PDA

View Full Version : As one leaves...

Archeus
15-12-03, 20:21
More join.

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier but over the weekend I met a lot of new players. A lot more then I normally would.

These were genuine new players too. On a bus trip passed a hoverbomber (they are all in the APC) there were screams "OMG!! WE ARE GOING TO DIE" and other nice comments. ^_^

It was a refreshing change to tour for them, and geniune questions on things like "What is this bonus icon mean?", "How are you controlling that drone?", "what is that blue twirly thing?" and other general questions.

what was intresting was nearly all of them were totally devoid of the server politics (some had been playing for a week), but had actually formed bonds between players of like levels. One team had actually met in MC5 and were helping each other since to try and figure out the game.

I can see in 3-6 months totally new clans forming to replace those that currently exist with mostly new players.

Morris
15-12-03, 20:27
Yep. People say "OMG TIHS GAEM IS GOIGN 2 B DIE SOON" but for every long-winded "What ho, I am the vanguard of this exodus! Sally forth into SWG, my brothers!" post I see at least 2 completely new players asking questions that I remember asking not that long ago.

*ph33r*
15-12-03, 20:35
[No Spam Please - Ulle]

Archeus
15-12-03, 20:35
Three things you should tell a newbie if they don't know.

1. F1 = Chat system. Explain custom chat channels and the help channel.

2. F9 is NavRay. Explain how to use it and that it can be used to find a GR in the wilderness (if you are outside).

Beyond that, general hints or help getting to a spot (like seeing tech haven for the first time or OZ).

3. Explain the LE (no XP/cash penalty) the benifits and negatives of having it in. Make sure it is thier choice to leave in/remove.

Powerlevelling or dumping large sums of cash on them makes the player bored quicker. It is better the learning is done over a period of time.

Oh and dragging a brand new player into a clan is normally counter productive starting off as the player takes on that clans baggage. For example DARK are actually an ok clan (once you are relaxed about fighting/dying) but a newbie joining them would be more likely to get ganked then helped by other players.

nonamebrandeggs
15-12-03, 20:40
To the newb sewers!

SovKhan
15-12-03, 20:41
Originally posted by Archeus
For example DARK are actually an ok clan (once you are relaxed about fighting/dying) but a newbie joining them would be more likely to get ganked then helped by other players.

ive helped quite a few brand new players out that were in dark. although it is fun the process does get quite overwhelming most people thing that the lowbies in our clan are rerolls or alts of members so they tend to get ganked. we have sort of a dont join clan untile you are higher up attitude because of this.

not to mention powerleveling people is alright however new people tend to reroll and test out other classes so much of the powerleveling time will be wasted.

i would love it if there was some sort of thing you chose at mc5 that if your a brand new player to the game it would so it next to faction. ie N.E.X.T, new player.

then again you do get those people who would gank them simply because they are a new player. and it brings in its own negatives.

SovKhan
15-12-03, 20:43
arg hit quote instead of edit =\

nonamebrandeggs
15-12-03, 20:47
Someone has a problem... :rolleyes: <- he is looking upwards

Style
15-12-03, 20:50
what goes up must go down, please. wa gwan wiv you bringing dis up neway, we all know once neptune or doy is released the numbers will roll back in. n u know dis man

Strych9
15-12-03, 20:51
I have been out a while, and just got back in- could someone summarize the LE changes, in terms of advantages and disadvantages right now? I know the big disadvantage is being unable to join a clan- but can someone list out the exact things it does?

Thanks. Wanna make sure I spread proper info.

SovKhan
15-12-03, 20:52
um takes up brain imp spot and you cannot join a clan.

but also make sure they are aware of turrets.

Darth Slayer
15-12-03, 20:54
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
To the newb sewers!

No No not the sewers not again plz GOD NOOOOOOO !
Heh I remember I was like lvl 30 before I left the sewers back when I was a noob. I was to proud ( or scared ) to ask for help or hints and tips and found a lot out on my own, still I've learned and compared to Scorpius my other cha's have leveled quite quickly...
Still Nice to see fresh victims.......erm players yes players...:D

Archeus
15-12-03, 21:50
Originally posted by SovKhan
um takes up brain imp spot and you cannot join a clan.

but also make sure they are aware of turrets.

yep no XP/Cash stolen by that evil Reeza and you don't drop a quickbelt.

As for the turrets I tend to tell them to stay out of outposts altogether unless for a good reason.

Well actually we normally drive up to the entrance of one and I show them the owner sign and explain that entering an op normally means you will be killed by turrets or the owners if they are hostile to you.

