PDA

View Full Version : [OT] music question

FuzzyDuck
16-12-03, 21:37
what's a 'mode' and how does it relate to scale, all the sites I've looked at make it appear really complicated - is there a simple way to explain it?

g0rt
16-12-03, 21:48
im lost

OpTi
16-12-03, 22:00
a mode is a scale using a different root note basicaly

been a long time since i done music theory, but i assume you can write a simple major scale?

write a major scale then play the same scale 1 semi-tone higher thats the next mode (can't remember the name of the modes)

i'm pretty thats right but someone can correct me if i'm wrong :)

Edit: ok it still looks complicated but if you've done and understand basic music theory i think you'll get it, if you don't get it you might wanna quickly go through basics quickly then come back to modes. IIRC it gets even harder to understand after modes :/

superfresh
16-12-03, 22:15
Every note in a basic major scale can be the root of a sub-scale. These are known as modes. Take the 5 of a major scale, end on the 12, and you have a Mixolydian mode, which works well over Dominant chords (A7, B7, etc).

Each "mode" also has a different amount of "tension", which you can kinda tell by listening to them. This is handy in standard songwriting - a chord built off of the 5 of a major scale has a bit of "tension" that resolves nicely to the root or 1.

L0KI
16-12-03, 22:21
Originally posted by superfresh
Every note in a basic major scale can be the root of a sub-scale. These are known as modes. Take the 5 of a major scale, end on the 12, and you have a Mixolydian mode, which works well over Dominant chords (A7, B7, etc).

Each "mode" also has a different amount of "tension", which you can kinda tell by listening to them. This is handy in standard songwriting - a chord built off of the 5 of a major scale has a bit of "tension" that resolves nicely to the root or 1.

He said not complicated. Im a musician and u lost me :D

superfresh
16-12-03, 22:24
soz

If you take a major scale, use all of those notes but start going from something other than the root to its octave. A mode is a scale that fits into the major scale, but doesn't start on the root.

hudsonbeck
16-12-03, 22:39
*Shouts*
Freebird!!!

H

OpTi
16-12-03, 22:46
Originally posted by L0KI
He said not complicated. Im a musician and u lost me :D

i was ok till he got the the tension part, but i think i understand what he means, i got up to modes and thats where i stopped learning. I now remember what they are, my description was off but i get it again now :D

FuzzyDuck
16-12-03, 23:04
ok thanks, this helps a lot - I've linked it in with all these weird sites and it seems to make sense now.

(Yeah I know how to write major scales :D minor scales :D Blues Scales :D Spanish Classical Scales :D And all the rest of those bloody scales :cool: )