PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with other companies?

RayBob
26-12-03, 05:05
If I had to pick one and only one feature which makes Neocron great, it would be that it is a true first person shooter MMORPG. I have searched every game site I could find for every existing and upcoming MMORPG and there are practically no MMORPGs that utilize FPS styled control.

There are so many big companies out there with deep pockets spending millions on new MMORPGs and I am shocked that these people don't realize how much better a MMORPG is with FPS control.

Ferabukoo
26-12-03, 11:07
i agree...

funny you said that.. i was talking about this on teamspeak with a friend

kk has no idea how much of a gold mine he has hit with Neocron. I have never played a mmorpg until neocron because i didnt like the point and click, i liked the fps. I played this and loved it. KK could be raking in the bling bling if they would just spend some money on fixing problems and advertising.

or they can wait for a major american game company to make a game like this and tell everyone "i shoulda this" "i shoulda that"

neocrons a great game, just needs some fixes and advertising.

Original monk
26-12-03, 11:13
ferabukoo, i dont like to say it but youre a 100% right, and they could be rankin the bling bling yeah ...

MrBane
26-12-03, 12:01
I worked very closely with Bohemia Interactive Studios and Codemasters when Operation Flashpoint was released, so I've seen how the Developers and the Publishers kind of give and take.

Now Codemasters are a good Publisher outfit, but there was still some tension between the two over release dates, content, deadlines, etcetc.

What you need to remember, is that any new Publisher that you approach, is not going to go:

"Oh, look at this game, it's so good, I'm going to shaft myself to get it loads of sales."

No, a Publisher worth their salt (IE: Bastard Publishing School) will try and argue and win themselves all the best rights, percentages and long-term tie-ins and christ knows what else, before they'll even begin to order the cases for the new print Cds.

Martin has to be careful that the Publisher he goes with, has a fair offer on the table, where the money will go more to Reakktor than to their pockets.

For example....... (Example, not 100% accurate)

Dodgy Stans Publishing House and Reakktor reach an agreement and sign a contract.

DS Publishing gets 60% of sales revenue, plus 10% fees and charges, but in return agree to publish and ship worldwide, with a large advertising campaign. The large advertising campaign is going to be on television and all other major media formats. Thus they can negotiate for such a high sales percentage.

So Reakktor agree, and hey, Neocron is on TV now!!

So Reakktor make a nice wad of cash, and DS Publishing makes a crapload more.

However, six months or a year down the line, the five year contract they signed has gone strangely pear-shaped.

Why?

Well, DS Publishing is still getting 60% of sales, but their advertising commitment has now expired, and they are now only liable for publishing and distributing. So new players aren't really being brought into the game through the mass media exposure anymore, and Reakktor, having had a HUGE influx of new players, are finding their resources stretched, but are still stuck on the paltry 40% income from sales, yet the demand now placed on servers and Staff, which at the start were easily satisfied with the 40%, now cannot be handled.

So it's either contract re-negotiation time, or contract cancellation time, which would carry a massive legal cost to pull out of.

So this is one example of what can happen, and why it simply is not as simple as getting a company to print and post your Cd's to stores.

Don't forget, we are all Gamers, but the people at the top, the real men with the power, the Accountants and Lawyers, are not gamers, they are money makers, and they will beast Reakktor for every penny they can get, regardless of the long-term effect on the game and its Community.

Thus Martin sees this, is aware of this, and has to take his time to be very careful about whom he signs the contract with, and very sure of what he's getting for his money.

Look at CDV... What a fart in the wind that was... Now their contract might have been just like that example above, it certainly seemed that way, as no-one could buy the damn game...

So it's all about time, patience, and a hell of a lot of caution.

Opar
26-12-03, 12:12
*mugs big-money Publisher guy*

You WILL publish this game, you WILl give us 70% of the income plus 5% to buy a new pimp car and you WILl ship this shit all over the world. thanks

An ideal world.

Psyco Groupie
26-12-03, 12:15
in the real world we use money not bling ... :rolleyes:

Opar
26-12-03, 12:17
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
in the real world we use money not bling ... :rolleyes:

But with Bling you can go pimpin in Hannover (is thats where Martin likes to go 'pimpin') ^^

Beanie McChimp
26-12-03, 14:28
I'll tell you whats wrong with SOE they're retarded.

RayBob
26-12-03, 14:50
Originally posted by Ferabukoo
i agree...

funny you said that.. i was talking about this on teamspeak with a friend

kk has no idea how much of a gold mine he has hit with Neocron. I have never played a mmorpg until neocron because i didnt like the point and click, i liked the fps. I played this and loved it. KK could be raking in the bling bling if they would just spend some money on fixing problems and advertising.

or they can wait for a major american game company to make a game like this and tell everyone "i shoulda this" "i shoulda that"

neocrons a great game, just needs some fixes and advertising. Fixes and advertising but most importantly...MORE CONTENT. BDoY will hopefully fix that.

I learned today of a new MMORPG due out sometime in 2005. It is being developed by Mythic Entertainment (of DAoC fame) so it will have a very talented team behind it and I am sure great depth of content. It interests me because it does not have a fantasy theme. Unfortunately, it will also NOT have a FPS styled combat sytem. Here is an excerpt from a Q&A...

Lepidus: In terms of combat, how do you envision the Imperator Online combat system working?

Mark Jacobs: The combat system for IO will be as different from most, if not all, current MMORPGS as night from day. Players will need to be quite involved in the decision-making process during combat and you will not want to leave your screen while in the middle of a melee. While there will be the usual suspects of skills, styles, lots of cool weapons, armor, etc., the way they will all interact together will be closer, in many ways, to an FPS than a RPG except that good hand-eye coordination will not be needed.

"good hand-eye coordination will not be needed" :( They should play Neocron.

http://www.imperatoronline.com/