PDA

View Full Version : Winamp V

Psyco Groupie
18-12-03, 17:55
Incase you didnt know V is five, yeah they missed a number :)

Not seen anything about this yet so I thought i'd enlighten you windows media 9 and real player lovers to the new generation of media player :D

Winamp Five! (http://www.winamp.com)

The radio station list is cool, the net tv is even cooler .. themes rock .. wow :D

have fun :angel:

Jesterthegreat
18-12-03, 17:58
i dread the thought of sorting out my playlist on a new player - thats why i am still using the memory hungry media player :p

ah well - maybe i will swap, maybe not

Mumblyfish
18-12-03, 18:19
Winamp 2 > Winamp 5 > Winamp 3

The best reason to use Winamp 5 is that you can turn off all the options until you get Winamp 2. Erm... whoopee...

Oh, before I forget...

http://www.arstechnica.com/reviews/01q1/macwldsf/images/itunes-1-big.jpg

MayhemMike
18-12-03, 18:22
winamp 2> all tbh

Crashtec
18-12-03, 18:22
I just downloaded this and was trying to watch the internet TV feed form a few different sources and it initializes and the buffer goes to 100% then I just get a single still image form the video srouce and it just sits there, no video, just a still capture form the stream.

El_MUERkO
18-12-03, 18:28
Winamp 5 = w1n but its a resource hog so I only use it when browsing, Winamp 2 = teh s3x and I use it for backgound music when playing games :)

Mumblyfish
18-12-03, 18:33
http://a.r.tv.com/cnet.1d/i/so/itunes/sc_iTunes.gif

Ah, forget it. You're all handbags.

Psyco Groupie
18-12-03, 18:49
itunes sucks donkey balls

kurai
18-12-03, 19:07
I still use Winamp 2.

The succesive versions just don't do anything useful that 2 doesn't.

gostly
18-12-03, 19:30
yea itunes sucks bad...

i guess whoever said winamp2 > winamp5 > winamp3 = agreee....lol, new winamp5 is kool, but i still wanna know where winamp4 went

Duder
18-12-03, 19:31
They skipped a number....because winamp 5 is soo cool.

And it is too....

Psycho_Soldier
18-12-03, 19:37
I heard they skipped a number because its supposed to be like Winamp 2 + 3 = 5... lol

Pwnage
18-12-03, 19:39
Winamp 2 + Winamp 3 = Winamp 5

They took the best features from Winamp 2 and Winamp 3 and put them together to form Winamp 5. That's why there is no 4.

Anyone that is not using Winamp 2 to play MP3s is a n00b. No other program comes close.

I doubt I'll even download this since Winamp 2 just works sooo good.

Edit: Psycho beat me to it :(

Mumblyfish
18-12-03, 19:42
Originally posted by Pwnage
I doubt I'll even download this since Winamp 2 just works sooo good.

:lol:

In it's favour, Winamp 2 is the best bare bones MP3 program I know. If you want something that just plays music, go for it. But it lacks so much stuff that I use on an almost daily basis, so I uninstalled it.

Never missed it, to be honest.

FirestarXL
18-12-03, 19:42
The new default skin is sexy, I use the clover colour theme and it's very nice. I also like the feature where the window can be transparent to a setting you specify, until you move the mouse over it and it goes opaque. Now I leave it sitting Always On Top in the bottom right of my right hand monitor and it's perfect.

That's the main reason I choose it over winamp2, the slightly increased memory footprint turns out to be totally irelevant so I don't actually lose anything by running it, yet I do gain. Teh Win.

Pwnage
18-12-03, 19:50
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
:lol:

In it's favour, Winamp 2 is the best bare bones MP3 program I know. If you want something that just plays music, go for it. But it lacks so much stuff that I use on an almost daily basis, so I uninstalled it.

Never missed it, to be honest.

Like what? The only thing that comes to mind is videos, and personaly I find media player to work just fine for that.

I never stream anything... soo...

Well each to his own. I haven't changed my version of Winamp or the skin for ages. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ahhahaha :)

Mumblyfish
18-12-03, 20:07
Reasons why I use iTunes over anything else (feel free to comment, this is just because of what I use media kits for...)

AAC is "better" than MP3. Better quality at a smaller file size. Last I checked, Winamp doesn't play AAC... I think it does in 5 though, but still...

Synchs with my iPod. Perfectly. Don't think there's any other program with flawless iPod support.

Smart Playlists. Amazing Smart Playlists. Absolutely amazing.

Inbuilt, quick CD burning. Make a good playlist, and burn it. Or use Smart Playlists to get a CD off in a few seconds.

CDs rip to MP3s easily. For free, too (glances at Winamp5).

Looks sexy.

Honestly, can someone tell me why I should use Winamp5 if I use all that... ALL THE TIME?

Duder
18-12-03, 20:18
Great, this thread is becoming a geek fight, Winamp 5 Vs iTunes.....SIGH.

