PDA

View Full Version : What will MMORPGs be like in 10 years?

RayBob
26-12-03, 05:15
The MMORPG industry is pretty damn young. Tell me what you think MMORPGs will be like in the future.

Cad
26-12-03, 05:16
erm, full of bugs and exploits, much like todays MMO's.

RayBob
26-12-03, 05:20
A few of my own speculations to get the ball rolling...

-The terrain and buildings can be permanently altered by the actions of players. Hills can be leveled, buildings destroyed, etc.

-Weather will be more important. Random sand, rain, snow, and thunder storms will affect players and the terrain.

-Players will grow hair, get scars, and otherwise be much more unique.

Cad
26-12-03, 05:24
Maybe we'll get an MMORPG with a perfect combat system, balance in PvP, tradeskill and general fun things to do, a playerbase that can roleplay as well as hold his own in a battle and maybe, plenty of fun events. And maybe i'll cure this rash near my crotch. :eek: :p

KramerTheWeird
26-12-03, 05:32
I couldn't even tell you how the world will be in 10 years, let alone talk about mmorpgs.

Moofausa
26-12-03, 05:42
hmm in 10 years? not german made? ummm not buggy dont crash hrmmmm good role playing?

ElfinLord
26-12-03, 06:23
Too real to bother playing?

Virtual reality not played on a PC, maybe on a PC? (You know like what Michael Douglass used in that movie Disclosure or what Keanu Reeves used in Johnney Mnemonic.)

Opar
26-12-03, 12:15
In 10 years we will be playing on 10000+ Athlons and 10.5ghz Pentium 9s.

Oh yeah, and we'll be cooped up in a corner with our 5.5ghz Reakktor-portables playing 'Neocron 3: Beyond Tokyo II' for all eternity!

0wned.

MrBane
26-12-03, 12:15
It's a rather moot point, because the theory that determines how the power of computers advances, should mean that in 10 years we are able to be fully immersed in a 3d environment.

However, game wise, I think finally, after much ado, they will have realised the perfect concept, the perfect system, and what you will find is that every MMO will follow this basic foundation, and all that will alter is the setting / time period / style.

The one thing an MMO needs, is the dedication and research to create the ultimate Player Decision coding, which would allow Players to ascend to a place of real power and impact within the game, whereby the position holds power to make and command other players, but whereby those other players can, with effort, remove that player from that position, whilst avoiding the ping-pong effect of constantly changing command.

The best example of that I can think of, was the old number MMO's, like Magewars and Utopia, where it was just a screen of numbers and stats.

You'd be part of a 'Country' or whatever it was called, with 30 or so players in your Country, with dozens of different options for cross-collaboration and resource sharing between yourselves, and where one person could be voted by Majority into the position of 'King' or 'Leader' of that Country, whom could then deal with the other Countries Leaders, develop treaties and trade deals, etcetc.

That was the perfect example, these MMO's would do well to look at some of those.

I still remember Utopia, and the time I was voted in, because of my development of the Home Guard system.
Each Province within the Kingdom had to 'donate' each week, a set number of troops to the Home Guard Province. This Province was responsible purely for the resource gathering and providing for these Units, and in times of War, the Council headed by myself, would decide what Province should recieve Home Guard support, and who we would strike at with them.

Fantastic days, fantastic. Rargh.

:D

Opar
26-12-03, 12:20
Eck... we're talking online games, not world-peace games MrBane :D Oh, wait... online political fighting!!! w00t!!!

Teh pwnz!!!!

MrBane
26-12-03, 12:34
People think...... "Politics....... Whup-te-fucking-do.."

Trust me, it'll be the most interactive game you'll have ever played. It's what Neocron -wants- to be, with the Factions and the Councils and Faction Chairmen, it's where it -should- be.. See my post about Storyline.

shodanjr_gr
26-12-03, 12:39
In 10 years i would say that actual VR will start to become widespread since equipment will get cheaper. Thus games will adopt this technology.

Furthermore game mechanics will be more dynamic. There will be no need for human GMs since advanced neural networks would be able to shape a games storyline according the players' actions with little or no human intervention.

Game graphics will become much more reallife and dynamic. Character customisation would be immense.

No more typing in chat windows, since natural speech will be used to communicate between players. There might even be some way of conveing face expression through the game.

