PDA

View Full Version : Hacking Accounts

james_finn
27-12-03, 02:57
I'd like to know officially what KK is doing to stop these account hacks, and also why the compensation for such a malicious attempt at stopping people play nc is so pitiful. I have a ingame friend who now has been hacked twice in a month, I luckily am yet to be hacked but I could not imagine what I would do if I was.

Also how many people have had their accounts hacked, lets have a rough estimate, because KK needs to do something about it. Or they will loose such a huge part of the expierienced player base.

A disappointed

Delphi

ezza
27-12-03, 03:00
dunno what they are going about it seems fuck all tbh.

got my account hacked, but beyond offering to reset my merc epic(which was nice of them at least)they done nothing, whats worse is i knew the person in game who fenced my hacked equipment, sent screenys to show some proof, but never heard anything so i though fuck it:mad:

-FN-
27-12-03, 03:00
Shit :( Not again :(

Put me down for 3 hacks, tho I do know how one of them happened.

Ascension
27-12-03, 03:01
Originally posted by -FN-
Shit :( Not again :(

Put me down for 3 hacks, tho I do know how one of them happened.

how?:(

Comie
i got hacked too.. me anout about 7 others i know of.. outside of yur friend.. i got nothing bar a '
we dont recover hacked accounts look at this web page

With lots of love

Steven bast'

Military Ten
man i got my account hacked 3 times thats why i cancelled it

my capped tank got deleted
my almost capped PPU (Raven.) from Uranus got deleted but I got him back then I deleted him cuz I started my Melee Tank
my PE Military Ten got deleted 3 times in a row
then my tank Military Ten got deleted
then my PE cyborg 009 got deleted

james_finn
27-12-03, 03:02
And this is just obviously the tip of the ice-burg....

Rento Webex
27-12-03, 03:02
I got hacked twice.

The second time I know how it happened, PM me for info.

Redburn
27-12-03, 03:08
Well it can't be from requesting your account password to be emailed to you anymore....Tried that last week on a new account I started it works up to the point of saying the email was sent but it does send any email. So that way of getting ones password is out.....now it's going to be more of a problem with KK's database being hacked remoting or interinally if from what I've read on the forums, people are more careful with the handling of the account names and passwords....

james_finn
27-12-03, 03:08
the horrible thing is that I know that appartments (used to be) are able to be rolled back on the server and have all their stuff back. But I dont know how feasible it would be for kk to go thru the code to find out where the stuff went and then delete them :eek: seems such a shame, im very disappointed

Archeus
27-12-03, 04:41
Mentioned in one of the GM threads, if you have a hotmail account a player can guess your secret word if you have picked the obvious answer (eg. What is your mothers maiden name).

People are more careful with the handling of the account names and passwords....

The majority of people on the net are absoulty dire at handling account names and passwords.

Check your machine for any hacks, get a virus checker, Ad-Aware and a good firewall (hardware). Beyond that patch your system and dump IE for another browser.

And this is just obviously the tip of the ice-burg....

Tip of what iceburg? Unless something changed in the last couple of weeks a poll on was your account hacked showed a minute number of people complaining and nearly all of them were related to the hotmail or giving thier username/password to others.

ezza
27-12-03, 05:10
well in my case i dont use hotmail and noone knows my pwords

Eddie
27-12-03, 05:27
Originally posted by ezza
well in my case i dont use hotmail and noone knows my pwords

... except KK, which I suspect is where the passwords are leaking out from, having known many people who are very security concious being hacked.

Eddie

ezza
27-12-03, 05:28
Originally posted by Eddie
... except KK, which I suspect is where the passwords are leaking out from, having known many people who are very security concious being hacked.

Eddie

:\

id be careful what you imply there eddie.

Revslad
27-12-03, 10:05
ive herd it in the past people say they got hacked and then you feel sorry for them and give them some nice stuff...money rares...and all allong it was a fucking trick to con you...im not saying that all the guys who have bene hacked is lieing ..but i jus dont know when to belive it anymore...:confused:

Spectra260
27-12-03, 12:02
theres a flaw in IE that allows people, if they know how to, to be able to view your registry.

through that they can get your neocron account name and password (only if you have it saved into the game though...i think) thats where that whole, "dont use the save password feature" was coming from..

its possible to do this just by using some type of thing, not sure what, in say like a forum signature... then basically anyone who loaded the sig on the page can be exposed...

i think there was suppose to be a security update for IE that was suppsoe to fix this, but i heard that it didnt...

and if i remember right, KK staff employes even said that this way was most likely the main way the hacker(s) were doing it...

Archeus
27-12-03, 12:27
IE is a big gaping swinging door onto the internet. There are so many exploits with it, its not funny.

Get firebird (smaller/faster) or mozilla. Or Opera.

That's a pretty flakey basis for proof? For starters there are few people getting hacked. Noticed also a lot of the people getting hacked all know each other?

Ka0s^
27-12-03, 12:52
i use firebird, is it worth uninstalling IE6 alltogether?

Eddie
27-12-03, 19:46
Originally posted by ezza
:\

id be careful what you imply there eddie.

