PDA

View Full Version : Whats your Broadband ISP?

DigestiveBiscui
10-12-03, 16:43
Just wondering what peoples BB ISP is

im installing BT Yahoo Broadband tonight, but i have just read that it comes with firewalls, its own browser etc, which to me sounds like AOL - the big bunch of twats

so, what ISP do you use? and if anyone else uses Yahoo please tell me if its good :p

thanks

DB

wolfus1
10-12-03, 16:45
telewest bordband blue yonder but i think there crap as well so o_O

Dardalion
10-12-03, 16:46
Virgin.net - crap support and crap billing deptartment - gonna dump em after Christmas

ezza
im with blueyonder, pretty good only had one problem when some idiot cut the cable to my area stopping me playing for a whole day:mad:

DigestiveBiscui
well i havent used Yahoo yet, so i cant say its crap :P

[TgR]KILLER
10-12-03, 16:51
Planet Internet planet (http://www.planet.nl)

don't blaim me for being dutch :p tho the speed gets higher every half year or something lol..

started with

512/64

then

768/128

now

1024/320 ( since start of nov )

early jan gonna get

2048/320

:D

DigestiveBiscui
10-12-03, 16:52
Link (http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info.jsp?targetSection=products_for_home&obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1322&obsPage=/broadband/index.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=59127) here if anyone has time to look at it for me. Just hit the 'find out more' button under the BT Yahoo bit

im just worried it might be like fuckng AOHell

MkVenner
10-12-03, 16:55
NTL Broadband...ive had no problems and there MUCH better than AOL which i had b4 i dunno the actual speed tho lol not precisly

t0tt3
10-12-03, 16:57
:lol: [TgR]KILLER If I am right didnt you have 56k dial connection before :D

Me only got 512/128 Kbit/s

"dammit need to get a collegeflat so I can have at least 10 Mbit =/"

[TgR]KILLER
10-12-03, 16:59
Originally posted by t0tt3
:lol: [TgR]KILLER If I am right didnt you have 56k dial connection before :D

Me only got 512/128 Kbit/s

"dammit need to get a collegeflat so I can have at least 10 Mbit =/"

i had 56K for erm 2 weeks or so when we had a new comp and internet with it.. but never played ANY game on that.. and neocron was still in far beta if it was already :p

and after 2 days on 56K my mom said "i know were this is going to bills of Huge heights a month we'r taking adsl" so be it :p so i never realy had to game on 56K as we kinda started with adsl..

DigestiveBiscui
10-12-03, 17:00
gonna ring bt up me thinks and see if its optional or if u HAVE to have it

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 17:04
Zen Internet - they've never let me down and have an excellent service overall. I recently upgraded to 2mbit SDSL for only a tiny bit extra compared to the 512k ADSL that is standard :)

Take care,

Reefie

EDIT : I used to be with BT openworld, but after being forced to pay for the remaining 6 months of a contract with them when I moved house, I looked for an ISP with smaller contract periods. Zen allow customers to cancel after a month if they so choose - that's the minimum contract period with them. BT Openworld still stick to their 12 month contracts afaik, if I'm wrong point me in the direction of where they allow customers to have shorter contract periods now please :)

Dribble Joy
10-12-03, 17:05
Blue yonder here, might see if we can get an upgrade to a 2mb line, 1 mb between 5 people is a bit tight.

-Demon-
10-12-03, 17:22
Blueyonder. Damn good ISP as far as I'm concerned.
One of my parents cut through the cable line in the garden, cutting off one phone line, Cable Tv and the net they replaced it the next day...bank holiday monday too!

DigestiveBiscui
10-12-03, 17:24
mmmmmm....i just dont like the idea of a seperate browser - the only other ISP to do that was AOL :(

Candaman
10-12-03, 17:25
Telewest Blueyonder and apart from me not paying the bill no probs and tech support pretty quick aswell i love my 2mb line but can't wait for the 4mb which is on its way

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 17:31
Originally posted by -Demon-
Blueyonder. Damn good ISP as far as I'm concerned.
One of my parents cut through the cable line in the garden, cutting off one phone line, Cable Tv and the net they replaced it the next day...bank holiday monday too!

