PDA

View Full Version : PC OR MAC? 0_o

rubaduckythug
19-12-03, 08:04
Thats right just thought id bring it up for kicks:D

Since the forums seem kinda boring right now or slow o_O ;)

Lets pit computer extremest against eachother, who will win? the PC or the MAC?

I will never love a proprietary piece of shit like a mac, ermm well thats just the way i see it ;):p :) :lol:

EDIT: heres a good analogy 4 my desision: MAC's are like the volkswagon beetle "the new ones" ^^, they apeal to women becuase of the cute design and colros it comes in, much like a MAC. to me Macs are targetted for ppl who like design over funionality and performance, women, and ppl who are not quiet the computer literate. idk thats just my take :)

Spectra260
19-12-03, 08:09
PC > MAC

rob444
19-12-03, 08:10
MAC isnt as bad as you think, even in most games MAC got better graphics because MAC got better performance.. I didnt say that did I?! :P

Just check out Quake 3 and compare it with the PC version, MAC got mirror effects on textures etc, really cool stuff that PC wont be able to have without alot of fps loss :eek:

But I prefer PC since most games is being released to it :)

Drake6k
19-12-03, 08:11
I hate them both!

PC: Microsoft ************ company. They took bioware away from the computer and rare from nintendo.

MAC: It's all white! Nothing runs on it!!!!!! It's got the stupidest annoying fanboys. Maybe if your a mom or video editor it could be a good diea but ... mac sucks.

I'm on Windows xp for the simple reason that every game is put on this OS... demmit.

rubaduckythug
19-12-03, 08:15
rob, jsut let me mention this though. how many games are actually avalible to mac :) not very many hardcore games, "didnt say there wasnt any" but there are very few i wonder why :) although i know macs are good for video editing ect... and im sure they can play certain games nicly with smooth graphics, but when will you be able to upgrade your video card when the new technology comes? thats right you gotta buy a new mac ^^

EDIT: and drake i agree with that part, but microsoft dosnt own ibm or any kinda pc ;) dotn blame it on the pc's. also there are a ton of os's other then windows ^^

rob444
19-12-03, 08:23
Well I said that not many games was released on mac. Quake 3 was released on MAC first as beta (to stop PC users to see how crappy the game was by then). But still, if you have not played on a mac you shouldnt really discuss how boring, stupid and crappy a MAC is. I played on a LAN once (MAC LAN), it was really cool actually, to bad they did only have the 1 button mouse there, but you can buy a 2-3 button mouse to, MAC is shipped with a one button mouse because it's "easier" for the newbies.

EDIT: And to all the mac haters out there, I believe 85% of you havent even been sitting infront of one, only heard and believed in rumors ("mac is only good at video editing" etc..)

rubaduckythug
19-12-03, 08:30
un-true my friend ;) i have spent many years on macs, largly in part of school. i would never buy a mac though, i have never liked the games that were available on mac although i will admit that some of the programs such as vrml and morphing types have been quite fun to use and mess with. other then that i think the real work horse of computers is the pc though. plz dont make an ausumtion that i have never used a mac ^^ i have. :cool:

EDIT: wasnt sure if your post was directed at me btw jsut making my case :D

Joghurtbecher
19-12-03, 08:34
Its quite pointless to ask this question in a forum full of neocron addicts, isn't it? ;)

But nevertheless I voted for Mac. Its not a gaming machine (not only because neocron doesn't run on it). You get only older games and often you get problems with performace, because the games and the drivers aren't as optimized as for Windows. I own also a Pc (bought only for neocron :) ) and Windows is a dirty piece of crap. But if you don't touch it too much and do all important work on other machines it's a decent gaming console :D

Greetings Joghurtbecher

rubaduckythug
19-12-03, 08:37
hey i jsut thought id start a heated debate :lol: :p :lol:

Ogre
19-12-03, 08:39
PC>MAC ... though windoze does suck, its just well ... a nessasary evil, True mac can at times wind up with better graphics etc .. you jus gotta wait the 2 years before the game shows up on it *smirk* by that time yer way over-spec'd *heh*

And yes, ive played around with a mac, older one, but still , damn one mouse button .. and the imac *shudder* fish bowls the whole lot of em, not to mention the mouse that looks like yer hand'll crush it durin some vigourous mouse click shootin :D

Plus dunno why , i jus feel alot safer with a peice of legacy hardware attached to my machine (read floppy drive) hell i've pondered tossin on an old 5 1/4 jus to play some of the old games i got floatin around ( ahh good ol moslo)

rob444
19-12-03, 08:49
I said "if you have not played on a mac " I didnt say "you have not played on a mac"

phunqe
19-12-03, 10:52
Well...

