View Full Version : If I was a new player...

Carinth
10-12-03, 00:01
I logged in today and actualy spent some time in NC, which I havnt' done in a while. Within 10 minutes I fataled. Then while synching to pepper park, I fataled again. When I return, I am dead by the subway with no belt. On a quick look I don't think I lost anything, but its hard to tell with how much I have in inventory. I logged off and don't have any desire to play NC for several weeks at least.

I would be pretty apalled at Neocron if I was a new player. If I wasn't resigned to crashes and synchs and bugs. If I hadn't spent the last year hoping it would be better. I wouldn't have lasted past the free trial. It says something about NC that many of us have stayed this long, but there's only so much we can take. New players will have much less tolerance then us.

If I pay for NC:DBOY and after I login, I fatal or synch out or crash to desktop... The chance of me staying will be drasticly reduced to say the least.

Ferabukoo
10-12-03, 00:04
maybe thats why we have no new people

icarium
10-12-03, 00:07
probably, i played endless ages for about a week and didnt crash once. shame they expected you to macro to level anything. nc is the best mmorpg/fps i have played but all the synching and fatals piss me off big style. tbh i think we should all start submitting bug reports EVERY time we synch out or fatal, maybe that will give KK an idea of how bad it is

Wannabe
10-12-03, 00:08
It's not guns that kill people, it's the damn LAG!

And those weird synchs that happen sometimes when you zone. I hope that was the last time I synch to someone's apt that hostile to me and an APU :p

Good thing I'm doing my military service by the time BDOY comes out, otherwise I'd have a nervous break down with all the current bugs :(

And I just rerolled my Droner to Pistol PE. Why? Cause KK hates us droners :(

// Wannabe

Zanathos
10-12-03, 01:57
thats not nearly as bad as the 10 minutes i experienced yesturday on neocron.

numb
10-12-03, 02:30
Looking back, there is little chance I would have continued playing neocron had I not already invested in the 25 quid for the game.

At the time though, we were being promised fixes in upcoming patches, which lead to further addiction as I waited. I think nc was slightly more addictive back then anyway, with more PKers etc about, making it stand out from other mmorpgs (most of which I find quite boring - as mob ai sucks in all games compared to intel of -some- ( ;) ) human opponents - there is normally some way to get around every different mob and then suddenly the game becomes, same old, same old).

edit: neocron is definately more stable now though, than back then.

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 02:31
Others have said it, I'll just reiterate it, we need the bug report tool back that existed in beta ! Upon a fatal the window popped up asking if we wanted to submit a bug report - although I have to admit that there were bugs with the bug report tool :rolleyes:

(it would only include the first file attachment out of all files selected, and did some weird stuff to the formatting of the text - if the beta forums still existed then I'd look back to find out what the other bugs were that I listed back then, suffice to say my post on those forums was a bug report about the bug report tool)

A good bug report tool that did it all for us would be very useful !!

Take care,

Reefie

El_MUERkO
10-12-03, 02:34
I have to agree, alot of people who are still here have been used to bugs since beta and there are admittedly less of them but there is still issues with this game that could turn a new player off very quickly.

One of them is when you create a new Player at MC5 and if you take your time as you walk toward the exit you fall over dead, killed without warning by the guards. I cant begin to imagine how frustrating that must be for someone 30 seconds into their game, so they go back to get there stuff and again they die but they dont know why, so they give up and now they leave MC5 with no equipment, a PSI monk level 0/2 arrives in his app without his glove and only 200 ncr.

I'd give up roght there.

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 02:57
If I was a new player...

I'd be worried about threads like this (http://forum.neocron.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84312) ;)

Seriously though, these forums are one of the things that are looked at by some people considering buying the game, and while there's a lot of useful debating, there's also a lot of nonsense as demonstrated in the thread I linked to.

Oh and did I mention that a decent bug report tool would be beneficial ? :p

Take care,

Reefie

Wannabe
10-12-03, 03:16
Bug in the bug reporter? Uhh... no wonder none of the 1000's of bug reports I made came out.

