PDA

View Full Version : FPS and NC:BDoY

ElfinLord
05-12-03, 21:04
Since MJS doesn't want us to discuss FPS and NC:BDoY in the other thread, I figured I would start one where we can discuss it.

Anyway, I am not too worried about how my performance will be. If it's shit I will just upgrade. I mean, afterall, I built this PC just so I could play NC a little better anyway.

I don't have the greatest set up in the world and I don't get outstanding FPS, but it's playable enough for me.

Here is my FPS breakdown on average:

Apartment: 90 to 100
Neocron City: 50 to 60
Plaza 1: 30 to 40 (15 or so people on screen)
Wastelands: 40 to 60 (my GF got 90 once ripping apart 3 warbies:D)
Outpost War: never been to one :(

I generally lose from 5 to 15 FPS with all in-game windows open in any of the above areas.

My usual setup:

Win XP Pro (all updates)
Athlon XP 2800+ (operating at 2.2 GHz)
1GB Corsair TWINX PC2700 Dual Channel DDR
Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce 2 mobo
Seagate Barracuda 80GB Serial ATA HDD
nVIDIA GeForce FX5600 non-Ultra 256 MB vid card
Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1 GameSurround sound card
HP Pavillion mx70 17in. monitor (1280 x 1024 res at 60Hz :( Need new monitor)
Onboard LAN
400 W Antec PSU

So, anyway, like I said, I am not worried about problems with NC:BDoY. If I need to be able to play better I will upgrade. Of course I understand that not everyone can afford to upgrade their PC's just to play a game, and that's unforunate for them.

In any case, what do you all think? Is it really going to be that big of a problem with the "polishing" and everything for your systems?

Also, I was looking at some of the posts in the thread from those who are not getting the greatest performance and recalling from other posts in the past, and it was seeming to me that those with better performance, even with slower CPU speeds, were using AMD processors. Is this true, or am I delusional?

Let me know what you all think.

BTW, Long Live Neocron!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Promethius
05-12-03, 21:11
IMHO if you have FPS problems.....thers no way i would be even ABLE to consider playin lol.

40-50 in plaza 1 with 15 people?

on my ends its 9-15 fps with 15 people

RuButt
05-12-03, 21:14
ur speccs are like.... not crap if u think that....

errr

stop ur whining biatch, i got no fear of DoY not running smooth on this comp!

1,4 GHZ AMD
256MB RAM
RADEON 9800 pro 128mb
0.5mbit ADSL

(not detailed but who cares)

ElfinLord
05-12-03, 21:17
Originally posted by RuButt
stop ur whining biatch
I'm not whining, I just know that there are better out there.

I am one of those people who would, if I had endless amounts of money, upgrade every other month just to have something better. :)

Zanathos
05-12-03, 21:26
Let me just put it this way.... I can get a steady frame rate in Unreal Tournament 2003 (meaning it NEVER falls below 60).

While Neocron DOES fall below probably lower than 30, I dont know cause I cant check.

Psycho_Soldier
05-12-03, 21:27
Originally posted by Zanathos
I dont know cause I cant check.

Why not? Alt + F

J. Folsom
05-12-03, 21:31
Well, it depends...

Assuming the engine is recoded in a way as that it'd draw more performance from my graphics card my FPS would probably actually end up higher then it is at the moment*. However, if it's going to still work in the same way (That is, majorly processor reliant), I'd probably have a huge drop, and actually get a reason for upgrading my processor.

*Because my graphics card is state of the art (Well, not really, but it's a GeForce 4 :P), but my processor's a 450 Mhz one.

Omnituens
05-12-03, 22:19
maybe because it is a new release there is a chance the gfx engine will be improved to make more use of the GPU rather than depending on pure CPU powah.

Psyco Groupie
05-12-03, 22:49
elf go have some op wars and stop posting negative crap on the forum

shodanjr_gr
06-12-03, 01:04
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie

Ive been to OP wars and NCs fps is crap at them as well. 10 FPS Max on my Machine:

1.7ghz Celeron oced @ 2.0 Ghz
3x256 Kingston DDR @ 333mhz
Ati Radeon 9000 64 MB DDR
SoundBlaster Audigy Player
WD 20 GB HDD

Game engine sucks and u know it. But i am hoping that it will improve with DOY.

ElfinLord
06-12-03, 01:20
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
How is this negative? I simply asked a question!

