PDA

View Full Version : Theory for debate

KRIMINAL99
19-12-03, 19:53
I was just posting in another thread arguing with someone when something occurred to me. 90% of what people put into their arguments on forums (including my arguments) is totally unesscesary and even hurts the discussion. In fact, its totally possible that people could argue much more effectively using just single lines... maybe that looked like math equations.

Like if I was going to say PPU's are overpowered, I could put:

PPU Extreme defense + abillity to effect combat = Overpowered

A statement is only as good as its weakest link. So a person against this could pick one (or two, or all three) and just put a question mark next to it. Like:

PPU Extreme defense?

And then the first person would come up with a new one just for that like:

abillity to outheal damage = extreme defense

It could be broken down over and over until it got to something that was agreed upon to be true or something that was false in which case everything based on it is false.

If someone questioned the last part of one, then it means that the equation doesn't have enough parts to support the answer, and it should be restated with more parts or changing the existing parts to be more clear that the statement would be true if the parts are true. (and then the parts can be contested) Or if the original person thinks its obvious and can't think of any way to break it down more than they just restate it with a ! and thats the end of their argument - its just worth what its worth.

Lastly if someone put something as a part of one that can't be broken down anymore but is contested, for example "50 people had sex with droms" then the explaining equation would have like a picture, or a link to statistics or official quote etc like

"www.picofdromsex.com" = 50 people had sex with droms

I know this seems kind of silly to do because half the point of arguing is just to express frustrations for most people. But if anyone really wants to debate something than doing this would make a 5 page thread take a page and the discussion would progress much much faster in that time. If anyone wants to try just put one up here that they believe- any subject except politics since thats against the rules :P

Beanie McChimp
19-12-03, 21:00
Ok didn't read it all but what i reckon is PPU's aren't overpowered they are defence and support thus cannot kill but APU's have like uber combat yet lack the defence of a PPU.

J. Folsom
19-12-03, 21:03
This Theory + These Forums = Does not work

People here like the long point by point replies too much.

ghandisfury
19-12-03, 21:24
Originally posted by J. Folsom
This Theory + These Forums = Does not work

People here like the long point by point replies too much.

that they don't read:lol: :lol: :lol:

(read post above)

Marzola
19-12-03, 21:28
Originally posted by Beanie McChimp
Ok didn't read it all but what i reckon is PPU's aren't overpowered they are defence and support thus cannot kill but APU's have like uber combat yet lack the defence of a PPU.

this is a good example of when people really SHOULD read the full thread :rolleyes:

kurai
19-12-03, 21:48
Originally posted by Beanie McChimp
*digs out the old quote about an infinite number of monkeys & the works of Shakespeare*

A few more iterations needed for this one, I think ;)

RuriHoshino
19-12-03, 22:06
*giggle*

Actually it sounds like Dover of the Suburban Jungle!

"Set Forum.Workable(this) = false" :D

kurai
19-12-03, 22:28
Originally posted by RuriHoshino
Actually it sounds like Dover of the Suburban Jungle! Hrmmm.

I had no idea what that was, so Googled.

I get your point. ;)

I don't however, get the point of Suburban Jungle.

Is there some post-modern irony or multi-layered social comment I am to dim to detect ?

Or is it really just the most appalling content-free drivel ? :confused:

Dribble Joy
19-12-03, 22:38
Concept = Sound

People = People = Emotional, unthinking, selfish, blinkered, narow-minded cattle

foriegn casts = unbalanced PvP

Last coment = hypocritical regarding first coment (or not, regarding second comment)

Opinions = Balls

KRIMINAL99
20-12-03, 00:11
I guess the main reason people post really IS to vent or to joke around lol. The only reason I would be interested in something like this is because I learned to find happiness through figuring things out as a kid. Kinda funny that an emotion drives me to find a way to seperate emotion from debate.

Oh well. I have another theory, that people will have some idea what I mean if I only respond to posts this way and it will do half as much good as if both sides argued this way. So from now on I wont ever reply to a post without posting this way, unless its a joke thread. I'll just link to here for anyone who ever asks what I am on about.

So as an expiriment to beanie:

more effect on group fight than other class = overpowered

more powerful combat abillities than other class + better defense than other classes = more effect on group fight than other classes

ability to make someone take 2.25x damage + abillity to heal friend and slow enemy at same time as first effect = more powerful combat abillities than other class.

abillity to make friend last 1.5 times longer + ability to dam boost 50% the enemy = abillity to make someone take 2.25x damage over time

ability to shield 1/3 of damage on a friend = abillity to make friend last 1.5 times longer

abillity to make enemy take 2x damage = combat ability of fighter in a group

Shadow Dancer
20-12-03, 00:26
This is gonna hurt but..........I kinda agree with Kriminal. :(

Kriminal, to be blunt, disagree with you like 80% of the time and also hate the way you talk down to people. :p But I think this is an interesting theory. I agree that most of the time, in a debate or discussion, people will post something out of anger or just plain frustration. And often times, it comes out bad or just an angry or flame filled post.

I like the equation idea. But I don't think it would help in some arguements. I like to be very very specific in my arguements and tackle each point. I don't see how I could do that with these equation.

But I'd like to try it though, if just for the fun.

Extreme PPU importance + godlike defense = unbalanced

Extreme PPU importance + normal defense = balanced

Useful but not needed PPU + godlike defense = balanced

Useful but not needed PPU + normal defense = lame?

:p

How was that? :lol:

KRIMINAL99
20-12-03, 01:16
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer

Kriminal, to be blunt, disagree with you like 80% of the time and also hate the way you talk down to people. :p

A lot of people say that they hate that I do that, people seem to hate it much worse than if I just flinged insults back at them when people insult me with something like "stupid teenage punk pker" or whatever lol.

I guess people think you pointing out their being immature means you think your better than them or something. I never even say I don't do the same thing in arguments I just try not to. If someone pointed out my doing it I'd try to just be like "oh soz"

Sometimes I get overly defensive tho and do it to people without reason...

RuriHoshino
20-12-03, 01:29
Originally posted by kurai
Hrmmm.

I had no idea what that was, so Googled.

I get your point. ;)

I don't however, get the point of Suburban Jungle.

Is there some post-modern irony or multi-layered social comment I am to dim to detect ?

Or is it really just the most appalling content-free drivel ? :confused:

A little of all three, Kurai ;)

It's something like a furry soap opera.:D