Heh.. that is a logical conclusion (being the only 'common' factor between all the people who have been hacked) and I'm only putting forward my opinion which can (and hopefully will) be investigated.

Eddie

KimmyG
27-12-03, 19:51
Originally posted by james_finn
I'd like to know officially what KK is doing to stop these account hacks, and also why the compensation for such a malicious attempt at stopping people play nc is so pitiful. I have a ingame friend who now has been hacked twice in a month, I luckily am yet to be hacked but I could not imagine what I would do if I was.

They cant do much to prevent much cause this burden is on the player if you got weak saftey on your e-mail there is not much they can do.

As for compensation for every hacked out account that was truely hacked there will be someone who will try and abuse any compensation. Anyway I dont think the accounts hacked where KK's fault more of the runners fault.

Epzilon
28-12-03, 01:08
Originally posted by Military Ten
man i got my account hacked 3 times thats why i cancelled it

my capped tank got deleted
my almost capped PPU (Raven.) from Uranus got deleted but I got him back then I deleted him cuz I started my Melee Tank
my PE Military Ten got deleted 3 times in a row
then my tank Military Ten got deleted
then my PE cyborg 009 got deleted

A deleted characted cannot be recovered.

Possessed
28-12-03, 01:17
Originally posted by Epzilon
A deleted characted cannot be recovered.

It can, but sans items.

Eddie
28-12-03, 02:32
Originally posted by Possessed
It can, but sans items.

Which is rather pointless: as what's the point of having a character that meets all the requirements, yet has nothing to use (i.e. the thing that is required for PvP: high slotted/statted rares).

Half the fun of levelling up is to progress and use better/more powerful weapons.

Eddie

shodanjr_gr
28-12-03, 02:39
Originally posted by Eddie
Which is rather pointless: as what's the point of having a character that meets all the requirements, yet has nothing to use (i.e. the thing that is required for PvP: high slotted/statted rares).

Half the fun of levelling up is to progress and use better/more powerful weapons.

Eddie

Doh, thats so stupid.

Umm lets see, errr saving you the pain of going through all those senseless leveling threadmills that exist in the game?

If you are in a semi-decent clan getting requiped with rares is really easy.

g0rt
28-12-03, 04:05
stopping account hacks is as simple as....

1) not telling ANYONE you do not PERSONALLY know your login/password. and by PERSONALLY know I mean they live within a 30 mile radius around your house and you go to the bar on weekends with em :p not ur INTERNET FRIEND who has nothing to lose by haxing ur acct

2) keeping your login/password quite difficult. my login/passwords always have numbers and letters, some of my favorite passwords are pretty much just a jumble of letters and numbers like 'quidj3nf8s2' or something of that sort. if you take 15 minutes and just type it over and over you will remember it forever, not hard to make a hardass password, and a wierd login is good too

3) watch out what third party programs you use, the main ones are fine like neolauncher pro, character creator by smoker, etc, but avoid the shady ones that no ones really heard of or used before

4) don't use NOOB email services like shitty hotmail, yahoo mail, etc they are all CRAP. use your ISP mail, or if you know how use your own email server...like I do. why use someone elses email server if you can run one yourself, just FOR yourself? that way you are guaranteed that no one can read your server-side stored mails, and no one can HAX IT as long as you have a well secured server.

remember...HOTMAIL = BAD, your_name@your_domain.??? = GOOD

5) when you sign up for non-official neocron forums or sites such as the Double Helix forums, Neocron Refugee Forums, etc...*DO NOT USE YOUR NEOCRON FORUM ACCT LOGIN/PASS OR NEOCRON GAME ACCT LOGIN/PASS* - ffs I bet SO MANY PEOPLE use the same login/password for EVERYTHING...so basically when you're signing up for these things, they're getting your neocron login/password at the same time

i follow all of those steps and lookie...my accts have never been touched...and I have a HELL of alot to lose, people that know me know just how much shit i have on my accts.

ericdraven
28-12-03, 07:12
99,99% of the people who get "hacked" do deserve it because of their own stupidity (ie telling passwords to "friends", not patching their pc, not using firewalls and and and).

Lev
28-12-03, 08:15
Originally posted by ericdraven
99,99% of the people who get "hacked" do deserve it because of their own stupidity (ie telling passwords to "friends", not patching their pc, not using firewalls and and and).

Thats pretty harsh eric I know a majority of people who got hacked either IRL or froma very long time in game, none of them had an obvious security flaw and using a firewall like zone alarm will do next to naught to someone who really wants in.

--Lev

g0rt
28-12-03, 08:44
Originally posted by Lev
Thats pretty harsh eric I know a majority of people who got hacked either IRL or froma very long time in game, none of them had an obvious security flaw and using a firewall like zone alarm will do next to naught to someone who really wants in.

--Lev

what u nibs need is iptables, makes zone alarm look like a piece of shit

ahhhh -j DROP , possibly my favorite flag ever

[SP]Ostrich
28-12-03, 08:55
bleh... i seem to break all the safety rules, and i've never been haxxed yet. *please dont take that as an invitation to hack me!*