PDA

View Full Version : Should you be fined for skipping school?

iainy13
12-12-03, 22:34
I got a call this morning saying that if i skip anymore classes they will take legal action and fine me. The weird thing is that i get all my work done. Im not behind in anything and get good marks. Do you think this is fair? I mean my parents payed for my school fee's and such so why should i be able to get a fine for not going to school? This is in Alberta Canada where they want to fine me if i skip again. Post your thought in this plz. Oh and i read the forum rules and it seems it is ok to post somthing like this. If i somehow missed a rule feel free to close this thread.

Matthew.v.smith
12-12-03, 22:36
Exactly how many Days have u missed?
and were they all in 1 big Group
like a whole week or a week over several weeks?

if u get what i mean?

Matty.

Flea
12-12-03, 22:36
Well, before this goes on, how old are you? If you are under 18, and you skip school, it is called Truency, and you can get some hefy fines (at least in the U.S.) but you better ask a fellow Canadian before you get any ideas in your head.

Rade
12-12-03, 22:37
Thats just absurd.

Spectra260
12-12-03, 22:38
i didnt go today...or yesterday...

i dunno what they call it where i live but here in my school district located in the bay area of california, USA, you get SARB...

theres multiple levels of it, level one just consists of them telling you your on it, and having you sign a piece of paper, level 2 they call your parents and have a meeting, level 3 you start getting fined money for not attending, and level 4 you have to do community service. level 5 of juvinille hall (i dunno how to spell it k?:rolleyes: )

im on step 2:(

my friend though is on step 4:lol:

{MD}GeistDamnit
12-12-03, 22:38
a fine? that's just bullshit to make money. But, you should not miss school without a doctor note.

[TgR]KILLER
12-12-03, 22:39
here in holland u already get a fine.. and i read somewere u could go to prison for a day to or something O.o

last year me and a mate skipped all lessons on monday afternoon.. the whole year :p never got problems tho.. we were the best of the class haha

iainy13
12-12-03, 22:39
Ive skipped probably 2 blocks the whole month every second day or so and im 16. And what kind of hefty fine would i be looking at? Also i had no idea it was called Truency. Stupid how you have to be 18.

Sanch0s
12-12-03, 22:40
In uk parents get fined if their children persistently "bunk" school with their consent, i think one mother actually got a prison sentence :eek:
But if its without their id asume they wouldent be able to find anyone, just fuck u in the ass.

Scikar
Well try looking at it from an employer's perspective. Which person would you rather have working for you, one who has good grades and worked hard at school, and will clearly work hard in their new job, or someone who achieved slightly better grades but very often didn't turn up, suggesting they are lazy and will probably not work all that hard, even though they have a lot of ability.

Matthew.v.smith
Wehn i was younger i Despised school (i MEAN despised!)
on 1 occasion the headmaster had to carry me in over his shoulder!!! (i was like 6 at the time) it was Bloody embarrasing.

the main reason i diddent like it was no one was mature
and everyone acted stupid
Especially the teachers they did nothing to make the work fun and also made no effort to see u were doing the work
and at the end of the day they would shout at you for doing nothing and keep u in at break and I just wanted to be at home because of this :(

in this school now (im 15) most things r cool and u dont really have an incentive to stay off.
plus none of the techers are scary anymore ^_^

Matty.:angel:

Rade
Bleah, I had less than 40% attendacy (sp?) when I was 14-18. I
just had better things to do with my life then, it all worked out
very good anyway. If you have talent and integrity you will mark
a path for yourself anyway, and people will bend over backways
to help you if you have the right attitude and wits.

Spectra260
im not sure about the rest of california, but here if your 18 you still cant excuse yourself for being truent...im 18 and i tryed :confused:

Rade
12-12-03, 22:42
Originally posted by Scikar
Well try looking at it from an employer's perspective. Which person would you rather have working for you, one who has good grades and worked hard at school, and will clearly work hard in their new job, or someone who achieved slightly better grades but very often didn't turn up, suggesting they are lazy and will probably not work all that hard, even though they have a lot of ability.