Thats a few that pop in my head.

japata
26-12-03, 12:41
I _hope_ they will have an advanced chat system that enables roleplaying. I think the current non-RP'ing is because typing is slow, it's too hard or even impossible to express emotions and nuances in speech and basically makes roleplaying impossible.
You can't respond in an angry way except IN CAPITAL LETTERS, which just makes you look like a l33t CS-kid... ooh I so wish there were another method of chatting. Ooh ooh! And photorealistic interactive terrain!

Other than that, MMORPG's gonna be bugged, their forums flamed, GM's blaimed, developers criticized aaaand there will be the l33t CS-kids who TYPE IN CAPS. :)

msdong
26-12-03, 13:06
like someone say before we get all those fancy stuff in MMOG we know from the singel player.
Physics, Lightning and bigger Worlds that can be changed by players.
they want cool easy trading and things that look real in a context that isnt real. best example are shooter. Real weapon models but you have a health bar. PPL would like to play a miner half a day if it looks cool and if there is a lot of fire and monstes involved.

scars on player , maybe even players loosing legs and stuff will hardly make it into a game because it would mean you are not that shiny knight anymore. well it would work if this would be the start of another carreer like a pure VR hacker or you weelchar have 2 mounted gats on it but even then its only for a small player base.
and im shure that VR is the last thing ppl want.
this is all because ppl want to have fun and only a minority want to life in the game.

if we look on Singel player games the latst 10 years there are only a few new ideas everything else is just grafic evolution. we all love 3d until a unit hides behind a building and we forget to target it, adventures in 3D ? hey but only comic style please because that where the real ones. racing games - oh hey - there need to be volkswagens and porsches in it because i know them from the streets but make shure i can make an easy drift turn with it ;)

Original monk
26-12-03, 13:15
in 10 years my tigerblood-drugs will be worth soooo much :P

and in 10 years we come home and plug that cable in our ears (or bluetooth with a cpu in youre head for the richboys) and off you go to another virtual world, there will be no real diffrence between reality and virtuality :)

yust like in the matrix ;)

Ryuben
26-12-03, 13:37
any one read ted williams "otherwolrd" thats what mmo will be like in 10 years

RayBob
26-12-03, 15:00
I would like to see an MMORPG that has an end-game.

For example...

Let's say an MMORPG was based on some sort of world war. The 2 sides would be fighting in different parts of the planet and there would have to be some sort of leadership on each side devising a grand stategy. There would be front line battles as well as infiltrations behind the lines. Eventually, be it in 1, 2 or 5 years, one side would keep advancing the line and eventually annihilate their opponent.

The game would then be over--the server is wiped and a new war begins.

Tratos
26-12-03, 15:05
i would hope we'll all be wondering round on Irata III, lol but i think MMORPG's ill have no lag and most will be real time movment you see due to internet connections being the ultimate shiznit!!

imagines 100 gig net connection.......omfg...-bursts into tears-

~T

Xizor
26-12-03, 15:32
- Full VR

- Photorealistic graphic without any kinds of blur

- Possibilies to interact perfectly with the game world

- Perfect physics engine

- Perfect gameplay including balance, content, and an impossible-to-explore-to-the-point-where-you-have-seen-everything world, AI created storylines for each player, AI controlled events on the server (how hard can it be to script 20WBs spawning in PP1 every 6 days? ;)) (I am DEFINATELY not sure on this one, there could be so much, but also very little it depends on that someone gets a good idea.)
- A all-in-one MMORPG where you can do everything you want to, kill, die, trade, get money, kill eh.. Maybe in a real world environment or maybe in another it is hard to say.

Just some of it, it is also possible that some will play VR and some will not. Personally it would be cool to show a Plasma Cannon up someones ass in full VR then pull the trigger? :D

Torteth
26-12-03, 15:44
I think MMORPGs will be banned, like most other addictive drugs.

Think about how addictive a fully immsersive and totally realistic online game would become!

I for one would never leave, why live in the real world when you can live in a better fantasy world, as a knight in shining armour, a sneaky drug smuggler or a valiant jedi..,?

