PDA

View Full Version : shuttign down messenger

greploco
10-12-03, 08:21
this is due for a repost, I think this works for both XP and 2000

if you are having any sort of problem with people popping up messenger windows while you are in game try this ->

in the control panel there is an app called "administrative tools"

start it up and look for an app called "services"

start it up and look for the service called "messenger"

right click and change the startup type to "disabled"

Drake6k
10-12-03, 09:18
I hope my friends dont read that.... *evil laugh*net sends again*

g0rt
10-12-03, 09:19
Originally posted by Drake6k
I hope my friends dont read that.... *evil laugh*net sends again*

rofl

Freaky Deaky
10-12-03, 12:44
this?

http://www.xp-antispy.org/

some other nice features. hopefully it is self-explanatory.

Radamez
10-12-03, 13:27
Originally posted by greploco

if you are having any sort of problem with people popping up messenger windows while you are in game try this ->

Good tip :)

I found this out myself quite a while ago when I pissed off with all those messages appearing, interrupting whatever I was doing.

And to think, there are programs out there that charge people just to make that small change, sickening isn't it :s

Kimiko
10-12-03, 13:40
I had a really stupid one pop up, offering a program to stop the popups... lol. That was right after a reinstall, I sent an email to the company thanking them for reminding me that I needed to turn it off the easy way.

shodanjr_gr
10-12-03, 13:57

I think this only works on XP Pro.

If u got XP Home (shame on u :p) check the microsoft knowledge database. There was a registry hack u could do to prevent Messenger Service from starting...

P4mp3rk3
10-12-03, 14:09
nah, it works both on my home PC (win XP home :() and on ym laptop (winXP pro yay)

Scikar
10-12-03, 14:10
I find Windows Firewall blocks those popup messages fine. Probably doesn't stop much else but if all you want is to block popups then Windows Firewall does the job.

shodanjr_gr
10-12-03, 14:44
Originally posted by P4mp3rk3
nah, it works both on my home PC (win XP home :() and on ym laptop (winXP pro yay)

Odd,when i was trying to shutdown messenger on my dads laptop, i dont think it had an administrative options menu....

anywayz,

me<---nub

Lecko
10-12-03, 14:48
What popups are these? I use messenger all the time, but I dont get any pop-ups apart from telling me people are online. Are these like adverts or summink?

greploco
10-12-03, 15:03
this is a system by which you can send popup messages to a computer

like maybe a network administrators could use it to notify servers going down on an intranet or soemthing like that

in the real world however irritating people wanting to make money through spamming use it to send people messages about stupid crap - it's a modal dialog too so it pops to the top and you have to deal with it. it sux

everytime I reinstall I get these popups before I turn it off

the administrative tools icon is in my control panel, I use win2k. it might be in a different place on different systems. but you do have to have it installed -- with a normal install I don't know if that is included. it can be added though, like any other windows component.

Lecko
10-12-03, 15:33
I use messenger all the time and I've never had a single piece of spam (+1) before. It's one which you can add yer mates and talk to them right? If anyone talks to I just hear the noise, it doesnt pull me out of NC. Does this mean IM could be turning to a new ICQ where you get constant spammage. Bugger. :(

oh, and: "Welcome to our newest member, BiggusDickus "

what a fine film....

Radamez
10-12-03, 15:42
Originally posted by Lecko
I use messenger all the time and I've never had a single piece of spam (+1) before. It's one which you can add yer mates and talk to them right? If anyone talks to I just hear the noise, it doesnt pull me out of NC. Does this mean IM could be turning to a new ICQ where you get constant spammage. Bugger. :(

oh, and: "Welcome to our newest member, BiggusDickus "

what a fine film....

We're not talking about MSN messenger :p

L0KI
10-12-03, 15:57

Right click "meesenger" > "STOP"

Roght Click "messenger" again > "Properties", then change to "Disabled"

for those of u whom cannot work it out ;)

Omnituens
10-12-03, 20:03
ZA Pro > NetSend :p