PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Article

garyu69
29-12-03, 12:35
Click Here (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13350)

Back at work but i enjoyed reading this.

Q`alooaith
29-12-03, 12:51
ha ha..

now come's the scary bit, what happen's when MS start's falling appart at the seams..

Beanie McChimp
29-12-03, 12:51
That adds fuel to the xboxvs ps2 debate:D "ps2 has more financial security" lol
If linux supported every game I would surely get it but I don't kno wmuch about it.

Q`alooaith
29-12-03, 13:30
if I could get half my game's to run on linux I'd be a convert, but since my current window's work's well enough I'll probably not change till my computer outgrow's the OS again (this computer outgrew win 95, 98 and XP fit's for now, not bad, the only thing that's the same are the screw's and the outer case)

[SP]Ostrich
29-12-03, 14:44
if neocron worked in linux, i would convert... i need a new hobby anyway ;)

garyu69
29-12-03, 15:31
Once i get my replacement Hard Drive for the one that died i am going to install Linux on that and mess around with it to see what it can do.

I don't really know anything about Linux so it will be quite fun.

Could someone fill me in on the reasons why something like Neocron wouldn't work on NC?
Is it basically the same reasons why something works on a PC but not a Mac?

*Puts on Dunce Hat*

ElfinLord
29-12-03, 15:37
Originally posted by garyu69
Could someone fill me in on the reasons why something like Neocron wouldn't work on NC?
*Puts on Dunce Hat*
You mean Linux, right? :p

I think you are basically right.

Neocron was coded to run on and 'optimized' for Windows.

garyu69
29-12-03, 15:40
oops, i must have NC on the brain, lol

El_MUERkO
29-12-03, 16:10
What chancel kk releasing a Linux Neocron client?

ElfinLord
29-12-03, 16:12
Originally posted by El_MUERkO
What chancel kk releasing a Linux Neocron client?
My best guess?

Slim to none and slim left town. :)

How long has it taken to finish DoY? I shudder to think how long it would take to port NC to Linux.

Psyco Groupie
29-12-03, 17:05
guys you cna dual boot windows and linux on the same hdd .. either by partitioning or using a boot menu .. google is your friend :)

Morris
29-12-03, 17:11
Hardly an unbiased article, and that's coming from a long-time Linux user. Still an interesting piece tho.

ElfinLord
29-12-03, 17:12
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
guys you cna dual boot windows and linux on the same hdd .. either by partitioning or using a boot menu .. google is your friend :)
You are so right. I am such a dumbass for not realizing that. :rolleyes:

What if I don't want to dual boot? What if I just wanted to run Linux? What then? Do you or Google have an answer for that?

Starving Poet
29-12-03, 17:12
Linux was invented so people could bitch about things not running on Linux. It's like a new-age macintosh.

Beanie McChimp
29-12-03, 18:32
If Linux is more stable on a server than windows the why doesn't KK switch to linux then the servers will be better. wont they?

RuriHoshino
29-12-03, 23:27
Originally posted by Beanie McChimp
If Linux is more stable on a server than windows the why doesn't KK switch to linux then the servers will be better. wont they?

Because the server software was written to run on NT. It would have to be entirely recoded to work on Linux.

Mumblyfish
29-12-03, 23:31
I had Linux for a while. Hated it. Can't see any reason to use Linux for anything other than a dedicated server OS. Damn thing doesn't even KNOW the meaning of user-friendly.

In the meantime, I'll stick with easy to boot, easy to work, does everything under the sun, never crashes, quick, runs all my programs Windows XP Pro.

RuriHoshino
30-12-03, 00:13
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
I had Linux for a while. Hated it. Can't see any reason to use Linux for anything other than a dedicated server OS. Damn thing doesn't even KNOW the meaning of user-friendly.

In the meantime, I'll stick with easy to boot, easy to work, does everything under the sun, never crashes, quick, runs all my programs Windows XP Pro.

*cough cough*
ummm...can I get you to ship me some of the pharmaceuticals your taking? :D

the underline is mine

jernau
30-12-03, 02:34
Originally posted by garyu69
Click Here (http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=13350)

Back at work but i enjoyed reading this.

Looks like a standard issue weenie article to me. Nothing new or useful in there. 50% opinionated twaddle and 50% half-truths and data taken wildly out of context.

What the beardies and the /.ers refuse to realise is that technology markets are little to do with technological superiority so even if Linux where everything they claim (which it isn't) it wouldn't help them one little bit.

MS are on top becuase they sell people what they think they want and understand. MS changes to fit it's market - Linux-nuts want the market to change to suit them. It won't so they write articles like this to make themselves feel better.

Omnituens
30-12-03, 02:47
is that a 'Flame Editor' link i see at the bottom of the article :lol:

XP never crashes? lmao. you are on drugs.

jernau
30-12-03, 02:52
Originally posted by Omnituens
XP never crashes? lmao. you are on drugs.

XP blows wet monkey. Nuff said.

Omnituens
30-12-03, 03:54
Originally posted by jernau
XP blows wet monkey. Nuff said.
we are the Anti-XP party!

Morris
30-12-03, 03:59
Originally posted by jernau
Linux-nuts want the market to change to suit them. It won't so they write articles like this to make themselves feel better.

The absolute best way to get lots of angry responses on /. without coming off as a troll is to question the Guardian's objectivity. Erm, not that I would know :angel:

Judge
30-12-03, 04:01
Hey XP is O.K.

The only irritating feature is that it assumes that all computer users have the intelligence of a small piece of concrete. Well I suppose it does cater for the american market as well....

(joke, please don't ban/sue me :( )

ichinin
30-12-03, 04:46
I've seen pictures of my other addiction, Morrowind, running on Linux. There was some sound issues, but the program that ran MW under linux was still in beta so it looks good.

There are now even NVidia GForce drivers for Linux(!), soon i hope to migrate from Microcrash.