PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations?

Kasumi
10-12-03, 10:44
Anyone recommend me a good science fiction book? ^.^
Was thinking about getting a book called "Enders Game" and some of the others from the same series. Would they be worth buying? Are they any good? ^^

Necrosadistic
10-12-03, 11:00
What sort of sci-fi do you like?

If you said I would be able to recommend a lot more...

Try the Deathworld trilogy by Harry Harrison - imo one of the best sci-fi series... Written in Harrison's unique slightly sarcastic style...
He also did two very good satirical series of books - the Stainless Steel Rat series and the Bill the Galactic Hero series....

If you want to read something that makes you uncomfortable and shows off some of the worst aspects of human nature read the Gap series by Stephen Donaldson...

For hard scientific sci-fi read anything by Isaac Asimov, especially the Foundation epic series of books.

For military sci-fi from a first person persepctive read the Hope series by David Feintuch...

I could go on and on, but those are some of the best thing's I've read in the genre...

MkVenner
10-12-03, 11:06
If u like that sorta thing, which i do, Strata and the other one (cant beleive i forgot it) by Terry Pratchett...if u like them u could try the Discworld ones as well but there not Sci-Fi

Dardalion
10-12-03, 11:09
Sausage inna bun anyone ? only 1 dollar and thats cutting me own throat

MkVenner
10-12-03, 11:10
lol

Dissenter
10-12-03, 11:12
LotR :P

much better than the films as I am finding out.

Kasumi
10-12-03, 11:33
Sorry should of been more specific I like Cyberpunk and post apocalyptic books as well as fantasy books like LOTR. I also like books like Enders Game which seems to look pretty neat. :) So pretty much anything with a futuristic story is what I like.

L0KI
10-12-03, 11:39
If you havent read it....

1984 by George Orwell

Orwell's view of how the world would be....

Original monk
10-12-03, 11:40
one book i especially love: i read it about 14 times:

a brave new world from aldous huxly, about a stone ager comming back to the world we all know now ... computerage

a brave new world, aldous huxly (http://www.huxley.net/)

i dont gonna tell you anymore, you will enjoy reading about soma and new behaviour modifying therapy's all in this new "world"

weird thing about the book is that it has been written in 1932, computers and stuff like we all know em now didnt even exist, with the year 1932 in the back of youre head, read the book and you will be stunned what this guy writes ...

its a must read, MUST

:) enjoy

Mumblyfish
10-12-03, 11:50
Not Sci-Fi, but rather Heroic Fantasy. Read all of it in one sitting, without food or drink. The only book I've ever read with REAL characters you genuinely care about. 300 pages of tension, never a dull moment. The battle scenes are superb, fleshed out in so much detail you can see it unfolding before your very eyes.

Yes, I'm that fanatical about David Gemmel's Legend. Get it now. Then read the entire series of Drenai Tales.

Dardalion
10-12-03, 11:57
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
Not Sci-Fi, but rather Heroic Fantasy. Read all of it in one sitting, without food or drink. The only book I've ever read with REAL characters you genuinely care about. 300 pages of tension, never a dull moment. The battle scenes are superb, fleshed out in so much detail you can see it unfolding before your very eyes.

Yes, I'm that fanatical about David Gemmel's Legend. Get it now. Then read the entire series of Drenai Tales.

Yup Gemmel roxxors jooo

I have read every Drenai book and some stand alone ones too.

My persoanl faves are the 3 Waylander books :)

Archeus
10-12-03, 12:03
brave new world is pretty good.

Snowcrash, The diamond age, Ubik

Chaplin
10-12-03, 12:18
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
by Douglas Adams

'nuff said

El_MUERkO
10-12-03, 12:33
Inifinity Welcomes Carefull Drivers by Grant & Naylor :)

JustIn_Case
10-12-03, 14:11
Snowcrash

Mumblyfish
10-12-03, 14:14
Originally posted by Dardalion
Yup Gemmel roxxors jooo

I have read every Drenai book and some stand alone ones too.

