PDA

View Full Version : roleplay

TWOK
28-12-03, 03:37
This might seem like a dumb post to some, but it's something that I've been thinking about whilst unable to play NC for the last few months (I get a new PC in a few day's time, can't wait to get back into the game :) )

NC is the first and only mmorpg I've played, so roleplay is still new to me. The 3 months I have played on saturn were mainly spent hunting/trading, talking with freinds and the occasional OP fight. Not once can I say I've tried to RP, or have I been around other RPs, maybe I have but it was so subtle I didn't recognise it. For example a clan member (tank), would trash talk in plaza 1 about his (false) greatness and generally say stupid things (I liked him regardless), but on an alt he was quite different. At the time I wasn't sure what to make of him, but it's clear he was trying to create characters. Probably obvious to lot's of you, except me at the time.

So this was his way of RP, what I would like to know is how do others use roleplay? Looking at the newbie forum and their guides, you can learn about the first steps into neocron, etc, but there's no mention of roleplay techniques. Just a sticky with a few paragraphs talking about general roleplay might encourage new players to think about it and possibly inspire current none RPs to experiment a little. :)

Benjie
28-12-03, 04:28
Roleplay is usually variations on midle english, beause most roleplay games have a medivil fantasy theme. Roleplaying Neocron is a little different.

Basicly what I do is address people by there faction when I do not like them. IE I am Black Dragon and I get poked by Tsuanami, I would respond by saying. "Thankyou Tsuanami" rather than "thankyou Mick"

It is very VERY bad roleplay to run into a hunting ground and kill any reds you see, despite what IDIOTS tell you. However good roleplay would be to become angry at the presence of an anemy faction and discuss it with them. Try bribing them, ir if they are weaker than you you could possibly try threats. This is only if you are playing an excesivly violent person though, so don't feel like you have to do it.

It is very good roleplay to hand around with faction enemies, as long as you don't ignore the faction hostility whilst in conversation, but feel free to trust them as an individual. :)

Make up your own rules. Do what feels comfertable. Join a faction and clan that harmonises with what you want to roleplay. Thats why I am black dragon after all. :) Most important of all, have fun doing it.

For example a clan member (tank), would trash talk in plaza 1 about his (false) greatness and generally say stupid things (I liked him regardless), but on an alt he was quite different. At the time I wasn't sure what to make of him, but it's clear he was trying to create characters.
yeah that is very good roleplaying. It annoys me when people come from mmorpg's where roleplaying is considered as being saying thee istead of you and Thy instead of My, and then they come along and say bad things about Roleplaying in neocron. This is a perfect example where it is easy to think that your friend is just being an ass, but actually he is roleplaying as an ass. (or whatever, i wasn't there! :))

Carn
28-12-03, 04:57
I kinda thought there'd be more roleplaying in Neocron. There's really not a lot of it, and I think it would be better if there was. For my first character, the tank Carn on Pluto, I had never roleplayed before or even played any MMORPGs before, so I never really roleplayed with him. But now I have two characters on Saturn that I roleplay with a lot. Zerei, a pistol PE who greatly despises all mutants, also a slight alcoholic. :) Taelim, a droner researching spy of CityAdmin, kind but shy, and curious as to what exactly took place in MC5. (possible reason to switch factions later) I wish more people would roleplay. But what you see a lot of in Neocron is basically what you'd see in any other online game, like Half-Life or Counterstrike. A lot of "rofl n00b"s "roflmao" "omg nub" etc. People just try to degrade others just like in those other mp games. It's really kinda depressing. I think some people need to mature a little.

I only know about 4 perfect roleplayers. They are always in character and they do a hell of a good job acting like their characters. I have a lot more respect for those people than the damned "1337s".

CarniFlex
28-12-03, 06:35
so because someone is screaming 1 0wn y0 nib!!1111 hes not roleplaying a maleovent crackhead nerd whos brain is so jacked up he needs constant drugging to keep his reality "reality"? Just because some people think they are allowed on a enemy faction op ground doesnt mean the op owner or allieds think so. Who knows they might be the scout force coming to scout enemy troops in the area and turrets placing. Why not take em out before they can do their spying?

/edit *goes off looking in my cabinet after those old "how to roleplay" guides in AD&D*

Spectra260
28-12-03, 06:41
you dont have to look/talk/act like a bafoon to roleplay...

you role play simply by standing in plaza 1 saying your a researching and accepting any jobs...

you role play by going to PvP areas and killing enemy faction members...

to role play you dont have to make it terribly obvious, like going up to a person and saying

"Gooday runner! oye those damn grim chasers nearly fried my arse off while i was running away from them over by syncon, while i was spying on an enemy clan meeting using my long range scout drone..."

thats just dumb:rolleyes:

Sealdude
28-12-03, 07:34
Its kinda hard to RP when all the l337 kiddies are like "You N00b! STFU what are youz 7?" It is also hard to push around people lower then you because you know someone will walk in and take it the wrong way and pk you.

