PDA

View Full Version : How can I not suck so much.

Dribble Joy
20-12-03, 23:09
Over the past week, I have noticed a huge decline in my 'skills' (not that I had any in the first place)

The simple act of aiming is now suddenly a chore, my reactions are sluggish and totally without coordination.
I find myself straining to pull off moves and aims that before were a breeze.
People that I have reguarly beaten or seen as equals are now painting the walls of neofrag with my bloody carcass.

I have been feeling a bit rough of late, but surely this doesn't matter?
How much of an effect does eating and drinking have on your physical/mental abilities?
I have been living on noodles and tea for te last two weeks, a bit of cheese yesterday, oh and some wheeta bix (cereal)
Does being properly hydrated matter? I'm getting 2-3 pints a day atm.

Aside from that, people have said that I am now REALLY slow, not just my aim, but simply the speed my char moves at.
My setup, that before was quite tough, now gets taken to half hp with about 3 rog blasts, I still take 60 from a CS.
Probably seems weaker cos I'm getting hit a lot more, but still.
Fps is about 10-15 in a fight, but that's no excuse, I've been minced by people with less that that.

Are there any tips that you people have on how to improve reactions times?
Or general advice as how to not fucking suck so much kiwi fruit.

Appologies to the Uranus NF regulars, untill I sort this out (probably never) I am quitting NF for the foreseeable future. (probably a reliefe, I'm such an annoying twat anyway.)

L0KI
20-12-03, 23:15
Thats your main problem. I never think in a fight. I go 100% on reflexes. Dont get worked up b4 the fight, just relax and then let the rage flow ;)
Try to keep ur aim locked on opponent and the fire button held down as your first priorities...

Then when u get the hang of that so its perfect, start to alter movements, add the random 0.01 second crouch mid fight mid strafe, that generally forces tanks/PE's to lose aim.

Clive tombstone
20-12-03, 23:17
well I what I do to usualy make myself feel better if drink lots of water (i drink about 3-4 cups a day) and excersize for about 1hour-hour and a half, 3-4 times a week and I feel fine. also get losts of rest and eat good food.

Thats about it, Take good care of yerself, you only have one body to use.

It helps out allot to raise my reaction time (RL) which transfers into Gamplay reaction time (NC)

{MD}GeistDamnit
20-12-03, 23:30
Originally posted by Clive tombstone
well I what I do to usualy make myself feel better if drink lots of water (i drink about 3-4 cups a day) and excersize for about 1hour-hour and a half, 3-4 times a week and I feel fine. also get losts of rest and eat good food.

Thats about it, Take good care of yerself, you only have one body to use.

It helps out allot to raise my reaction time (RL) which transfers into Gamplay reaction time (NC)

that is 100% true, and good practice as well for more than gaming :D also try not to play other games, it fucks up your flow from game to game.

ezza
20-12-03, 23:33
i start sucking if i have lack of sleep, if your not 100% on top of your game your gonna be crappy.

i suggest a bit more sleep does me the world of good, dont matter if you are real skilled,but if your 1/2 asleep and your brain not active your gonna fall

McEvoy
20-12-03, 23:45
also, always expect that your going to be dead meat. Even in plaza keep up your sheilds, constant vigilance! but i never follow those rules , im never ready, they should just remake my Avatar with his pants down :(

but the others are right , follow the other info, good sleep never play another game besides neocron, make sure your comfortably in an upright position, that your rist is well saportted etc.

all in all if all else fails blaim the game, or the lag :D

Clive tombstone
21-12-03, 00:36
all in all if all else fails blaim the game, or the lag

Or KK, that aways works for me :D

Just kidding

o_O o_O 8|

Dont ban me!

Cruzbroker
21-12-03, 00:37
Sports is good, it's fucking brilliant.. One time for a hour could do miracles.. reflexes and everything goes to 250% from normal or something..

I just noticed when I start to play (*hobby) finnish baseball last summer..

:D

McEvoy
21-12-03, 00:43
or art, carrots (good for the eyes), cardio vascular excersises works great more air in your system does good things. run arond the block gets the nrg up after a month or two of doing it daily, it'll seem like nothing, thats when you run around two blocks :)

I feel like a gold start with "the more you know" should pop up after each post here, like a public service ad :p

Clive tombstone
21-12-03, 00:48
Man, YOu know whats REALLY good, I go to the Gym and do full body work-outs, It helps to get stress and nervous energy out, But be sure to warm out befor excersising First by stretching your arms legs and back mucles and then run or Jog for like 10-15 mins, on a tredmill or around our nieghborhood. Trust me on this one. It helps a BUNCH not kidding, also, there right, you need to stick to one game, cept if its halo. Because thats my Neocron training program and source of Inspiration for teamwork.

Eat right, Work out, and get some sleep!
Thats the true way to success!