My idea of good service from an ISP would have involved replacing the parents too :p

Oh and Candaman, what advantage is a 4mbit line going to have over 2mbit ? I've got 2mbit SDSL so the bandwidth is shared for both up and downstream as required, and it's almost impossible to saturate it due to the fact that there are very few connections I make where the system at the other end is able to deliver equivalent data transfer back to me...

Sure you can download more at once, but the only feasible scenario for that is if you're downloading illegal stuff and lots of it. Pay per view movies on the internet didn't even come close to saturating a 512k adsl line back when I had that, so I doubt you're using it to watch a movie online !

Take care,

(a curious) Reefie

Dribble Joy
10-12-03, 17:38
Atm there is little pint in going from a 1 mb to a 2mb line, the upload speed is the same, and as reefie said, the only need for the insane speed is for dling less than legal files. Little difference in ping and there aren't any websites that will benifit from the upgrade. And for £15 extra a month it really isn't worth it... yet.

tomparadox
10-12-03, 17:52
atm im on aol. (IT SUCKS DUN GET IT!!!), but meh dad is switching to earthlink highspeed soon. (yay, now all i half to do is click the NC icon non of this sing on bull shit)

Kaden
10-12-03, 17:54
Blueyonder 512k here. NEVER had any probs with it at all

tomparadox
10-12-03, 17:56
i dunno what kind of k it is but he gets 40 mb/s download speed when downloading stuff.

DigestiveBiscui
10-12-03, 17:59
thats...ok i guess

BT is usually 50-65

just the spyware lagging you down :P

Stigmata
10-12-03, 18:01
I use NTL broadband very reliable and very fast to correct any problems.

im installing BT Yahoo Broadband tonight, but i have just read that it comes with firewalls, its own browser etc, which to me sounds like AOL - the big bunch of gay twats

homophobic insults are insta ban as i have experienced, better edit that before Nid see's it

LTA
10-12-03, 18:02
ntl 600k

rox tbh :p

DigestiveBiscui
10-12-03, 18:04
edited :p

[TgR]KILLER
10-12-03, 18:06
atm i get about 100kbs downloads.. should be pretty nice downloading with 2048 in jan.. ( 2 mbit ) and downloading off a 100mbit server :p

L0KI
10-12-03, 18:12
Cable (NTL, Telewest, BlueYonder) is great, IF YOU CANT GET IT IN YOU AREA :p

If not, the cheapest, most reliable and best customer service is plusnet

www.plus.net

I am on Freeserve atm, but thats simply cos i worked for them for 2 years, and got a nice discount :D

numb
10-12-03, 18:18
Blueyonder 1mb

I've never really had a problem with it. I cant really justify spending extra money for 2mb as I rarely download anything these days.. lost interest in accumulating crap a few years ago after I realised I never really used any of it.

1mb is great for those times where you're forced to download patches etc or game trailers ;)

OpTi
10-12-03, 18:28
blueyonder all the way :D

512/128 atm :(

i want my 1meg back

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 18:34
I'll say this just so folk know the deal - if you run a business from home (like I do) then a 2mbit line can become invaluable when dealing with clients and shifting large amounts of data to and from their systems (well, providing you're running an IT business of course :) ), but as Numb rightly points out, 1mbit is more than enough for the majority of users :)

I've received an email from an NC buddy who's seen this post, and he told me about all the episodes of TV series he's been downloading and how it's so cool having broadband for that reason - I reminded him that I gave him 150 CDs with stuff I'd downloaded because I was never going to need it again after seeing it the first time ;) Nowadays I just stick with buying DVDs, almost finished my Farscape DVD collection, and have the Babylon 5 box sets building up quite nicely :) Also have many shelves full of movies on DVD now, it was great - sold off all my old VHS movies at a car boot sale, and went out and bought a stupid amount of movies on DVD from Woolworths the next day - shocked the young guy behind the counter when I approached with a trolley full of the things :D

Ok so I started getting a bit concerned about the amount of shows / films I'd been downloading. TBH I'm glad I changed my tune and started buying stuff because of all the recent MPAA letters I've heard of people receiving (never had to worry about RIAA because I've always bought music, it's dirt cheap for singles, and albums cost only a wee bit more).