People who hire for jobs or who pick out people for universities
usually have a knack for picking out "winners", your grades is but
a small part of it.

Psycho Killa
Thought if u showed up to class rade you could spell :D

ElfinLord
I have always wondered why the school systems, here in America, will punish a student for skipping school, by suspending him/her.

I mean, if the kid didn't want to be in school in the first place, why do you punish them by giving them what they want? It doesn't make any sense to me.

As for fining you for not going to school, if you attend a private school where you have to pay to be enrolled, I say hell no. The way I see it, if you are keeping up your grades and you don't want to go to school, so be it. I mean, afterall, YOU are paying to be there.

But, if attending public school, why not. Afterall, if you don't want to go to school, get your GED and stop wasting tax payers money.

I don't know how things work in other countries, but this way would work for me here in America.

Originally posted by Flea
Well, before this goes on, how old are you? If you are under 18, and you skip school, it is called Truency, and you can get some hefy fines (at least in the U.S.) but you better ask a fellow Canadian before you get any ideas in your head.
I didn't know that, though it has been 12 years since I was in school.

iainy13
12-12-03, 22:43
Ok Scikar thats a good point. I mainly dont like school becouse its a waste of time. I mean i could learn the stuff in a third of the time. Plus i dont have a single option this semester and have all the things i hate

Science
social
LA
calm (we talk bout our feeligns and how not to go drunk diving. Yes drunk diving) and alternates with gym and info pro wich is horrable to.

now i gotta go 2 school :rolleyes: so i be back in 2 hour sor so....

Spectra260
12-12-03, 22:44
the main reason you get in trouble for being away from school without a legit reason is because the school looses out on money....

they get paid a certain ammount of money per student per day they attend, so they make some rules to make sure that you attend, and if you dont they can punish you, since they are loosing out on money.

Flea
12-12-03, 22:45
I live in Cudahy, Wisconsin, and if you are 18 years old, you can simply call yourself in sick, or really say whatever you want, "I won't be in school because I don't feel like being here today" It doesn't matter if you're an adult, but you have to be excused, even if it is by yourself. :angel:

Spectra260
12-12-03, 22:46
I live in Cudahy, Wisconsin, and if you are 18 years old, you can simply call yourself in sick, or really say whatever you want, "I won't be in school because I don't feel like being here today" It doesn't matter if you're an adult, but you have to be excused, even if it is by yourself. :angel:

lucky you then:(

maybe its because i go to a ghetto continuation school:rolleyes:

Matthew.v.smith
12-12-03, 22:46
Originally posted by Spectra260
lucky you then:(

maybe its because i go to a ghetto continuation school:rolleyes:

A what?

Phlith
12-12-03, 22:49
Haha... I left school today at about 11:30am, before lunch, my teacher asked why I was leaving and I just told her, "I'm going to go play Neocron" doubt she knew what that ment. I walked right out the front door and walked the fuck home to my baby... besides I'm making above a 95 in every one of my classes so I don't see much point in listening to a teacher if all their doing is wasting my time when I could be learning something useful.

Spectra260
12-12-03, 22:55
Originally posted by Matthew.v.smith
A what?

bah i was just about done replying to you then my power went out...gotta start over:mad:

a continuation school is a school for kids who did bad in regular school, wheter they got expelled or just couoldnt earn credits fast enough... its made for working kids so we get out at 12:45 eevryday (start at 8 am) you gotta be atleast 16 to attend..

basically everyone just needs credits, like im a senior and i only got 130 credits, from a regular school i need 230 credits to graduate, but here i only need 200, so i gotta make 60 credits in 3 quarters8|

plus we can earn credits faster than a regular school, like a regular school gets credits at a set time per class, like at the end of every quarter and semister, here you get what you earn. you do packets that range from 1/4th credit to 3 credits. 1/4th credits take lik one day to do...the 3 credits can take a couple weeks. once you finish the packet and its graded and is good you get the credits then, so you can essentially finish a class in half the time it would normally take at a regular school:cool:

edit: @Phlith

thats kinda why i got kicked outta my old school, although i didnt say im going home to play neocron:lol:

its just the "defiance" part

the principal showed me my school record from since i was a freshman, there was like 30 things just for "defiance"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sanch0s
12-12-03, 23:12
I was at school for a total of 2 hours today, ive had exams past week and i only have to go in for exams, all school should be as fun as this week.
The only reason i like school is cos theres girsl there, if i didnt see all them fit girls during the day id seriously fuck up:(

Furion
12-12-03, 23:15
hehe, i can skip school for 2 weeks at a time before the school calls my parents, its not smart tho. and if i skip every other day it wont get any attention, strange.......

