PDA

View Full Version : What's happened to Neocron?

Alice
22-12-03, 20:04
Hi.

I return, after 5 months, and what do I find?
Silence. Emptiness. It's like a grave, a ghost town. Now I know there are people on the servers, the server count says so before you log on. But is anyone chatting? Nope. Before I left, i had to block "custom" just to get rid of the scammers, spammers, and sh*t talking clans.

Now, I miss it so much.

I think I'm staying for the month and then cancelling. I can't believe Neocron is now a ghost-town.

naimex
22-12-03, 20:16
try listening to tradechannels on uranus after OP wars =P some funny shit going on there..

Spoon
22-12-03, 20:17
Yep, server populations are at an all time low right now.......

I'll log on to NC at 12 midnight EST after I get off work, and the Servers screen looks like this:

Jupiter - 46
Venus - 10
Uranus - 42
Saturn - 124
Pluto - 86

Not to healthly, IMO......:o

It might have something to do with the holiday season, tho....

Mumblyfish
22-12-03, 20:22
Originally posted by Spoon
Venus - 10
GOLD!

Alice
22-12-03, 20:29
Originally posted by naimex
try listening to tradechannels on uranus after OP wars =P some funny shit going on there..

is there OP wars still? I remember when we all used to talk shit in trade channels and it p*ssed off the people who said "hey talk in your own channel!".

*sigh* I came back at the wrong time.

J. Folsom
22-12-03, 20:40
It's the holidays, and even us hardcore nerds have a tendency to hang around with family and not play (too many) games at that time.

Anyway, I think "prime time" is roughly an hour away now, so check then.

fatwreck
22-12-03, 20:59
people started to complain more than fight or fight dirty, got boring and people log on less now. at least thats why i log on less

Clive tombstone
22-12-03, 21:09
God I hope thats how the numbers will be On urinus during the "christmas Hunt" :D

Archeus
22-12-03, 21:10
Depends a lot on the time. I have seen numbers much higher then that and also lower then that depending on the time.

I guess the season would have something to do with it too.

But is anyone chatting? Nope. Before I left, i had to block "custom" just to get rid of the scammers, spammers, and sh*t talking clans.

That still goes on, at least on pluto. Actually Trade spam has increased due to Plaza I being what people think is a nogo area. All the CS/BD hang out at Rontrade.

Also some factions are more chatty then other. Angels tend to be more chatty on the faction channel then say CS was. Mainly because of the 24/7 ganking that went on.

Tratos
22-12-03, 21:19
erm... -peeks out from behind chair-...you do have trade channels turned on dont you? cos i have to turn em off just to escape the constant trade spammage

-hides behind chair again-

~T

Strych9
22-12-03, 21:26
I dunno... several nights recently Saturn has had over 400 runners in it when I was playing.

And there is still plenty of talk- its just now more localized to where you are. Plaza 1 is no longer completely overcrowded, and its possible to actually communicate with someone.

If people are standing around Plaza 1 spamming, they arent out doing other things- so dont take a lack of Plaza 1 or trade channel spam as some sort of indicator of the apocolypse.

People are so fond of posting server stats for odd hours of the day, and acting like its the end of the world... I guess I should record the times where I see over 1000 players (total) on all the servers at once.

g0rt
22-12-03, 21:27
every time we are talking on pub channels mercury and unknown device come on and tell us to shut up

so blame the GMs they are causing it

Magnazan
22-12-03, 22:20
That don't seem to stop you on OOC though ;)

Alice
22-12-03, 22:39
Magnazan, what the HELL is that sig pic? O_o

I'll double check I haven't got them set to block. I re-installed Neocron, so it's a fresh install so I doubt it, Just i've been on Uranus and Pluto now for 2 days, and it's been quiet as a mouse. Most I heard was when I walked into plaza 1, and then got killed because I'm Tsunami. Oops.

Strych9
22-12-03, 22:46
If you havent set all of the trade channels on, then they are off by default on a new install I think.

You may not have custom muted... but you have to go into custom and enable the channels.

Archeus
My software reset the other day (thought I was a fresh install for some reason). All the channels were switched off in my instance (no X beside the channel).

Your right though they should be on in a fresh install.

