PDA

View Full Version : Equilibrium = Neocron?

garyu69
08-12-03, 17:11
Watched Equilibrium for the second time last night and it reminded me of how much it reminds me of Neocron.
Anyone else get this? The City is surrounded by walls and is enclosed, like NC, and the outer areas are called the Nether Regions, Same as our Wastelands.
There is a Person who rules all called Father (Lion Rezza?) and all around the city are screens on the walls with Pro Father Talk, just like in NC with all the talking and signs.

There is so much that can be linked to NC. Its pretty cool, but not the best film I have seen in the world, but check it out.

Dribble Joy
08-12-03, 17:12
Have you read 1984?

Duder
08-12-03, 17:13
Uhm no, you could say some spanish town thats walled up could be linked to NC then....

Equilibrium is a fine movie, but nothing to do with NC.

Archeus
08-12-03, 17:14
I thought it was more like Farenheight 359 (or whatever the name was -_- ).

Gun Cleric class would be nice though. Kind of a Pistol PPU.

Duder
08-12-03, 17:15
Originally posted by Archeus
I thought it was more like Farenheight 359 (or whatever the name was -_- ).

Gun Cleric class would be nice though. Kind of a Pistol PPU.

You mean a PE...?

08-12-03, 17:17
Originally posted by Dribble Joy
Have you read 1984?

Very good book.

garyu69
08-12-03, 17:19
Originally posted by Duder
Equilibrium is a fine movie, but nothing to do with NC. :rolleyes:
I'm not saying that they got the idea from NC or anything.
Just that it has sections that are similar, how can some spanish town with a wall round it be compared to that o_O

Never read books. Might look at 1984 though, is it good then?

Duder
08-12-03, 17:22
Originally posted by garyu69
:rolleyes:
I'm not saying that they got the idea from NC or anything.
Just that it has sections that are similar, how can some spanish town with a wall round it be compared to that o_O

No, im just saying that Equilbrium hasnt a very strong connection to Neocron, just because its a dystopian world and its walled (hell, you cant even see the Neocron walls) and has a cleric order that thank god does not cast buffs or lightning from their hands, does not make it "related" to Neocron in such remarkable ways...

08-12-03, 17:24

Never read books. Might look at 1984 though, is it good then?
It's one of the best books I read so far.

garyu69
08-12-03, 17:30
No, im just saying that Equilbrium hasnt a very strong connection to Neocron, just because its a dystopian world and its walled (hell, you cant even see the Neocron walls) and has a cleric order that thank god does not cast buffs or lightning from their hands, does not make it "related" to Neocron in such remarkable ways... Its an observation that a lot of it is similar to things in NC.

Enclosed City
Wasteland outside of city
Constant promotion of the leader
electronic signs everywhere
Judgung law system
Different Classes of people
breakaway groups from the city

true enough you could make a much larger list with things that are non related. :angel:

Richard Adregen
08-12-03, 17:31
You never read books? Damn... let's see, good books:
Neuromancer by William Gibson,
1984 (Wasn't it Orwell that wrote that?)
Dune, by Frank Herbert... There are many more good books, but you should REALLY read stuff, it's well worth it, imo.

RA.

L0KI
08-12-03, 17:33
Have you read 1984?

haha

Classic! :lol:

PS - Fantastic book

garyu69
08-12-03, 17:37
I've never had the patience to sit down with a book and actually read, its not that i haven't tried because i have. But my attention goes elsewhere i end up doing something else.

The only book i have ever managed to read and enjoy is Of Mice And Men.
Might try 1984, Girfriend said that was good too, she is a damn English Uni Student so thinks i should read too.

I usually just read factual stuff on the internet or in mags etc

Dribble Joy
08-12-03, 17:39
Kids these days :rolleyes:

You will find 1984 (written in about the 50s i think) basically the basis of equilibrium.

Marx
08-12-03, 17:42
Originally posted by Archeus
Farenheight 359

*cough* 451 *cough

08-12-03, 17:56
There is a Person who rules all called Father

But they all wanted to call him a Mother........

Was a good film, not great though, just good (sorry but I'm getting a bit jaded with the 'one man army' sequences in films now)

[TgR]KILLER
08-12-03, 18:06
Have you read 1984?

i was born then O.o but don't know what u meen tho..

there are more movies that remind me of nc but can't remember em.. they had everything.. even aggies ^^

Dribble Joy
08-12-03, 18:07
You haven't even HEARD of 1984?

omg

it's a book, you shall go read it now.

[TgR]KILLER
08-12-03, 18:10
soz DJ i'm @ work just spamming forums :angel: and work after this work.. i shall look tonight.. between meh cst and repping

jernau
08-12-03, 18:19
Kids these days :rolleyes:

You will find 1984 (written in about the 50s i think) basically the basis of equilibrium.

1948, there's a hint in the name ;)

dbomb
08-12-03, 18:23
Uhm no, you could say some spanish town thats walled up could be linked to NC then....

