PDA

View Full Version : slight problem.....

Dribble Joy
10-12-03, 05:44
OK, someone (who is innocent but shall remain nameless) Posted that windowed NC gets better fps than full screen.
So I press shift when launching NC and it brings up the config window. It;s all a bit fucked up, so i press ok and I enter the game for a bit.

Cut to a few hours later and I'm invited to get mashed my Ostriches EPR toting PE in NF.
I launch NC without shift being held down, and I get the config window again... odd
I press OK and I get a FRE
Same thing happens again when I try to launch again.

The window looks like this.

http://www.satanslaw.co.uk/test/uploads/help.jpg

The other selections are blank.

WTF. O_o

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 05:52
*raises his hand* Uhm... that'd be my fault I guess ?!?

Well, not the weird selections, but getting you to try windowed mode :p

Now when this problem came up while I was doing KK's english tech support, the usual course of action was to get the customer to uninstall their graphics drivers, reboot, install the graphics drivers (often checking with the customer to make sure they had WHQL certified drivers to install), reboot again, then fire up NC and all was sorted. In a few cases it didn't work though, and those were the times the problems were passed onto Ulrich Haar (or however it's spelt), who was then the lead coder for Neocron (still employed by KK, currently on 6 month holiday leave). Anyhow, the only downside to passing them on is that I never got any responses from him, so I never did find out how to fix the problem if a fresh driver installation didn't fix it :(

Give the driver removal / reinstallation a go, if that doesn't work then all I can suggest is to contact the support team and hope they have a working solution to the problem - for all I know Ulrich got back to them after I quit my role within the team - let's hope so anyhow !

*apologises profusely for even suggesting anyone else should try window mode* :D

Take care,

Reefie

Dribble Joy
10-12-03, 06:16
Reinstalled gfx drivers.

Still don't work....

Arse....

If anyone needs me I'll be looking for my NC CD's

Dribble Joy
10-12-03, 06:29
I appear to have lost my NC disks, or they are approximately 80 miles from my present location.

Can I dl the free trial and use my current pw?

Cypher_Psy
10-12-03, 06:43
A quick fix would be to edit your Neocron.ini

Heres mine which plays in 1024 full sreen.

//neocron INIFILE
STARTTIME="12"
PREFDRIVER = "(D3D)Primary Display Driver"
PREFMODENAME = "1024x768x32"
PREFSOUNDDRIVER = "Generic DirectSound Driver"
PREFSOUNDMIXER = "Generic DirectSound Mixer"
GAMMA = "1.1"
STARTUPMENU = "TRUE"
SHOWCONSOLE = "TRUE"
FASTRUN = "FALSE"
CASTSHADOWS = "FALSE"
BIGLIGHTS = "TRUE"
WEAPONVISIBLE = "TRUE"
HUDACTIVE = "FALSE"
RECORDMOVIE = "FALSE"
STARTTIME = "12"
CAMREPLAY = "FALSE"
PLAYCDTRACK = "0"
SAVEMOVIE = "FALSE"
MOVIEFPS = "15"
NETBASEIP = "62.140.29.54:7000"
NOSPLASH = "TRUE"
NOEXTRO = "TRUE"

Stick that in and see what happens.
It won't get your menu looking right, but you can at least play and edit the screen size.

Shujin
10-12-03, 06:46
Originally posted by ReefSmoker

Well, not the weird selections, but getting you to try windowed mode :p

yea u got me to too ;]
i seen u said it'd help fps and seen u could do that windowed mode size and was like ;o *sex's reefeh

Dribble Joy
10-12-03, 06:49
OMG, look what I found.

//neocron INIFILE
STARTTIME="12"
PREFDRIVER = "."
PREFMODENAME = "1024x768x32"
PREFSOUNDDRIVER = "Generic DirectSound Driver"
PREFSOUNDMIXER = "Generic DirectSound Mixer"
GAMMA = "1.1"
STARTUPMENU = "TRUE"
SHOWCONSOLE = "TRUE"
FASTRUN = "FALSE"
CASTSHADOWS = "FALSE"
BIGLIGHTS = "TRUE"
WEAPONVISIBLE = "TRUE"
HUDACTIVE = "FALSE"
RECORDMOVIE = "FALSE"
STARTTIME = "12"
CAMREPLAY = "FALSE"
PLAYCDTRACK = "0"
SAVEMOVIE = "FALSE"
MOVIEFPS = "15"
NETBASEIP = "62.140.29.54:7000"
NOSPLASH = "TRUE"
NOEXTRO = "TRUE"

:lol:

Spectra260
10-12-03, 06:49
i was gonna try it actually...

should i still try?:confused:

Cypher_Psy
10-12-03, 06:54
The difference is the line

PREFDRIVER = "(D3D)Primary Display Driver"

;)

Dribble Joy
10-12-03, 06:56
Weee, NC works again, but the menu is still fucked and I can't run in windowed mode.

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 07:03
Originally posted by Spectra260
i was gonna try it actually...

should i still try?:confused:

All works fine for me, the problem is caused by a borked driver installation, but as for a solution to the problem I never heard anything back from Ulrich about the cases I passed over to him. Funny thing is that even though it's a problem with the driver installation on some systems - other games still work fine :confused:

Anyhow, not a problem on my 3 boxes, and rarely a problem for others... It's just one of those things where Neocron shows flaws in a system's setup.

I do change back to full-screen from time to time, but only when I'm not worried about alt-tabbing or other stuff !

Take care,

Reefie