Mr_Snow
Uranus is quiet because people have just lost the will to give a shit anymore mainly because maybe a fifth of the server hold all the ops and then gank anyone who even thinks of taking their ops and if somebody takes an op its ninjaed back and all ops are closed for a while. In an atmosphere like that why would anyone have the motivation to be conversational especially since the people who do this seem proud of what they do.

greploco
does it compare to 5 mos ago ? or 1 year ago ?

not even close, but server pops do still get up there a litle 400-500

and a lot of people do still play and it is still fun

however it's a little involuted - either there will be a marketing push with DOY and new players or the game will wither

fatwreck
22-12-03, 23:02
Originally posted by Mr_Snow
Uranus is quiet because people have just lost the will to give a shit anymore mainly because maybe a fifth of the server hold all the ops and then gank anyone who even thinks of taking their ops and if somebody takes an op its ninjaed back and all ops are closed for a while. In an atmosphere like that why would anyone have the motivation to be conversational especially since the people who do this seem proud of what they do.

summed up perfectly. no one wants to fight when they wont fight fair. its a game, lets have fun playing it.

Alice
22-12-03, 23:09
Who is this single clan or group of clans on Uranus?

Last time, before I got cut off and left due to money reasons, I was in the process of rallying together the Tsunami clans, to take back Pepper Park. (mostly RP but still, I was to keep an eye on the clans, and make sure any unclanned got clanned up). Now, I hardly see any of my fellow TSers, and there's an abundance of BD guards in PP.

Gah so many changes. Even Jeriko's vehicle depot is trashed. I had to ride from TG to Neocron, then back to FA, just to get my bike stowed.

necrocon
22-12-03, 23:49
hey alice stick around or dont have faith otherwise you would not have been back otherwise dont let the door hit you in the arse on the way out

NeoChick
23-12-03, 00:27
I have been online a lot less because too busy doing xmas cooking,shopping, socializing, etc

I think that is what is is with a lot of people, too many other things around Xmas that just have to be done

New Year everybody will be back full force, we are all looking forward to NC:DOY............:D :D :D :D :D

{MD}GeistDamnit
23-12-03, 00:31
Everyone move to pluto!!! :D

Mr_Snow
23-12-03, 00:35
Heh leveling my spy there atm and alice most TS now only log on to ninja there ops are mess about in PP and o fcourse everyone else "ninjas" from them co they are inactive. Oh try getting in touch with CIE its a good TS clan with pretty cool members except for Oath hes a slut j/k.

Cruzbroker
23-12-03, 01:14
Yeah, Uranus sucks, just because TS and TG has the whole map (except for 3 FA ops..), and no ones fighting, I mean, OPs been the same way for months..

Tho, I'm playing my spy there anyway..

But there is still alot of talk in trade-nc and ooc channels, make sure you turn it on by clicking left side of channel name..

Spectra260
23-12-03, 01:17
Originally posted by Alice
Hi.

I return, after 5 months, and what do I find?
Silence. Emptiness. It's like a grave, a ghost town. Now I know there are people on the servers, the server count says so before you log on. But is anyone chatting? Nope. Before I left, i had to block "custom" just to get rid of the scammers, spammers, and sh*t talking clans.

Now, I miss it so much.

I think I'm staying for the month and then cancelling. I can't believe Neocron is now a ghost-town.

it awas all the people like you who left the game that made it end up like it is now...i hope your happy with yourself...:rolleyes:

Felissa
23-12-03, 02:01
Who is this single clan or group of clans on Uranus?

Last time, before I got cut off and left due to money reasons, I was in the process of rallying together the Tsunami clans, to take back Pepper Park. (mostly RP but still, I was to keep an eye on the clans, and make sure any unclanned got clanned up). Now, I hardly see any of my fellow TSers, and there's an abundance of BD guards in PP.

Gah so many changes. Even Jeriko's vehicle depot is trashed. I had to ride from TG to Neocron, then back to FA, just to get my bike stowed.