Any newbie normally doing the sewers is going to have thier LE in (at least the few I have met). In general you find the newbie players wandering around the city totally lost.

Strych9
15-12-03, 22:05
So to clarify, there is no longer any XP penalty by having your LE in?

Like I said, it has been a while...

Elric
15-12-03, 22:08
Originally posted by Strych9
So to clarify, there is no longer any XP penalty by having your LE in?

Like I said, it has been a while...

none at all.

No XP Penalty, No Money penalty, No Quickbelt (item) drop when you die... Cant be targetted by any non-LE players (including PPU's for buffs etc), can still get shot at by turrets, cant join a clan.... i think thats it...

Strych9
15-12-03, 22:10
Wow. Tons different from "back in the day." Guess thats why I see so many LE players running around.

I slapped it back it on my new tank, our of courtesy since he was levelling with AOE weapons (grenade launcher, then RGC and Fusion) in El Farid and in the aggie cellars- but I assumed I was being penalized like before.

StryfeX
16-12-03, 03:00
Originally posted by Elric
none at all.

No XP Penalty, No Money penalty, No Quickbelt (item) drop when you die... Cant be targetted by any non-LE players (including PPU's for buffs etc), can still get shot at by turrets, cant join a clan.... i think thats it... A quick note, as of a couple patches ago (the last time I had an LE in), there was *still* a slight XP penalty. It's small (really small), but it's there.

(Remember, this was just from a few patches ago, so it may have been a stealth fix since then. TBH, I'm hoping someone proves me wrong. :))

--Stryfe

TheEnemy
16-12-03, 03:22
Originally posted by Elric
none at all.

No XP Penalty, No Money penalty, No Quickbelt (item) drop when you die... Cant be targetted by any non-LE players (including PPU's for buffs etc), can still get shot at by turrets, cant join a clan.... i think thats it...

And plus you can spy on enemies and they can't kill you :\

StryfeX
16-12-03, 04:08
Originally posted by TheEnemy
And plus you can spy on enemies and they can't kill you :\ Someone a little bitter? :p

--Stryfe

amfest
16-12-03, 06:11
Cant be targetted by any non-LE players (including PPU's for buffs etc),

yes but you can get buffs from other LE players ... LE"d PPUs and such . . . a advantage of being LE"d is when you are using AoE weapons in a cave or tight area .. you don't have to worry about hurting anyone . . also in cases of apu you can target the mobs through non Le'd players .. and if it's not a line of sight spell you will hit em . . although i'm not sure about that Drone AoE bug where if you hit a non LE'd player by accident (you can still target non LE"d players and plet them though you do no dmg) it still registers that you hit them . .so if they die . .you would lose soul light and faction symp . .. can anyone clarify if that's fixed or not?

although I believe even though you can't open dropped belts with LE in (even if you're in team) you can still hack them .. unless that's been changed .. . if they still can hack them I think that should be changed . .

Legoias
16-12-03, 08:09
[B]3. Explain the LE (no XP/cash penalty) the benifits and negatives of having it in. Make sure it is thier choice to leave in/remove.

Would people stop saying this. KK removed the EXP and cash reduction months ago. Since then I have level 3 (4?) charcters to mid level with their LE's in and there has been no side effects.

VetteroX
16-12-03, 08:21
there are new players but more people are leaving then comming. Do I like it? no. is it a fact? yes

IceStorm
16-12-03, 08:51
is it a fact? yes
Fact would require you to possess/reveal the subscription stats for Neocron. Unless you've been sneaking into MJS's lair in the middle of the night, I'm pretty sure you don't have that information.

You're entitled to your opinion, but the only ones that know the actual subscription stats, and therefore the "facts", are KK.

Q`alooaith
16-12-03, 09:01
Hehehe... Not all the Newb's are realy newb's..... it's great to start over with a fresh char from time to time, though I've gone a step further and rerolled all my char's and used diffrent name's and playing in style's I've not used in a long time, I'm also asking all sort's of question's that I already know the anwser to so I apprear to be more newbish that I realy am, it's much more fun to play a game and forgettting how to play the high end, because everything take's on a new light, like the hight of copbot's Vs player's, they stand over two foot taller than most, and how big the city realy is...

Bye I'm going back to being the newb, and no you can't have my old stuff it's gone..

VetteroX
16-12-03, 09:37
Yeah well I have these things called eyes, and another thing called a brain. My eyes see the server selection screen, and transmit the info to my brain, which says that every week i login theres less and less and less people on. Also Every time I go pking in really out of the way places, like oh... J01, TG, gabonium mine, El Fared, I_10 swamp caves, theres nobody around, and I mean NOBODY.

