View Full Version : Brainport: Melee poison mod

phunqe
09-12-03, 20:52
Mankind have been "modding" they melee weapons for ages with poison. Would it be a good idea to complement the variety (erhm) of mods available for melee weapons?

I for one think it would be very cool. Really gives something extra to melees, without overpowering them. You still need to get into the action, getting beaten like hell. Just something extra that makes it worth while. As it is now melee is fun, but isn't really rewarding for PvP :)

What do you think?

EDIT: NOOOOOO I wanted to make a poll... ack... mods please help me :(

Strych9
09-12-03, 20:59
Given the rate of attack of melees, and the fact they dont miss, and the fact there is no ammo- I am not sure a DOT mod would be a good idea for melee...

Now maybe just a one time bit of extra damage per attack...

Furion
09-12-03, 21:01
a dot mod like the flamers have (really fast ones) may be good, or insta dmg from the secondary mod.
it has been mentioned before, and its still an excellent idea :)

Flyl
09-12-03, 22:29
/me hands phunge a gold star

Krll
09-12-03, 22:33
Originally posted by Strych9
Given the rate of attack of melees, and the fact they dont miss, and the fact there is no ammo- I am not sure a DOT mod would be a good idea for melee...

But bearing in mind you have to close a huge gap with your target before being able to use the advantages mentioned, during which time you're getting hammered to buggery with bullets from your target...

-Krll

Strych9
09-12-03, 22:36
Originally posted by Krll
But bearing in mind you have to close a huge gap with your target before being able to use the advantages mentioned, during which time you're getting hammered to buggery with bullets from your target...

-Krll In PvP, yeah.. but would people consider a poison mod on a melee weapon a PvP concern?

In PvM I think its pretty easy to run up and get the first shot on any mob really. Unless I am way off on that, which I will agree is quite possible. :)

Krll
09-12-03, 22:39
Originally posted by Strych9
In PvP, yeah.. but would people consider a poison mod on a melee weapon a PvP concern?

In PvM I think its pretty easy to run up and get the first shot on any mob really. Unless I am way off on that, which I will agree is quite possible. :)

That's a good point I guess. :)

-Krll

t0tt3
09-12-03, 22:41
Why does posion allways hafto be DoT ? Why cant it give instant dmg or just lower DoT like a fire spell...

Funny thing last op war.. saw 7 STACKS!!!!!! and i have 15 por?!?!? eeeh why? ooh well I didnt go under 100 in health and just holy heal saved me... :lol: posion sucks :(

Mr Friendly
09-12-03, 22:47
yeah, yeah....somthin like a poison fang or somthin :D :D

Mr Friendly
09-12-03, 22:48
Originally posted by t0tt3
Why does posion allways hafto be DoT ? Why cant it give instant dmg or just lower DoT like a fire spell...

Funny thing last op war.. saw 7 STACKS!!!!!! and i have 15 por?!?!? eeeh why? ooh well I didnt go under 100 in health and just holy heal saved me... :lol: posion sucks :(

just 7? dat aint much :p

VetteroX
09-12-03, 22:59
I dont like it. melee will be powerful enough next patch, kk has to be careful with upgrades, because when they go too far everyone flys over to the new "big thing" your getting a 15% damge boost and better chances to hit, take it like it and stop asking for more and more and more like poison and immunity to parashock.

Scikar
09-12-03, 23:06
I think melee fully deserves a poison mod.

Heavyporker
09-12-03, 23:07
what a whiner.

melee does need mobs like poison for bladed weapons and heat for lasermods and maybe an "overload" mod for the tasers that makes them do high pure energy damage but no shocking...

g0rt
09-12-03, 23:09
Originally posted by VetteroX
I dont like it. melee will be powerful enough next patch, kk has to be careful with upgrades, because when they go too far everyone flys over to the new "big thing" your getting a 15% damge boost and better chances to hit, take it like it and stop asking for more and more and more like poison and immunity to parashock.

Actually, as for the poison mods, I think they should be on all weapons...why are we all putting in poison resists, just for one reason? (that is, poison beam, every other poison weapon is next to useless)

Heavyporker
09-12-03, 23:11
they shouldn't be on all weapons... just those that can reasonably warrant it.

Mumblyfish
09-12-03, 23:11
Melee needs DIVERSITY. That's the most important thing.

