PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question : Does tool quality affect tradeskilling?

evs
10-12-03, 15:48
Pretty much what it says on the tin
Answers on a postcard please! :)

ghandisfury
10-12-03, 15:50
No......not with research, repair, or construction. (although it should)......and there should be rares of each;) .....

Original monk
10-12-03, 15:51
i didnt tested it before: but i think the tool doesnt affect the quality of builds or amount of slots ya get on youre gun ...

think its one of them myths, but when it happens to be better to use a better quality tool, i go buy one right away ffcourse :)

edit: ok ghandy you beated me on this one :)

evs
10-12-03, 16:03
cheers lads :)

[TgR]KILLER
10-12-03, 17:26
i use 2 TL 150 tools from crytons.. can't go wrong with them ;)
and ofcourse 2 matching gloves to hold them *grins*

Candaman
10-12-03, 17:38
i think possibly that the quality of the tool (practiced on ress) is wether u fail or destroy the cube

with a lower quality ress tool u destroy more when u fail than one with high quality

i think

Darken
10-12-03, 17:56
The quality just affects on progess % speed
the better the quality of ur tool is the faster it goes :)

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 18:17
Nope to quality of tool affecting success when researching (as suggested by Candaman), and nope to quality of tool making the progress go faster(as suggested by Darken). The quality of a tool has no influence on any tradeskill, it's all about the skill of the player using the tool. Early retail the tools degraded with prolonged use, but that is a feature that has long since gone.

Take care,

Reefie

ghandisfury
10-12-03, 18:29
Originally posted by ReefSmoker
Nope to quality of tool affecting success when researching (as suggested by Candaman), and nope to quality of tool making the progress go faster(as suggested by Darken). The quality of a tool has no influence on any tradeskill, it's all about the skill of the player using the tool. Early retail the tools degraded with prolonged use, but that is a feature that has long since gone.

Take care,

Reefie

WINNNAR TO THE KING;)

Candaman
10-12-03, 18:33
*hangs head in shame*

pwnd

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 18:38
Originally posted by Candaman
*hangs head in shame*

pwnd

LOL as long as you don't take it to heart - at least you said 'I think' as opposed to Darken who didn't give himself such a safeguard ;)

Take care,

Reefie

Strych9
10-12-03, 18:40
I remember in early retail people would ask you what the quality was of your tool before they would let you build for them.

Good times.

But then again, some people still ask about drugs and buffs concerning slots on non-rares.... so some things never change.

Carinth
10-12-03, 18:45
I have to disagree, Reef. As a researcher I experimented and found the quality of the tool influences failure rate. A poor tool had me failing tech parts like crazy. I switched back to my better tool and I didn't fail on any of them. I've tested this several times, it wasn't just a coincidence.

I can't comment on construction, but since the two have so many other things in common I assume it's the same. I do know that nothing can improve your research speed above a certain skill. Psi Booster 3's will still take a few seconds nomatter what you do.

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 18:48
Originally posted by Carinth
I have to disagree, Reef. As a researcher I experimented and found the quality of the tool influences failure rate. A poor tool had me failing tech parts like crazy. I switched back to my better tool and I didn't fail on any of them. I've tested this several times, it wasn't just a coincidence.

Since there is effectively an element of randomness to success / failure (when research skill is less than double the TL) I'm taking this observation with a pinch of salt, but by no means am I going to deny it since it appears to be the case with your experimentation :) Suffice to say that once research is double the TL of the item being researched, failure is not possible - despite some people saying that they've failed when having double the TL in their research skill, I know the double-TL rule is fact :)

I always used the cheaper tools before the prices were altered to make little difference between yo's and cryton's tools, I'll leave it at that ;)

Take care,

Reefie

Strych9
10-12-03, 18:50
Construction tools have been tested in huge batch builds.

No difference on construction tools for sure.

That, and the devs indicated there was no difference for constr tools.

Heidi
10-12-03, 18:50
I can state the reserach tool quality does not affect the succesrate.
i've got one of these few 120% tools and would not say that it works better than a "poor" tool.

Carinth
10-12-03, 19:25
I guess I could be wrong, or maybe they changed it since I tested. I quit researching quite a long time ago. I do clearly remember my failure rate skyrocketing each time I used the poor tool. Maybe I was just getting an extremely bad set of die rolls : )

It's also been my experience that double TL skill ensures no critical failures, but does not ensure no normal failures. At an op with 220 skill I will fail Expensive tech parts (tl 110), now and then. I will even fail Normal Techs (tl 75? i think), once in a while. Failing Normal techs is very rare, but it does happen, especialy while workin on large batches.

Again maybe the Gods of Chance hate me, but that's how it's been for me as a Researcher.

Note: Another not so commonly known feature of Research is that your Int level does play a roll in failure rate. As my researcher spy, I was failing quite often until I put in as many imps to boost Int as I could, once her int was over 100 the failure rate dropped quite a bit.

ghandisfury
10-12-03, 19:33
As a researching spie I can say that I've done minimul testing and have found no difference from a crytons or Yo's tool. I will aslo say that to my recolection I have never failed a research while having double TL of the item. However, I will reserve my right to be incorrect;) (quite unlikely though:p ).