Equilibrium is a fine movie, but nothing to do with NC.

theres german towns that are all walled up too, theyre pretty cool but full of japanese tourists

Bob Monkhouse
08-12-03, 18:46
Everyone should read 1984. More importantly, everyone should try to understand the concepts in it that make it so frightening........

I really do worry for the future when all our kids are obsessed with text messaging and "leet" speak........ NOT a doubleplus good situation.

L0KI
08-12-03, 18:50
There was a actually an English film of the Book 1984. The book is MUCH, MUCH better, but the film is very good to for those of you whom cannot/will not/fuck not read :p

The film i believe was made in the 60's or seventies, but i found it online and bought it from amazon actually. This was 3 or 4 years ago mind you....

Newspeak > 1337 speak

Dribble Joy
08-12-03, 18:52
Converting a book which deals with the mind, feelings thought and concepts like that in 1984, to film format will allways be problematic. I have seen the film, but it was years ago and I can't really remember it.

bounty
08-12-03, 18:53
I don't read fiction, if you want some truley scary stuff read, "The Last Three Minutes" by P.C.W. Davies, Carl Sagan's "Billions and Billions." Not as involved as his other books, but he goes into real reasons why "1984" could be just around the corner.

greendonkeyuk
08-12-03, 19:20
1984 is orwellian and was written in 1948 as it happens. The story i was told was that orwell went into some deep contemplation around new years eve time about what the future would be like etc and came up with the parody of life in the future that is this book. Dont quote me on that but my english teacher told me that. the film is "ok" as far as it goes, its got john hurt in it, he plays the lead male role. the rest of the characters i dont recognise, the woman needs a shave though (those whove seen it will know what i mean :eek: )

Equilibrium i thought was ok at best, loved the gun kata stuff as i used to do karate myself and know how impressive that stuff looks when its performed properly and i guess i can appreciate it more from that experience. the plot i thought was a little weak but i did like the bit with the little boy at the end. again if people havent seen it i wont ruin the plot. as it happens there was a german crahn clan on uranus that had one of their clan ranks as grameten klerik or somethin like that. it made me laugh as i was gonna ask rabb to change syndicate ranks to that but he was on leave of absence so i forgot. :mad:

Tratos
09-12-03, 02:07
Equlibrium = Nice Film.

and damn it

/me adds 1984 to new books i want list.

somtimes i think i read far to many books for a 15 year old o_O lol

~T

Rieper
09-12-03, 03:18
1984 is orwellian you say? :p :p

Dissenter
09-12-03, 13:32
there are more movies that remind me of nc but can't remember em.. they had everything.. even aggies ^^

Judge Dredd

That has been brought up a few times, as it has a Warbots type thing, and aggie type people. The city is again closed off and ruled by a dictator, stuff like that.

[TgR]KILLER
09-12-03, 13:44
ow mixing up 2 films :p ment another.. with arni in the lead role

Dissenter
09-12-03, 13:51
total recall?

lots of dodgy mutants in that

MarsFreak
09-12-03, 14:03
imho the most important influences for equilibrium were (in no particular order)

George Orwell - 1984 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0582777313/ref=sr_aps_books_1_1/026-1977181-7297211)
Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0006546064/qid=1070970123/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/026-1977181-7297211)
Aldous Huxley - Brave New World (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0006545793/qid=1070970230/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_2_1/026-1977181-7297211)

(/me hopes those links actually work... and no I am not affiliated to amazon :p )

the first two are available as movies too, so there's no excuse to not know them :wtf:

Imho Brave New World with its "Soma" drug comes closest to Equilibrium

there were also a few very interesting (short-)stories written in the 50-70s on dictatories and absolutistic rulership ("I have no mouth, but I want to scream", comes to my mind, though I cannot see a connection to the topic myself ;) )

yes, there is some resemblence between neocron and equilibrium, but a lot of post apocalyptic flicks have huge cities surrounded by thick walls

EDIT: brazil is also a masterpiece on the subject "governmental oppression"

Dissenter
09-12-03, 14:07
there were also a few very interesting (short-)stories written in the 50-70s on dictatories and absolutistic rulership ("I have no mouth, but I want to scream", comes to my mind, though I cannot see a connection to the topic myself )

Possibly some kind of representation of the adverse outcome of WW2?

Than again people try and say the about everything, Lord of the Flies, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars blah blah blah

Richard Adregen
09-12-03, 15:18
Originally posted by Tratos
Equlibrium = Nice Film.

and damn it

/me adds 1984 to new books i want list.

somtimes i think i read far to many books for a 15 year old o_O lol

~T

Don't worry about it Tratos... I've a small pile of books by my bed. All the time. I read about 1 book each week, if it's a more complex book or a very thick one I finish it in 2 weeks. And I'm 15 (Happy birthday to me on the 15th of December!!!). And I'm Dutch. And I only read English books. I HATE reading Dutch books, dunno why... they just don't appeal to me, I prefer English books more.

RA.