PDA

View Full Version : Computer is broken! arghhh!

Clownst0pper
20-12-03, 02:55
Ok there is something serioulsy wrong with Neocron and my graphics card.

I have a Pentium 4 - 2ghz processor, with 256meg ram.

A PNY GF 4 Ti 4600 128 meg ram.

60 gig HD and am running freeserve broadband.

When playing neocron even with settings at complete minimum and fogging on max I still get FPS of about 10-12, it is only in the tiniest of areas where there is fuck all I get 50fps such as when your walking to a Neofrag deck.

How can this be? Neocron looks a pile of shit compared to DE2 which runs amazing on my computer!

SECONDLY!

My Graphics card is fucked.. When you right click on ur desktop, go to properties then to settings, then click on advanced one of the tab says 'G Force 4 Ti 4600' when you click this tab, to alter the graphics cards settings and the way it runs, an error message occurs every time reading...

"Run a DLL as an APP has encountered a problem and needs to close"

and that is it, ive sent countless reports to microsoft.

Have updated my drives to the latest ones. And even updated to direct x.9

WTF is wrong with my card? Because of this im sure its not working to its full potential...HELP!

PS. Running windows xp :(

Scikar
20-12-03, 03:01
Sounds like you could use a driver reinstall, though I would recommend that you get Omega drivers from www.omegacorner.com. Also do a Google search for a GeForce Tweak utility, gives you more options than the advanced properties tab.

As for FPS I'm not sure, is antialiasing on? Though if it was you would probably see low FPS in DE2 as well. Is D3D Hardware TnL set to On in Neocron? Do you get any errors in dxdiag? Do you have any processor intensive programs running in the background?

Clownst0pper
20-12-03, 03:03
Is D3D Hardware TnL set to On in Neocron?

will check

Do you get any errors in dxdiag?

Explain a little more, not 100% sure what this is.

Do you have any processor intensive programs running in the background?

definately not :confused:

Scikar
20-12-03, 03:05
Dxdiag is a diagnostic tool for DirectX, which can help find out if DirectX is corrupt or if your drivers are uncertified. To run it, just go Start --> Run and type dxdiag. Check through the tabs and see if there are any alerts.

Psyco Groupie
20-12-03, 03:09
u didnt uninstall the last drivers before you installed new ones

Clownst0pper
20-12-03, 03:09
Says zero problems found under every tab..

Ive had my m8s from uni who are programming gods and they havnt a clue wtf is wrong with my card and why I cant access it..

I might just reformat..

Hopefully in a day or 2 someone will post here what my problem is! :cool:

Clownst0pper
20-12-03, 03:11
u didnt uninstall the last drivers before you installed new ones

didnt think you ever had to?? :eek:

kurai
20-12-03, 03:34
Originally posted by Clownst0pper
didnt think you ever had to?? :eek: It can be tricky with Nvidia - they aren't good at consistency of package layout/contents across driver version releases.

It sounds like you have a problem with the Nvidia customised settings applet .dll called by the .cpl

Frequently this is caused by not uninstalling old driver releases properly, as has been mentioned, but I've also seen it fuck up on completely fresh vanilla installs.

The most common problem it causes is with localization (the various language translations of the menus). Some releases include new translation files, some dont. Some releases clear out old translation files before adding new ones, some don't.

If you end up with a language file for a version of the settings applet that is of completely different layout to the one the language file was created for, then the applet barfs, leaving you unable to change any settings.

Solution : Go to ./windows/system32 and delete all nvrs*.dll and nvwr*.dll files, then reboot.

The default language (US english) is actually embedded inside the main settings applet .dll - if the system can't find a specific language plugin to match your Windows language settings then it will happily work with this inbuilt default.

This isn't a guaranteed fix, naturally, but it's a very common Nvidia problem, and I still see it cropping up today, after it was first reported way back when Nvidia started using unified drivers in the pre TNT card days :rolleyes:

Clownst0pper
20-12-03, 12:55
Cheers for that kurai, will try it tonight, sadly it doesnt change the fact I get wank FPS?

:confused:

___T-X____
20-12-03, 13:11
try a bios flash lol

Ascension
20-12-03, 13:24
Cheers for that kurai, will try it tonight, sadly it doesnt change the fact I get wank FPS?

:confused:

Have you tried running NC in a Differnt Screen Res? or tried ajusting your screen refresh rate?:)

This may work;)

Archeus
20-12-03, 13:26
with 256meg ram.

Get more memory.

kurai
20-12-03, 13:43

:confused: Well - you have the same processor (albeit half the ram) and vid card as me, and my setup works just fine at 1280x1024.

It also works fine at 1600x1200 (Neocron is limitied more by CPU power than video card, past a certain threshold) but it's not a useable resolution because the text doesn't scale and is impossible to read.

At least with the the settings controls working you have a chance to tweak for better performance than you get with defaults :D

Clownst0pper
20-12-03, 20:45
Get more memory

Plan 2 :angel:

DigestiveBiscui
20-12-03, 22:01
ahhh and the box saying min spec for NC is 32MB

my arse!

Archeus
20-12-03, 22:05
Originally posted by DigestiveBiscui
ahhh and the box saying min spec for NC is 32MB

my arse!

I have no doubts NC would run (barely) in 32MB, but these days sod all else will. Certainly windows with 256MB is just painful to use.

DigestiveBiscui
20-12-03, 22:07
XP says minimum on 64MB RAM

u tried it on that - if you havent dont :p

Scikar
20-12-03, 22:53
Also what speed is your RAM? If it's low speed then that'll be your bottleneck right there.

Clownst0pper
21-12-03, 03:19
Have fixed it guys, was my shitty drivers all along, thanks for your help :D