<edit> damn MC you beat me to it! :D

OpTi
21-12-03, 00:49
dribb you faught my spy a like a week or 2 ago, and again today.

before you could beat me and you'd have about 1/4 health left, and i had difficulty aiming and hitting you properly because you were pretty fast. Today you may aswell have been walking my spy who has 55/65 agl/atl was running circles round you, how? O_o

i dunno whats changed but your biggest problem i saw was your runspeed which seemed non existant

TheDuckMan
21-12-03, 00:53
Sometimes my runspeed goes down due to some kind of bug and i have to run through a synch to get it back to normal. But that was way back when i had a melee tank that was TT. They probly fixed that bug long ago. Maybe not.....

McEvoy
21-12-03, 00:57
Originally posted by McEvoy

all in all if all else fails blaim the game, or the lag :D

you go duckman :D

Doc Holliday
21-12-03, 01:05
get a life :p

Shadow Dancer
21-12-03, 01:07
Well, I noticed I tend to hit alot more if I take a little bit of time to get a good aim on my opponent instead of trying to franticly hit at 105 rof.

But then again I really don't care. I often use cheap tricks and tactics to gain the upper hand against people with better aim.

I'm not a good "aimer"(lol) or dueler, but i'm a great killer. Isn't that what's important? Their body on the ground? :D

Then they get rezzed later on by a clannie or alt. :rolleyes:

TheDuckMan
21-12-03, 01:22
Heh I wasnt trying to blame the game. A tank should be able to take a pounding anyways. Even if he is slow. But the only thing that rly slowed down for me was the ROF on my paw of tiger. Was just suggesting something, wasnt trying to make excuses.

ino
21-12-03, 01:40
Try taking a break from Neocron a day or two.. maby more. I do it all the time with my qw play.. sometimes even after what is it now 9 years :).. the aim gets fucked and movements dont work as they normaly do.. probably cause of too much playing..

Clean your mouse while your at it.. If you got optical clean the skates and the mouse pad.. stupid things on mouse pad ruins shafting or any other aiming with small to medium movements.

And dont drink aloot of coffee without eating :) you get all shaky and that will fuck things up heh..

Dribble Joy
21-12-03, 02:10
Empty your PM box peoples.

Wow, replys, oddness abounds.
Cheers.

Ino, this is driving me mad....

Why are you Ino when your avatar is Gaara?

TheDuckMan
21-12-03, 02:14
Who would have thought you needed to be so physically fit to play a video game lol :D :lol: :)

shardl0r
21-12-03, 03:21
Factors that effect your ability to perform in an FPS are the same as those that effect tennis players, and to a lesser extent all sportsmen and women. Your ability or "skill" is based upon your current mental condition.

When you first start, your subconsciousness assumes that you know nothing about it, and thus you soak up knowledge extremely quickly. Since you know nothing about [the game] prior to this, you have no way of formulating how "good" you are doing, and so your brain just takes what your doing and packs it away for reference, it isn't working against you. This is where the "beginners luck" is so comonly found.

Once you've been playing for a while, your subconsciousness has now set a level at which you think you SHOULD be playing at. If you fall below this level, your subconsciousness will start telling you that you shouldn't be doing this badly and to 'essentially' "do it like you used to". This is where your brain starts working against you, because what you are doing now is conflicting with what you were doing when you were doing well, and thus you are not doing as well as you should be. Your anger levels rise, because you are now trying to do what your brain is telling you (i.e. what you used to do) and that is no longer working. You become frustrated, your reflexes and reasoning slow down further degrading your performance, and the vicious cycle continues.

I apologise for how badly explained that was, I don't know the nitty gritty details of the biology behind it myself, and so it makes it harder to explain. And I'm really tired, doesn't help.

Talking of tiredness, this aggravates nearly all the problems of the above. If your well rested, you perform better all around.
Also make sure you are comfortable, unstressed, mildly peckish and relaxed. The light should be behind your monitor, but covered so that it does not shine into your face.
Put some music on.
Run over what your about to do in your mind a few times, working out the possible outcomes of both you winning and losing, so that if you do lose it isn't quite as much a shock.

Oh and finally, check yourself for Thyroid deficiancy =/

Clownst0pper
21-12-03, 03:22
its called PISH, when you try so hard at something it can actually make it worse.

Most commonly associated with CounterStrike and extreme stress. :cool:

El Barto
21-12-03, 03:51
Lose weight? =P

Legoias
21-12-03, 03:57
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
Over the past week, I have noticed a huge decline in my 'skills' (not that I had any in the first place)

The simple act of aiming is now suddenly a chore, my reactions are sluggish and totally without coordination.
I find myself straining to pull off moves and aims that before were a breeze.
People that I have reguarly beaten or seen as equals are now painting the walls of neofrag with my bloody carcass.

I have been feeling a bit rough of late, but surely this doesn't matter?
How much of an effect does eating and drinking have on your physical/mental abilities?
I have been living on noodles and tea for te last two weeks, a bit of cheese yesterday, oh and some wheeta bix (cereal)
Does being properly hydrated matter? I'm getting 2-3 pints a day atm.

Aside from that, people have said that I am now REALLY slow, not just my aim, but simply the speed my char moves at.
My setup, that before was quite tough, now gets taken to half hp with about 3 rog blasts, I still take 60 from a CS.
Probably seems weaker cos I'm getting hit a lot more, but still.
Fps is about 10-15 in a fight, but that's no excuse, I've been minced by people with less that that.