For games, PC are still better than MACs. Simply because all titles are released first on PC, and then mayyyybe if someone bothers on MAC as well.

However, as for stability and security MAC OS X whipes the carpet clean. Note here that I don't mention the old MAC OSes. Haven't used them and I wouldn't even if someone paid me.
I would never EVER connect a windows machine directly to the internet without some sort of physical firewall in between.
Have you done "netstat -a" in a command window lately? You can get nightmares for less I'll tell you...

I use Max OS X at work and I like it a lot. Mostly I develop on it, and for C/C++/ObjC development itä's much much bvetter than Microsoft Blind studio and what not.
Furthermore, I actuall have control over stuff in Mac OS X. For example, I see this port open on the computer. Fine, I go into a terminal shell (Mac OS X is unix based) and can easily find out which program/service is it that have this port.

In windows I have no choice whatsoever. Microsoft have decided what's best for me, hence I cannot change anything. Even if I can it would require changes in the registry and then you're seriously fucked up.

I want full control.
Windows is good for the regular user I don't say anything else. However, newest Mac OS X is getting there as well.

I wouldn't choose between the two anymore actually, I would buy them both :)

Mac: Dear god have you seen the new 17" notebooks *squirt*
Windows: OMG 4563FPS in NC KOS H4X

sw1tch
19-12-03, 11:00
mac stole my inner child! (http://www.redvsblue.com/appleswitch.shtml)

edit: hmmz did i chose the right video?
edit2: anyone got a link to the inner child one? the linked is good also tho :P

inner child: http://www-edlab.cs.umass.edu/~ahelblin/misc/mac.html

numb
19-12-03, 11:14
I suppose it depends what you are using the Mac for. I have a couple of friends who write music, both of them have bought a mac for this task and from practically everything I read, Macs are superior in this area.

Personally I got the PC, obviously. As I like to play online games for it, and a lot of them are windows only.

sw1tch
19-12-03, 11:21
I suppose the ultimate question, as were are on a neocron forum, is can a mac play neocron? No.

therefore PC > MAC

it may outshine on video editing and graphic design, but thats not what matters ! :p

rubaduckythug
In windows I have no choice whatsoever. Microsoft have decided what's best for me, hence I cannot change anything. Even if I can it would require changes in the registry and then you're seriously fucked up.

Strange, very strange o_O . thats the way i feel using a mac :rolleyes:. well atleast the earlyer os versions im not sure about the OS X since i havnt tryed that yet.

EDIT:
Windows is good for the regular user 8|

phunqe
Btw, I saw this quoted on slashdot today:

"Working as a sysadmin at UC Berkeley's Residential Computing, since we serve more than 6,000 clients living in the dorms, we tend to know the major computing trends. There are 5,120 registered Windows XP machines in our system, and our staff have logged 2,452 duty logs to assist them (about one in two). On the other hand, there are 341 Mac OS X machines, and only 56 duty logs (about one in six). If we restrict these to virus and security related duty logs: Windows XP has 491 (about one in ten) and OS X has 2 (less than one in a hundred)!"

:D

rubaduckythug
19-12-03, 11:28
yea but look at the ratio ;) windows > OS X, theres wut like 15 X's more windows users lol, i hope you included that into your findings and ratioso_O

CrazyMan
19-12-03, 11:31
Well unfortunately i have to stick to a PC at home, but I'm planning to get a nice g5 some time in near future,

MAC is much more universal than PC, I was having fun with the mac that designers have here at work, I was running 3 simultenious winXP sessions ;) Was playing neocron with like 50+ fps and could flick between the OS's.

Mac is much more fun than boring PC...

All the folkes who says PC > Mac - have never worked on a good mac...

the only downside is the price of mac...

rubaduckythug
19-12-03, 11:50
lol, the downside is the price? :p i feel 4 you my friend, i truly do.

$1,799.00

1.6GHz PowerPC G5
800MHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache
256MB DDR333 128-bit SDRAM
Expandable to 4GB SDRAM
80GB Serial ATA
SuperDrive
Three PCI Slots
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem

------------------------------------------

I picked out 2 pc's just incase you were a Athlon or Pentium fan :)

AMD Athlon XP Processor 3000+
512MB DDR SDRAM PC-3200
120GB Seagate Serial ATA 8MB Cache
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128MB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Price: $1,760.00

------------------------------------------

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM PC-3200
120GB Seagate Serial ATA 8MB Cache
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra 128MB
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Price: $1,768.00

Both Pc's are from alienware ^^

i had to throw in the AMD of course since its 64 bit ^^

EDIT: Its also to bad we will never be able to benchmark a mac and a pc with new games :p :lol: :p poor mac :(

Babes
19-12-03, 12:10
The MAC is probably a better Machine and OS.

But its all down to population theres more PC's than MAC's.

One good reason for this is the MAC is technicaly a Closed BOX where you can build a PC from the Case UP.

Also Everyone Shares Softwear (pirates) and people want the same type of computer and softwear as they do at work.

But the main reason is the GAMES Market. Its Mainly Games Market pushes Technology forward and For users to Upgrade. First you need 64MB then 128mb Then 256mb then 512mb etc etc.

If the games is the "DOGS Bollocks" and runs on a PC people will buy the platform it runs on, same goes for Business Softwear.

MAC is Good but PC wins by its large Population.

Gydjia
19-12-03, 13:04
Mac is also the best platform for serious audio work now. The acquisition of Emagic, means it's going to be the only platform Logic Audio is available on, which is going to make it moreso the platform of choice (don't say ooh.. use cubase or cakewalk, pls be serious okay ;)). Also OS X is great, and well, it's basically unix underneath.

As much as I've always hated MACs, their proprietary nature, the fact that upgrading the OS still doesn't guarantee backward compatibility with all of your apps, and those pain in the arse Mac huggers that make whiny noises, well, I'm tempted now.

On the graphic design/video editing front, the PC is truly on a par there now, cept for the fact that firewire still isn't truly standard on all off the shelf PCs, but it is getting there.

Original monk
19-12-03, 13:06
mac for image-editing and proffesional use, video-music-images

pc for gaming

end of story

altough the diffrence is getting smaller and smaller

Archeus
19-12-03, 13:49
I had a Mac G3 laptop with Virtual PC.

I would bring it into work and hook up an external monitor. Then I would have Virtual PC running on one screen while the MAC ran on the other and I could drag drop between the two (the mouse was shared).

I could run everything I needed for work (Mac+PC).

I can tell you now, it shut up all those 'macs suck' people in work pretty fast.

kurai
19-12-03, 13:50
PC.

The "security" of Macs is something of a red herring as MacOS 9 and precursors were basically only secure through obscurity - there were never enough of them around to be worth h4xx0ring - law of diminishing returns etc.
They didn't have any startlingly effective or "magic" defences.

OSX inherits it's security from the *nix model and is therefore mostly good even with vanilla settings (*not* perfect ... anyone who tells you otherwise is a liar)

All of the above (Mac, Windows, *nix) can be tweaked for better (and notably *worse*) security.

Windows is, however, unarguably less secure when it comes to default "out of the box" installs.

From a personal point of view I simply don't like the feel of the OSX GUI/Window managers much and if I wanted to use a Linux-alike box I'd use ... well ... Linux ;)

I still find 2K/XP UI to be the fastest and best for the stuff I do day in day out.
There isn't yet an X based UI that comes close.

In conclusion - Macs have always been an "ethnic minority" in the computing world, and that's never gonna change. :D

J. Folsom
19-12-03, 14:04
They both have their uses, PC's are far more suited for gamers, since the PC selection of games is far, far, larger then the Mac has. Only big company I'd call an exception on this matter is Blizzard, who always release Mac and PC versions of their games at the same time.

The Mac, however, seems to have a larger selection of "development" programs, more graphical programs, more musical programs, etc.

For most people you're likely to meet on any type of forum, a PC is proably preferrable, as most forum posters are gamers as well.

Psyco Groupie
19-12-03, 14:10
Personal Computers beat the pants off of any mac in floating point and direct 3d / opengl ... the mac OS is clever .. but all the image editing progs only work better because they are programmed for *nix ... macs will never catch up as a gaming platform until they dump the shitty processors :)

Jesterthegreat
19-12-03, 14:15
as PC is obv gonna win...

surely the next question is windows or linux?