TWOK
28-12-03, 07:41
Originally posted by Carn
I have two characters on Saturn that I roleplay with a lot. Zerei, a pistol PE who greatly despises all mutants, also a slight alcoholic. :) Taelim, a droner researching spy of CityAdmin, kind but shy,

That's great having a character with all those quirks :) When you play an offline RPG you will meet lot's of unusual and different people, some make you laugh and some might freak you out with their strange persona. It would be great to see more people making an effort to be unique. Imagine going to plaza 1 for something and there's Rufus, a drug addled repairer with a shoe fettish. Hand over your boot's for repair at your own risk, he has a habit of getting overly attached to them. You might be able to persuade him to hand them back by pretending to share his "kink"

Originally posted by Benjie
It annoys me when people come from mmorpg's where roleplaying is considered as being saying thee istead of you and Thy instead of My, and then they come along and say bad things about Roleplaying in neocron.

I'd love to see someone say Thy or Yee, it might not fit the cyber punk style but at least they will stand out in a sea of homogenised net speak. You could give your character a lisp/stammer "a..aa..aaa...anany...any..pp..pp..popokers?" This might get you muted by most though :) Also writing your own emotes in conversation to show body language or tone of voice, like:

Bubus: lift's his meaty hand in the air and clumsilly aims towards Lisa's head, he misses and catches her ear with his fat fingers, sending some hair into her eyes "HELLO LITTLE GIRL" he blurts out.

Just to see people spending time to entertain each other instead of playing who can type a sentence in 3 seconds...and look cool.

Matthew.v.smith
28-12-03, 21:46
TWOK who are u on saturn?

Matty.:angel:

TWOK
28-12-03, 22:58
Just a fellow FA (that's if you still are), fuzzies changed to BD and you were with them right? can't remember.

You certainly don't need to create a RP char Mathew, quite the one already :)

Matthew.v.smith
28-12-03, 23:00
Hehe :)

Nope We are still FA and along with me :D

oh were u once in fuzzies?

Matty.

Matthew.v.smith
28-12-03, 23:09
TWOK u wouldent happen to be Gir.Obrien would u?

:)

Matty:angel:

ezza
28-12-03, 23:16
Originally posted by Benjie
Roleplay is usually variations on midle english, beause most roleplay games have a medivil fantasy theme. Roleplaying Neocron is a little different.

Basicly what I do is address people by there faction when I do not like them. IE I am Black Dragon and I get poked by Tsuanami, I would respond by saying. "Thankyou Tsuanami" rather than "thankyou Mick"

It is very VERY bad roleplay to run into a hunting ground and kill any reds you see, despite what IDIOTS tell you. However good roleplay would be to become angry at the presence of an anemy faction and discuss it with them. Try bribing them, ir if they are weaker than you you could possibly try threats. This is only if you are playing an excesivly violent person though, so don't feel like you have to do it.

It is very good roleplay to hand around with faction enemies, as long as you don't ignore the faction hostility whilst in conversation, but feel free to trust them as an individual. :)

i would agree with you if it was just a avarage joe in the faction, hey he dont want no trouble hes just trying to earn a living.

but say your a trigger man for the black dragon, your job is to take out your enemy, then i wouldnt discuss it with them, i dont want to hear what they say, for they may sway me with there sugar coated words.

i have to be ruthless, sure maybe there vould of been a peaceful solution to the situation, but one day that say nice tsunami will try and stick a bullet in my head.

well i say strike first, of course to everyone who "roleplays" it aint about having the guns do the talking.

FFS TSUNAMI AND BLACK DRAGON ARE AT WAR, there 2 rival gangs, both hate each other, tsunami closed out gambling dens down with the help of city admin, in the old days, that hurt the dragon, shit like that aint forgotten you know, when you aint got money, the streets of pepper park are unforgiving, your own faction will stick a knife in your back for a few creds, why on earth would i let my enemy even get the chance to conteplate such a thing.

edit: if i cought a tank saying thee and thou shit like that, id have to gun him down on the spot for being a educated sell out of a tank, were big dumb and tout a gun ok

TWOK
28-12-03, 23:22
No that's not me, never been in fuzzies :)

Krll
29-12-03, 20:58
Damn, this discussion is making me want to play my PE on Saturn now, but my account has expired. :(

-Krll