L0KI
12-12-03, 23:17
go 2 school, attend registration, cut class. I never had ANY trouble ;)

L0KI
12-12-03, 23:18
Originally posted by Phlith
Haha... I left school today at about 11:30am, before lunch, my teacher asked why I was leaving and I just told her, "I'm going to go play Neocron" doubt she knew what that ment. I walked right out the front door and walked the fuck home to my baby... besides I'm making above a 95 in every one of my classes so I don't see much point in listening to a teacher if all their doing is wasting my time when I could be learning something useful.

ya think Neocron is useful to your adult life?

Think again

SovKhan
12-12-03, 23:20
highschool? i think they should be happy with kids skipping highschool because the teachers and administrators get paid by your parents either way.

Beanie McChimp
12-12-03, 23:21
Yeah that sure is smart skip school and miss out on an education. dont get me wrong i cant stand school im so bored same old lessons everyday but education is there for a reason and the reason is to have a succesful life.

Phlith
12-12-03, 23:22
No, but fucking around on my pc is more "useful to my adult life" as you put it than sitting in a classroom, full of morons who know next to nothing besides what this ignorant woman tries to shove into their heads. Honestly, how smart can someone be when I asked them "Why don't you run these PC's on some form of Linux, rather Win98?" and do you know what the response I got was? "Because linux costs money" If you think I'm going to listen to someone who needs such a severe beating as my teacher, you need to think again. :)

Beanie McChimp
12-12-03, 23:29
good point my mate and me in i.t was questioning copyright and asked her what the RIAA was she said she didn't know and some dickhead said im confused. literally my whole class are either cocks or dont know shit bout real world stuff but to pass the exams I need to know useless stuff so mate just pass yer exams invent some stupid shit then play neocron
lmao "becaus elinux costs money" :lol: :lol: :lol: i.t noob

rob444
12-12-03, 23:58
In sweden you get fines in another way, you get money from a company as a student and they minimize the income for you if you are away from school to much (50% less money). If you have an apartment you will loose money since you cant pay the whole app bill with 50% less money.

L0KI
13-12-03, 00:01
No, but fucking around on my pc is more "useful to my adult life" as you put it than sitting in a classroom, full of morons who know next to nothing besides what this ignorant woman tries to shove into their heads. Honestly, how smart can someone be when I asked them "Why don't you run these PC's on some form of Linux, rather Win98?" and do you know what the response I got was? "Because linux costs money" If you think I'm going to listen to someone who needs such a severe beating as my teacher, you need to think again. :)

I have to admit, i learned nothing useful in school from the age of 13-18. Everything useful/interesting i have learned is self tought.

Hate to dissapoint u guys, but I.T. isnt the centre of gravity

t0rqu3
13-12-03, 00:12
edit

Flyl
13-12-03, 00:15
In England you have to skip some serious time off school before they even ask if you're alright. Then you get them phoning you asking when you're coming back, at worst they'll kick you out of school or get social services involved... No fines or shit like that. Stupid lameass country you live in.

Phlith
13-12-03, 00:19
I know what your saying, its just sad when your Computer Applications teacher says that, pathetic is probably a better word.

Beanie McChimp
13-12-03, 00:21
All the cool stuff I learnt from watching documentarys or asked my parents or researched. The other day we were revising for a biology test (more useless crap) and this guy was testing me and my mate he asked "what is an epiglottis is?" and I was like ffs who gives a fuck yeah in a hostage situation i got a gun to my head the terrorist says "tell me what an epiglottis is or die" yeah thats gunna happen. Oh and my physics teacher said she was disappointed in the class wow im upset.

