PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Which HDD to get?

Sorin
14-12-03, 11:55
Eventually going to get a new hard drive. currently have a 40gb IBM 7200rpm 2mb cache. Had it for well over two years. Time to upgrade. For my purposes, I'm looking for 80GB, 7200rpm and 8MB cache (Might be more than 80GB, basically whatever I can get for less than $100 +/- $10) But I don't know which brand to get. So, yeah. Oh great computer gurus, enlighten me.

Acutally, I'm just too lazy to do the research this time. I research everything I'm looking to upgrade in depth, but this time I'm just too damn lazy. ;)

Edit: god damnit. Meant to post a poll. Oh well, whatever. Just have to manually read through these I guess.

IBM
Maxtor
Seagate
Western Digital
Other

your 2 nc please.

ElfinLord
14-12-03, 12:18
I use a Seagate Barracuda (http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,564,00.html) 80 GB Serial ATA HDD.

I have not had any problems with it. It is pretty quiet and works very well.

If you do go with a HDD like this you will, of course, need to have Serial ATA support on your mobo, or buy a Serial ATA PCI card in order to use it. The data transfer rate is faster than IDE, but you pay for it.

In any case, this is my 2 nc.

Happy shopping! :D

WebShock
14-12-03, 12:27
western digital raptor 30 gig 10,000 rpm HDD.

Fastest IDE drive put to date. If you want something faster its going to cost a lot more and you will have to go scsi.

ElfinLord
14-12-03, 12:44
Originally posted by WebShock

Fastest IDE drive put to date. If you want something faster its going to cost a lot more and you will have to go scsi.
Web, if this (http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/WD360GD.asp) is the one you are talking about, it is actually Serial ATA, not IDE. But it is still a very cool HDD, but I don't think it would really be worth it unless you really needed to spin, read, and write that fast.

Very impressive hard drive, though. Wow!!!! :cool:

WebShock
14-12-03, 13:02
yea thats the one.

Supposedly, the seek times are so insane that it helps squeeze out more fps and less latency. If you like to tweak and squeeze every little bit out of your system, this is the way to go. Combined with a really good cpu, memory and vid card, you should notice a significant preformance boost.

Maximum PC's rig of the year had 2 of these bad boys, one for the operating system and another for games. Granted its crap storage but when you are making a box specifically for games, who needs 300 gigs of storage space?

I was reading some reviews, most say that for a gaming system this is the HD to get. The only HDD that is faster is the very expensive SCSI cheetah server HDD, it can run you into the thousands of dollars, pounds, euro.

It's the only NON SCSI HDD out that can run with the expensive server grade equiptment out there.

Omnituens
14-12-03, 13:33
im using 80Gb WD 7,200rpm with 8 mb cache. its very good, and not that expensive either.

Eddie
14-12-03, 14:51
Originally posted by WebShock

I considered getting that.. but it's shockingly expensive here in the UK.

Get two and do Serial ATA RAID striping on it for even better speed :D

But anyway.. the thing that puts me off from spending £150+ (err.. about 350USD?) on two such drives would be the insane noise they make, as I've read on reviews. I'm aiming to upgrade my computer to be as quiet as possible...

Eddie

spongeb0b
14-12-03, 14:58
SEAGATE!!!!! (nuff said) best value for money and still lots of good performance from these drives

WebShock
14-12-03, 14:59
if you check the western digital website they run for about 189 US

Now it being that the manufacturer always wants more than what a the common store will sell them for, i would estimate the cost between 150-175 US.

Damn those drives are expensive in the UK

whats the $ to pound at? 1 US = 1.50 pound?

thats insane.

/edit
shit i was way off [edited] sells em for $115

/edit2 had to take the url out cuz i was advertising and dont need to be whooped with the ban stick

Eddie
14-12-03, 15:38
You're guess would be about the price they sell them here in the UK (ie I was referring to 350USD for 2 of them drives).

But just over 100 is just taking the piss.

Here are a few prices for the upgrade I'm making:

Abit NF7-S V2.0 - ~£90
Seagate Barracuda SATA 80Gb - ~£65
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ ~£90
TwinMOS 512Mb PC3200 RAM - £55

I've seen the same items on US websites for much, much less. But they all refuse to ship internationally (at least most do) and they don't take credit cards .. only wire transfers or whatnot.

Grr...

We in the UK are paying through are noses. Blantantly.

I would ship from abroad (I know people there..) but I'm not sure about warranty/compatibility etc.