The vehicle depot is now near the NC gates. :p

I noticed the same when I was away for a time. I worked a lot for NEXT, but a lot of people just stayed because there was someone who did all the work. Maybe the same happened to TS.

fatwreck
23-12-03, 02:03
Originally posted by Cruzbroker
Yeah, Uranus sucks, just because TS and TG has the whole map (except for 3 FA ops..), and no ones fighting, I mean, OPs been the same way for months..

its cause the Tg TS and FA clans have the alliance.

i dont play for op wars... i play for one on one pvp now

Martin J. Schwiezer
23-12-03, 02:16
Facts:

It's 00:37 am in Germany right now and the server population is:

Jupiter(DEU) 316
Venus(FRA) 118
Uranus(ENG) 139
Saturn(ENG) 267
Pluto(ENG) 182

Total: 1022

Peak was around 10:30 pm German time with 1,504 users total. Not too bad for a Monday in NC.

Going back to the 22nd of July (a Tuesday), there was a total of 1618 user online at 10:30 pm.

So if the thread starter theatrically asks "What has happened to Neocron?", then the simple answer is that there are 114 less people on NC right now, than it was half a year ago. Divided through 5 worlds, that'd be 22.8 players less per world...

To realize this and to aks such a dramatic question, the thread starter must have been in deep love with each of the 22.8 players missing. ;)

I think that the answer is that many players know the world of Neocron much better now, than they knew it six months ago. Thus they spread wider among the world of the game. There's more than Plaza P1, you know? ;)

Felissa
23-12-03, 02:25
Perhaps it is just less chat, especially in the faction, the thread starter was wondering about, Martin? :p

Mumblyfish
23-12-03, 02:27
Originally posted by Martin J. Schwiezer
There's more than Plaza P1, you know? ;)

True. When it gets hot, I have been known to go to Plaza 4.

PS I'm feeling the MJS love.

Alice
23-12-03, 09:43
back. Wow this thread really hit off.

Ok yes. It seems, that I hadn't X'd all the channels, and as such was walking around, muting everything, and thinking no-one was talking to me.

*doh*

However, that is a serious (and game leaving) design flaw. I'll call it a flaw, because, if you want to stop something, close something, or such, you click on an X. Therefore if an X is showing on any other program, you can guess that whatever it's by, isn't working anymore. With this game, you need to make the X's all visable to have channels listen-able. Plus, by default, all channels are muted, and as the instruction book is older than this modification, there is no way for someone to know what to do, barring asking on here.

Anyway, I'm back, the "sh*t talking" is irritating me, which is great, and I'm finally back with a sense of belonging again ;)

Now just got to level my new char on Uranus (some prat deleted a BP storage character, with medicant SMGs and the lot on it... to make yet another rifle PE. *cough me *cough-sobs*), which is now a PE pistol poker, so I can hang in PP and offer pokes, now that I can't get into Plaza 1.

Oh and that was a joy. Materialised in Plaza 1, died.
Respawned plaza 1, died.
etc - 7 times, until I see my death reason, a CA guard. Strange, must have followed someone from by the gunshop by Yo's. Stranger still, he's holding a rifle. Oh well. Run round the long way, and die, because there's more guards there.

Wow. I can see that CA really has enforced their "local plaza for local people" policy. The thing is, where do I take my business now? I've got to barter and bypass Plaza 1, so it's time to relearn the plaza maps. *sigh*

The TS guards on PP1 are a nice touch though.

Well, all I can say is, I'm glad to be back. Shame the MC5 newbie area hasn't changed much, creatures still get stuck under the vehicles, or the other side of the fences, and with that grass it's even harder to spot them, and for some reason the MC5 processor mission you get, isn't applicable anymore. But otherwise, yep, glad to be back.

merry Christmas Neocron.

Archeus
23-12-03, 10:20
However, that is a serious (and game leaving) design flaw. I'll call it a flaw, because, if you want to stop something, close something, or such, you click on an X. Therefore if an X is showing on any other program, you can guess that whatever it's by, isn't working anymore. With this game, you need to make the X's all visable to have channels listen-able. Plus, by default, all channels are muted, and as the instruction book is older than this modification, there is no way for someone to know what to do, barring asking on here.

The X not being there was a known issue months ago, and they changed it so that new players into the game all the channels are clicked on by default. Of course your an old player you should know about the X's right? Failing that clicking a channel would automatically spam that channel.

Oh and that was a joy. Materialised in Plaza 1, died.
Respawned plaza 1, died.

MMORPGs change so often it is best to read up at least the last couple of patch notes. Don't assume it is the same game you left before.