Possibly the registered users are staying the same, but people actually playing is less and less.

LVirus
16-12-03, 09:41
What amazes me is that in certain game you get "gm"'s and other volunteers to come to you and greet you and sit down with you (did I reveal what game? ;) ) and tell you about game. I spend hour with one of these "greeters" asking all kind of nubie questions and I felt like welcomed.

Now in Neocron .. You get thrown to MC5 with TONS of popup windows and kick in teh arse for "good luck" with enemy faction guards. :D :rolleyes:

Archeus
16-12-03, 10:27
Originally posted by VetteroX
there are new players but more people are leaving then comming. Do I like it? no. is it a fact? yes

How do you know it is a fact?

I counted roughly about 12 noobs helped out over the weekend (actual noobs, not rerollers who are easy enough to spot). Normally that figure would be about 1-2 a day.

VetteroX
16-12-03, 10:32
like i said... theres less and les speople in the game... new people are trickling in but more are either leaving or have gon inactive.

Look I love NC but im not blind to the truth, there ARE less and less ACTIVE people, and unless DoY is great, its game over.

g0rt
16-12-03, 10:35
How do you know it is a fact?

I counted roughly about 12 noobs helped out over the weekend (actual noobs, not rerollers who are easy enough to spot). Normally that figure would be about 1-2 a day.

Ill tell you how its a fact. 2 months ago when i logged off at this time(now) there would never be less then 120 people on Saturn. Now there is usually in the 90's.

Thats about average I would say, about 25-30 clients less then before at lowtime, about 50-80 clients less then before at hightime.

When you log into one server, every day, on your leasure time and play, you realise that striker here is right.

Archeus
16-12-03, 10:41
Depends on the time you log in.

Over the weekend Saturn had over 250 when I logged in and Pluto had around 120. Granted pluto one was low but was up from previous months.

Also server population is not a given total of how many players there actually is, it is normally a percentage (which varies from MMORPG to MMORPG).

For example, an ISP wouldn't have a modem for every customer, they would normally only have 10% or there abouts.

From what I am seeing in game is the people are being replaced by others which is why I said in probably 3-6 months there are going to be major clans containing people we don't know yet.

g0rt
16-12-03, 10:43
Depends on the time you log in.

Over the weekend Saturn had over 250 when I logged in and Pluto had around 120. Granted pluto one was low but was up from previous months.

Also server population is not a given total of how many players there actually is, it is normally a percentage (which varies from MMORPG to MMORPG).

For example, an ISP wouldn't have a modem for every customer, they would normally only have 10% or there abouts.

From what I am seeing in game is the people are being replaced by others which is why I said in probably 3-6 months there are going to be major clans containing people we don't know yet.

I really, really, really hope you're right. I also really really hope that more people come back and more noobs come, picking up the client counts.

And yeah I agree it does depend on when you log out, what im saying is I basically log out at the same time every night. And I find the client counts to be lower when I log out then they used to be a few months ago.

Just an observation.

VetteroX
16-12-03, 10:50
look... nobodys arguing there arent some new players and that new players are a good thing... but there are less then there were... no argument. Example: After taking a summer class and graduating college, I lived at my dads country house and did construction for a guy he knows. I did this from july - nov. During that time, well, mostly july - oct, saturns pop was always at least 400 at peek hours. Always. Then, I had to move, and go back to the city, find an apt, look for a job, get my life togeather. I was out of game for about 20 days. I get back, been back about 15 days. In that time, saturn has not ONCE anytime ive logged in, reached 400. Not once.

IceStorm
16-12-03, 10:59
Because one server's population has declined in your observation does not mean there are less people playing or paying for Neocron. In case you've forgotten, Neocron spans five servers total. Saturn is not the end-all, be-all of Neocron and doesn't define the total population of Neocron.

People move servers and people take breaks. You have no "facts" other than a few observations that may or may not be accurate. Unless that sever population script has been maintaining datapoints since its inception, the only persons that know the true state of subscriptions and server population trends are KK. No one else.

El_MUERkO
16-12-03, 12:48
It is nice to see new players but it is distressing to see a new player running around plaza for a week or two only for them to disappear after that, I cant help but wonder what drove them out.

Darth Slayer
16-12-03, 20:26
VetteroX Dude it's the run up to christmas people funnily enough tend to have better things to do. Like go out and get pissed everynite also a lot of people are doing overtime as well a good friend of mine who plays is doing a 14 hour day atm you tell me when shes got time to play ?