PDA

View Full Version : Multiple damage mods on melee?

Strych9
17-12-03, 18:05
I was reading over the melee poison mod thread, and I thought of this: what if melee could have multiple damage mods at the same time? So you could take a 5 slotted melee and put on fire/poison/xray/energy damage on it, so it does basically every type of damage in the game at once?

I am not saying the total damage it does is necessarily multiplied by 5, but the damage it does is just divided up into different damage types. This would give melee (which is otherwise lacking) the advantage of being able to do SOME type of damage to just about EVERYONE, no matter how they specced their resists.

No ammo to load, so why limit damage to one modded type?

Zanathos
17-12-03, 18:10
energy = laserblades

xray? You want to wield and iradiated sword? I sure as hell wouldnt.

poison make sense

fire? how does a melee weapon have fire properties on it?

force? possible, the force from being hit by the weapon... but, swords, claws, daggers dont really have such a thing.

*cough* warhammers, maces, etc... *cough*

poison is really the only plausable mod for melee weapons besides the laserblades and the damage mods.

Psycho_Soldier
17-12-03, 18:15
Originally posted by Zanathos
energy = laserblades

poison make sense

force? possible, the force from being hit by the weapon... but, swords, claws, daggers dont really have such a thing.

poison is really the only plausable mod for melee weapons besides the laserblades and the damage mods.

DUDE! IT IS A GAME!!!

Even more, it is a Futuristic SciFi game, as in in not REALISTIC. Stop trying to justify not adding content with reality.

Jesterthegreat
17-12-03, 18:15
laserblades can have xray no prob. same with fire.

hmm...

if tech got fire (extra energy will go into light / heat) / xray (not hard to bet radiation into energy in the future me thinks) and low tech got poison (easy) and force (blunten?) then we would have tanks with PoB / DG capable of any damage type?

L0KI
17-12-03, 18:16
energy = laserblades

poison make sense

If someone slashed you 30 times with a knife, would u walk away unscathed?

this isnt the real world, and melee needs one hell of a boost.

Zanathos
17-12-03, 18:23
thats besides the point.

yes laser blades i suppose can have xray and fire damage, but not low tech, force and poison for them

Jesterthegreat
17-12-03, 18:25
aye - my post would give mele'ers access to all damage types on their 2 highest rares. thats more than any other classes get i think?

Kimiko
17-12-03, 18:27
The point most people seem to have missed here is the poll is about mods active at the same time.

Which would give the melee tank a great advantage over any other class, being able to do 4 or 5 types of damage AT ONCE.

So no, limit it to either one mod for all, or multiple mods that can only be used once (so you cannot have fire, xray, poison and force mods all at once)

Strych9
17-12-03, 18:32
Yeah, I dont see the high tech weaps doing the low tech damage.

My idea was that this would be one way to give melee an edge, and possibly bring it somewhat in line with ones weaps in the game. Instead of having to have a xray modded weap and a fire modded weap, and then switch weaps depending on who you are fighting, melee would afford the luxury of doing all damage types at once, so no need to switch.

Of course, this could be internally balanced by how the damage is divided up. So a melee with ONLY fire (and pierce or whatever) would do more fire damage than a melee with fire, xray, and poison.
Originally posted by Kimiko
Which would give the melee tank a great advantage over any other class, being able to do 4 or 5 types of damage AT ONCE.
Not really. The sum of all damage types would be the same as if it was only one damage type.

So if the melee does 100 damage total, then with no mods it does 100 pierce. With a fire mod, it does 50 pierce, 50 fire. With Fire, Xray, and Energy, it would do 25 pierce, 25 fire, 25 xray, 25 energy.

I am not sure if that translates into a "great advantage." But I could be mistaken of course.

This also assumes that melee will never be brought up to the same level of other weaps in terms of damage.

Psycho_Soldier
17-12-03, 18:32
thats besides the point.

yes laser blades i suppose can have xray and fire damage, but not low tech, force and poison for them

I don't see why not. It is the future, do you really even think it's possible to make energy swords? Look at other low-tech weapons in the game, they have explosive, xray (uranium), fire mods, and poison. Energy weapons have, fire, explosive, xray, and a useless one that adds more energy based damage. I don't see why poison can't be added with high tech melee can't have poison and force, or low tech can't have fire or xray.

Zanathos
17-12-03, 18:37
Its possible in real life to have the kinds of ammunitions that are in the game now though. Explosive bullets, Phosphorus bullets, definetly not energy bullets otherwise its an energy weapon, but radiated ammo is an entire possibility of course.

Not too sure about the uranium ammo though, may exist in real life but.. not really sure.

as for MULTIPLE damage mods ACTIVE at one time on a melee weapon, it doesnt make sense.

how can a weapon have poison damaging properties and fire as well? does the poison combust with chemical properties in the body? Does the iradiated weapon feel like its burning when combined with a poison? If you think about it anyways, radiation IS a poison.

Some logic HAS to be invloved with games. Otherwise it makes no sence at all.

If you want more melee stuff, read my GenTank Ideas.

Strych9
17-12-03, 18:44
as for MULTIPLE damage mods ACTIVE at one time on a melee weapon, it doesnt make sense.

Some logic HAS to be invloved with games. Otherwise it makes no sence at all.Hehe. Well take the clawed weapons. Each claw can take a mod. One talon be poison tipped, one have a napalm like substance that burns upon contact with human flesh, etc.

But this is a game, and we can always find a way for it to make sense. :)

Overall, the "doesnt make sense" criteria should be used sparingly in discussions like that. If it doesnt make sense for game balance, thats one thing. Not making sense in terms of reality- that seldom applies.

Psycho_Soldier
17-12-03, 18:46
Its possible in real life to have the kinds of ammunitions that are in the game now though. Explosive bullets, Phosphorus bullets, definetly not energy bullets otherwise its an energy weapon, but radiated ammo is an entire possibility of course.

Not too sure about the uranium ammo though, may exist in real life but.. not really sure.

how can a weapon have poison damaging properties and fire as well? does the poison combust with chemical properties in the body? Does the iradiated weapon feel like its burning when combined with a poison? If you think about it anyways, radiation IS a poison.

If you want more melee stuff, read my GenTank Ideas.

Seriously dude, you are thinking way to deep with this shit. It is a game, I know plenty of games with tons of stuff in them that logic doesn't justify. Does that make them not fun? No, it actually makes them alot more fun. Logic does not have to be involved with games. IMO, if logic is involved with games it actually makes them more BORING.

Jesterthegreat
17-12-03, 18:48

guess what? monks lived in a cave where they gained the ability to bring people back to life with their minds!

realism? O_o

Strych9
17-12-03, 18:52
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
guess what? monks lived in a cave where they gained the ability to bring people back to life with their minds!

realism? O_o Yeah... in REAL life, monks lived in the ocean when they got that ability. :p

Zanathos
17-12-03, 18:55
You dont understand the point im getting at, oh well.

I have no reason to speak any further, I stated my opinion and im leaving it at that. I dont like the idea.