PDA

View Full Version : Philip K. Dick

Dade Murphey
10-12-03, 16:00
Just wondering which of his books I should read next...I'm just wrapping up "Do androids dreal of electric sheep?", after which I am going to finish up "Dragonlance: Chronicles"...That's the only Philip K. Dick book I've read so far...I've been recommended "The Three Stigmatas of Palmer Eldrich"...if anyone can recommend a good one, I'll look into it..."Do androids dream of electric sheep?" kinda good me hooked and I wanna keep reading his stuff...

If anyone's read them I was also thinking of reading "Neuromancer" or "Snowcrash", if anyone can tell me what they thought of them that'd be good.

Rieper
10-12-03, 16:09
i didnt like neuromancer so much... and the best Sci-Fi author i ever read was definitely Robert Heinlein :) as for Phillip K Dick, i forget the exact title, but something like "The Golden man and other short stories" is good. Starship troopers too.

take a look at Harry Harrison and Larry Niven too.

Gydjia
10-12-03, 16:20
'A scanner darkly' is his best book IMO, closely followed by 'Flow my tears, the policeman said'

greploco
10-12-03, 16:21
both of those are top notch

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 16:29
I'll ask my girlfriend when she gets home tonight - she's read a lot more of his work than I have :)

Lol, reminds me of my beta 3 gentank who was called 'PK Dick', named after the author since I figured the game's setting was a good reason to pay tribute to the author - a lot of people misinterpretted the name - illiterates :p

Take care,

Reefie

Gotterdammerung
10-12-03, 18:09
P.K. Dick was much more prolific at short story writing then novels. Citadel press has a nice bunch of books out there that contain collections of his works and you'll get more for your money that way. Some good reads are "I can remember it for you wholesale" (the one thay made into the Total Recall movie), Second Variety, Minority Report, Paycheck, Solar Lottery, The World Jones Made and for a little bit on the freaky side try the Valis stuff (but only after you've read most of his "normal" works) Dick was famously paranoiac & reclusive and this real-life theme carries over into much of his work.

Shakey -=Tank=-
11-12-03, 02:18
Do androids dream of electric sheep is a cool book I need to read a few more of his books too

Dade Murphey
11-12-03, 08:13
Hey thanks for all the suggestions guys...I'll look into them...I got a list of all his stuff I can get from my work...I didn't see that "golden man" book or whatever the name was though...anyone know about that?

bounty
11-12-03, 08:18
uhuhuhuuuhhuh uhuhuhuhhuhuhuh, you said dick.

Rade
11-12-03, 13:26
Ok, Dade and whoever else wants to get into cyberpunk, the one
and true master is william gibson, read the Neuromancer triology
and the Virtual Light triology or you wont get any presents from
santa this year.

Neuromancer
Count Zero
Mona Lisa Overdrive

Virtual Light
Idoru
All Tomorrows Parties