My persoanl faves are the 3 Waylander books :)

I've only read the original Waylander, and let me just say Dardalion > All. Your name was chosen... wisely.

Rachius
10-12-03, 14:20
Foundation, Second Foundation, Foundation and Empire.
All the Dune books (maybe not the newer ones)
Lensman series
Hitchhikers trilogy (all five parts)
Pretty much anything by EE Smith, Asimov, Edmund Cooper, or James Blish.

Five to Twelve by Cooper was a brilliant book, one of my favourites.

Richard Slade
10-12-03, 14:29
Cyberpunk ya say?
Well watch out cuz the bomb is about to drop!

Williams, Tad -
Otherland vol. 1: City of Golden Shadow (1997)
Otherland vol. 2: River of Blue Fire
Otherland vol. 3
Otherland vol. 4

Watson, Ian - Whores of Babylon

Quick, W.T. -
Dreams of Flesh and Sand
Dreams of Gods and Men
Singularities
Systems
Yesterdays Pawn

Quarterman, John S. - The Matrix.

Moran, Daniel Keys -
Armageddon Blues
Emerald Eyes
The Long Run
The Last Dancer

Jeter, K.W. -
Death Arms
Dr. Adder
The Glass Hammer
Farewell Horizontal
Bladerunner 2: The Edge of Human
Bladerunner 3: Replicant Night
Noir

Gibson, William -
Burning Chrome (collection)
Neuromancer
Count Zero
Mona Lisa Overdrive
Johnny Mnemonic

Dick, Phillip K. - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
(Bladerunner's original name ;) )

Well that's the books I like atleast, hope you enjoy some.

El_MUERkO
10-12-03, 14:33
Away from Sci Fi, Terry Pratchet's Disc World books are brilliant.

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.

A Game of Thrones by J.R.R Martin.

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn is a great trilogy, The Baker Boy, Anything by David Eddings, The Rift War and Serpent War Trilogys are great as well.

Conduit
10-12-03, 14:42
Anything by Iain M Banks.
IMO the most descriptive and imaginative sci-fi writer of his generation, and he tells a good story too ;)

A few to choose from, but i recommend to start:
Consider Phlebas.
The player of games.
Use of weapons.
Against a dark background.

greploco
10-12-03, 14:51
all Terry Pratchett books, really damn enjoyable

Snowcrash is a good reccomend

Neuromancer by william gibson, excellent

some people got into that "white gold weilder" series by Stephen R. Donaldson but I found it plodding and

enders game is quite good, I can't believe that freaking book has been selling so well for so long, it's still pretty much a best seller, but I've heard that the author is a pedophile -- now this is only a rumor -- probably not true, but it kind of soured the book for me, I'm sure we will see a movie on that one, one day

there's this whole "Elf Stones" series of books by Terry Brooks, those are light and pretty fun, though it looks like he has extended it with a new series, that might suck, you never know if they are trying to milk something for more than it's worth

that movie Timeline, that's a decent book - although it reads like a screenplay, it's like you can imagine creighton counting movie money as he was writing the book

can't go wrong with a little "Dune" though those are a bit numerous

pretty much anything by steven king, I'd have to say he's the best author in the world (currently alive)

there are older authors, issac asimov has this whole "The Foundation" series, pretty long - his short stories are awesome

avoid that freak ron l hubbard, his books have that "old flavor" like issac asimove, they are ok -- but the money goes to that cult thing he invented, they are a nasty nasty group

there is one series that's really cool, I can't remember it for the life of me --- holy crap, the yahoo is pretty amazing, I just thought of three words"dilettante fantasy sword" and a yahoo search picked up the books with the first hit. man the internet is mind blowing. the author is joel rosenberg and the first book is called "the sleeping dragon", it's really pretty enjoyable, and the other books in the series are as well. though it does "jump the shark" as most series do unfortunately.

there is lots more

asking at good sized nice bookstore is your best bet, though you have to get a hold of someone who doesn't think that liking science fiction and fantasy books is a character flaw -- sometimes hard to do :/

oh yeah --- "the misenchanted sword" is really good, first in a series, the others aren't as good but are enjoyable

