PDA

View Full Version : Brainport: Researching

Archeus
21-12-03, 21:16
Has to be the most mind numbing boring part of the game ever to exist.

Seriously. The only redeeming factor it has is that I am reading more books now while occasionally clicking 'Start'.

So how about a mini game?

Say Item X takes 1 minute to complete. So a mini game of some sort appears that expires in one minute. The researcher can get the chance to speed up the research process by using blips or something (that relate to skill) to effect the speed.

No idea what kind of mini game, but anything would be better then what there is. Of course make the mini game optional.

Second... Allow a reasearcher to batch job. For example I put Item X into the processor then fill the rest with datacubes. It then goes through all the cubes as if I had done one at a time. At least that way I can read a bit more without having to hit start so often.

Sorontar
21-12-03, 21:31
Well seeing as though researching for any length of time is like having a frontal lobotomy , I'd rule the game out as all I can manage after an hour IS the clicking of the start button :D

but

ANYTHING that will speed this process up, like your batches idea, would be great.

But I have to disagree .............. recycling / salvaging is the most mind numbing experience you can have in this game. I must be a sucker for pain as I research and salvage:p

I would prefer it if the processor window could be change to incorporate a task scheduler. So you could set a number of repeat processes to do. But it would ask you if you wanted to continue randomly between say every 10th and 20th repeat. This would address the unattending workers somewhat methinks.

Mirco
22-12-03, 00:50
If you combine the batch job idea with the minigame you can perhaps do it like this: Researching one item into 1 cube has a set difficulty. If you increase the number of cubes the difficulty increases. So when you research weapons part 6 you will be able to succed as long as the tl multiplied with the number of bps is lower than you skill.

L0KI
22-12-03, 00:57
Originally posted by Archeus
Second... Allow a reasearcher to batch job. For example I put Item X into the processor then fill the rest with datacubes. It then goes through all the cubes as if I had done one at a time. At least that way I can read a bit more without having to hit start so often.

That one. That needs doin NOW. Researching is a joke at best.

VetteroX
22-12-03, 02:04
also, more xp for researching. My constructor levele TWICE (2 dex 2 int) in one build of beast (tl 25) when I first made him. then 1 dex 1 int 1 st when I built my next, and then 1 dex 1 int on 3rd, and stayed fast for a while. Research needs to give super xp for int I think.

naimex
22-12-03, 02:07
^^ make it worth going into, make BPs have qualities, make qualities affect construction of item...

Kimiko
22-12-03, 02:38
A mini game, like the hacking screen from System Shock 2, could be a "shortcut" to the end of the research.