PDA

View Full Version : Cyberpunk - Or lack off

Syntax-Error
24-12-03, 17:16
Its been getting more and more clear . that neocron isnt really a Cyberpunk game. i mean there are some Cyberpunk'ish things here and there. a slight cyberpunk shading.. but its just not.. Cyberpunk.

It this just me or do others feel the same?

shodanjr_gr
24-12-03, 17:18
The game does fell a bit like fallout. But it feels nothing like shadowrun. And for me shadowrun is the definition of cyberpunk.

ezza
24-12-03, 17:19
some elements of cyberpunk, but its more post apocalyptic than anything

greendonkeyuk
24-12-03, 18:23
its more judge dredd than shadowrun..... shame really shadowrun owns.

Mumblyfish
24-12-03, 18:26
It's Neocron. And I like it as it is.

Marx
24-12-03, 18:28
^^ What he said ^^

ezza
24-12-03, 18:31
Originally posted by Mumblyfish

holy shit hes right

greendonkeyuk
24-12-03, 18:42
id love it if my graphics worked again so i could play some.

Tratos
24-12-03, 19:57
Originally posted by Mumblyfish

Aye same here.

~T

Gotterdammerung
24-12-03, 20:00
Define "cyberpunk" please

ezza
24-12-03, 20:01
Originally posted by Gotterdammerung
Define "cyberpunk" please

a cyborg with a mohawk:p

Syntax-Error
24-12-03, 20:10
cyberpunk - a genre of fast-paced science fiction involving oppressive futuristic compterized societies

cyberpunk - science fiction set in a lawless subculture of an oppressive society dominated by computer technology

Here (http://www.cwrl.utexas.edu/~tonya/cyberpunk/papers/serhat1.html)

And here (http://project.cyberpunk.ru/idb/definition.html)

KimmyG
24-12-03, 20:10
The game is fun thats all I care about

Jest
24-12-03, 20:28
I don't think it necessarily needs to fit into any sort of genre. As was said, its Neocron.

Though personally I define cyberpunk as "high tech, low life." And I think Neocron fits pretty well into that definition at least. ;)

Psyco Groupie
24-12-03, 20:30
this game is far more cyber punk than another game that recently released a trailer .. rofl at the crapness of the footage

Wannabe
24-12-03, 21:44
Originally posted by KimmyG
The game is fun thats all I care about

Until you crash while zoning, crash while using citycom and so on.. you get the idea ^^

// Wannabe

J. Folsom
24-12-03, 21:46
Originally posted by Wannabe
Until you crash while zoning, crash while using citycom and so on.. you get the idea ^^

// Wannabe *Sigh*

Wannabe, I know you've quit this game, and now you're just being a nuisance...

Wannabe
24-12-03, 21:56
Nope, what I'm is called "forum wh0re".

And indeed, there's no reference to cyberpunk expect the implants. If you read Gibson's books, you can see it yourself.

And it was the unfixed bugs that made me quit, not the community or the lack of cyberpunk.

// Wannabe

Syntax-Error
24-12-03, 22:37
[ edited - I knew you were building up to pimp FOM :rolleyes: ]

shodanjr_gr
25-12-03, 00:25
Originally posted by Syntax-Error
[ edited - I knew you were building up to pimp FOM :rolleyes: ]

LMFAO!!!!! My new siggie!!!!

Tratos
25-12-03, 00:38
Originally posted by Wannabe
Nope, what I'm is called "forum wh0re".

And indeed, there's no reference to cyberpunk expect the implants. If you read Gibson's books, you can see it yourself.

And it was the unfixed bugs that made me quit, not the community or the lack of cyberpunk.

// Wannabe

..hand on you've quit??

somone delete his forum account already!

~T

Elric
25-12-03, 00:51
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
this game is far more cyber punk than another game that recently released a trailer .. rofl at the crapness of the footage

the other game never claimed to be cyberpunk, and playing neocron, youve no right slagging anything on graphic quality :p

I play NC for the game, its fun for the time being and keeps me amused, thats all that matters in the end.

Psyco Groupie
25-12-03, 00:53
I think neocrons grapical quality is excellent compared to the other game ...

If your talking bout my sig, you do better [ edited for violation of the forum rules - flaming ]

Elric
25-12-03, 00:56
wtf has your sig got to do with it?

strange little man....

Anyways... NC graphics are quite honestly a bit shit. Thats my opinion, doesnt stop me playing or having fun with the game though.