Archeus
19-12-03, 14:26
Downside to MAC is price sadly (Or I would have loads of them).

windows or linux? Depends on what you plan to do.

Why not just dual boot and have both?

Jesterthegreat
19-12-03, 14:29
why not dual boot? cos i am currently multi booting between XP pro, XP Pro and 2000 :p its getting ecessive.

and if linux had the software support... i would whipe my PC and get it this instant :p

Mumblyfish
19-12-03, 14:34
PCs are unreliable at best. The OS of choice (Windows) is poorly done, and is subject to a variety of mass attacks. To me, the only reason to have one is to play games.

If I ever have to do any work, or just casual Internet browsing, I swivel my chair around to my G5. The Interface on Macs just... works. Panther is the best OS ever. That said, I can't ever imagine doing anything but work on a Mac... it doesn't feel right.

And Macs look good. Style. It's all good.

To summarise...

For gaming/power-applications = PC
For working/designing/music = Mac

Jesterthegreat
19-12-03, 14:38
Originally posted by Mumblyfish

And Macs look good. Style. It's all good.

i love the mice macs get... they really look good :D

J. Folsom
19-12-03, 14:42
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
i love the mice macs get... they really look good :D

OMG, HWO CNA U LKEI TOSE!?!?!?!!?!? THYE GTO OLNY 1 BUTTN!!!!!!!1!!!1!!111

Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
surely the next question is windows or linux?

Same as what I said about mac really, windows is better for gaming, linux is better for other stuff.

phunqe
19-12-03, 14:43
Originally posted by rubaduckythug
yea but look at the ratio ;) windows > OS X, theres wut like 15 X's more windows users lol, i hope you included that into your findings and ratioso_O

The ratio (log/error ratio per machine) has nothing to do with the actual machine count differenc between PCs and MACs :)

The ratio is constant. Sure, you would get a more correct statistical ground if there were more MACs, but you can draw pretty obvious conclusions even from the numbers given :p

:D

EDIT: And if you've only tried the old MAC OS 9 and earlier... well... ;)

Jesterthegreat
19-12-03, 14:51
Originally posted by J. Folsom

OMG, HWO CNA U LKEI TOSE!?!?!?!!?!? THYE GTO OLNY 1 BUTTN!!!!!!!1!!!1!!111

thas functuality not looks :p

Same as what I said about mac really, windows is better for gaming, linux is better for other stuff. but if linux had the software support i couldnt think of a single advantage windows has over it.

however as it is i agree. wondows is for games... linux is for real work lol

ino
19-12-03, 16:21
Hm the pc read Windows is preferable to mac cause of one thing. The same thing as its preferable to most over *nix aswell. Most games run there and not on the others.

The new mac machines are really nice machines so comparable to a pc with windows if it got the same games it would probably own windows hard on most aspects.

I like pc's and i would love to have one of thoose new mac's or one of their portable's. and linux run there too so its just like home :).

GT_Rince
19-12-03, 16:26
ALL YOUR MAC ARE BELONG TO US...

PC > MAC :D

athon
19-12-03, 16:38
There's a reason why the arrogant Apple got their "fastest desktop comupter in the world" ads banned in the UK. Macs are shit. And don't forget about the gigs of memory over a PC you need to run anything 'cause Mac programmers haven't heard of memory management.

Of course I'm a dedicated PC user, and a dedicated Linux user for my work machine. Linux pwnz all on my work machine and one day soon will completely pwn Windoze for gaming too. Of that I have no doubt.

LINUX FOREVER!

Athon Solo

PS. MJS: Could you please work with the WineX / Wine people to see if you can sort out the font problems with Neocron on linux. Then I'd be able to stop booting to Windows on my games machine so much. TIA.

Shujin
19-12-03, 16:43
mac = i consider best for real gfx making and movie editing, dunno why i just think they are 9000% better at such things than PC.

PC = gaming tankx0r

Archeus
19-12-03, 17:03
Originally posted by athon
And don't forget about the gigs of memory over a PC you need to run anything 'cause Mac programmers haven't heard of memory management.

o_O What version of the MAC is that then?

Of course I'm a dedicated PC user, and a dedicated Linux user for my work machine. Linux pwnz all on my work machine and one day soon will completely pwn Windoze for gaming too. Of that I have no doubt.

Which you have to ask the question, how long have you been using MACs? I am sure if we had a MS head on saying 'Lunux' sucks you would be screaming STFU noobie.