PDA

View Full Version : Networking help

MkVenner
08-12-03, 02:20
ok i got me a PC wit ha NTL external broadband modem and a Laptop...and i wanna network em so they can both run off the same connection...and i dont know jack about computers cept how to press the buttons...can sum 1 point me to a site that has a REALLY easy to understand tutorial or something like that

thanks

rob444
08-12-03, 03:39
Sharing internet connection over LAN:

Start>Setting>Network & Dial-up Connections>

right click the internet connection there and select properties.

[windows 2000]
there is a tab called "Sharing", go there, check the box. Press OK until properties window is down.

[windows xp]
I think there was a tab called "Security", in there you can check a box to enable internet sharing. Press OK until properties window is down.

on the client(s), start>run> type in cmd.exe [return]

type inside console window:

ipconfig /renew

wait...

when done, surf!

MkVenner
08-12-03, 11:39
ok thanks...one problem what parts do i need to buy ie routers etc...and i got no clue what a router is my m8 sez i need 1

Elric
08-12-03, 11:42
Assuming your on Windows XP

Hit F1 or click on Help.

Go to the networking section.

Read.

Surprisingly enough the instructions and information they provide in a help file IS actually useful O_o I swear thats a first for Microsoft.

flyjedi
08-12-03, 11:44
crossover cable between the pc's might be usefull as well if you don't have a switch/hub

MkVenner
08-12-03, 12:14
cheers

dbomb
08-12-03, 12:32
Originally posted by flyjedi
crossover cable between the pc's might be usefull as well if you don't have a switch/hub
wouldnt he need 2 network cards in probably the pc because it can easily hold two, one for the modem to connect to and one for the cross over to connect to the laptop?

a router would be much simpler

[TgR]KILLER
08-12-03, 12:49
a router would be simpler imo.. but @ home i just got the internet con to my game pc ( downstairs ) and a 20 meter cable running true the house all the way up to my room.. just 1 nic in both pc's put internet con on share @ your internet pc and put in ip's 192.168.0.1 downstairs and 192.168.0.2 upstairs easy does it =)

dbomb
08-12-03, 16:30
is your modem internal then? if not how is it connected to your pc?

[TgR]KILLER
08-12-03, 17:05
i got a cute usb modem :p

MkVenner
08-12-03, 20:23
my modem is external, it connects to my PC via a USB cable and plugs into a NTL box in the wall

MkVenner
10-12-03, 16:14
ok i think i get it now i need:

A broadband router/sitch/Access point (from linksys) 4 port ill do

A broadband wireless network card for the lap top

1 thing...can i connect the PC to the Router using a cable even
tho its a wireless router? And what cables will i need? ok 1 more thing can i use the USB cable that connects my Modem to my PC to connect the Modem to the Router

Thanks for all the help people sorry if im bing a pest

dbomb
11-12-03, 09:55
well if the wireless router has rj45 ports on it yes you can connect the pc to it using a straight through cable.

and i dont think you will be able to plug a usb cable into the router

MkVenner
11-12-03, 11:06
yeah i gotta use Ethernet...ok i got it all sorted just gotta save up the money....cheers for all the help