PDA

View Full Version : [Release] Rare Parts List English v6.0 - Patch 194

StryfeX
13-12-03, 09:14
Presenting: The Rare Parts List English v6.0 - Patch 194 (http://home.comcast.net/~cydog2001/stuff/rarepartsv60.zip)

The fruits of quite a few long hours of work getting everything 'just so'.

When you run the spreadsheet (for amfest: *with Excel*:p), most of you will get a macro warning asking you whether you want to enable or disable macros. If you either don't get a warning, or you get a message stating that macros are disabled, you should consider changing your macro security to "Medium". (You can do this by clicking on the Tools menu, then going to the Macros submenu and selecting "Security..." Set your security and click the OK button.) Otherwise, simply click "Enable" and the spreadsheet will open.

If you want it, here's my code from the macros. You can view it with any text editor, but it looks better in a VB editor. And no, I don't care what you think about my coding habits. :p (Link (http://home.comcast.net/~cydog2001/stuff/MainModule.bas)) Most of the stuff in there is code that only I use for adding new items.

Features of v6.0:
Hovering the mouse over an item's name brings up information about that item. For instance, on weapons, it will bring up the requirements and any special notes about the weapon. One issue with this, is that if you scroll to the right, the comments can dissappear. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about this at the moment.
By clicking the "TASKS" button at the upper left of the pages, you can perform various tasks:
--- The clear current sheet option will zero all the values in the current sheet.
--- You can print a Tech Parts list and a Rare Drops list with your current data on it.
--- Probably one of the most asked-for features was to be able to make this list into a web page. So here it is. You can now choose to export either list into HTML.

Now, I'm going to warn everyone right now, that due to limited resources I couldn't test this as thoroughly as I would have liked to. This will probably be most evident when it comes to printing.

As usual, if you find any bugs, PLEASE let me know so I can fix them as soon as possible. You can either post them here on the thread, PM me, or email me at cydog2001@comcast.net. I'd prefer you post them here so other people know about it and don't send me the same thing.

This product is in no way associated with nor endorsed by Reakktor. (Yet. :p) All trademarks are property of their respective companies.

*stumbles off to bed*

--Stryfe

amfest
13-12-03, 09:32
errr what do i open the list with? .. the vb editor was for the macros or whatever right ..

errr which way did he go . which way did he go george ...
spreadsheets bah!

StryfeX
13-12-03, 09:37
Originally posted by amfest
errr what do i open the list with? .. the vb editor was for the macros or whatever right ..

errr which way did he go . which way did he go george ...
spreadsheets bah! Microsoft Excel

--Stryfe

Capt. Rik
13-12-03, 13:29
I think i've found a bug...

I have all the parts to a Paw of Tiger so when i enter them the boxes all turn green (correct).

I then sell one of the parts so that i have an incomplete set. The boxes stay green and my Ready box says "2".

Capt. Rik
13-12-03, 13:35
Adding to the built field for Reflex Booster 3 doesn't updater the total field.

Maarten
13-12-03, 14:27
The Paw of Tiger bug you reported works fine with me.

The reflex booster 3 bug I can confirm.

The comments on the Smart Cybereye 1 and 2 are incorrect. They both give T-C now instead of P-C and R-C.

But other then that, nice sheet!

Capt. Rik
13-12-03, 14:53
Originally posted by Maarten
The Paw of Tiger bug you reported works fine with me.

Yep, that's my fault. Ignore that one.

StryfeX
13-12-03, 18:31
Thanks for the bug reports guys.

v6.1 is now ready for consumption! (http://home.comcast.net/~cydog2001/stuff/rarepartsv61.zip) :D

A complete list of bugfixes:
The effects listed for the Smart Cybereye 1 and 2 were incorrect. Thanks to Maarten for spotting this one.
The Reflex Booster 3 total wasn't updating. Thanks to Capt. Rik for spotting that one.
There was a bug in the HTML export of the Rare Drops sheet that would cause you to always have '0' in all cells, no matter the true value. Found that one myself.

As usual, please post comments / bug reports / etc.

--Stryfe

StryfeX
14-12-03, 20:20
Has anyone else found any other bugs I need to fix in v6.1 or should I consider it bug-free now?

--Stryfe

Maarten
14-12-03, 21:59
I will put my current database into your sheet and report if I find any bugs.

I'm done.

Bug found:
- Laserblade Ultima is TL60. TL60 rares don't require a Component part.

Other comments:
- Colors are a mess. It doesn't look good with all those different colors of orange and green. Is it possible to give the users the ability to customize the colors?
- Replace all the 0's with -'s. That way it's much easier to identify a part that you don't have yet. You can also make the boxes with a 0 red, but that would only create a bigger mess I'm afraid.
- When you hover your mouse over the boxes, you get small pop-up's saying Low Tech, Tech and Expensive Tech. Besides that those are quite annoying, they can be confusing. I recommend changing the text to Low Tech Part, Tech Part, Expensive Tech Part.

