PDA

View Full Version : PC - Help !!!!1

Pi-Oh-Pah
13-12-03, 17:54
just upgraded some of my PC including HDD, did a fresh install of all drivers etc from scratch. Was tired so turned PC off and went to bed and was gonna install NC in the morning, however when I turn on now I just get 'Please check signal' on the monitor. Now I thought this was because the AGP graphics has to be in almost perfectly straight, Ive tried 3 different monitors and 2 different Graphics cards but still get the same message :(

HELP !!!!

FireST@R
13-12-03, 18:01
bios setting set to "PCI mode" or "Onboard GFX" ?

Pi-Oh-Pah
13-12-03, 18:06
Nope it was set to AGP when i could access the set up but now I cant view anything cos I got no picture basically.

Ive even reset CMOS to default to no effect still getting Check Signal :(

(Im gonna sit round parents for an hour waiting for a revelation or someone to give me some answers then I'll go home and sulk cos I cant play)

I even got desperate and bought 2 new books yesterday :D

Elric
13-12-03, 18:18
If you can, test the monitor on another computer to make sure its not fucked. If it works then theres a good chance yer GFX card is. If you can, take your graphics card and install in a working PC and see if it works there. If it doesnt, you know what the bad news is. Hopefully if thats the case your warranty or guarantee will cover a replacement.

Pi-Oh-Pah
13-12-03, 20:18
@ Elric - psst its Narsil from Saturn :P

OK Ive tried 3 monitors and 2 different GFX cards, both GFX cards are ones that have worked fine for the last year or more a GF2 420mx and a GF4 420mx

@Fire - I deliberately chose a mobo without onboard sound.

AfterDark
14-12-03, 00:03
Are you pushing the video cards in until you hear two snaps?

I know it sounds stupid, but a lot of motherboards require a lot of pushing to get the AGP card seated properly.

If that doesn't work, then you've got no choice but to grab a working computer and replace each part in your trouble computer with one from the working computer. As soon as it works, you'll know what your problem componant is.

One more thing, is the computer booting up normally, just no video?

Scikar
14-12-03, 00:06
It's possible the AGP slot could be messed up, do you have an old PCI GFX card lying around that you can try?

Moose-Alini
14-12-03, 07:27
Jah, if all the parts work, it sounds like your AGP riser is borked. And since most mobos only have 1 AGP riser, that doesn't bode well.

robinitnow
14-12-03, 09:45
To get an AGP card in properly you need to roll it in to place.

If I remember correctly you start at the end nearest the case and roll it back into place.

If the card is not seated correctly then you will not get the bleeps and you will not get a signal. (The AGP standard port is badly designed)

Other than that I wonder if there is some power problem or the bios is shagged or the MB is shagged.

It is powering up?

Krll
14-12-03, 13:40
Assuming the computer powers on when you press the button, does it make any bleeps? The number and timing of the bleeps can sometimes tell you what's wrong.

-Krll

Elric
14-12-03, 14:00
Originally posted by Pi-Oh-Pah
@ Elric - psst its Narsil from Saturn :P

OK Ive tried 3 monitors and 2 different GFX cards, both GFX cards are ones that have worked fine for the last year or more a GF2 420mx and a GF4 420mx

@Fire - I deliberately chose a mobo without onboard sound.

aaaaah, Hi Bud ;)

anyways... other than what I sugegsted, I cant think of anything else, good luck with it though

spongeb0b
14-12-03, 15:39
sounds like a mobo prob to me...:rolleyes:

Pi-Oh-Pah
15-12-03, 11:13
Originally posted by AfterDark
Are you pushing the video cards in until you hear two snaps?

I know it sounds stupid, but a lot of motherboards require a lot of pushing to get the AGP card seated properly.

If that doesn't work, then you've got no choice but to grab a working computer and replace each part in your trouble computer with one from the working computer. As soon as it works, you'll know what your problem componant is.

One more thing, is the computer booting up normally, just no video?