Comie
10-12-03, 15:37
as the person who suggested that mumblyfish read Legend... yu can see by his reaction how truely amazing it is... let me tell yu some facts about that book (or that i have read)

1) it was the first book David gemell wrote
2) he was diagnosed with i think cancer before he wrote about it and the book is about him coming to terms with death... which if yu look at it that way yu can see

to all those who dont know what im talking about i suggest yu just read it... yu wont be able to put it down, i've bought 6 copies of it sofar and given them to others spreading the word as it were

Kasumi
10-12-03, 16:04
Ok Thanks a lot guys! :D If there are anymore recommendations please tell. ^_^ I am going to book store tomorrow so the more the better! :P

Dribble Joy
10-12-03, 16:14
Originally posted by Conduit
Anything by Iain M Banks.
IMO the most descriptive and imaginative sci-fi writer of his generation, and he tells a good story too ;)

A few to choose from, but i recommend to start:
Consider Phlebas.
The player of games.
Use of weapons.
Against a dark background.

OMG yes.
Some of the non culture books by Banks are also very good.

Crow road and The Business in particular.

As mentioned before, Douglas Adams and Terry Paratchett (In whos field reside my Granny's sheep :p) books are good.

Ivory
10-12-03, 16:25
If you are into fanstasy books try the forgotten realms books.

The best one that I have enjoyed has got to be the Icewind Dale Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. Yes the game had the same setting.

The main character's are fully thought out and you will find your favourite just by reading the 1st few chapters.

Nerver have I read a fantasy book with characters so thought out. The main character Drizzt Do'Urden a dark elf... his race hated by most tries to find acceptance through his courageous deeds. I couldnt put the book down. There are a series of R.A Salvatore books and if you are interested in them read them in this order.

Icewindale Trilogy
Dark Elf Trilogy
Cleric Quintet - A separate adventure but part of the same forgotten realms
Legacy Of The Drow - Collector's Edition
Paths of Darkness - Collector's Edition this is out next year i think so i've pre ordered it
Hunter's Blade Trilogy - this is in the making.

Rieper
10-12-03, 16:38
God, youve set everyone off now :)

the best sci fi author of the 20th century without a doubt was Robert Heinlen (imo :p) take a look at Friday for a great read.

Iain M. banks has a interesting view of the future... and hes an incredible author.. take a look at Player of Games for a shorter read.. then Consider Phlebas and Use of Weapons :)

Isaac Asimov is great. Grab a copy of I, Robot and if you like the stories, delve into the Complete Robot. I love his short stories.

EE 'doc' Smith was an early sci-fi author, who pretty much started the space-opera genre. Have a look at his lensman series

Harry Harrison is a funny guy, witha unique style. Deathworld is good, but i prefer the To The Stars trilogy(iirc thats its name, havent read it in a while)

Larry Niven's ringworld is worth a look, but its relatively weighty

Zanathos
10-12-03, 16:56
DDDDDDDDUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

12 Novels so far.

I believe the order in which the books are told is like this.

Dune : The Butlerian Jihad *Have
Dune : The Machine Crusade (Currently in Hard Cover) *Dont Have
Dune : The Battle of Corrin (Currently being made) *Dont Have
Dune : House Atreides *Have
Dune : House Harkonnen *Have
Dune : House Corrino *Have
Dune *Have
Dune : Messiah *Have
Dune : Children of Dune *Dont Have
Dune : God Emperor of Dune *Dont Have
Dune : Heretics of Dune *Dont Have
Dune : Chapterhouse : Dune *Dont Have

Winnah!

Theres always the Star Craft books too, but its more of if your a fan of the game.

1984, heared its a decent book, only read the first couple of pages though.

RuriHoshino
10-12-03, 17:22
Futuristic military sci-fi with a fantastic female lead....
the "Honor Harrington" series by David Weber.

Fantasy by David Weber....
"Oath of Swords" and "The Sword God's Own"

(maybe you can tell I like Weber's books:p )

ghandisfury
10-12-03, 17:42
I'm quite supprised that Stranger in a Strange Land has not been added to the list....quite possibly the best sci-fi ever written.

Comie
10-12-03, 18:40
bah drizzt is a gay boy... hes not even a scratch on Druss (no im not doing oooh look t drizzt hes a lvl 10warrior 6ranger... etc.)
just read and find out

icarium
10-12-03, 19:22
sorry if peeps have mentioned these am at work, no time to read thread

Altered Carbon and Broken ANgels by Richard Morgan

all books by Peter F hamilton, ESPECIALLY the nights dawn trilogy, superb books

Alistair reynolds, all books

and of course all sci fi books by Iain M Banks, start with Excession, one of the best sci fi books ever written IMO. player of games is also v good, eh jernau? ;)

Mirco
10-12-03, 20:05
Just bought absolution gap by A. reynolds today :) .
Just a quick question, anyone here read quicksilver with Neal Stephenson was it any good? I read cryptonomicon which I thought was great. Not sci-fi, just a little of topic question on the side.

Heavyporker
10-12-03, 20:08
Otherworld by Tad Williams - oh gawd, it fucking rocks, and, guys...

I'm scared to say that it's actually quite prophetic about today's world - I mean, ffs, look WHAT we are playing! ^ ^

Discworld series by Terry Pratchett - oh, amen - but guys - read "The Last Hero" - made me tear up a bit.

Yes, it's a fucking shame that Stranger in a Strange World hadn't been mentioned off the bat... it rocks.

Altered Carbon - that makes me think - wasn't it that one where human bodies are merely meat and spareparts - ppl download themselves and shit? Yeah, loved that one - made me think.

and yes, Hitchhiker's Guide rocks. Wheel of Time series, long and involved, but cool. I read too many books to recall them off the bat :(

Breschau
10-12-03, 20:30
Although it's not sci-fi, Neil Gaiman writes some real interesting fantasy (novels, short stories, comics - best known probably being the Sandman series).

I was also gonna mention Terry Pratchett and Iain M Banks, but they've already been mentioned lots already :)

but guys - read "The Last Hero" - made me tear up a bit.
And, on the cheerier side, it has a really cool pic of the Librarian (with the flight goggles on) and Death (with the kitten). I was also forced to steal (Evil Dark Lord) Harry Dread's name for a character in neocron :)

Heavyporker
10-12-03, 20:33
yeah! Last Hero rules!

and wasn't that shot of when.. um, no spoiler for those that hasnt read it.. but... wasn't it GORGEOUS when the travelers got to see the Turtle from up atop and under? ;)

and the Gods look a bit odd.. cool, but odd.

g0rt
10-12-03, 20:34
I read Doomsday Book a few weeks back and it was good.

Dribble Joy
10-12-03, 20:36
The large scale pictures in that book are incredible.

The image of the (dammit what's the name of the ship?) flies between the legs is brilliant.
Huge legs towering to either side, and a small dot leaving a whitey blue trail behind :)

Breschau
10-12-03, 20:46
Kinda wish they'd release a lot of those as posters. I don't generally go in for posters, but some of those pictures are just so damn nice.

icarium
10-12-03, 20:49
Originally posted by Heavyporker

Altered Carbon - that makes me think - wasn't it that one where human bodies are merely meat and spareparts - ppl download themselves and shit? Yeah, loved that one - made me think.

yup bodies are referred to as sleeves, people swapping bodies all the time, stellar travel is simply done by beaming people into new bodies half way across the galaxy. plus, takeshi kovaks = coolest guy ever

oh and the Malazan books of the fallen by Steven Erikson. best fantasy type books ever, book 5 is out soon, theres gonna be 10 books in total, each ones about 1000 pages long. superb stories and some of the best characters ever. hence my name ;)

shodanjr_gr
10-12-03, 21:03
A couple of books i loved.

Rama by Arthur C. Clark ( i think ;))

Do androids dream of electric sheep by Philip K. Dick

Read em both!!!!!!!!

