PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling NC, what a joke.

bounty
15-12-03, 02:13
NC was locking up when i would start it, even after multiple reboots, etc, so i am reinstalling it. ANd even after all the patches, it has had to redownload like 50+ files and its still going. This should be addressed.

BiTeMe
15-12-03, 03:06
Yup. They need to sort out the little issues they have with a fresh install of NC that only people who go looking on the forum know how to solve. The patcher should also download the large files from the FTP site and not the game server as it is currrently done iirc.
I imagine this will be looked at for the release of BDOY as it would lead to forum over load with all the "can't download patch # 179 WTF ???"

StryfeX
15-12-03, 04:47
Or you could simply delete the folder and go play something else, which is what some of the people I've talked to have done. Kinda sad really. Every other MMO I've played have patches and such sorted just fine. NC is the only one where you have to go through all this hoopla just to get the damn thing working.

Even when you install the US version of FFXI and go to download all the patches and such, it takes a looooong time (like 3 hours on a 1.5 Mbps cable connection :eek: ), but it all works just fine.

--Stryfe

renton
15-12-03, 09:06
whaty u gotta do is delete patch 151 and 181, then it ill install.

the patch 181 on the ftp.neocron.com was like 170 k ( not to shure if thats exact ) but the one the auto down loader downloads as more like 2.8 megs or something. its fucked up but doing that will make it work.

/marty
\

bounty
15-12-03, 09:10
Originally posted by StryfeX
Or you could simply delete the folder and go play something else, which is what some of the people I've talked to have done. Kinda sad really. Every other MMO I've played have patches and such sorted just fine. NC is the only one where you have to go through all this hoopla just to get the damn thing working.

Even when you install the US version of FFXI and go to download all the patches and such, it takes a looooong time (like 3 hours on a 1.5 Mbps cable connection :eek: ), but it all works just fine.

--Stryfe

true, but this game is actually fun.

Odin
15-12-03, 09:18
Well since I've been woken up at 2am to ban that twit ;)

Afaik the patching process should be getting an overhaul for DoY. I'll have to bug MJS and double check on that though.

numb
15-12-03, 13:05
I've done quite a few reinstalls, I never really have a problem. Yes the patching is not very straight forward, and I agree it does need some improvements.

I just download the bigger .exe files from the retailpatches folder on the ftp, if these extract there shouldnt be corruption in the patches. Then I download all the remaining patches, delete patch 159 and start the launcher, and patch patch patch, update launcher, patch etc etc.

Could there be a problem with your neocron cds or your actual installation if it is downloading a further 50 files after patching?

ElfinLord
15-12-03, 13:09
I reinstalled Neocron a day or two before the new patches.

I downloaded all the patches from the FTP and then copied the Neocron launcher update for the US Retail version into the Neocron directory and everything patched just fine for me.

No patch 160 bug, nothing. Maybe I'm just lucky. :)

As for the FF XI patch process, I have a 768 down DSL connection and it only took me about 2 hours to go through the whole process. I hate that viewer crap you have to go through to get into the game. That is the biggest reason I don't play very often.

Anyway, enough about FF XI, does the US Retail launcher work for everyone?

garyu69
15-12-03, 13:15
Originally posted by numb
I've done quite a few reinstalls, I never really have a problem. I'm with you there.
I have a backup of the patches on a disc at home along with the newer Neolauncher.exe file.

Its a case of install the game. Whack all the backed up patches in the patch folder. If not backed up download the lot of them off ftp.neocron.com

then whack the updated Neolauncher.exe file in there if not it is on the ftp.neocron.com

run it and watch it patch away

simple

El_MUERkO
15-12-03, 13:18
Installing is an overly complicated matter, hopefully with the release of DOY a shiney new problem free install will be created so all future users that come to the game thru retail OR download wont have to muck about with patches.

StryfeX
15-12-03, 16:33
I wasn't too clear before, but I never had a problem patching either. I suppose that was mainly because I always used the patched launcher and never the POS that came with the install.

FF XI is fun, it's just different. And yeah, I wish they would make it a little faster to get into the game. I'm not sure, but you might be able to create some sort of shortcut directly to the FFXI area though. Haven't tried.

If you guys get the patches sorted for the BDoY release, you will have many less frustrated customers, methinks.

--Stryfe

deac
15-12-03, 16:47
last few days i did 2 installs...

1 copy all patches to a folder...
2 download the trail version 1.4 gigs :\
3 install
4 copy patches 179+ to the patch folder
press start
update launcher 2-3 times...
play...

takes less than 1 hour...