This is something that has happened before - however the mobo is new and has a retaining clip for the AGP slot (similar to the ones holding RAM in place)

AFAIK its booting up fine - I just get the on screen display showing the 'Check Signal' message

I have put in the following new parts:

AMD Athlon XP2500 Barton 333FSB CPU
MSI N-Force mobo (cant remember which one)
2x256 DDR PC3200 Dual RAM
Maxtor Plus9 80Gb HDD with 8Mb buffer

Remaining parts

4.1 Creative sound
Lite on DVD/CD drive
Floppy
MSI GForce 4 MX420

Tried GFX and HDD in my sons PC - they both work
Cant try CPU or RAM as his board wont support it.

What is most annoying is that this was all working one day then not the next :(

\\Fényx//
15-12-03, 11:19
Originally posted by Pi-Oh-Pah
This is something that has happened before - however the mobo is new and has a retaining clip for the AGP slot (similar to the ones holding RAM in place)

AFAIK its booting up fine - I just get the on screen display showing the 'Check Signal' message

I have put in the following new parts:

AMD Athlon XP2500 Barton 333FSB CPU
MSI N-Force mobo (cant remember which one)
2x256 DDR PC3200 Dual RAM
Maxtor Plus9 80Gb HDD with 8Mb buffer

Remaining parts

4.1 Creative sound
Lite on DVD/CD drive
Floppy
MSI GForce 4 MX420

Tried GFX and HDD in my sons PC - they both work
Cant try CPU or RAM as his board wont support it.

What is most annoying is that this was all working one day then not the next :(

Shit i forgot about your DM, Read it at like 4 AM and thought you wouldnt like me calling that that time so left it :lol:

Still need a hand ? Have you tried resetting the BIOS atall ? Also have you tried a different gfx card in that board, aswell as the intended gfx card in a known working PC ?

kreal
15-12-03, 11:24
Or you could simply switch the cable to the Harddrive... i mean turn it around.... test that dudeski

EDIT: olso switch the ram's around and test with one block and so on

\\Fényx//
15-12-03, 11:26
Originally posted by kreal
Or you could simply switch the cable to the Harddrive... i mean turn it around.... test that dudeski

if thats what hes done wrong im gonna slap him to death :|

That motherboards IDE cable only lets you plug it in 1 way around, he's probably got a MSI MS-6777

Pi-Oh-Pah
15-12-03, 11:41
Originally posted by \\Fényx//
if thats what hes done wrong im gonna slap him to death :|

That motherboards IDE cable only lets you plug it in 1 way around, he's probably got a MSI MS-6777

If it was that (which it isnt) why did it stop working overnight ?

IDE cables only fit in 1 way round cos they have that little cut out so even I cant screw it up :P

Scikar
15-12-03, 12:54
You're definitely not plugging the monitor cable into a slot on the motherboard instead of the GFX card are you?

ElfinLord
15-12-03, 12:58
Originally posted by Scikar
You're definitely not plugging the monitor cable into a slot on the motherboard instead of the GFX card are you?
:lol:

I did that once and after slapping myself in the forehead and yelling, "Doh!" ala Homer Simpson, I laughed my ass off for 15 minutes. :D

Good times!!!!!

Anyway, I would think that maybe something happened to the AGP slot or the monitor cable (broken pin maybe?).

Do you have a PCI vid card to try?

Pi-Oh-Pah
15-12-03, 13:03
Originally posted by Scikar

Nope - mobo only has 1 serial port and its male

Pi-Oh-Pah
15-12-03, 13:04
Originally posted by ElfinLord
:lol:

I did that once and after slapping myself in the forehead and yelling, "Doh!" ala Homer Simpson, I laughed my ass off for 15 minutes. :D

Good times!!!!!

Anyway, I would think that maybe something happened to the AGP slot or the monitor cable (broken pin maybe?).

Do you have a PCI vid card to try?

tried 3 monitors and I get same msg everytime

dont have pci gfx to try

ElfinLord
15-12-03, 13:52
What is the model # of your mobo?

I don't think it's the MS-6777(K7N2GM-L) as Fenyx suggested as that mobo has onboard VGA and from your posts, I don't think yours does.

Pi-Oh-Pah
15-12-03, 14:03
Not sure without going home to look - but it has onboard 5.1 and 3 DDR slots 2 of em are dual - might say K7N on the front (not sure)

edit *takes receipt from wallet*

MSI K7N2 Delta - L Nvidia Athlon Mobo w/lan