NOW!!!!!

Heavyporker
10-12-03, 21:05
icarum.. takeshi rocks, but hearing him think about the Envoys make me scared of those people! ^ ^

also, the huge moral implications in that book is staggering...

and the stuff near the end of that book made me woozy, though I'd done worse than shoot a spider venom fragger into that guy's face.

RuriHoshino
10-12-03, 21:06
Stranger in a Strange Land...Time Enough for Love....The Number of the Beast...there was another whose title I can't remember, but a old rich man's brain is transplanted to the body of his young secretary (who hasn't quite left yet :p ).

icarium
10-12-03, 21:33
Originally posted by Heavyporker
icarum.. takeshi rocks, but hearing him think about the Envoys make me scared of those people! ^ ^

also, the huge moral implications in that book is staggering...

and the stuff near the end of that book made me woozy, though I'd done worse than shoot a spider venom fragger into that guy's face.

hehe yes he can be quite a nasty guy lol :D

Ehyuko
11-12-03, 02:08
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood
Earth by David Brin
The Books of Known Space, The Man-Kinz Wars, Protector, Footfall by Larry Niven
The Legacy of Heirot, Bewolf's Children, The Mote in God's Eye, The Moat Around Murchesons Eye by both Niven and Pournelle
Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card
The White Plague by Robert Heinlen
Nor Crystal Tears, A Call to Arms, The False Mirror and The Spoils of War by Alan Dean Foster

All good sci-fi books.

Edit: Sure the classics are good, but don't miss the great books of the more recent past. ^_^

Kikyo
11-12-03, 02:52
wtf lol... books ? ewww... books suxor except some books :-D

:eek:

- mmac-10ddddd

grounded grrrrrr:mad:

Gestra
11-12-03, 03:07
Joe haldeman - The forever war.

Sci Fi greatness, quite apocalyptical as well.

Ran
11-12-03, 06:58
Tsk tsk, no respect for Scott Card.
Get Ender's Game, you won't regret it.

I'd also recommend the Otherland books by Tad Williams as a couple other people have. Amazing cover art and they'll keep giving you new things for as many read throughs as you'll give them.

I read N. Lee Wood's Looking for the Mahdi recently. Definitely the oddest cyberpunk book I've ever read... but good. If you've ever been interested in reporters in a cyberpunk world then I'd give it a read.

Gibson's Burning Chrome collection of short stories is amazing and often overshadowed by either the Bridge or Sprawl sagas. ... I was going to give a favorite story here, but looking at the chapter index, I can't remember one that I didn't end with a Reevish 'Woah'.

Now to bed... too much flu in my bloodstream.

Shadow Dancer
11-12-03, 07:37
Neocron Manual.

SorkZmok
11-12-03, 07:56
Neil Stephenson - Snow Crash

Best book EVAR!

Kasumi
11-12-03, 08:40
Thanks a bunch guys! :D Just spent like 25000Yen on books. :\ Anyway thanks a lot guys I appreciate it. I got a bunch of books thanks to you all. ^_^

KramerTheWeird
11-12-03, 08:52
Originally posted by RuriHoshino
Stranger in a Strange Land...Time Enough for Love....The Number of the Beast...there was another whose title I can't remember, but a old rich man's brain is transplanted to the body of his young secretary (who hasn't quite left yet :p ).

You mean Robert Heinland. He was considered the founder sci-fi, has some great works, those especially. He also did nice short stories.

Comie
11-12-03, 09:36
should of actually suggested
War of the world's by H.G. Wells, now theres a classic

greploco
11-12-03, 11:23
yes Ran, I am sorry to post that about card -- it's a tough call to pass information like that around, in all deference to the author that could have easily been created by jelous competitors, card is very successful for good reason

Rieper
11-12-03, 11:27
Originally posted by KramerTheWeird
You mean Robert Heinland. He was considered the founder sci-fi, has some great works, those especially. He also did nice short stories.

you mean heinlein? or am i mistaken? If you're talking about someone else then also look at Heinlein.. like i said earlier, the 20th century's greatest sci fi author imo.

