PDA

View Full Version : yay Solaris > Linux

Lexxuk
11-12-03, 17:15
heh, sun Pwnz..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/61/34450.html

they are makin the x86 Sun Solaris binaries freeeeeeeeee again, rawr, well, free to download if you wanna download 3 CD's worth of Unix powah

Legoias
11-12-03, 17:22
Why is Sun Solaris > Linux?
Ir not in the know.

Lexxuk
11-12-03, 17:26
Well....

Unix 1:1 In the beginning SUN created the Unix and the Like.
2 The Unix was without form, and void; and MS Windows was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of Torvalis was hovering over the face of the waters.
3 Then SUN said, "Let there be Unix"; and there was Unix.
4 And SUN saw the Unix, that it was good; and Tovalis divided the Unix from the Linux.
5 SUN called the Unix Solaris, and the Linux He called lots of bad names :p. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

Legoias
11-12-03, 17:32
Originally posted by Lexxuk
Well....

Unix 1:1 In the beginning SUN created the Unix and the Like.
2 The Unix was without form, and void; and MS Windows was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of Torvalis was hovering over the face of the waters.
3 Then SUN said, "Let there be Unix"; and there was Unix.
4 And SUN saw the Unix, that it was good; and Tovalis divided the Unix from the Linux.
5 SUN called the Unix Solaris, and the Linux He called lots of bad names :p. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

Ta for the um... interesting run down :D

I've never seen Solaris on a non-sun platform before.

AceGECO
11-12-03, 17:44
Sorry but this is sooooo not true.

A more truthful rundown of Unix history can be found here (http://www.computerhope.com/history/unix.htm).

kurai
11-12-03, 17:46
Originally posted by Legoias
Ta for the um... interesting run down :D

I've never seen Solaris on a non-sun platform before. lol

Ignore that history - it's total bollocks (but amusing as usual, from Lexxypoos ;))

Probably the biggest advantages of Solaris (and this is also true of most of the commercial Unixes) over a given Linux distro are scalability and consistency.

Linux has got better in both regards over the years, but still has some way to go.

I've always found x86 Solaris something of a pain - mostly because of it's (comparitively) poor PC type hardware support, and it very definitely has a performance disadvantage on typical low end Intel (and I presume now AMD) kit.

Lexxuk
11-12-03, 17:59
Originally posted by kurai
lol

Ignore that history - it's total bollocks (but amusing as usual, from Lexxypoos ;))

maybe i should write a book.. "this history of the world, as told by Lexxuk".

In the beginning, there were vegitarians, but they were boring, so GOD created dinosaurs, and he ate them, and GOD saw this, and it was good :lol: :angel:

ino
11-12-03, 19:55
Jay.. now I can try out solaris 9 on a faster comp than my ultra 1 :). I got an ooold solaris 2.6 for x86 that I've run for some time but the hardware it supports is pretty bad. and my old 3com network card is so broken now.

But I dont think solaris owns linux, solaris has it's uses and all that, and I heavent been playing alot with it cause I didnt like solaris 9 that much.. But it's a great thing to play arround with if you run into a bigass sun server running solaris in your work :).

Linux still has stuff solaris dont have, and sure u can get most gnu stuff to run on solaris aswell with some effort. But for a standard server/desktop machine I'd still go with my lfs distro anytime.

Lexxuk
11-12-03, 21:51
i tried an lfs distro not long ago, compiled my statics, then the binaries went tits up, so bad, it wasnt even funny, wasted 3 or 4 days on that hehehe