A few people in MJS's thread about NC:BdOY started talking about what FPS might be like in the new game and he told them to stop talking about it in his thread, so I decided to give them a place to discuss it.

So, . . .

why don't YOU go have an OP war, leave ME to ask my questions on the forums, stay out of MY threads, and most importantly . . .

STFU!!!!!

Anyway, now that I got that out of the way, is there any reality in AMD processors performing better in NC than Intel?

Omnituens
06-12-03, 10:14
AMD > Intel anyway elfin :p

im hoping to get a new mobo + ram after crimbo so NO MORE SDRAM w00t

Psycho_Soldier
06-12-03, 10:23
Tell me... how is AMD better than Intel?

Check this out, http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030623/p4_3200-07.html

robinitnow
06-12-03, 12:04
AMD have a future where as intell don't know where to go with there P4

shodanjr_gr
06-12-03, 12:21
Originally posted by robinitnow
AMD have a future where as intell don't know where to go with there P4

And your point is?????

ElfinLord
06-12-03, 12:36
Can we please put aside all the AMD > Intel and Intel > AMD crap?

I don't really care which is considered a better processor by Tom's Hardware.

I just want to know if one chip performs better than the other in Neocron, not UT2k3 or Splinter Cell or Comanche or Quake 3.

So does anyone have an answer to that question?

Wannabe
06-12-03, 14:14
Well, AMD is coming up with a processor that has two cores on it.

So this would be 'true' multithreading, instead of Intel's emulated multithreading (ie: Hyperthreading) where 2 threads are run at the same time.

I'm not an engineer, so this is just my opinion.

Sometimes cost > perfomance, at least when building a budject computer. And AMD has had a better floating point calculation speed than Intel. Not sure about the P4 tho, as I'm still running on AMD.

My workstation currently has AMD 2000+ CPU and my server has the Athlon 1.2Ghz@1.4Ghz and I've been quite satisfied with the performance.

Only bottleneck I have is the memory.

// Wannabe

shodanjr_gr
06-12-03, 14:33
Originally posted by Wannabe
Well, AMD is coming up with a processor that has two cores on it.

So this would be 'true' multithreading, instead of Intel's emulated multithreading (ie: Hyperthreading) where 2 threads are run at the same time.

// Wannabe

2 cores actually means 2 processors, only sharing the same cache memory right???

Wouldnt that mean almost 2xcost???

And also, AMD just released Atlhon 64 (which dont seem to be selling as well as expected, and they are damn expensive). Do you think they are going to release another processor time in the market in finite time??

TheEnemy
06-12-03, 15:02
I dunno what you guys are complaining about, my budget setup runs Neocron fine:

AMD Duron 1300
1024mb DDR Ram
GeForce 4 MX-440

I run 1024x768x32 (default setting) and no major FPS problems. Am upgrading processor soon however.

@shodanjr_gr - have you got force fog distance on under options (F11)? I don't normally have this on but it'll probably help you to have it on during op wars or when you're in very detailed wasteland areas.

ElfinLord
06-12-03, 20:42
Originally posted by TheEnemy

AMD Duron 1300
1024mb DDR Ram
GeForce 4 MX-440

I run 1024x768x32 (default setting) and no major FPS problems. Am upgrading processor soon however.

@shodanjr_gr - have you got force fog distance on under options (F11)? I don't normally have this on but it'll probably help you to have it on during op wars or when you're in very detailed wasteland areas.
This is actually what I mean by my question.

If you can, with a 1.3 GHz AMD processor, have "no major FPS problems", while someone with a faster Intel processor doesn't, is it the chip or not?

BTW, Enemy, what do you consider "no major FPS problems"? How many FPS do you get?

shodanjr_gr
06-12-03, 21:24

No, force fog is off, because i like to see when people are runnign towards me trying to kill me.

G.0.D.
06-12-03, 21:33
I have
P4 @ 2.7 ghz
1 gig ddr ram
7200rpm HD
radeon 9800 pro

And I get better FPS in half life 2 with the goodies turned up then i do in NEOCRON!