Sorry to go off-topic, I'm just highlighting something that you should all consider, you never know when the law might catch up with you. If you're under the age of 16 and living with your folks then you better think long and hard about how you'll feel if your parents get locked up for something you downloaded...

Take care,

Reefie

Psyco Groupie
10-12-03, 18:38
nildram 1024/256 adsl ... never had a single problem :angel:

-Demon-
10-12-03, 18:54
Yeah true about what Reefie has already said...never need really more than the 1mb line...BY 2mb is like 50 ish quid not worth it imo as the upload stream (I think) is the same and doesn't actually go up o_O

I can d/l stuff that I want with the line I have now.

My idea of good service from an ISP would have involved replacing the parents too

Hehe Yeah...I don't think the Terms and Conditions covered that though.
I'm in my own house now still in BY area(One of my conditions for house) though and still good service

MayhemMike
10-12-03, 18:57
cox communications cable :O
Bell south ADSL 256 down forget what it is up :O

on cable when i play NC, bout 175 ping to 190 most of the time.:rolleyes: ;)

zii
10-12-03, 19:19
Telephonica.

L0KI
10-12-03, 19:23
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
nildram 1024/256 adsl ... never had a single problem :angel:

Nildram is up there with the best.

Infact, i'd say that Nildram is the best DSL connection you can get.

@ the thread started, do you live in a cable area? if so, go cable.

Birkoff
10-12-03, 19:24
Blueyonder/telewest/1024

2048... soon....

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 19:26
Originally posted by L0KI
@ the thread started, do you live in a cable area? if so, go cable.

Got to say that I don't rate cable above DSL, while home ADSL connections have a 50:1 contention ratio, it's hardly ever noticed. However with cable the contention ratio and its effects can be noticed a lot more often. Add in the rather limiting upstream and you've got both reasons I'm not keen on cable.

It's a preference thing, sure, and if your cable TV provider offers a special package for channels / phone / internet then the cost can make it a very viable option, but because of the two reasons I stated I stick with SDSL (now it's available) over cable :)

Take care,

Reefie

numb
10-12-03, 19:37
Originally posted by ReefSmoker
Got to say that I don't rate cable above DSL, while home ADSL connections have a 50:1 contention ratio, it's hardly ever noticed. However with cable the contention ratio and its effects can be noticed a lot more often. Add in the rather limiting upstream and you've got both reasons I'm not keen on cable.

It is still a matter of preference I guess but with Telewest at 2 different addresses over a prolonged period of time my transfer rate has never dropped below the peak (~120k/sec) when downloading off most of the major sites. Maybe though I have just been lucky with cable modem uptake in the areas I have lived in.

One thing that has put me off ADSL is various people I know who have had it have had downtime.. quite a lot in some cases (say 2 days) - ie friends from other mmorpgs complaining they are on dialup today.

L0KI
10-12-03, 19:39
@ threadstarter

This should give u all the help u need
www.adslguide.org.uk

Omnituens
10-12-03, 20:09
NTL BB 150K

get good speeds, unfortunatly it likes to time out at very very very very critical times :(

Sanch0s
10-12-03, 20:23
Im with bulldog communications.
I get 512k from 8 in morning to 6 at night
So from 6 night till 8 morning i got 2 mb like now!!!!!!