Psyco Groupie
18-12-03, 20:20
dont use media players to burn cds ? :)

filesize doesnt matter for me, i've still not managed to fill up my 20 gig mp3 player with like 100 albums .. thats more than the 2 batteries can handle .. 24 hours :)

ho well .. i just hate mac GUI and itunes has it .. blarg .. plus the plugins are shite

Mumblyfish
18-12-03, 20:40
Originally posted by Duder
Great, this thread is becoming a geek fight, Winamp 5 Vs iTunes.....SIGH.

GEEK FIGHT!

If anything, it's a music-whore fight. But hell, I'm up for a geek fight.

Omnituens
18-12-03, 20:45
Ive been using winamp 5 for ages now

better than the other versions.

Duder
18-12-03, 20:56
Originally posted by Omnituens
Ive been using winamp 5 for ages now

better than the other versions.

Eh wasnt Winamp 5 released 2 days ago or something?

Pwnage
18-12-03, 21:02
Reasons why I use iTunes over anything else (feel free to comment, this is just because of what I use media kits for...)

AAC is "better" than MP3. Better quality at a smaller file size. Last I checked, Winamp doesn't play AAC... I think it does in 5 though, but still...

Synchs with my iPod. Perfectly. Don't think there's any other program with flawless iPod support.

Inbuilt, quick CD burning. Make a good playlist, and burn it. Or use Smart Playlists to get a CD off in a few seconds.

Looks sexy.

Honestly, can someone tell me why I should use Winamp5 if I use all that... ALL THE TIME?

You bring up good points and I never really looked at it like that. If you like having everything in one program, by all means. I suppose you have to install iTunes for an iPod anyways.

I'm the kind of person that uses a single program for a single purpose.

Winamp for MP3, Nero for burning, EAC for ripping... why? Cuz I know they are damn good and will work flawlessly.

I'm not turning this into a geek fight. :)

kurai
18-12-03, 21:07
Originally posted by Duder
Eh wasnt Winamp 5 released 2 days ago or something? Version 5 betas and RCs (Release Candidates) have been floating around for ages.

g0rt
18-12-03, 21:12

Looks sexy.

1. theres always a codec to be downloaded

2. ipod? lol

3. cant get any quicker/easier then winamp2 playlists

4. as soon as progs try to do it all, they suck and th ones that specialize in one thing is way better

5. read #4

6. looks like quicktime hahahaha i like my mp3 player to take about 20x200 pixels = win

Mumblyfish
18-12-03, 21:12
Like I said, it's all dependant on what you want. If you want the best programs, then I can't argue that Winamp2/5 should be on your hard drive. It is the best MP3-player-only available, even if it is slowly becoming clutter-ware. But I just love being able have iTunes in the background all the time, a single keyboard shortcut essentially bringing up all my music/burning programs rather than having to trawl through the start menu.

Diff'rent strokes, diff'rent folks. That said, I'm installing it now, let's see what the fuss is about :)

Edit:

ipod? lol

I won it, it's a 20 gig one, current generation. I'm not complaining, though. Best MP3 player on the market, but I certainly wouldn't buy one.

18-12-03, 22:32
[ edited for violation of the forum rules - please don't show off your 1337 software theft skillz here, it will only get you banned ]

Beanie McChimp
18-12-03, 23:18
WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER!! lol
seriously from what i've seen of winamp 5 its all good but i use windows media player as it is so easy to use just click on media libraray bam ure in

Odin
18-12-03, 23:33
Originally posted by Beanie McChimp
WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER!! lol
seriously from what i've seen of winamp 5 its all good but i use windows media player as it is so easy to use just click on media libraray bam ure in

Not a fan of WMP myself. I can always hear this crystallized sound in the far background that I don't get with other programs. Plus that suckers a resource hog.
Could be worse though....you could be using realplayer bleh.

Winamp 5 seems pretty good so far.

Mumblyfish
18-12-03, 23:39
Originally posted by Odin
Could be worse though....you could be using realplayer bleh.

Who the fuck uses Realplayer?

Well... it kinda installed itself, then I uninstalled it, formatted my hard disk, stamped on it, threw it in the microwave, smashed it with a sledgehammer and scattered the debris all over the Pacific Ocean.

It's... still... fucking... INSTALLED!

MUMBLY SMASH!

*ph33r*
18-12-03, 23:41
OMG NERF REALPLAYER! IT JUST WONT DIE!1111111

Winamp 5 is coo.

Psyco Groupie
19-12-03, 02:43
rofl @ realsellyoursoulplayer

Revslad
19-12-03, 06:47
winamp 5 with izotope Ozone roxOrz you;)

rob444
19-12-03, 08:15
Originally posted by Psycho_Soldier
I heard they skipped a number because its supposed to be like Winamp 2 + 3 = 5... lol

It's true, they take the best out of Winamp 2 and combine it with Winamp 3 and it makes Winamp 5 :P