StryfeX
15-12-03, 03:39
I will put my current database into your sheet and report if I find any bugs.

I'm done.

Bug found:
- Laserblade Ultima is TL60. TL60 rares don't require a Component part.

Other comments:
- Colors are a mess. It doesn't look good with all those different colors of orange and green. Is it possible to give the users the ability to customize the colors?
- Replace all the 0's with -'s. That way it's much easier to identify a part that you don't have yet. You can also make the boxes with a 0 red, but that would only create a bigger mess I'm afraid.
- When you hover your mouse over the boxes, you get small pop-up's saying Low Tech, Tech and Expensive Tech. Besides that those are quite annoying, they can be confusing. I recommend changing the text to Low Tech Part, Tech Part, Expensive Tech Part.

I'm currently working on the sheet and I've killed the bug. I've also removed the tech part comments as they are superceded by the boxes saying "5 x T" and such.

I'm currently trying to get Excel to take "---" instead of 0, but I'm running into some problems, mainly that it doesn't like the values and the min(...) formula I'm using to compute whether a rare can be built or not won't recognize the "---" as a 0 or whatever, so as soon as you put any number other than 0 into a cell, it thinks you have one to be built.

As far as making the colors user-defined, I might be able to do that, but I had hoped to refrain from using more code than I had to. The main reason that the oranges are there is to show the user where to enter their data. The greens simply show when one is ready to be built. I could change it so that only the "Ready" cell changed color, but that's something of a personal preference.

I mean, I could make the sheet the colors of the HTML export (gray and white on alternating rows only), but then it'd be hard determining where to enter the data if you didn't know the sheet already.

Releasing v6.2 with the following changes:
Fixed the spelling of the Ravager on the Tech Parts printout. (Was "Revager") Found by me.
Fixed the Laserblade Ultima Mod saying that it needed at Component. (It doesn't.) Found by Maarten.
Realized that the comments saying what type of Tech each part was weren't needed anymore so I removed them. Suggested by Maarten.
You can get it here (http://home.comcast.net/~cydog2001/stuff/rarepartsv62.zip).

--Stryfe

Maarten
16-12-03, 00:58
Very nice, but now I want to import my database into the new sheet. How do I do that without having to do everything manually again?

How about this for the colors:
- White for cells you can't enter data
- Red for cells that are 0
- Orange (the dark one) for cells that are >0
- Green (the light one) for cells that are a complete rare

StryfeX
16-12-03, 02:17
Very nice, but now I want to import my database into the new sheet. How do I do that without having to do everything manually again?That would most definately have to be with code, but I don't think I'm a good enough coder at the moment to be able to do that. I'll give it a shot though.

I'm thinking of maybe a pipe-delimited plaintext export from the spreadsheet, then an 'import' function, but I *know* that's going to hold untold horrors for me. :p I've never been too good at working with files. Oh well, there's never a time like the present to learn. Besides, it would do me good.

How about this for the colors:
- White for cells you can't enter data
- Red for cells that are 0
- Orange (the dark one) for cells that are >0
- Green (the light one) for cells that are a complete rare The primary reason for implementing the alternating color scheme was that when you look at all that data at once, it can be very easy to lose your place (when just looking at the spreadsheet, not actually entering data). Granted, this would partially be mitigated by having "---" for parts you don't have, but as I mentioned in my previous post, I'm having some trouble getting that working.

One thing that I suppose I could do is make the colors closer together so that there's still a visible difference (to help keep the eye focused), but it's much smaller.

--Stryfe

P.S. - Other people's opinions are welcome as well, so if you have some, please post them. This isn't just an exclusive dialog between myself and Maarten. ;) :p

Maarten
16-12-03, 12:14
Make the colors closer together would be a good start.
And make the cells with a 0 red. That would help a lot.

Maarten
16-12-03, 18:58
Found another bug. The component part cell of the Laserblade-ultima still turns green if you have the rare complete.

StryfeX
17-12-03, 06:19
Found another bug. The component part cell of the Laserblade-ultima still turns green if you have the rare complete. Whoops. Forgot to change that one. I'll put out v6.3 tomorrow. My internet is being complete and utter shite right now.

I'm barely able to connect to this forum. I was downloading at the glorious speed of 99 bytes/sec earlier. This is from a (supposedly) 1.5Mbps up / 256Kbps down cable connection. :mad:

--Stryfe

DonnyJepp
20-12-03, 04:33
Excellent work Stryfe.

gostly
20-12-03, 04:37
friggen a...am i like the only one that doesnt have excel?...isnt their possibly some program to download somewhere that can open these files...:rolleyes:

StryfeX
20-12-03, 20:07
I'm pretty sure there's an Excel viewer, but I'm also pretty sure that said viewer is just that... a viewer.

