PDA

View Full Version : [Pluto] The Nimrod Club

Kimiko
07-12-03, 00:38
This poll is to find out how many people would be interested in the following idea, something to possibly spice up Pluto (and possibly other servers in the future)

The idea:

Two names are randomly drawn from a list of willing runners. These two runners are informed by a neutral party of their enemy, and are then led to different locations on the NC map. Once released they are told which sector they each start in, and then they have a set amount of time to find and kill each other.

This is the Nimrod Club.

The rules (most likely to be expanded upon)

1. You must kill the other person alone. You may not enlist nor receive aid from any other runners or GM's.
2. One runner will have to kill the other, else both runners are hunted down and killed by willing parties (enforcers for the Nimrod club)
3. All players partaking in the Game must be teamed - No SL loss is wanted, nor are factions applicable here - this isnt politics, its a game.
4. Items dropped will be returned.
5. Only the runners involved in the current game will know who is playing and where - the two hunters, their two adjudicators and the organiser.

This is a very rough draft of rules, and I am open to suggestions. If possible, I would like neutral runners following the two hunters to ensure that they are adhering to the rules. (Possibly even GMs)

Comments/Questions?

Psycho Killa
07-12-03, 00:49
Only problem I see is if they have to be teamed it would be impossible to sneak up on someone since they would see the arrow pop up on there screen pointing right towards them.

You can use droners to follow the parties to make sure they dont get help since they can use scout drones high in the air and watch. This is just to make it so someone following the runners doesnt accidently give away there posistion since its awfully hard to spot a scout drone way in the air.

Kimiko
07-12-03, 00:53
It could be confined to a single war zone, in which case teaming wouldnt be necessary. Would also narrow down the search area I guess.

The adjudicators wouldnt really need to be invisible - theyre only there to watch and make sure they dont get buffs from other runners etc. I cant see a problem with the hunters seeing them.

The two adjudicators can keep in contact and so not be seen by the opposing hunter.

Shadow Dancer
07-12-03, 00:54
I like the idea alot.

evs
07-12-03, 01:04
It's a decent idea - needs loads of work though

stuff like ppu's / stealthers should be banned

also what if a pistol pe gets drawn against an apu?

essentially you have made this a 1v1 with the entire sector as an arena

its good in theory - but the battles will be a case of whoever sees the other 1st

or if your a range player - whoever camps the best

i still think that an nc betting system would be great, 1v1 at battledome - and bets / odds are placed beforehand

would take a modicum of security / fairplay from people trying to bet - but certainly doable

REMUS
07-12-03, 02:49
it would be ok if there were more than 2 runners, or maybe teams but either way i dont think it would work to well, unless the runners where given a week to kill each other for a prize or somthing?

for instance both runners pay 500k the winner takes 1 mill, they have to do the kill and take a screenie of the body/pack in a set time for instance 3 days or they both loose their money.

Lareolan
07-12-03, 03:01
Intriguing concept... Though it would be a bit tough to properly monitor this. There will always be cheaters (using DMs for instance which cannot be monitored by adjudicators). Crashes and zoning bugs will also not make it very easy to find the other person especially if there is a large distance between the players.

But if you can solve or diminish all of the technical issues involved, kudos, would be a rather cool idea.

Zu (Pluto)
07-12-03, 12:58
There will always be problems in monitoring this type of events, and they will always be people who cheat. But I think the best thing to do is run on trust - trust that people who participate are in it for the fun (OK, so I always feel the best way to do things is to trust people). If they turn out to be bad eggs, exclude them.

evs. The balancing issue isn't so bad. Providing people are roughly in the same league, it will be interesting. So what they one side is stronger than the other? Win some, lose some - and you gain some experience in tackling a more powerful foe.

I think this is a good idea.

You missed one rule:

6) You must not talk about the Nimrod Club :p

Zu

boone
07-12-03, 15:46
sounds fun to me.

Rade
07-12-03, 15:48
I like it alot and Im game. It needs a bit of fiddling with so it
doesnt become boring. Ill look into it tonight when I have time :)

**edit: Also I dont really see a problem with cheating since it
would be a excluse club and if someone does it he/she will get
banz0red from the club. All such problems can be handled ingame
in a RP fashion and.

**edit again: I dont see this is being an "event" as much as
maybe something ongoing, every now and then one of the higher
ups in nimrod can call a fight and then the members have to come
(if not impossible, ie leaving for work in 2 mins)

Judge
07-12-03, 16:59
Why should stealthers be banned evs? That would basically make monks and tanks alot better than Spies and PEs. This is one field where a spy might actually beat an APU monk. Taking them down with a few SH hits from a distance.

EDIT: I also love the idea of both the competitors being followed by scout drones... this would also give make it really easy to film the hunt, using fraps or something.... Would be great to watch afterwards.

