PDA

View Full Version : Idea for DoY, along the lines of making it less carebear.

VetteroX
09-12-03, 02:14
Well,MJS himself said DoY would be less carebear, so Im putting this idea up again. Im sure plenty of people are sick of people zoning to escape death, so when people zone, there should be a wait of 10 full seconds before they can. A timer of 10 seconds would go up one someone zones, and if they wished, they could exit this and not zone. Peaceful traveling would not be that hindered, I mean 10 seconds isnt that bad, and it would stop people escaping fights by zoning back and forth.

Syntax-Error
09-12-03, 02:23
For once i agree with you, its a exploit in my eyes

retr0n
09-12-03, 02:31
i like this idea in one way, but however, sometimes i spend alot of time
just running around being generaly bored :) so i wouldn't like this
but however, imo, they should do so when going from anrachy to
copbot watched zones and the other way around.... espeically
when they remove the copbots in pepper in the next patch... i
can just picture it now... people zoning like crazy

//Radium

evs
09-12-03, 02:37
nice idea in theory - but this seems very blinkered and mainly just for pepper park muppeting.

zoning into a bunch of DoY or mobs out in the wasteland is *not* fun in the slightest - and if you are hostile to DoY you are screwed.

your only real chance is to head back for the zone border.
with a 10 sec delay you'd have serious problems.

need's a better solution.

Rade
09-12-03, 02:40
evs - dont you find it sort of weird to avoid mad-hard mobs by
taking a sidestep and suddenly hes not there anymore? I donno,
I dont think zoning should be used to avoid combat, ever. This at
least helps a little in that direction. Good idea.

bounty
09-12-03, 02:40
I'm with EVS. This is definitely a problem, but your solution I don't think is gonna really be the definitive solution. Plus I couldn't imagine waiting the same amount of time it takes to log off for everytime i want to move to a different zone.

Rade
09-12-03, 02:43
bounty, you wouldnt wait everytime you zone, you just wouldnt
be able to zone again for 10 seconds after you zone. So normal
zoning wouldnt be affected, just zone-hopping, which is gay.
Sometimes people do just hop at a border to get away from a
attacker or after an OP fight, or just zone, move 10 meters, zone,
rince repeat. Very hard to follow people doing that gay shit. And
yes Ive done it as well, its nothing Im proud of.

VetteroX
Then we do it so its always a 10 second wait zoning from anarchy to safe zone, and make it so if you zone more then twice withing a short time in the wastes, you must wait like 30 seconds before you can zone again.

Dribble Joy
Ugh.
While I think the idea of having to choose to enter a zone is a good idea, sitting there for 10 (a LONG time) while they merrily pump away at you is a bit much.
Zoneing to a safe zone does suck, but treating them as criminals is probably unfair.
Safe zone are supposed to be SAFE, Ie. you run to the friendly copbot and tell him about the nasty people chasing you.
Removing safezones might help, you can still be shot and shoot, but a copbot may shoot you if you are anti city.
Doesn't help vs ganking much either.

bounty
Originally posted by Rade

The initial problems with zones themselves is that you cannot see up ahead. I don't think he's talking about so much avoiding dying by zoning, as he is avoiding certain mobs that he would normally avoid if he could see "through" the zone.

Don't you think its a little unfair for a /20 rank guy to be running then zone into a couple of y commanders? I have a feeling if he could see ahead, he would avoid those at all costs.

evs
09-12-03, 02:44

i'll spin it back on you then - should i not be able to see mobs over a zone line?

dont you find it weird to bump into mad-hard mobs by taking a sidestep and suddenly appearing in them?

as in all reality im technically only covering a metre of sand which happens to contain a zone line - and i should be able to see what mobs are ahead of me, so i can avoid or form a tactic to deal with.

but i cant - the game doesnt allow that.

It's not my fault i zone into 10 doy on a borderline.
if i could see them i would have avoided.

my only chance is to get back to the zone line in those very frequent situations.

i'd be all for it if you had an indication of what was over the zone line - but we sadly dont.

