PDA

View Full Version : ZoneAlarm firewall incompatibility with Neocron

boneybob
08-12-03, 12:26
Iv had Zone Alarm for some time now, and personaly i think its brilliant, possibly the best fire wall i have ever seen.

Any way, i recently downloaded the latest patch for ZoneAlarm after it recomended i did so.
Unfortunaitly, this patch seems to have caused MASSIVE incompatibility problems with Neocron, but not in a way i have ever seen before.

Yes, Client.exe is enabled (otherwise how have i been playing on NC for the last year without any problems)
No, i dont think the problems have any thing to do with Neocrons latest patch.

But get this, (this is the fun bit) the problem is this......
When i run NC in fullscreen mode it gets to the log-in screen and you type in your user name and password, you press enter and then BLUGH! thats it NC freezes up good and propper, in fact some times not even Ctrl-Alt-Delete can get rid of client.exe it just compleatly locks the computer.

And then if i run NC in windows mode it works fine?!?!?

it sounds like the ZoneAlarm fire wall is locking up client.exe because of some change made to eather NC or the fire wall, but if this were true why dose NC work fine in windows mode (and pluss ZoneAlarm dosent ask me/tell about and problems it might be having, and it usualy informs me of problems very efieciently).

BB

MkVenner
08-12-03, 12:28
yeah i heard that the new ZA patch fooks up NC so i aint downloaded it...tho the damn thing wont stop telling me i shud:p

[TgR]KILLER
08-12-03, 12:28
i think i saw the zonealarm can't work with nc thing some time now.. sollution don't use a firewall :p the world is to paranoid as it is.. i had a firewall for a month or so way back.. but never used one in the last year..

boneybob
08-12-03, 12:29
were did u hear the ZA patch messes up NC?

dam, i wish i could have known.:(

BB

Dardalion
08-12-03, 12:31
I had Zone Alarm and never had problems, but recently I changed to BlackIce 2.9 (Free with Computer Shopper) and still no problems

MkVenner
08-12-03, 12:31
in here i think and in game a m8 in my cxlan dled it and it foked him up so i didnt

boneybob
08-12-03, 12:35
i wonder if it would be posible to get an offical responce (suggestion/fix).

Also, i know win XP has a "role-back" facility, i wonder if it can be utilized to remove the ZA patch.

The other thing is i donw realy want to uninstall the dam thing because it would mean re-configuring it. 8| o_O

BB

[TgR]KILLER
08-12-03, 12:37
Ow yea thats what i used back then.. blackice.. just an older version tho.. and used another firewall next to it. tho can't remember what :p

LTA
08-12-03, 13:36
i use the older version of Kerio...

rox0r5

Rade
08-12-03, 13:43
Originally posted by [TgR]KILLER
Ow yea thats what i used back then.. blackice.. just an older version tho.. and used another firewall next to it. tho can't remember what :p

mmm.. black ice.. gotta love firewall coders that read too much
william gibson :D The question we are all asking ourselves right
now; can it kill you?

garyu69
08-12-03, 13:50
The new Zone Alarm only allows Neocron to work when in Windowed mode

Archeus
08-12-03, 13:50
Originally posted by Dardalion
I had Zone Alarm and never had problems, but recently I changed to BlackIce 2.9 (Free with Computer Shopper) and still no problems

The latest version of ZA and ZAP have a known issue with them. The workaround (according to zonelabs) is not to upgrade to the latest version.

As for Blackice, it is not a firewall and it is not that good.

boneybob
08-12-03, 14:01
GOD DAM IM GOOD!

iv found the problem!

in one of the latest NC patches their was a script introduced called "True Vector", this SCRIPT only runs when the game acctivates in fullscreen mode. True Vector calls out over ZA after you enter your user name and password and click ENTER (but only when running in full screen mode).

ZA FREEZES!!! because the script called True Vector is trying to send/recive information, but it canoth be enabled in ZA programs menus and you wont find it if you search you NC folder on your HDD, why? because its a SCRIPT!!!!!!!!!!

the script confuses the hell out of ZA which promptly freezes and then NC freezes as it waits for a responce to True Vector.

So True Vector must be some kind of grafix option when running full screen.
And ZA can do Script (or it cant do this script), because its not a true program it wont ask you if you want to let it past so it just freezes everything! (NC and ZA)

thats the explination, now for a solution.

PLEASE KK/FM/GMs give me some feed back!

BB

Nidhogg
08-12-03, 14:30
"True Vector" is a component of Zone Alarm and nothing at all to do with Neocron.

N

boneybob
08-12-03, 14:45
DOH!

well thank you Nidhogg for the response.

the reason i previously came to this conclusion was when i was purposefull crashing ZA to see if i could find out whatthe problem was, it cam up with a box, just a flash for a couple of seconds saying something like "True Vector response" and their were more words as well, but it went before i could read them.

:/

BB

CoDi
08-12-03, 15:06
http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?threadid=83333
http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?threadid=83611

Dardalion
08-12-03, 15:16
Originally posted by Archeus

As for Blackice, it is not a firewall and it is not that good.

Really ? I wonder why it says Firewall on the case then :rolleyes:

I prefer it to Zonealarm which is what matters most 'My prefernce'

Archeus
08-12-03, 15:39
Originally posted by Dardalion
Really ? I wonder why it says Firewall on the case then :rolleyes:

I prefer it to Zonealarm which is what matters most 'My prefernce'

Well it may of changed since the disaster of a program it used to be.

A firewall controls what goes in and out of your machine. Blackice (at least the paid for commercial version I had) only blocks incoming connections and some trojans.

The problem here was if the trojan got onto your machine after getting by blackice (eg, email or some other bug) then blackice treated it as a legitimate program.

After my UO account got hacked, I checked my machine and I had a trojan on a machine which Blackice let carry on its business as if nothing was happening. With zone alarm it didn't detect it as a trojan but did say "Hey this program is doing something, want to let it?".

What pissed me off so much about Blackice and UO was that Origin actually actively campaigned it as the firewall as choice.

Of course they may of actually written a proper firewall since then, but that cockup cost them my business.

Spy XX
08-12-03, 15:44
i had ZA for several month, but now i use kerio firewall, its free + its a lot better :D

LVirus
08-12-03, 15:45
Why bother give precious CPU and memory to firewall or antivir programs when you can surf smart :D

Nidhogg
08-12-03, 15:59
Since this issue has already been addressed in the bugtracker I'm going to close this thread.

N