PDA

View Full Version : Tradeskill system [Idea]

Syntax-Error
23-12-03, 18:54
Right now. i have to say NC has one of the worst tradeskill systems ive seen. Its unrewarding. boring and mostly its limited.

Currently there are only two real tradeskills worth talking about:

CST (construction) : Takes a large ammount of time. alot of money. quite a lot of specialization , The outcome of the weapon. while based on points for quality. slots are random (since when was skill random o_O )

RES (research) : Take a LONG time. boring, unrewarding. low XP. huge timesink with no real benifit. can still end up costing quite a bit.

Repair - i cant see much of a problem. but then ive never been one. so other people comment?

There is also barter. underused and frankly needs a bit of tweaking.

Then there is Recycle. Good for making ammo and booster. else pointless.

Salavage - Useless tbh

There you have the current system.. leave alot to be desired

Now. i dont have a magic fix. a perfect system. a wonderful new idea. but i have a collection of my own ideas and other peoples ideas (some of these may conflict, but that will give several options)

CST : This should be based more on skill. raise the cap some. remove slots totally replace with a system as follows

Use the same type of mods. but instead of a quick job they will require large ammounts of skill and a longer process time to add. any mod can be added but each gives + and - .

Skill can effect the + and - ammount (one idea, others dont like that one)

Allow as many mods as you like. but the more mods you have the harder to add a new mod it will be. with a risk of destroying the mod. and even the weapon. (another some like some dont)

Mods wont be sold at a shop like they are now. they will need several parts to be made , with ammo mods taking the most. they will need to be constructed to be used. then added to the weapon.

the weapon can only have certain types of ammo mod at once. (such as fire and explosive , but then cant have X-ray ect)

RES :

Not much i can think to make this once good. i just plain cant think of a way. anyone with idea please post below. one thing i have had suggested is the avilbility of a machine (at OP . maybe purchased) that can be programmed (using the RES's Skill level) to produce batches of Datacubes whilever the reser is in the area.

REP : No problems myself. others please comment

REC: Needs alot of work. right now its good for having a few points in. how about making the salvage skill usefull. making you able to de-construct a weapon into base parts. or remove mods once added

BAR : Works well with enough points, just a little tweak on how much is needed to get so much off.

Even with all this, i see the system as very limited compaired to others. there are so few path's to choose a few more skills wouldnt go amiss

ACH (architect) : Has a tool available that can spawn certain parts (inside APPs) and has the ability to move them. the items avilable and the cost of spawning (building) aswell as the time to spawn would be effected by this skill. Got this idea From player architect's in Ultima Online.

CHM (Chemist) : Using raw materials can produce many of the drugs available (perhaps add a few more that do other wiered but fun stuff) This would give a real drugs trade feel to the world allowing for a drug trade to start up. have the sale of drugs illegal and the use of the skill getting you shot cops. maybe the use of the drugs doing the same (Hey im just dreaming.. right :D )

Please keep it clean. keep it civil. and post your ideas below. if you dont like some. say so. but please say why.

[SP]Ostrich
24-12-03, 06:27
you missed poking i think... and i think a lot of people missed your thread....:eek:

IceStorm
24-12-03, 09:16
i think a lot of people missed your thread...
They're probably tired out after this recent one (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85357).

For the record, I like tradeskills the way they are now and I don't think they need to be "fixed" - and I tradeskill. :-)

shodanjr_gr
24-12-03, 12:11
Call me an idiot, but i love the SWG tradeskill system. Id sure love to see NC adopting a similar one.

japata
24-12-03, 13:02
Problems in repair:

Remote repairing costs LIKE HELL, it should cost as much as repairing at a garage or (more realistically) even less (if you want the job done, do it yourself - as they say). One remote nanite pack costs 2500-3500 depending if bought with barter or not. A pack comes with 200 nanites.

One "poke", which repaires 0-3%-units of damage on ANY vehicle not depending on TL, takes huge amounts of nanites: 50 for one poke of rhino or APC, 40 of one poke of the 4x4, and a whooping 90 for one poke of HA-S Trike. These amounts are not reduced even with uber repair skill.

Possible solutions:
- Nanites clonable, would require A LOT of stuff to compensate their high price in shops
- Required amount of nanites reduced as repair increases (the most unlikely to happen as other tradeskills don't have this feature)
- Repaired %-units of damage increased as repair skill increases (the most likely solution to this as other tradeskills have similiar effects)

Now it's just damn costly to hunt with vehicles even if you spend quite a lot of points to repair, vehicle and heavy combat... not to mention the quite dear vehicles. :)

Edit: oh yeah, recycle

Recycle:

Problems:
- Only useful for cloning
- Doesn't save money much

Solution:
- Make money clonable... now I know this sounds a bit strange, but think about it. You can buy a "mineral transporter" from one of the large faction for you to produce them material for their produces, so with a small fee, you can start making a little money by cloning crap. Now this would have to be just a little money, otherwise it would be unbalanced. Also would get rid of the excess crap and give a new mean to get money for noobs killing Aggie Capts.

IceStorm
24-12-03, 13:12
For VHCs, it's cheaper to just do the N.E.X.T. Epic and get a Reveler. Not like you have to PK for the N.E.X.T. Epic... :-)

Archeus
24-12-03, 13:28
Originally posted by japata
Solution:
- Make money clonable... now I know this sounds a bit strange, but think about it. You can buy a "mineral transporter" from one of the large faction for you to produce them material for their produces, so with a small fee, you can start making a little money by cloning crap.

They had this in Asherons call 2 (anyone could do) and I hated it totally. It meant you never had to go to a city, or interact with people.

I suppose if you did have something like this, then just have high level cloners be able to do it. Although what is to stop the person just selling the junk in YOs? That's how I made cash as a newbie.