I haven't done a lot of looking, but there may be some program out there that can act as an Excel substitute (and even read/write Excel spreadsheets), but I have yet to find it.

--Stryfe

RuriHoshino
22-12-03, 18:25
StryfeX, concerning the export/import function, all you need to do is export the value cells to csv and import to the newer version. Ie. Copy range of cells to temp page, export range on temp to filename....new version, import filename to temp page, move range of cells to working pages.

Hmmm....

Function 1 ( copies value cells from parts and drop pages to temp page)

Function 2/3 ( exports/import cells on temp page to a filname)

Function 4 ( moves value cells from temp page to working pages)

If you need some help with it let me know, I'd be glad to help. :)

StryfeX
23-12-03, 05:14
Originally posted by RuriHoshino
StryfeX, concerning the export/import function, all you need to do is export the value cells to csv and import to the newer version. Ie. Copy range of cells to temp page, export range on temp to filename....new version, import filename to temp page, move range of cells to working pages.

Hmmm....

Function 1 ( copies value cells from parts and drop pages to temp page)

Function 2/3 ( exports/import cells on temp page to a filname)

Function 4 ( moves value cells from temp page to working pages)

If you need some help with it let me know, I'd be glad to help. :) Hmm... Most of that should work, but I can see problems with future sheets as KK adds more weapons and other 'rare' goodies and just doing a simple copy/paste type operation. Looks like more coding. Yay! ;)

--Stryfe

P.S. - Sorry for the non-release of v6.3... I've been having (too much ;)) fun running over aliens with my Warthog in Halo. :D :angel: :p I'll be dishing that up in a few minutes.

Ok, v6.3's up. Get it here (http://home.comcast.net/~cydog2001/stuff/rarepartsv63.zip).

Fixed the highlighting of the component of the laserblade Ultima mod on the main Tech Parts entry sheet and the Tech Parts HTML export template page. (Thanks again to Maarten)
Fixed a bug in the parts totalling formula in cell G99 preventing it from showing the correct total of 'Technology Part of ...' parts.
Fixed a bug in the slotted weapons totalling formula in cells Q99 through V99 preventing them from adding the two new heavy weapon rares to the slotted weapon totals.

StryfeX
23-12-03, 07:03
Maarten, I think you'll be happy to know I figured out a way to make the colors be user-configurable. It's on the to-do list right now, but here's a quick and dirty way of going about it.

-- Go to the "Tools" menu >> "Options."
-- Click on the "Color" tab.
-- Go to town editing away.

You can edit all 6 of the colors I use in the spreadsheet that way.

Here's a grid of the colors I use:

A B C D E F G H
1 |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
2 |_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|
3 |_|_|_|X|_|_|_|_|
4 |_|_|_|X|_|_|X|X|
5 |_|_|_|_|_|_|X|X|

-- D3 and D4 are the alternating greens used to highlight something that's ready to be built.
-- G4 and G5 are the two orange hues used to show what's editable.
-- H4 and H5 are gray and white, respectively. These two are used just to break up the sheet some, so your eye has something to grab onto so you don't lose your place. I don't recommend you change white (H5) as that could have some... interesting side-effects on the sheet.

--Stryfe

Maarten
28-12-03, 03:31
Great thanks...

But I found another huge thing you forgot...

The Experimental Reflex-Boosters 1, 2, 3 and 4 aren't listed...

StryfeX
28-12-03, 11:14
Great thanks...

But I found another huge thing you forgot...

The Experimental Reflex-Boosters 1, 2, 3 and 4 aren't listed... Experimental Reflex Booster 1 and 2 don't exist (that I can find) and 3 and 4 are store-bought at the Military Base.

--Stryfe

\\Fényx//
28-12-03, 11:20
Originally posted by StryfeX
Experimental Reflex Booster 1 and 2 don't exist (that I can find) and 3 and 4 are store-bought at the Military Base.

--Stryfe

They still drop in parts, got 2 bloody parts ID'd today :\

Maarten
10-01-04, 15:07
Another bug.

When you have the Cursed Soul complete, the Devourer also turns green.

And could you make a small addition to the "Export to HTML" function? It needs to add a line "Last updated on ..." like on my list:
http://www.eaglered.net/neocron/rares.htm

StryfeX
10-01-04, 19:39
Another bug.

When you have the Cursed Soul complete, the Devourer also turns green.

And could you make a small addition to the "Export to HTML" function? It needs to add a line "Last updated on ..." like on my list:
http://www.eaglered.net/neocron/rares.htm Man...you are like the God of bugfinding. I'll put it in the "to-do" list.

Also, maybe someone can answer this for me: Do Experimental Reflex Booster 1 and 2 actually exist?

Side note at Fenyx: I'm not going to include the Experimental Reflex Booster 3 and 4 in the sheet because they can be storebought.

--Stryfe

Maarten
10-01-04, 20:26
I'm not bughunting... I'm just using the sheet... :)