PDA

View Full Version : Better Warnings

necrocon
19-12-03, 15:03
what happend you used to give us like a 5 or 10 minute warning last night was 30 minutes today was 45 this is a good time BUT we need to know at like 5 before also

amfest
19-12-03, 15:10
heh thought i might have enough time to get back to race track to drop off hovertech .. was passing alot of firemobs .. was just passing a Grim Chaser when server went down :D

Yeah .. there should be at least an hour warning . and it should be given in 10 min increments countdown . . with a 5, and 1 min warning. Although it might be the case that the person giving the estimated time till shutdown might not exactly know when it really is being shutdown but abouts ..

WebShock
19-12-03, 15:13
maybe it was the racetrack gr add on?

anyone bother to check?

necrocon
19-12-03, 15:14
well if you think about it someone has to press a key right

that person should give us the 10 min warning I think the 10 min incremints might be a bit much almost like a spam to us over time then again somethnig more than a 45 min silence then disconect would be nice I am at like - 40 right now and will be in my hallway :-(

J. Folsom
19-12-03, 15:19
A better system would probably the following:

First warning an hour in advance.
Second warning half an hour in advance.
Third warning fifteen minutes in advance.
Final warning five minutes in advance.

After the second warning, the front page of the launcher should be updated to read "Server's will go down in [number] minutes", number being of course dependant on how long it'll still take. Also, an announcement should be made in the forum and on the website at the time of the first warning, though preferrably earlier.

Sefran
19-12-03, 15:23
They told it 3 times in a row, but the problem is they only do it like 30-45min before the shutdown so problem is some ppl wont have seen the message...

necrocon
19-12-03, 15:26
well I saw all three yesterday but tonight I only noticed one maybe if they were not spammed together and spread out a few times throughout the night as we all agree

athon
19-12-03, 17:32
They could prob. fairly easily have a scritped system.

I would suggest:

Warnings at 1 hour and 45, 30, 15, 10, 5 and 3 mins.
Logons could also be blocked from, for example, 15 mins before the server shutdown.

Another possible system they could have is a 'server shutdown warning' icon on the hud. Make it large, red and totally obvious. It appears, for example, 30 mins before the shutdown and hovering the mouse over it gives a short explanation (which could be used for reason and approx. down time).

Athon Solo