Logan Tyrus
25-12-03, 00:57
Jesus all this hostility over COMPUTER GAMES!
Chill, both games have merit!

Nidhogg
25-12-03, 00:59
I don't like where this thread is going. Stop the flaming and stop the comparisons between Neocron and "that other game".

N

Elric
25-12-03, 01:05
:lol:

theres another sig worthy quote, thats 2 in one thread.

Im not hostile at all, Im actually a good bit more cheery than i was this afternoon :D

If PG wants to take offence at something he imagines i said (still cant figure that out tho) then its his issues.

I also did not compare anything to anything. I know your stance on it, so what would be the point. I just stated my impressions and opinion, thats what a forum is for innit?

Anyways, I stand by it, I dont think the graphics here are that great (ok, saying they were shit was a bit of an exaggeration, not meant to cause offence though... lighten up people, jeez..), but it sure doesnt stop me playing AND PAYING because for the moment its the best MMO thats out.

KRIMINAL99
25-12-03, 01:17
what we cant talk about FOM now? Oh brother...

Anyways I think neocron has a really hollow cyberpunkness now compared to how brutal it was in the beginning. Now its like so regulated and controlled that its about as cyberpunk as a metallic dungeon in a pokemon game...

Mumblyfish
25-12-03, 01:20
Originally posted by Elric
NC graphics are quite honestly a bit shit. Thats my opinion, doesnt stop me playing or having fun with the game though.

The graphics are getting better. The Spy, PE and Monk powerarmours are excellent. All that really needs to be done is a reworking of older models and textures, which I think we just might get.

Syntax-Error
25-12-03, 02:59
Damnit nid. its just sexeh. and dnt worry id never leave Neocron. but i may get an account in "some" other game.

But i still stick with what i say. NC is lacking that Cyberpunk feel .

Alice
25-12-03, 03:34
Some of the feeling is there. Well it is now.

The CA shoot anyone who enter who isn't their "kind". Now if the sewers connected up, so that you could enter from say Plaza 3, and get into plaza 1, then even better.

So you have the opressive states
You have the rebelious causes
You have the dirty, dark nature, compared alongside with the clean "government controlled" areas like via-rosso (I'd prefer to see more guards there, than in plaza 1)
You have implants, but it really needs a better way to stick them into people
You have the guns, lots of guns.
You have hacking, although it's kinda useless for more than just op-taking

There are some feelings there. We just need a bit more to add to it. A darker, dirtier feeling all over, removal of no-weapon zones, provokable guards that shoot at you if you piss them off, random NPC gankings (suddenly a copbot shouts "drop it", and turns their guns on you and you think "OMG ITS A SET UP!" before it blasts you away.), also we need more conspiracy, and a HELL of a lot more RP.

Netphreak
25-12-03, 22:53
Neocron has a nice feel about and i the only thing i find missing is high lvl content. And the removal of bugs both of wich i 'hope' should :rolleyes: be sortted with the release of DOY.

Beanie McChimp
26-12-03, 20:55
Originally posted by greendonkeyuk
its more judge dredd than shadowrun..... shame really shadowrun owns.

And Dredd doesn't *slaps donkey with a rolled up copy of 2000ad*
Anyway what exactly is cyberpunk?

Duder
26-12-03, 21:21
A science fiction genre set in a dark, futuristic world where information is a powerful commodity, cybergenic augmentation is commonly practiced, and computers are linked globally and permeates every aspect of daily life. The majority of population lives in urban areas, and corporations hold great power, influencing governments. Biotech areas, such as genetics, have been refined. Rebellion against centralized authority and cyberspace surfing are central themes of the genre.

In Neocron, information is useless, augmentation is practiced, but you dont get any cool powers like enhanced str and cloak, only a few extra points in some "skill" system.

Corporations dont do shit, because there is no company, no jobs, no interaction, no nothing.

There isnt much Rebellion here, as a player you cant influence much and anyone ever thinks about is their clan and trying to get as much ops as possible.

In my Opinion, if you want cyberpunk, go read a book or watch some movies, or wait a few years before someone comes up with the brilliant idea of actually making a cyberpunk game, or watch how cyberpunk slowly dies out and its all star wars.

Beanie McChimp
26-12-03, 22:17
Originally posted by Nidhogg
I don't like where this thread is going. Stop the flaming and stop the comparisons between Neocron and "that other game".

N

And what "other game" is that?:lol: