PDA

View Full Version : OT: Physical memory dump?

Judge
24-12-03, 01:35
Ok, I was just turning off my computer when suddenly this blue screen comes up with something about needing to dump physical memory, it proceeded to dump the physical memory. So I restarted the computer and everything seems normal.... just wondering what physical memory is (I think I read somewhere about it being something to do with programs leaving temp files when they aren't closed properly), wether this might be the beginning of a series of problems and what I can do to stop them or it from ever happening again.

Tratos
24-12-03, 01:38
had one of those a while back after having the pc on for about 3 days, lol it didnt seem to cause any upsets with the system.

~T

Omnituens
24-12-03, 01:39
i believe its your RAM

thats 'physical memory', and you got it choca-block

and to get an error like that you are prolly on XP/2k, my bet XP

Judge
24-12-03, 01:40
Yeah I'm on XP omni :)

So is it a problem with the ram? Do I (or my parents :p) need to replace it?

Omnituens
24-12-03, 01:42
no, just stop running 20 NC's at once :lol:

nah, your ram should be fine

you OS is crap though.

BiTeMe
24-12-03, 01:45
When you computer has a Blue screen of death it just means some piece of software managed to take down windows or some piece of hardware had a fit.
The phisical memory dump is a diagnosis process where it will dump the contents of your ram to a file on your hard drive. This means that someone can look in their dump file and see what processes were running when your computer crashed. It does not mean your computer is fried if you only get a blue screen of death once in a blue moon as no microsoft product is bug free :D

numb
24-12-03, 02:03
Originally posted by Omnituens
you OS is crap though.

Out of all the MS Windows, XP Pro has been my favourite by far, in nearly two years of using it I havent had a single BSoD yet - and I can leave it running for weeks (mind you I do that with NT4 too - but I guess I'm not gaming on that one :) ). I think XP is a great OS.

I have linux too, but no Neocron on linux.

Judge
24-12-03, 14:58
Biteme, where can I view this file? I would like to see what it might have been that crashed my computer :)

BiTeMe
24-12-03, 15:22
On windows XP it's in here
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson

There should be a log file and a .dmp file. The log file is probably of more use to you than the .dmp file.

Judge
24-12-03, 15:51
Ta very much. The log file seemed to go on about this file: Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe. I was pretty sure that I had delted every trace of microsoft works... it would appear not =/

Anyway, I will remeber this for later use.

dr.fish
24-12-03, 15:53
i have had that exact same blue sreen of death twice already while playing nc. i just resart cuz i'm too scared tho.

sometimes when i play NC my computer just restarts, no questions asked, like someone hit the restart button, i look around to see if there's a ghost but nothing, still those unexplainable restarts.

Skinfitz
24-12-03, 16:02
You need to remove wkfud.exe from the list of programs that run on start up from the registry.

To do this, click start>run...

Enter in the box: regedit
and press return.

The registry editor will appear.

DISCLAIMER: Make a mistake editing the registry and you can cause SERIOUS problems in your system! I accept no responsibility!

Anyway - to work. Expand the branch called "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", then "SOFTWARE"

Expand "Microsoft", then "Windows", then "CurrentVersion"

Click on the "Run" node.

In the pane to the right you will see all the programs that are set to run when your system starts up. You should see the referece to wkfud.exe in there - simply select the key that references that, and delete it (either by right clicking and choosing "delete" or pressing the DEL key).

While you are there you might want to see what else is running - if you have Real Player installed, you will find their crappy spam program that generates all the stupid popups - delete this too.

When you are done, reboot.