I hardly notice the diff between the 2 speeds apart from downloading where at 2mb i dl 3.5-4 times faster
www.bulldogdsl.com

g0rt
10-12-03, 20:30
ACI Communications Cable
I-Stop DSL

Internet connections are just like music...the mainstream ones are shit. Shit service, shit speeds, shit download limits.

The little companies are where its at. Lets look at a comparison in my area:

Bell - 39.99$/month - 1mbit - 20gig/month

I-Stop - 34.99$/month - 3mbit - 240gig/month

Bell is the big "popular" company that everyone uses for DSL here. What a waste of money. And when you call thier support line, you get some idiot who can barely speak english and only knows how to read answers off a monitor...has no common sense at all.

Im telling you all now...the best ISPs are the ones most of you don't know exist.

lullysing
10-12-03, 20:37
i'm gonna be pissing off a lot of people with this.

I am using a 3M ADSL with fixed IP line at home. The connectio0n is provided by my workplace, Citenet Telecom ( canada, qc and on)

Dslreports says it's currently 2567KB down/ 657KB up.

The fixed IP so i can run servers and have no limitations on ports and have a real DNS address so people can go to my servers using a real top level domain ( aka, none of that dyndns crap).

Too bad my gaming computer is fucked, but that's going to be fixed soon. Or i could just go to the cybercafe...mmmm....

Opar
10-12-03, 22:07
NTL Broadband.

DigestiveBiscui
10-12-03, 22:42
wooooo

yahoo bb now, running like a lovely person on wheels

Kimiko
10-12-03, 23:01
NTL BB, 600k for £25 a month. Works for me :)

Omnituens
11-12-03, 00:59
Originally posted by DigestiveBiscui
running like a lovely person on wheels
i think a person on wheels would roll, not run, no matter how lovely they are.

Psyco Groupie
11-12-03, 01:06
i'd love more upload .. mainly because i have 3-5 computers on my connection (more when friends are over) and also im gonna be hosting my own webspace after christmas to play with php for uni ... anywho .. dsl is great - also the speed doesnt change like reef said ;P

Shakey -=Tank=-
11-12-03, 01:32
I'm on NTL 600k broadband but downloads are more like 700k + prob cus im close to a NTL center

kbmg
11-12-03, 06:50
Earthlink it is the least invasive ive seen. and has the best tech support. my Dad got yahoo there tech support leave somthing to be desired

Psychoninja
11-12-03, 06:50
SBC

petek480
11-12-03, 06:52
I got comcast and they suck.

Psychoninja
11-12-03, 06:53
Originally posted by petek480
I got comcast and they suck.

Thats why I haven't switched :p
Don't fix it if it isn't broken, aslong as I can play games online, I won't complain about my gimp download speed.

nonamebrandeggs
11-12-03, 07:03
Rogers High-Speed, provided to me by the lovely chaps at IBM.

DigestiveBiscui
11-12-03, 13:21
well im loving it :P

80mb in 20minutes - i have a shit, and another wrestling match is there for me to watch

ino
11-12-03, 13:31
Bredbandsbolaget 10mbit Sweden.

LVirus
11-12-03, 13:37
Saunalahti :D 2MB ADSL (Costs only 97€ per month!)

Flyl
11-12-03, 14:09
2048/256 Pipex ADSL

Maester Seymour
11-12-03, 14:15
I got BT Broadband, had it for a while now. Haven't had any probs with it so far :)

MindScream
11-12-03, 18:19
Originally posted by Sanch0s
Im with bulldog communications.
I get 512k from 8 in morning to 6 at night
So from 6 night till 8 morning i got 2 mb like now!!!!!!

I hardly notice the diff between the 2 speeds apart from downloading where at 2mb i dl 3.5-4 times faster
www.bulldogdsl.com

shhhh! dont tell em about it :p

i got the summer madness package from bulldog which i presume you did too:

[2048(while at home) 512(while at work)/256] for 30 quid a month ^^

tbh more ISPs should do peak/off peak plans like this one for the majority of ppl that work during peak hours.