Beanie McChimp
13-12-03, 00:22
I know what your saying, its just sad when your Computer Applications teacher says that, pathetic is probably a better word.

i get that all the time. You only get praise if you suck up.

Scikar
13-12-03, 00:24
Pointless stuff? OK - A2 Physics. Electromagnetic induction. It's the principle behind generators, alternators, dynamos, magnetos, it's also the principle behind electromagnetic brakes in large vehicles like trucks etc. What do we have to apply it to? The minute voltage (something like 0.5V) you get across a plane's wings as it flies through the Earth's magnetic field. :rolleyes:

Ulle
13-12-03, 00:28
In England there was a case where a parent got sent to jail for 2 weeks or a month for their kids constantly skipping school....Not sure how often it will happen from no on, thats certainly an extreme case though.

Elroy Jetson
13-12-03, 00:43
Smart boy Scikar. ;)

Shit its been to long since i been in grade school to remeber what the attendence policy was. I do remeber getting a peice of wood across my ass if i screwed up at the private school i went to as a kid. I did miss some class time in high school but only if a girl was involved. Don't remeber getting in to much trouble.

"Fatherly speach starts here ----> Either self tought or school tought never stop learning cause once you stop its hard to start again. 'What you don't use you loose'.

Psychoninja
13-12-03, 00:48
If I got fined for skipping I'd be broke as fuck.... I don't skip as much as I did the previous school year, I've limited it completely considering this year is the year that matters the most, to colleges and universities.

iainy13
13-12-03, 00:50
Ya well... i kinda lied about skipping. I actualy skipped about 2/3 of my classes for a month for stupid reasons. Maybe it was becouse my bro wasi n my room tell 12 playing computer and i wasent thinking right in the morning becouse by the afternoon when i was skipping i thought "why did i do that. Im retarded" every day for the entire month. Lucky for me my teachers are giving me a second chance. Thx everyone for replying. I didnt know alot of this stuff. O well. Next semester starts in 2 weeks.

robdekoning
13-12-03, 00:58
Here if u skip 3 out of 7 classes from 1 certain college u arent allowed to make your exam, i have 12 hours college in the week. 8 hours im allowed to skip..hahahahaha..University, Utrecht, Netherlands

MrBane
13-12-03, 01:09
Yes, School can be both a reward and a punishment.
If you are more intelligent than the rate at which the class is being taught, you can drag behind.

However, in these cases, every education system I am aware of, has a tier system, based on levels of capabilities.
Request to progress to a higher class for a higher level of learning.

Otherwise, stay in School.

Your actions can damage your fellow pupils learnings by encouraging them to follow suit, as well as, quite simply, you don't know everything, and you will learn, if you are in Class, regardless what you might think.

Kikyo
13-12-03, 03:01
omg omg omg ... i skipped like crazy till i got caught like 2 weeks ago:eek: ... i was fucking in the middle of this phatty battle when i heard the garage door start opening ... i was like :eek: .. i fucking shut off my power strip and jumped in teh closet(spidersnshitbittingmelol)...then i heard her open the door ... i was fucking so scared :eek: ... she was opening all the doors .. like saying I NOW UR HERE COME OUT! .. she opened the closet door and i was like:eek: ... then yea i was fecking screwd :o...
well im prolly gonna get ungrounded today if i can talk my mom into it :) ...btw im 14 in california ... and i skipped all summer school and im happy they didnt find out :eek: ... but yeh :)
o actually i didnt skip that much onl;y like 14 times:eek:
but my mom was nice bout it cause i was like dunno o_0

- mac-10d :eek: :eek:

VetteroX
13-12-03, 05:08
how the hell do you get away with not going to school? If I ever skipped a day, my dad woulda gotten a call at his office and kicked my ass when he found me... dont your parents make you go? and how can your school not notify your parents? BTW, they fine u because if u are out and get injured or killed when u are suppost to be in school, your parents will sue the hell outta the school... doesnt make sense but thats how things work.

metalangel
13-12-03, 05:29
I didn't skip much in high school, I had a spare every other day so anything I wanted to do could usually wait until the following day (ie: going downtown to buy CDs, etc). This was in Ontario, Canada, and I never heard of any fines or other bullshit like that. Of course, it was also five years ago... and lots of people skipped more than me and never had a problem.

