PDA

View Full Version : OC:Video Card Overclocking

shodanjr_gr
28-12-03, 00:28
Anyone into this "sport"?

I just installed some hacked drivers for my Ati Radeon 9800 SE which supposidly (sp) turn it into a Radeon 9800. I did notice a 10% increase of performance in Aquamark 3 (from 21500 i got 23700 marks) which i consider it quite decent.

Has anyone tried similar stunts?

Is it safe? Any risk for my hardware?

Nvidia
28-12-03, 00:49
With Nvidia-based cards, you can use a WONDERFUL OCing program called Riva-Tuner... used it in the past, had no problems with it, although OCing did make my computer a bit unstable. I am not sure, however on ATI cards. Been looking for an ATI OCing program for a long time, have yet to find one :(

shodanjr_gr
28-12-03, 01:50
Originally posted by Nvidia
With Nvidia-based cards, you can use a WONDERFUL OCing program called Riva-Tuner... used it in the past, had no problems with it, although OCing did make my computer a bit unstable. I am not sure, however on ATI cards. Been looking for an ATI OCing program for a long time, have yet to find one :(

Well i tried softmodding the card (installing hack drivers that increase performance) but i got some graphical artifacts and i reverted back to the original ones. What troubles me is the performance of my card in stuff like 3d mark 2001 SE where i get just 8000 marks while it should be much much more. Im kinda confused now.

Beanie McChimp
28-12-03, 02:46
Hey Nvidia what nvidia (im a poet and I know it) card was it you overclocked? and what was the fps like?

Nvidia
28-12-03, 07:20
It was a GeForce 2 MX400 64 meg version, believe it or not :lol:

I shoved a HUGE fan on that bitch, and used some heatsinks for the memory I bought off newegg.

I believe Core clock was 197.5 mhz and Memory was 168... Not sure though.

I bumped the core to 275 mhz and the memory to 395...

The FPS were awesome, almost a 75% improvement. However, it made most games/applications EXTREMELY unstable. In the end... it was fun to try, but not worth keeping around for the long run. So I went out and bought a GeForce FX 5600 Ultra... haven't tried to OC that, yet :D

\\Fényx//
28-12-03, 08:30
sho overclocking invalidates your warranty on the card if it fucks up or burns out due to it

shodanjr_gr
28-12-03, 12:19
THe point is that there is no way for the company to figure out if i oced teh card. The softmod are just alternative drivers that unlock the extra 4 pixel pipelines on the card effectively making it a plain Radeon 9800. If i remove the drivers and install the original ones, the 4 pipelines are disabled and i got again my 9800 SE. Since i do not flash the bios of the card or try to modify it by installing extra cooling etc etc there is no way for the shop i bought the card from to tell me that I voided my warranty on the grounds that I oced my card.

AndyUK
28-12-03, 13:42
they wudnt pay anyway.

they wud say ur gfx card blowing up was an act of god or somethink :O

shodanjr_gr
28-12-03, 13:44
Originally posted by AndyUK
they wudnt pay anyway.

they wud say ur gfx card blowing up was an act of god or somethink :O
Oh yes they will.
Heck so far ive blown 4 mobos due to my fault (1 due to flashing it wrong, 3 due to static electricity).

I got all 4 of em replaced free of charge :-)

slaughteruall
28-12-03, 19:59
Sho check this site out. Just about every Overclocking question you have can be answered here (www.overclockers.com).

Slaughter