Kimiko
07-12-03, 20:29
One point I'd like to make: You can use any means at your disposal to defeat the other person. You just cannot obtain any help from others.

G.0.D.
07-12-03, 20:37
I think it would make things much more interesting if you didnt tell the person who he was hunting ^_^

"Hello there"
BlAMOOO
"arrrhg"

"Good sir why did you kill him?"
Kabmlomoeisosseeo!
"awwwreeerwefwerf"

-You start to reload
Kabooom
-A kami drone explodes in your face

You lose 10 life

EDIT: On a less spamtastic note
It would be interesting if you could organise clan wars in the industrial areas of neocron (outzone) A little urban clan warfare would really kick ass. Hell you could get gms to play hostigas or somthing to make an objective

VetteroX
07-12-03, 20:52
if stealth is in, and 2 pes fight, nobody will ever win. whoever is losing the fight will just keep stealthing away, heal and come back. over and over and over. I think some sort of restriction has to be put on stealth if your gonna have interesting fights.

MegaCorp
07-12-03, 22:52
A time limit might help when two stealther's fight, unless they are happy with a draw; the notion being that as the time limit gets close to expiring they might start taking greater risks to win. And/or perhaps if some sort of prize, however modest, was offered to the winner it would also encourage enough risk taking that even a two stealther contest would have a winner. Keep working on The Nimrod Club idea, i think you may have something interesting there.

The idea is similar to my own "hunter and prey" game. When any loud mouth tank gloated how uber he was and how he could fry my ass in neofrag i would offer him the chance to come out to an empty zone and play *my* game. The rules were simple: neither could leave the zone until one had died, and no help (of any kind) from others was permitted.

They'd usually go quiet for a moment as they worked out the implications, then they'd go elsewhere to boast ... being a stealthy sniper, it puts tanks at such a disadvantage that they never took up my challenge. A fair turnabout to Neofrag. ;)

Spook

Rade
07-12-03, 23:52
Originally posted by VetteroX
if stealth is in, and 2 pes fight, nobody will ever win. whoever is losing the fight will just keep stealthing away, heal and come back. over and over and over. I think some sort of restriction has to be put on stealth if your gonna have interesting fights.

Nah, just use DB, eventually taking DB drugs from inv takes
precious time if youre on a stealth1 and those buggers give hella
drugflash. Ive killed lots of stealth-whore PEs this way and Ive
been killed this way as well. No biggie really.

Jest
08-12-03, 03:29
Would be even better if the 'local person box' didn't exist. :p And I would share Vet's concerns about the stealthing issue but it can definitely be handled. Archeus has an event like this, except it was a every body hunt him event. :D

All in all it sounds like a movie. Like some twisted rich man kidnaps two people and tells them only one goes home alive, but they end up banding together to fight the evil rich man, and they kill him, and take his money, and each of them gets a hot girl, which are the rich mans twin daughters... errr eh, never mind...

Shadow Dancer
08-12-03, 03:33
Originally posted by Jest

All in all it sounds like a movie. Like some twisted rich man kidnaps two people and tells them only one goes home alive, but they end up banding together to fight the evil rich man, and they kill him, and take his money, and each of them gets a hot girl, which are the rich mans twin daughters... errr eh, never mind...

O_o

Anyways, what about limiting the number of times a person can stealth?

Kimiko
08-12-03, 19:45
The idea is you can use anything at your disposal. That includes stealth.

If people who want to take part email me ingame or via my email address: nanasawa_kimiko@hotmail.com with your character name, class, and any type of character you do not want to fight.

This last bit will allow you to choose whether or not you want to fight a PPU, or a stealth PE. BUT - it will also limit the amount of matches you get into.

Entrance fees and prizes - along with possible tournaments - may be coming in the future.

Right now its all about killing the other person with your own two metaphorical hands.

greendonkeyuk
08-12-03, 20:06
Originally posted by Jest
Would be even better if the 'local person box' didn't exist. :p And I would share Vet's concerns about the stealthing issue but it can definitely be handled. Archeus has an event like this, except it was a every body hunt him event. :D

sounds like a smart film. :lol:

are there any limits on rank? ie my pe is pretty noobish on pluto but id like to take part. hes /50 ranked (cant remember the other rank).

Thanks

p.s

spook that story rocks.

Kimiko
08-12-03, 20:47
Theres no limit to rank, and you are paired with another runner of similar skill rank. Basically I'll try and get the players as even as possible.

The Nimrod Club was the title of a short sci-fi story (I forget the author) about a group of friends whose lives had become boring - so they thought up the club to give their lives some meaning. The first pair set down on a planet about 2km away from each other, with a small shuttle full of weapons, devices, armor etc - both identical. It was down to the skill and cunning of the hunter to overcome his foe - using their knowledge of the enemy to better their chances.