-------------------------------------------------

edit :

Then we do it so its always a 10 second wait zoning from anarchy to safe zone, and make it so if you zone more then twice withing a short time in the wastes, you must waste like 30 seconds before you can zone again.

yes i agree thats a better idea.

depends if they have to implement this as a zone wide change though, or the underground at ops would also be covered by this.

Rade
09-12-03, 02:44
blah I completely misunderstood vets idea, but how about this,
after you zone you cant zone again for a certain amount of time?

bounty
09-12-03, 02:45
bounty, you wouldnt wait everytime you zone, you just wouldnt
be able to zone again for 10 seconds after you zone. So normal
zoning wouldnt be affected, just zone-hopping, which is gay.
Sometimes people do just hop at a border to get away from a
attacker or after an OP fight, or just zone, move 10 meters, zone,
rince repeat. Very hard to follow people doing that gay shit. And
yes Ive done it as well, its nothing Im proud of.

ahh, okay i gotcha, yeah i love this idea then.

@rade yeah, your idea is much better imo. HOWEVER, i do feel sorry for the /20 rank player that zones into 2 y commanders. Him having to wait 10 seconds to zone out would make him a dead runner.

Jest
09-12-03, 02:45
The only time I zone when fighting is in PP, and usually me fighting several people at once. And even then I don't zone under 10 seconds. Would be a decent idea I suppose, would mainly be a disadvantage to the Pepper Park APU Poison Zoning Muppets. :mad:

Dribble Joy
09-12-03, 02:46

But you can't see the mobs before you zone, they are say 20m away but they arent in the zone, kinda poop.

How about making it only happen at safe zone boundries?
Have to register with the zone sensors/copbots etc?

ezza
09-12-03, 02:46
i actually like that idea

evs
09-12-03, 02:47
yeah the timed idea for certain zones is a good plan i think.

shouldnt be too hard to implement client side either - just the invisible 'wall' effect you get at the far reaches of the map should be enough.

Wilco
09-12-03, 02:48
Rade - dont you find it sort of weird that you don't see anything harmfull (even when watching)
and suddenly you're surrounded by a bunch of mad-hard mobs just by taking a sidestep?

SCNR, Wilco :angel:

EDIT: ok, that has been adressed already... your suggestion "but how about this, after you zone you cant zone again for a certain amount of time?" is quite good (if we don't run into problems due to lag/bugs with it)
/EDIT

Rade
09-12-03, 02:51
Originally posted by Wilco
Rade - dont you find it sort of weird that you don't see anything harmfull (even when watching)
and suddenly you're surrounded by a bunch of mad-hard mobs just by taking a sidestep?

SCNR, Wilco :angel:

Ok ok ok you all dont have to rub it in my face like a bazillion
times :p Its late so Ive stopped thinking before I post.

Wilco
09-12-03, 02:52
I'm sorry, look at my edited post :D

nonamebrandeggs
09-12-03, 02:54
No way. You all must know that bug, going into the non-black sync and coming out dead or with 40 health, when that happens you usually don't want to hang around for very long... If this idea went through whenever you get that sync bug you would be schrewed. Squash the bugs before making a change.

Rieper
09-12-03, 03:47
I'd agree to this... or having damage not work after zoning.. as far as im concerned poison spam and zone is even lamer than TL3 buffing.. you cant fight back.. and at 105 Rof they can get 8 or 9 stacks up before you take em to half health....

Lagos
09-12-03, 04:07

I think a better solution would be that a person who engaged in a fight can't zone for lets say 15 seconds after he put away his weapon.

this way someone who just wants to travel or whatever has nothing to fear, but it won't be possible to fuck with people and escape into another (safe)zone when they go after you.

edit: this should _only_ apply to safezones...if you would not be able to zone into war/anarchy zones after firing a weapon, you couldnt hunt someone down who just runs. but I think it would be great if you can't enter a safezone if you recently fired a weapon, would make sense too (from a cop's point of view ^^)

greets, Lagos.

Psyco Groupie
09-12-03, 04:11
when you zone infront of 10 y reps u kinda wanna zone back, even elitist twats like yourself ... just stop spamming for pepper park inprovements and lets paly some nc yeah ?