They still haven't fixed the 'exploit' in the NeXT epic! Grr..

On other hand, what's up Reef? Drop me in-game mail when you have time =)

// Wannabe

LuCiD
10-12-03, 03:56
edit wrong post

g0rt
10-12-03, 05:01
Its a big problem, I complain about it to. But some of the morons on this board insist that its MY COMPUTER, and not the game. EVEN THOUGH every other game works flawlessly.

Its something that needs to be fixed, but theres not enough people sending in errorlogs, and it doesn't seem like any of hte bug fixes in any patches ever fix ANY of it...

|R@zor|
10-12-03, 05:10
Today was the first time in a couple of months that i've stayed ingame longer than 5 or 10 minutes, im normally quite blessed when it comes to experiencing bugs, i only get a FRE about once ever couple of weeks.

I tend to take little breaks from the game, start playing other games again but i always come back.

Richard Blade
10-12-03, 05:38
Maybe sending in droves of error reports would be a good thing. Might open some eyes on their end.

What files exactly do they need for the report?
I remember error.log or something like that. But, wasn't there another that had to go too?

Perhaps a refresher from some of you guys who remember, and we'll start the error spamming... err reporting.

LVirus
10-12-03, 08:56
I live with crashes. It takes 10sec to be back in game (usually) after FRE. You just have to live with it. Because I live in Finland, I'm used to stupid things that happens around me .. I just have to live with it :rolleyes:

RayBob
10-12-03, 10:59
The vast majority of PC games are very stable. You could walk into any gaming store and buy 100 random PC games, play them all for 3 hours each and 90% of them would not crash once--another 9% might crash one time in 3 hours.

What do they know that eludes KK? Maybe they should just outsource this problem to some Windows expert to track down and solve. Hell, I'll chip in. But how can you solve a problem when they won't even admit it exists?

Flyl
10-12-03, 11:11
The lag and fatal's seem to have got 100% worse since last patch, before that I used to FRE maybe once every few hours unless I was at an op war and there was a lot going on. Now I can fatal standing all by myself in my apartment when doing research.

Radamez
10-12-03, 11:25
Maybe they're just not bothering to try fixing them anymore, if there was going to be a fix for all the bugs, i'm sure we would have had them by now.

Or maybe NC:BDoY will have completely fresh and re-worked programming, eliminiating all the problems in one swoop.

But who knows? it's really just left to our imaginations, 'cause.. correct me if I'm wrong.. but KK never really give any comment as to their progress with the bugs, or even if they're working on them atall.

I've been playing FFXI for a month now, hadn't crashed once the whole time, but I couldn't deal with the forced grouping and moronic community, so i'm uninstalling right now, seriously considering coming back to NC.. even though my clan have recently left for EVE :rolleyes:

Yalson
10-12-03, 12:52
Originally posted by Radamez
Maybe they're just not bothering to try fixing them anymore, if there was going to be a fix for all the bugs, i'm sure we would have had them by now.

Or maybe NC:BDoY will have completely fresh and re-worked programming, eliminiating all the problems in one swoop.

But who knows? it's really just left to our imaginations, 'cause.. correct me if I'm wrong.. but KK never really give any comment as to their progress with the bugs, or even if they're working on them atall.

There used to be a public bugtracker which was excellent and actually made me think they were serious about fixing bugs - till it mysteriously went offline. see sticky in test forum.

and the "public bug tracker forums" are a joke - spot how many posts have zero replies, doesn't exactly encourage the reporting of bugs

sorry if this post sounds whiney :p

El_MUERkO
10-12-03, 13:39
Originally posted by LVirus
I live with crashes. It takes 10sec to be back in game (usually) after FRE. You just have to live with it. Because I live in Finland, I'm used to stupid things that happens around me .. I just have to live with it :rolleyes:

Virus, you live with it, we all lie with it, we looked past the bugs in retail cause we got used to them in beta OR newer people had friends here who urged them on.

But outside of our community theres a whole heap of people that may look at Neocron with interest.