Needless to say the main character judged his friend very well - he expected him to be camped out with a scanning device waiting. After loading up with undetectable weapons, and covering himself to conceal his body heat, he sneaks up on his friend sitting in front of a fire. Firing his weapon into his friends back, he leaps into the clearing, thinking he's one...

Yet from the edge of the trees came his friends apology, and the hum of a laser.

- I still cant find the original book, but thats where the idea came from :)

There is/was a real Nimrod club I think, Nimrod meaning "hunter". Afaik, it was an upperclass hunting club, though the other meaning of nimrod is "foolish"...

Shadow Dancer
08-12-03, 20:48
Did they kill each other?

Kimiko
08-12-03, 21:14
The guy sitting at the edge of the trees killed the main character - he used his knowledge against him. The main character thought his friend was going to sit tight and wait - so the friend set up a dummy and waited in the trees.

For all interested in playing, here is the info I need:

• Your name (doesnt have to be your real one - forum will do)
• Your CHARACTER(s) names, and their servers (Pluto only at the moment)
• Their character class, and what weapons they can use. (Rifle PE, Droner SPY, Hybrid etc)
• The characters SKILL rank (the second set /xx)
• Whether they can use stealth. (Not whether you use it normally, but whether or not they actually CAN use it - if you say "no" and use stealth in the fight, you will be removed)
• Which type of characters you do not want to face (PPU, stealth droning spy, stealth pistol PE, melee tank)

Shadow Dancer
08-12-03, 21:16
He killed him? But they were friends.......... o_O

Rade
08-12-03, 21:19
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer
He killed him? But they were friends.......... o_O

Strange how friends do that at times *grin*

Kimiko
08-12-03, 21:43
I forgot to mention one thing regarding the original Nimrod Club story.

If one of them did not die, the rest of the club would hunt down both of them and kill them.

Better?

Shadow Dancer
08-12-03, 21:57
I think their psychos.

I wouldn't hunt down my friends for sport, even if it was consentual. o_O

Rade
08-12-03, 22:29
Who are you trying to fool? Everyone knows that you dont have
any friends...

Mingerroo
08-12-03, 22:46
I like the idea a lot :) Also, there should be two "action cams" droners who record what they see on their drones using one of the many output recording programs (like GoD uses). Very well executed idea. The SL loss thing should be an option that the runners agree upon, from the three settings of "warzone, teamed, or SL loss".

Also, how will you deal with runners being killed during the game by foreign parties? I.E. I'm going for a fight with FlashFF but BRTF see me and because I'm KoS they destroy me...

Are there going to be rules for that?

And finally, what if someone logs off? Will they be hunted? And will they be allowed to explain that they crashed? If so, couldn't that system be abused?

Mingoo

Rade
08-12-03, 22:48
Droners with scout drones and FRAPS, way neat :D

Kimiko
08-12-03, 23:04
The fights will only be announced to the two adjudicators (droners if poss) and the runners themselves. If any clan stumbles across the fighters then the adjudicators will message them to keep away - if they dont, then the fight will be restarted and all members of that clan will be barred from the Nimrod Club.

As far as crashing is concerned - there is no way to monitor this at all - if someone disconnects for an extended period of time however it counts as a loss for them. All this will be discussed before each fight.

If a person has to quit a fight because of other reasons (personal reasons for example - parents) then the fight is simply canceled with no winner. The person cancelling will however not be included in a certain number of draws to prevent abuse of this.

Rade
08-12-03, 23:06
I sorta like the thought of mobs and other runners being a factor
you have to take in account for :) *shrug*

Kimiko
08-12-03, 23:11
We'll try and keep other runners out of the picture - as said the location and time of the fight are not released so the chance is reduced.

Mobs are simply a hazard to be overcome. If you cant get around a warbot thats your fault :p

Shadow Dancer
09-12-03, 06:44
Originally posted by Rade
Who are you trying to fool? Everyone knows that you dont have
any friends...

:lol:

Anyways, I think this should be held in warzones.

JackScratch
09-12-03, 07:42
"the first rule of the Nimrod club is, no one talks about the nimrod club."

.Cyl0n
09-12-03, 07:49
good idea sexy :p :)

imma come and join with my hybrid for sure ;)

.cy

Artie
09-12-03, 09:41
the place should be decided "right" before it's held, as certain gankers might want to come in...=\

I suggest having certain zones being randomly chosen 10 minutes before the match. Just a idea. ^_^

Mingerroo
09-12-03, 10:26
Guh, now i have to create and level a new rifle spy (deleted my old one when I quit) to join in this awesome compo :D

I may be a while but I'll get there eventually.

Mingoo

Kimiko
09-12-03, 15:20
Originally posted by Kimiko
...location and time of the fight are not released so the chance is reduced...

Only the two hunters, their two adjudicators and one or two organisers will know the time and location of the fight - and the location only minutes before the fight.