PDA

View Full Version : Tenuous Faction alliances/hostilities

Dribble Joy
16-12-03, 04:37
Do you feel that some the the 'reasons' given for the faction stances with the other factions seem a bit thin?
I have no problem with the current system of factions or the current stances of the moment.

But for instance, CM.
There is little story/reason behind thier enemies.
They are hostile to BD and TG.
TG, because the vast majority of the contracts against them, and probably don't agree with their methods, and the fact the are trying to take down thier main payers/suppliers. Fair enough, bit weak though.
BD,...... BD apparently had a SysAdmin that defected against BD, and CM decided to take him in.
BD and CM are now out for each other's throats... wtf?
I know the mercs and BD believe in honour, but I wouldn't expect this sort of thing between BD and TS ffs.

And the others.

NEXT and FA, why are they allies? Something to do with IrataIII?

Proto and DRE?

I'm sure there are others.

Fair enough if they needed a faction to give another enough enemies/allies, but they could have come up with some more solid stories.

Not dissing KK in general, just this particular area.

Shadow Dancer
16-12-03, 04:46
I totally and completely agree. I've thought about it countless times. I really think the whole faction system is a bunch of crock and actually hinders RP IMO.

Oh well. :/

KimmyG
16-12-03, 05:21
I for one am not really interested in the complete history of a fictional game.

VetteroX
16-12-03, 05:25
same. I just want a faction with the description "We like to kill people" and is hostile to all.

g0rt
16-12-03, 05:50
How about a psycho killing faction that hates everyone and wants the world as we know it to die and lie in ruins.

Aka...a faction thats red to everyone. Yes everyone even itself.

GIMMEH

rubaduckythug
16-12-03, 06:39
:p :lol: verttero, atleast your honest and you put it nicly ;) i dont htink many could have put it better :cool:

Mishakal
16-12-03, 20:29
How about players contribute short fiction to come up with reasons and history behind these fueds?

Strych9
16-12-03, 20:48
Under what pretext would a psycho faction come into existance, or be allowed to persist?

Even better question- why would people that want to kill EVERYONE else even HAVE a faction? The very notion of a faction goes against that idea.

I think you are moreso talking about non-faction, rather than faction.

But sure, make a faction (non-faction) like that in the game. When you kill mobs you should get no credits, and you can only buy things from nomad traders (no merchants associated with a faction) and things like that- that would be fine. You can kill everyone without penalty, everyone can kill you without penalty, and all faction guards attack you on sight.

I say go for it. Lets see who is bad enough.

Richard Blade
16-12-03, 21:17
I may not agree with VetteroX about much. Not that it matters.

But, this time, he has a point. His play style isn't mine, but if it would help to add RP existence to his style... blah blah blah...

The faction he is looking for is called "Anarchy Breed".

@Vett, take no offense please, I have a huge headache and my communications skills are teetering on the brink of slobber.

Breschau
16-12-03, 21:52
Originally posted by Richard Blade

The faction he is looking for is called "Anarchy Breed".

Not within the current faction setup it's not. They don't like to kill everyone - they're allies with FA for a start :)

I think a lot of the alliances weren't really preplanned as part of the backstory. They're just there because someone somewhere has decided that everyone has to be allies with at least one enemy of at least one of their other allies. If that means FA and NEXT ally for no particular reason, so be it.

Dribble Joy
16-12-03, 21:55
Exactly, I'm just saying they could have thought a bit more about the stories for them.

Breschau
16-12-03, 21:59
They *really* didn't think them through for the CityMercs. You're allied with half the factions you're meant to be taking contracts against, so the game punishes you for doing what the backstory says you should be doing.

Jest
16-12-03, 22:00
It seems to me like the faction sympathies will be getting a major overhaul when BDoY comes around so we might not have this problem after that.

L0KI
16-12-03, 22:02
100% agree.

If nothing else we need reasons