Are there any tips that you people have on how to improve reactions times?
Or general advice as how to not fucking suck so much kiwi fruit.

Appologies to the Uranus NF regulars, untill I sort this out (probably never) I am quitting NF for the foreseeable future. (probably a reliefe, I'm such an annoying twat anyway.)

Forget neocron but that will start to have an effect on the rest of your life. It worrys me that you are more worried about your pvp performace rather than your real life health.

Being properly hydrated is vital for good concentration, eye sight, mental ability (math etc) and motivation.

Ready meals and snacks may fill you up but wont do much for your health. Try eating proper and if your a student living away like I was eat things like pasta, potatoes and rice.

Try to away from the PC. One thing im very guilty of is sitting at the PC playing games or just wasting time. It feels like a chore to go out but when I do I feel a whole lot better.

Sigma
21-12-03, 04:03
1 word: SPEED (or other amphetamines [sp?]) :D j/k

the only thing i can say is, whenever u enter a fight: Don't think, just Kill

ino
21-12-03, 11:23
Dribble, Confusion is always nice :). reflects 2 of my char names

KRIMINAL99
21-12-03, 19:00
It is very likely your diet has effected your reaction times...

Many variables effect reaction times, in fact I think that the range of human abillity is actually quite narrow and other factors make up the majority of "skill" such as diet, sexual activity, room/body temperature, familiarity with the game and tricks that can be used to kill people, people using hacks.

I know foods like eggs and fish your brain uses to make chemicals that help its functions, don't remember for sure if that would help something like playing neocron but it probably has some effect. Its mostly known to help memory functions. If you have a fast metabolism then eating many noodles an hour or so before you play might make you a bit sluggish as your body freaks out making insulin to counteract the sudden sugar rush. If its too cold in the room that can hurt your steadiness. As far as tricks, make sure you don't play the same way every single time, try different things and analyze the situation after to see which was better or worse. And if you see someone that hits with every shot at max range of their weapon (where losing track of the target cause recticle to instantly completely open) then they are probably using hax. Personally I just ignore it, oftentimes you can find a way to kill them anyways, like an aim hack like this doesn't help them manuver fast enough to keep you from running behind them and blasting them in the back.

Its never smart to try and place people into categories, thats just setting yourself up to feel like an idiot when/if they beat you. The only reason it even seems like this is the case is because most people will make excuses and leave after losing twice, three times at most, never allowing themselves to learn what trick is allowing the person to beat them or recognizing things they can do to get better real fast.

I always will fight people over and over even if they beat me, and never leave without beating the person eventually. Often times by the time I leave I have beaten someone 4/5 times in a row that beat me repeatedly before. Then I leave for a week to a month and have to start from scratch next time I play.

Like you said yourself people are like cattle, their observations of other people have no value and serve no purpose other than to make their surroundings easier to deal with. If someone is not good themselves and they have a friend who is that they know won't use their higher skill to make them feel bad they will call that person "so uber" as if you could never beat them, when in reality you maybe could repeatedly after a few fights. If someone beats you once they will try and put you into a category like you could never beat them again because then they are at least worth something. They may even try to force this view on you too in order to make you give up fighting them so you wont beat them and take away this comfort.

If you want to stop getting irritated when people act like you suck because of their own insecurities you have to show yourself this is true so your subconsious will take note of the fact and stop freaking out about it and making you angry. Until then it sees it as the people are just assaulting you for no reason or just because you deserve it; it knows there are explanations for your temporary low skill that people are not taking into account when they say things.

[SP]Ostrich
22-12-03, 19:01
Dribble: i beat you, and i follow none of their advice, i excercise none, diet varies, etc. DON'T LISTNE TO THEM, hype yourself up on caffeine and go on a killing rampage, only way!

EDIT: recently you been giving me a damn better challenge though.

ezza
22-12-03, 19:04
gank noobs you win everytime then;)

Xian
22-12-03, 19:13
Shardl0r's explanation is correct - 'tis seen in a lot of the 'higher level' CS players.

Don't play to expectations, just play. Or get stoned, that works for me.

[SP]Ostrich
22-12-03, 19:18
getting stoned works for you?

damn, i can never concentrate, so i end up watching tv in the middle of a PvP session or something...

Xian
22-12-03, 19:24
Originally posted by [SP]Ostrich
getting stoned works for you?

damn, i can never concentrate, so i end up watching tv in the middle of a PvP session or something...

When I play CS, yeah. I haven't tried it with Neocron PvP yet because I just level stoned (time seems to pass faster). I can't stop both my hands from shaking constantly so it helps. :p

[SP]Ostrich
22-12-03, 19:53
hehe, i'm capped on all my chars that i need, so no levelling for me,

CS is easier because you dont need to "lock on" for extended periods of time, just quick snap, shoot, headshot, winn.

but i go worse at cs too, my friend however owns the server while high.

lucky uber stoners :(

dr.fish
22-12-03, 20:07
i once got beater by a pe lvl 20 and i have a tank capped when i was very stoned.

trust me, stoned is bad for pvp