Wannabe
13-12-03, 05:35
Oh well, the only education I have is from 1st class to 9th class (I hate my "late night" english as I tend not to remember words :) ) and I don't have much other education but at the moment I'm a Project Manager in a software firm so who needs school when you can self-study :p

And btw, I got 3 diplomas in computer study when I was in school.

// Wannabe

Shujin
13-12-03, 05:40
ummm dude many many people i knew in high school who were 15-17 ( under 18 )
all skipped school about twice a month...
i personally did it once a week, still graduated on time w/ good grades and everything.

i never got in shit for skipping no one in my school did.
they threaten us with holding us back a grade but never do. and if they do they throw u back up because ur credits.

like i said personally missed basicly at least once a week well i had about 36 total days out my senior year ;P

my friend when i was a freshmen was out 50+ days but he dropped out ;P

my school knew we skipped. there was a school calendar we had that even had "skip days" on it ;P where we'd all skip and goto the beach or somethin

and seniors had senior skip days where they'd take all the days off with anythin to do with the year they graduated. like i graduated 2003, so we took off the 3rd of every month, we took took off the 20'th off every sometimes.
and 2003 added together is 5 so we took the 5th off alot ;P

TheEnemy
13-12-03, 05:42
Doesn't anyone understand the concept of personal responsibility? If you don't go to school and you pass, fine, if you fail because of it, it is your problem. That's how it should be. Unfortunately, some carebear authorities think they know whats best for you.

nonamebrandeggs
13-12-03, 05:49
Get your parents to call in sick for you, problem solved :D.

Shujin
13-12-03, 06:01
Originally posted by nonamebrandeggs
Get your parents to call in sick for you, problem solved :D. forge note, problem solved

Futureman
13-12-03, 06:09
Go to school dude. If you go to college, you'll realize that you'll have to go to classes that you dont' like either. I have had several classes that I hated at the beginning, but in the end I was glad that I took them because it gave me a little new knowledge about something I didn't know before. Sometimes you have to be forced to learning something before you can actually enjoy it. I mean really, I took East Asian Studies. That sounds really fucking boring, but once you give it a chance then it can be interesting. In the end you are glad you took it.

Torteth
13-12-03, 10:05
I used to skip last period every other monday and every other thursday (our school worked on a 2 week cycle, monday and thursday of opposite weeks) and no one ever said anything. Basically I was getting decent marks and those lessons were a waste of time and instead of going to school, I went to work and made some money.
I'm now working full time in what is a very promising job - the same job I skipped class to go to...

Skipping just to be a rebel is pretty stupid though...

VetteroX
13-12-03, 10:55
I still dont get how you get away with skipping... if I had skipped in HS, my dad would have gotten a call by 10 am at his office, and when he found me, he would have kicked my ass.... This was a small high school, maybe they dont notice in big ones, but they did in mine.

Richard Blade
13-12-03, 15:19
Yeah, Vett sorta mentions it, and someone else did too. The problem is that your parent think you are in school, and the school might think you are at home and nobody bothered to call.
Good schools will call your parents, some inner city schools have truent officers to try to track down students or their parents to make sure things are kosher.
But, if you got hit by a car 5 - 40 miles from where you are supposed to be, you could find yourself in a hospital in another county / township / municipal area (whatever you call them where ever you are) or, God forbid, some perv kipes you and dumps your body 100 miles away. Nobody will know about it until the end of the day. By then, the damage is done.

eeww. Sorry to be morbid.
Lots of lesser reasons too. Like, <officer O'maly> You cannae be thieven froom thae stoore if you're noot in thae stoore.</officer O'maly>

Lecko
13-12-03, 15:38
Some people here are gonna get a big shock when they start work. You thought school was bad and ate up all your time? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

School's a breeze compared to working. Noone gets your ass up and makes sure you're in, noone to look out for ya. If you don't do well, the first thing you get is fired, not a shitty little fine. So no more cash and then you have to go out and eat badgers for food and stuff and rifle through bins for crap.