Eddie

WebShock
14-12-03, 16:16
that really sucks eddie

go here

http://www.pricewatch.com

its a US search engine that looks for the cheapest prices around. After some deep searching, you may find some american stores that do international transactions. Most who will take credit cards and some who will ship to you. It will be hard but not impossible. you may have to pay extra for shippiing. Just dont expect to get a monitor or something huge and heavy. There are size limits, the ones that will ship that stuff will charge you an arm and a leg.

Lexxuk
14-12-03, 16:35
pfft, you wanna 40MB HDD, I mean, who would ever fill a 40MB HDD?

WebShock
14-12-03, 16:50
exactly.... thats why i reccomended the 30 gig raptor.

i have a 120 gig HDD that i use to store image backups of 100 games and it still hasnt filled it up.

i'm going with 2 30 gig raptors on my new puter in jan

Eddie
14-12-03, 17:04
Originally posted by Lexxuk
pfft, you wanna 40MB HDD, I mean, who would ever fill a 40MB HDD?

The smallest, cheapest SATA HDD is 80Gb :P

Eddie

LTA
14-12-03, 17:53
Originally posted by Omnituens
im using 80Gb WD 7,200rpm with 8 mb cache. its very good, and not that expensive either.

Agreed.
Thats what i am usin aswell Caviar....!

Eddie
14-12-03, 18:01
Originally posted by LTA
Agreed.
Thats what i am usin aswell Caviar....!

But I hear they make a horrible noise :|

Eddie

LTA
14-12-03, 19:13
Originally posted by Eddie
But I hear they make a horrible noise :|

Eddie

mines nice and quite, dont noticed it much at all

Leebzie
14-12-03, 19:35
Im using a Seagate Barracuda ST3120026A

120gb,7200rpm,8mb Cache

Pretty damn good, cant really fill it and it does the job nicely. Cost only about £70 too :)

DonnyJepp
14-12-03, 19:38
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SpecA/AA22340.html

This is my drive, 120gig SATA, super quiet, and fairly fast. I would recommend it.

naimex
14-12-03, 23:09
No matter what you choose.. get a fluid..

( Starts being a geek and YAKs about why :: Standard harddrives use a "hard-disk" to store and retrieve data from, everytime you move your computer, bash it into something, that little reader in the harddrive that reads and writes the data on it has a risc of hitting THE "disc" and this is what causes bad sectors. a fluid is made in a different way (not sure on how) that lets the reader hit the disc but will just let it bounce softly back up so it doesnt cause any damage and thereby bad sectors to the "hard-disc"... )

got like 7 harddrives... and two of them are fluid 200 gigs.. DAMN their stable and damn fast =P I WUB EM !!

Eddie
14-12-03, 23:21
Originally posted by naimex
No matter what you choose.. get a fluid..

( Starts being a geek and YAKs about why :: Standard harddrives use a "hard-disk" to store and retrieve data from, everytime you move your computer, bash it into something, that little reader in the harddrive that reads and writes the data on it has a risc of hitting THE "disc" and this is what causes bad sectors. a fluid is made in a different way (not sure on how) that lets the reader hit the disc but will just let it bounce softly back up so it doesnt cause any damage and thereby bad sectors to the "hard-disc"... )

got like 7 harddrives... and two of them are fluid 200 gigs.. DAMN their stable and damn fast =P I WUB EM !!

I think you're talking about FDBs? Fluid Dynamic Bearings?

I believe they were implemented to reduce noise, and not reliability?

Eddie

naimex
14-12-03, 23:24
Originally posted by Eddie
I think you're talking about FDBs? Fluid Dynamic Bearings?

I believe they were implemented to reduce noise, and not reliability?

Eddie

Ye those..

^^ I was taught that they enhanced reliability by insane amounts, from a military m8 o mine.. he had a computer-technician education.. so I think he knew what he was talking about...

( EDIT :: they sure as hell ain´t lownoise =P )

Wannabe
15-12-03, 00:59
(opens his fileserver's side)

Let's see..

All these drives are from Maxtor. Currently I'm using:

2x 80 gig drives (DiamondMax 9+ 5400rpm)
1x 120 gig drive (DiamondMax Fluidbear 7200rpm)
and 1x 120 gig drive (DiamondMax 5400rpm)

I intend to replace the 80 gig drives with 120 gig drives
when I move the server to a custom case (will be much quieter then)

// Wannabe

P.S. And oh, my workstation has a crappy 30 gig Seagate :p