Attempt to download it and have mulitple problems just installing it.

When thats dealt with they crash repeatedly in my first hour of play fall over dead for no reason in the newbie area they'll just get a pain in the bollox.

A bloke was asking for help on Saturn about a month back, he was in MC5 and didnt have a clue about the game, people were doing their best to be helpfull but he kept dying and generally didnt have a clue.

I made a brand new spy and went to MC5, I helped him for over an hour, showing around Plaza 1, explaining how things worked and gave him a few grand to get started.

I havent seen him since, he probably left plaza 1 and crashed, took a mission that failed half way thru and got barrelled to death on his way to get another, any one of a million things that should piss us off but we choose to ignore must have made him log off never to return.

We've had this discussion before I know but its good to remind KK of the seriousness of this.

When DOY comes out MC5 needs to be a bug free noob paradise, there needs to be experienced people in MC5 around the clock who can repsond to help request from new runners and give them advice about the big bad world they've entered or people will leave before they ever get to see DOY or Neocron.

Radamez
10-12-03, 13:41
:lol:

God i've missed this...

So i cancel my FFXI account, uninstall it.. re-install NC, reactivate my account..

Patch up.. log in.. eternal sync bug :lol:

Sobi
10-12-03, 14:05
Sending in all the crashes and syncs is a cool idea, but I prefer playing and restarting all time.
Otherwise I would be busy sending in all the mails than playing NC... or syncing. ;)

LVirus
10-12-03, 14:55
If nubies gets away that easily, perhaps they don't have attention span long enought for complex games or real intrest for game? I remember me biting my teeth and not calling KK names when in beta2/3 server was up like 50% of time :)

Radamez
10-12-03, 15:36
"If nubies gets away that easily, perhaps they don't have attention span long enought for complex games or real intrest for game?"

True, however your average gamer has the mentality that the game has to impress them from the off,without fault,and are sceptical about parting with their cash..

If your first few minutes in the game are a nightmare due to bugs,you can only foresee having to deal with the same thing throughout your journey in the game,which is far from encouraging as a beginner.

Ofcourse those of us who gave it a chance fell in love with it,and we'd pretty much put up with anything the game throws at us.

- damn that was a bastard to type out,spilt tea on my keyboard and buggered it up,so i gotta use the onscreen one to type :(

EDIT: any advice for that btw? apart from waiting for it to dry out..

ReefSmoker
10-12-03, 15:53
Originally posted by LVirus
If nubies gets away that easily, perhaps they don't have attention span long enought for complex games or real intrest for game? I remember me biting my teeth and not calling KK names when in beta2/3 server was up like 50% of time :)

Maybe half the problem is folk being disrespectful and calling them 'nubies' or 'noob' and other such derogative terms. Try 'newcomer' - it's a lot more respectful. All in all the statement you've just made says the following :

'I'm leet because I've been around for ages and ages and I took all this shit during beta so if I took it they should too'

Wrong LV - you and I took all this shit throughout beta because we knew the product wasn't finished. Now the product is retail, has been for over a year now. People pay for it, they expect a product that is refined - especially after a whole year of it being available to buy.

Take care,

ReefSmoker

RayBob
10-12-03, 19:15
Yet another thread on the most common problem with the game and not a hint of recognition from KK. Sad.

Jest
10-12-03, 19:19
Heh, I was helping a newbie out yesterday and within 10 minutes of being in the city he fataled. When he logged back on he couldn't right click anything haha.

It sucks to see the bad before you see the good, which is why Mc5 needs so much work. But the player still seemed bright eyed and eager to play so that was good.

Radamez
10-12-03, 20:00
Originally posted by Jest
It sucks to see the bad before you see the good, which is why Mc5 needs so much work.

Mc5 needs removing is what it needs, nothing good has come from it.. and I dare say NC's population might look a little better now if it was never implemented..

Like alot of you, I find it very difficult to get my head around some of KK's ideas,and their inability to rectify things that are blatantly doing more harm than good..