PDA

View Full Version : anyone have hard info on memory 512 vs 1024 ?

greploco
10-12-03, 05:19
anyone have real life experience on how much of a difference goin from 512 mb to 1024 mb memory ?

I've heard it's "good" but I don't really know what that means

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 05:24
Not much of a difference for day-to-day stuff tbh. If you ran a db server then it'd be worthwhile, or wanted to process very large images (ie you're working on posters in photoshop or a similar art package) then yeah cool, the more memory the better.

Playing games, doing office work, running an OS in general, nah, stick with 512MB until you've got reason to justify the leap. Memory isn't expensive so go for it if you like, but I'd heartily recommend faster memory with lower latency times as opposed to making the jump from 512 to 1024 :) If you've already got the fastest memory with the lowest latency times then it's back to square one !

Just ask yourself if you're likely to be running a db server on the system in question, or if you're going to be working with large images in photoshop :cool:

Take care,

Reefie

PS To anyone wondering why I'm still up - I had a wisdom tooth removed by the dentist at the emergency dental clinic this evening, and the injections wore off - I'm scheduled to have the other 3 removed some time later this week or early next week when they can fit me into their schedule... :(

NeoChick
10-12-03, 05:27
Yes I saw a difference, I upgraded my memory and there definitely is less lag.
NC has never been really that bad, but when I played SWG it was unplayable until I got the extra memory

I did not realize that memory can make a difference to lag but apparently it does

ReefSmoker you poor lamb, I feel for you, get well soon

wun
10-12-03, 05:28
sup reef old boy!

i had two wisdom teeth removed... hell.. pur muh'fuckin hell..
chewin was a bitch for a couple of weeks...

lucky doc said i only got/had 2... so that's it for me...yay

yeah i got 1024 mb here at work.. cos i need it.. runnin photoshop, illustrator and flash mx at same time... helps alot..

i only got 512 at home and there is a difference (also the work is 333Mhz compared to my 266 at home, waiting for end of financial year for new pc)

Sorin
10-12-03, 05:31
And here I am with a pair of 256mb sticks :( (albeit 333mhz and CL2)

Should I get a 512mb to replace one of the 256mb? :confused:

And as for wisdom teeth, dunno what you're talkin about, as I get to keep all four of mine :D :D

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 05:34
Originally posted by NeoChick
Yes I saw a difference, I upgraded my memory and there definitely is less lag.
NC has never been really that bad, but when I played SWG it was unplayable until I got the extra memory

I did not realize that memory can make a difference to lag but apparently it does

ReefSmoker you poor lamb, I feel for you, get well soon

I'm tempted to say that your performance increase was due to faster memory as opposed to the extra amount - but I'm not going to quibble - it's hard to tell without knowing what you had before and what you upgraded to 1024 with ;)

Thanks for the get well message (same thanks goes for you too Wun), it's my own fault, back when I was a teenager I was given the choice, leave them in, or go through agony and have them removed. I was a coward back then :p Now the teeth have taken up more space than is available to them and the jaw is literally crushing them ! Got back from the dentists at about 9:30pm and just curled up beside my gf and slept for an hour and a half until the injections wore off, kinda realised that I wasn't going to get anymore sleep once I awoke and the feeling came back :p

Take care,

Reefie

EDIT : Sorin, 2 x 256MB is actually faster than 1 x 512 of the same specs (in your case 333MHz, CL2, nice memory I have to say :) I ended up paying a fair chunk extra to get 400MHz CL2 sticks but thankfully they've dropped in price now, when I first got the Athlon XP 3200 hardly anyone sold the memory I was after...)

Extra edit : I love the MC Koopa avatar :D

wun
10-12-03, 05:39
yeah... i was in hella pain...

could barely open my mouth (pre and post op)... eating was the worst..specially since i love food..

PS reef - it's undef.... forgot already ey? o_O

IceStorm
10-12-03, 05:42
When NC leaks, it'll use 600MB or more of RAM. I upgraded to 1GB so I wouldn't start swapping when NC had been up and active for over an hour or two (rare, I know).

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 05:45
Originally posted by wun
yeah... i was in hella pain...

could barely open my mouth (pre and post op)... eating was the worst..specially since i love food..

PS reef - it's undef.... forgot already ey? o_O

Now if I'd seen the 'the undef-ined factor' sooner then I'd have guessed, but I'm not with it just now, it's 3:30am and I think I lost the plot, I even posted (twice) in a spam thread - you know that's not like me *g*

Good to see you around dude, feel free to pop by #blue-tech on ETG anytime you like, we removed the key for the channel so that all us former BT members could catch up and chill out while reminiscing on old times ;) It's often quiet in there but that's because only a handful of old BTers know it's been opened up :)

Take care,

Reefie

Sorin
10-12-03, 05:47
Originally posted by ReefSmoker
EDIT : Sorin, 2 x 256MB is actually faster than 1 x 512 of the same specs (in your case 333MHz, CL2, nice memory I have to say :) I ended up paying a fair chunk extra to get 400MHz CL2 sticks but thankfully they've dropped in price now, when I first got the Athlon XP 3200 hardly anyone sold the memory I was after...)

Extra edit : I love the MC Koopa avatar :D

Yeah, the memory is real nice. I especially love that the chip set, processor (xp 2500+ barton) and memory are all at the same 33mhz speed now :)

Okay, so what if I upgraded both of the 256mb to same spec 512mb instead of just one of them?

And MC Koopa owns! I ganked it from Video Game Director's Cut (http://www.videogamedc.com). It's a bunch of funny and in many cases awesomely put together flash movie parodies of old skool video games (NES, Genesis, SNES, and 1 or 2 other systems). MC Koopa is in a few of the videos, usually as a DJ for Mack Daddy Mario. :D I just had to have it as an avatar for awhile.

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 05:59
Originally posted by Sorin
Okay, so what if I upgraded both of the 256mb to same spec 512mb instead of just one of them?

That's the best plan, while you'll still get good performance with a 512 and a 256 of the same specs in the system, it really is better overall to go for matched pairs in any system, especially if the motherboard supports dual-channel DDR - pretty much most motherboards released in the last year have such a feature except for budget models.

Checking out the VGDC now - something for me to do while I can't sleep ;)

Take care,

Reefie

bounty
10-12-03, 06:21
To me, having even d/l u/l speed is what it is all about 1.5u/1.5d is an amazingly cool connect to have. 3/3 even better.

greploco
10-12-03, 08:16
hmm, thanks - that helps

as for the apps I use, sounds a bit marginal as to whether I'll get much out of it

however memory isn't that expensive, think I might just go for 1024

as for leaks, virtually everything leaks a little memory

Varaem
10-12-03, 09:05
Hm... i had 256mb of really slow ram in my old computer, it ran nc without any problem (except low fps becuase of intel extreme graphics chip... integrated. :( )...
now i have 1024 mb of pc-2700, and NC seems to die every 10 min. ???

Flyl
10-12-03, 11:45
1024mb of ram helps for games that're moddable with really big mods, like anything to do with Return to Castle Wolfenstein, etc. It'll definatly help when the likes of Half Life 2 (huh? what?) and Doom 3/ Quake 4 *eventually* get released.

It also increases windows stability in general if you do what I do and have 30 copies of internet explorer, Neocron, multiple irc clients, SETI@Home, Winamp, yaddayadda open.

Scikar
10-12-03, 11:48
Of course, if you can get 1024MB of very fast RAM, you win on both counts. :D

Archeus
10-12-03, 12:15
I find a GB of memory makes a huge difference to the machines speed.

Sure if your just running office you probably don't need it, but for games and animation, paint programs it makes a serious difference.