Style
26-12-03, 15:53
people will be able to run shops, bars, clubs etc

owners of clubs will be able to upload mp3s to stream and play music for full experiance so ppl actually go to clubs.

item loot when a player dies when the MMO creators relize the lack of publicity is not due to advertising but due to the fact people are not intrested in playing MMOs if you gain nothing but an ego from killin someone, get that in any other game right. for free. players ant originality, and the 'cyberpunk' in neocron is the only thing that seperates it from ever quest, but im talking rule wise originality

Melkior
26-12-03, 18:16
otherland? those books pwn!!! =-P

Revslad
26-12-03, 18:51
lol i can see it now you oick up a game box of a mmorg in 10 years look at it looks all good then you get o the computer reqirements

minimum

pentium 11 12.5ghz
geforce 15 tl 8000 or equivilent
6gb ram
100gb free hd space

those will be teh days...i can see it now....run for your lives !!

msdong
26-12-03, 18:56
Originally posted by Revslad
100gb free hd space

damn it once again a game on 4 DVD because only 30% of all customers have BlueRayDrives in their PC :D

Q`alooaith
26-12-03, 19:17
Originally posted by Revslad
minimum

pentium 11 12.5ghz
geforce 15 tl 8000 or equivilent
6gb ram
100gb free hd space

You've got a dim outlook on the future, I think the min will be..

1 Gflop CPU, 1.2 Recomended
1Tb SMram, DDR SMram recomended

Note HD's are a thing of the past, with removable data meda storing many hudred's of GB or memory faster than current HD's most app's will run without covential OS's (take that MS) So you'll just plug in MMO Game disk and run from that.

Already nearing using living tissuse in computer's and leach cell's have already made simple calcualtion's for a computer on demand, so the next step is the GM PC, a living breathing machine, but if that's too scary for ya taste's there's alway's quantum computing.

SM stand's for Stored memory, SMram is currently under devlopment, able to store data without a charge it's the next step, and put the lopng boot cycle's to an end at last.

The future is both scary and bright..

Nasher
26-12-03, 19:45
Hard drives are already being replaced by "holodrives" which work on light (no moving parts), apparently they can store 1000s of times more data and are MUCH faster.

I would like to see an MMORPG that has an end-game.

I wouldnt, the whole point of MMORPGs is they have NO ending, or fixed storyline...

Duder
26-12-03, 19:50
Mmorpgs IN THE FUTURAR !!!!111 would still have the shitty artificial number skill system and have a leveling treadmill but some good looking but boring halo 2 graphics followed by a high monthly fee and loads of bugs and turn based because real time made some people too frustated that they couldnt eat popcorn and watch TV FROM TEH FUTUAR at the same time while letting their lvl 20 ranger hit the magical troll gnome automaticly.

Also the only good thing would be bigger ELEMENTAL DRAGONS HAWR HAWR HAWR!!!1111

Duder
26-12-03, 19:53
Originally posted by Q`alooaith

Already nearing using living tissuse in computer's and leach cell's have already made simple calcualtion's for a computer on demand, so the next step is the GM PC, a living breathing machine, but if that's too scary for ya taste's there's alway's quantum computing.

Sounds neat, but guess how many wierd erotic (?) fetishes and slash fanfiction would spawn from that computer alone?

Now theres a scary thought.

RuriHoshino
26-12-03, 20:30
Originally posted by Nasher
Hard drives are already being replaced by "holodrives" which work on light (no moving parts), apparently they can store 1000s of times more data and are MUCH faster.

These have already been prototyped. Capacity of 10GB on a 1 centimetre cube with a random access time of ~100 microseconds. There are at least 3 companies working on the engineering to get it to production level and it is expected to be available within 5 years.

*sigh* what it could do with storage like that:D

Beanie McChimp
26-12-03, 21:14
Just mix half-life 2 engine with the graphics of gran turismo 4 then the storyline of neocron (coolest storyline ever nuff said) and add VR headsets.

Q`alooaith
26-12-03, 22:30
Originally posted by Duder
Sounds neat, but guess how many wierd erotic (?) fetishes and slash fanfiction would spawn from that computer alone?

Now theres a scary thought.

Not realy, the unit's would have to be pretty much self sustained and contained.. That's the problem at the moment, they can already make computer's using living cell's to sort data, but you need a big ol tank of juice to keep em alive, and even then they don't last very long..

Ever seen the flick Exsisence, or however they spelt it, we're talking thing's like that almost, like a normal computer except it's covered in skin, and inside it's a fleshy creature grown to do tast's, a few port's implanted so you can add interface device's...

ben77890
27-12-03, 02:01
i reckon if its a global mmorpg, you would wear a headset thats a universal translator, so a guy in chinese talks to a guy in india and they understand each other:)

-FN-
27-12-03, 02:08
I hope better than that spoof Dragon Empires webpage o_O