PDA

View Full Version : [OT] - PC mainanence Cowboy - Part 2

garyu69
11-12-03, 12:13
Part 1 (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84245)

Just found out what this person reckons that he has done. Tell me what you think:

Problems:
-16 Virus in total
-Norton Antivirus Not updating automatically
-Had none of the Critical Windows Updates
-Windows XP Home Edition corrupted due to Virus
-BT Open World and Email not configured correctly
-Modem Device was not setup correctly (BT helpline I assume messed this up!)
-Lost GCSE course work and personal documents

Fixes:
-Installed Windows XP Professional (Instead of Home, this is more stable!)
-Installed Office 2003, did not have office before hand (This is the newest version, came out in Oct 2003!)
-Installed Norton Antivirus and setup to update automatically
-Installed the up to date Definitions for Norton Antivirus
-Reinstalled all the software that was originally on the PC
-Recovered the GCSE course work and personal documents
-Setup Email, BT open world, also installed BT click free as a backup
-In total I spent around 10 hours on this, bigger job than expected on both half's.

I think this is all of it?

Now in my opinion i think this could all be done withing 3 hours with A good Broadband connection that would do all the updates fast.

Anyone else agree?

kurai
11-12-03, 12:22
Well - 3 to 5 hours - recovery rather than total reformat and start again can be tricky and time consuming.

Also - am I reading this incorrectly or has he really just installed an unlicensed version of XP in replacement of a legitimate Home one, and a hookey copy of Office 2K3 ?

jernau
11-12-03, 12:30
It's certainly a bit more than 3 hours but a lot of it is unattended so it's pretty light work.

As Kurai says - sounds like he's put warez on there for her. Best to check, just so she knows.

/edit - If the PC is worth saving and she is happy with it now then I would say £75 is not a rip-off price for that work if a shop had done it but it's pretty shocking for a work-mate to charge that much.

Tell her to ask for a VAT reciept.;)