Rade
11-12-03, 13:34
copy paste -

Ok, Dade and whoever else wants to get into cyberpunk, the one
and true master is william gibson, read the Neuromancer triology
and the Virtual Light triology or you wont get any presents from
santa this year.

Neuromancer
Count Zero
Mona Lisa Overdrive

Virtual Light
Idoru
All Tomorrows Parties

These six books are a must-read. Other things to look into by
William Gibson is Burning Chrome (a very good collection of
novells).

Lecko
11-12-03, 16:02
Originally posted by Rade
...read the Neuromancer triology
and the Virtual Light triology or you wont get any presents from
santa this year.

Does this mean I get a bulging sack from santa this year :eek: :eek:

Read em all and the new one...taken the names on Saturn of some of the characters so ya can't ave em! :D

kurai
11-12-03, 17:30
lol

Of all the stuff mentioned so far there's only about a dozen in total that I haven't read :D

No one has mentioned Walter Jon Williams or John Courtenay Grimwood yet - both do good cyber-punky/near future stuff.

If you fancy trying something on a longer timeline try Alistair Reynolds.

I could go on for ages, but I suspect you already have enough to be going on with, and the 3 mentioned above are just some of the most recent that stuck in my mind ;)

Crashtec
11-12-03, 19:08
Stephen King's Dark Tower series. 7 books, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, main character 'The Gunslinger'. Very interesting.

Oryx
14-12-03, 12:50
Stephen king- The Dark Half , Frank McCourt- 'Tis, Angellas Ashes. Malachy McCourt- A monk Swimming.

John Sack- An eye for an eye

Stalin- Edvard Radzinsky

Wolf Heckmann- Rommel's War in Afrika

Some of many books I have...

t0tt3
14-12-03, 13:20
GET OVER IT!THEY DONT DROP ANY BOOKS IN NC!
oops wrong thread :D :rolleyes:

Starship Titanic

Funny book by Terry Jones
one of the jokers that created Monty Python Flying Circus :D

KramerTheWeird
14-12-03, 13:22
You're right Rieper. :)

Ryuben
15-12-03, 04:22
www.terrygoodkind.com

greendonkeyuk
15-12-03, 04:51
could u guys pm me all these boks as my mouse aint workin right now and i can cut n paste. :(

Valkyrie
15-12-03, 05:06
His Dark Materials (trilogy) - Philip Pullman

Apparently the third most popular series in the UK according to the BBC Big Read thingy, it's damn good stuff.

Besides the author is a friend of mine and I want him to make money, so go buy :)

icarium
16-12-03, 00:01
Originally posted by Valkyrie
His Dark Materials (trilogy) - Philip Pullman

Apparently the third most popular series in the UK according to the BBC Big Read thingy, it's damn good stuff.

Besides the author is a friend of mine and I want him to make money, so go buy :)

good read for adults AND KIDS?? wtf? next someone will suggest harry potter :p

Marx
16-12-03, 00:13
For something similar to Neocron, read Bodyguard (http://books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n1/n9051.htm?authorid=6094) by William C. Dietz. He also wrote a number of other great books, all mainly futuristic sci-fi.

Anything with the word Bolo (http://books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n3/n15246.htm?authorid=1698) in the title. Originally a Keith Laumer series, a number of other authors have stepped in and also wrote stories in the series.

David Sherman (http://www.novelier.com/sf-f.html) also writes alot of decent Sci-Fi, all of it involving the Marine Corps in one way or another.

*shrug* lots of stuff out there, but that stuff up there just happens to be whats on my desk at the moment, will write more later if you want. heh.

joran420
16-12-03, 00:49
SnowCrash by Neal Stephenson fuckin Rox

Omnituens
16-12-03, 01:10
Timeline by Michael Crichton (sp)

very good read. might go and see the film too.

Mumblyfish
16-12-03, 01:55
You did pick up one of the Drenai Tales, yes? ;)