And I love your idea. I can't wait to snipe people, then have them run up to me expecting a n00b rifle spy, only to get a bazillion stacks of poison. HOOBIE HOOBIE HOOBIE!

Furion
09-12-03, 23:13
Originally posted by VetteroX
....melee will be powerful enough next patch....

melee got a 30% damage boost before, it was hardly noticeable...... i would hardly call melee powerful now, would u?

Strych9
09-12-03, 23:14
Hehe. Slap a bunch of poison stacks on someone, then stealth away. :)

Heavyporker
09-12-03, 23:18
actually, if melee DoT ever gets implemented, it would be similiar to the weapon poison DoT - 5 seconds as opposed to the PSI poison DoT of 27 seconds.

Oath
09-12-03, 23:19
Mods yes.

Poison no.

Mumblyfish
09-12-03, 23:21
Why no poison?

There has to be a reason for people to spec poison resist. Rather than everyone just make the same OMG UBER resists setup.

g0rt
09-12-03, 23:23
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
Why no poison?

There has to be a reason for people to spec poison resist. Rather than everyone just make the same OMG UBER resists setup.

Finally for once I agree with you.

Oath
09-12-03, 23:32
To put it simply.

I dont like the idea of tanks with poison.

Monks have poison spells, the reason why we dont spec poison resist is simple, it doesnt act quick enough, melee mods will/should act the same, but why not just give xray mods, or heatmods *yes its easy enough :p* i can see where oyoud come from with melee + poison, but i gotta say i dont like it at all.

Heavyporker
09-12-03, 23:39
doesn't act quick enough?! FFS, why do people keep thinking that?! melee poison would be weapon poison DoT *or* insta-hit poison like the dragonflies/chaos mob.

show me someone that can pop an antidote pill and have it work in time to take off a 5 second poison stack... and I'll show you a moron who wasted his time.

Oath
09-12-03, 23:42
Originally posted by Heavyporker
Show me someone that can pop an antidote pill and have it work in time to take off a 5 second poison stack... and I'll show you a moron who wasted his time.

*waves*

Please explain.......i'd like to know your reasoning behind this.

Heavyporker
09-12-03, 23:45
I just did. Read further back.

Agh, never mind, I won't strain you...

Melee weapons are not PSI - they are physical weapons, and hence, would follow the normal DoT rules for physical weapons - 5 second DoT...

Same as sniper rifles, shotguns, wargas/napalm modded flamers, colt pistols...

So.. poison WOULD work "fast enough" on bladed melee weapons if a poison mod were added for melee.

Oath
09-12-03, 23:57
Originally posted by Heavyporker
I just did. Read further back.

Agh, never mind, I won't strain you...

Melee weapons are not PSI - they are physical weapons, and hence, would follow the normal DoT rules for physical weapons - 5 second DoT...

Same as sniper rifles, shotguns, wargas/napalm modded flamers, colt pistols...

So.. poison WOULD work "fast enough" on bladed melee weapons if a poison mod were added for melee.

Nm, perhaps im just not reading closely enough.

Well, whatever.

Dont Mess
10-12-03, 00:21
Originally posted by Oath
To put it simply.

I dont like the idea of tanks with poison.

2 late man wen the rare flamer comes in 2 retail tanks will have all the posion they want

Shadow Dancer
10-12-03, 00:25
First let's see how melee turns out with the next patch. If it's "ok" or still not that great, then I'm in favor of a DOT poison mod.

Um, maybe melee blades can also have different types of poison mods that don't do damage but do something else. Like a venom that blocks off some of the healing on a target(if they are being healed atm). A venom that enflames the skin and makes it more vulnerable to fire(some bs rp excuse, :p).

Cyphor
10-12-03, 00:28
Id agree, however rather than dot dmg why not have poison dmg like in the chaos caves? Hard but no dot, might force people to actually spec a decent amount of poison resist.

Also its the only mod that can have a decent explanation as you can dip your knife in poison etc (mabey make it like ammo that can wear off your wep).

phunqe
10-12-03, 12:37
I took down a WBT on the testserver last night. Don't know if it's me, but the amount of time needed was the same compared to what I need on retail for a WBT.
This was with a PoB.

EDIT: Hmm this should be in the TS forum...