Work sucks dudes. :(

But then the cash does help to cheer me up I s'ppose. :D

.hack//sign
13-12-03, 15:43
lol,at my school we work at our own pace,im in 9th grade,doing 10th grade work,so i can finish a year early:p :p :p

Mighty Max
13-12-03, 16:00
For the question: YES.

Education is no right, its a duty.

Education is the major key to archieve goals of mankind. (not only national/religious ...). It is not only you that profit from this. If you have the ability to visit school you HAVE TO DO IT. There are too much pps who cant.

My opinion.
MightyMax

ReefSmoker
13-12-03, 16:11
Yes, in answer to the original question fines should indeed be imposed on those who skip school. If not fines, then some other suitable punishment that makes kids think twice about skipping classes !

I read this thread when there were only 3 pages, and for the most part I just kept my trap shut. Now I think about it, I really do believe that if you're skipping school for any reason other than illness then you should be punished appropriately.

Despite hating certain aspects of school, I did not skip classes or take days off. I realised how important education was to me, and sure, I had people telling me I was doing well in my grades, but that was hardly an excuse to take time off... 'oh I'm doing good so I don't need to go to school, I can afford to fall behind a bit'. It's not the attitude required if you want to do well in life.

Sorry if my thoughts go against what many of you who are still at school feel, once you're out in the real world and fending for yourself, you'll appreciate what I'm saying :) In the meanwhile I can understand that school life is grim and is not enjoyable (well... depends who's in your classes :p ), but stick with it, you'll thank yourself for it later on in life ;)

Take care,

Reefie

iainy13
14-12-03, 06:12
I can skip school and not get caught becouse they phone home and i just didnt answer the phone and deleted the message.

@ lecko i think work and school are completely diffrent. For one thing you are slightly motivated to go to work becouse you are getting payed to be there. Second you pick your own job realy so chances are you enjoy it to a point.

@ Kikyo AHAHA thats so funny becouse this is how i was cought skipping for the first time
i hear my moms car coming but think no it cant be. THen the garage starts to open and to my horror the front door opened. And then i was going to hide in my closet to but decided nah that would be retarded so i showed myself :(

Im off to another time splitters lan party now :D

shrubbery
14-12-03, 08:32
Fined for not going to school? In all honesty that is complete bullshit.. And apparently in other countries too, =/ The worst I would think they could do is give you a detention or suspend you? But that gives you more days off.. I dunno, some school systems are pretty mucked up.

Dribble Joy
14-12-03, 09:07
Man, I can't believe you people don't get busted.

At my school there was a register at the beginning of each class, the start of scholl and after lunch. That's up to 8 a day.
If you skip one your tutor will know by the next day and ask you to provide a sick note or a decent explanation.
Skip a whole day and if you don't have a good reason and your parents are notified.
I never truanted, I fucking hated some aspects of school, but some of it was fun.
I tdoesn't matter if you think your teacher knows jack all (nor does it matter if they don't, prove them you know more)
It doesn't matter if it is mind numbingly boring.
Apathy to school will get you nowhere, even if you think you aren't learning anything, trust me you are.
Learning to live with boredom, knowing how to overcome it, learning how to live with idiots and those cleverer than you, learning patience, you might be sitting there and suddenly you might hear something that may change your life, missing that one brief couples of minutes could be disatrous.

Your attendance record will be availiable to prospective empolyers, they will not want to employ a lazy arsehole.

When and if you get a job you WILL have to go to boring, tedious meeting with loads of idiots, you WILL have to work with your coworkers who are boring and dumb or infuriatingly clever. You WILL have to stick to dead lines, no 'Ok, hand it in at the end of lunch' you miss it, you are fired, there are people out there who want your job and are willling to work for it, and your employer will want them, not you.

I was lucky to go to one of the best grammar schools in the UK, my teachers were fun and good at thier jobs.
Yeah, some were dicks, but I went anyway.
The mind grows at it's highest rate while in your school years and the learning curve is fast, don't waste it.