Xylaz
06-12-03, 21:41
well

Celeron 1.8 MHz
256 DDR
radeon 8500 128mb

i got

30-60 fps in apps and other non too crowded places
steady 30 in caves
steady 15-20 fps in wastelands
steady 5-10 fps in p1 with 15+ people
steady 5-10 fps in pp with 5+ people
steady 1-2 fps in op fights...

steady memory leaks which turns my PC to FRE every 30 mins of play...
steady crashes (when leaving/entering zone - esp. crp caves) and (then, after relog) syncs, (and then usually) inventory bugs etc

yeah, just love this game

az

hmm, just for comparision, - i've played morrowind on the same system specs and (after little tweaking) managed to get steady 20-25 fps in all environments, no crashes, nothing at all.
i've played few others mmorpgs without any major problems (except lags, occasional crashes and usual problems with firewalls) - again managed to work at min. 20 (25-30 usually) fps without much problems.
NEVER EVER EXPERIENCED so many problems with one game. I;ve had some problems with crashes/memory leaks (with nvidia cards) but after switching to ati cards it all works fine for me... except neocron that is

DigestiveBiscui
06-12-03, 21:53

AMD Duron 1300
1024mb DDR Ram
GeForce 4 MX-440

LIES!!!

Athlon xp1800
512RAM
GF 4 MX-440

30 fps wastelands + caves
60-90 in app
20-5 in plaza
20-5 at op wars

runs fine my on your machine my botty, go to an op war that doesnt consists of the vendors that stand at the ops :P

TheEnemy
07-12-03, 02:53
By no major problems I mean that I get slowdown when:

a) GRing into a new area, fps goes slow for a second or two.

b) Looking at some of the uber-detailed structures in the wastelands... specifically that village near Sieger made out of all those wooden planks. Flipping force fog on temporarily while I'm in this area fixes this.

Otherwise I get

50-75 fps in non-crowded areas
30-50 fps in wastelands
15-30 fps in crowded areas

Has never been unplayable on this current setup, runs pretty smooth. Might be my 1024mb DDR ram? I've also got Windows configured optimally, it does help.

Omnituens
07-12-03, 11:18
Originally posted by G.0.D.
I have
P4 @ 2.7 ghz
1 gig ddr ram
7200rpm HD
radeon 9800 pro

And I get better FPS in half life 2 with the goodies turned up then i do in NEOCRON!
yeah but Valve have the money develop their own graphics engine, and are very good at it too.

KK just doesnt have the funds to get hold of an effecient graphics engine.

Richard Adregen
07-12-03, 11:51
Well, but I wouldn't mind it if they upgraded it... I get 5-15 fps in the wastelands... and I'm not very happy with that :(

It's probably my gfx card though, it sucks.

P4 1.3Ghz
Geforce2 MX 32 MB (I know, it's crappy.)
384 MB RDRAM

RA.

DigestiveBiscui
07-12-03, 14:57
Originally posted by Richard Adregen
Well, but I wouldn't mind it if they upgraded it... I get 5-15 fps in the wastelands... and I'm not very happy with that :(

It's probably my gfx card though, it sucks.

P4 1.3Ghz
Geforce2 MX 32 MB (I know, it's crappy.)
384 MB RDRAM

RA.

according to nc it shouldnt be - read the back of the box

Min spec - 8mb GFX card

if that could run nc - why cant ours

//Ring\\
07-12-03, 18:25
its kinda wird ive run nc on a 16mb card with less then 32 mb ram and i could play longer then i can in this comp, check the specs

win xp pro all updates
p4 3.1 ghz
geforce FX5600 256 mb
512 mb ram virtual memory
flat screen LCD max res around 1980x2120 or something like that 0.o

and to boot an internet conn going at well over 10 mb/sec (gotta love dam fiber optics :D)

i have no problems of DoY not running smoothly.. i just hope the dam stability gets fixed.. it seems nc loves low end really outdates pcs more then beasts prepared to take on doom 3 when it comes out :p

Richard Adregen
07-12-03, 21:34
Originally posted by DigestiveBiscui
according to nc it shouldnt be - read the back of the box

Min spec - 8mb GFX card

if that could run nc - why cant ours

I've no idea... but it just won't give me any good FPS when I need it to most... That's why I'm always stuck to cave hunting, if I try to go fire-mobbing I'll always miscast and die.

RA.

msdong
07-12-03, 22:19
the NC GFX engine sucks big ;) and i hope its real tweaked wit NV:BDoY. at least it should make more use of hardware acceleration.
i know i can like 7 fps more in the WL when i turn off the grass but i really like it.

my system (A-XP2500, 1GB, GFFX5600-256MB, SATA) can handle most situations with 30+ frames exept those bigger fights with all that special effects like plasma, firebarrels, HL ...where FPS go as low as 8.

-=Blasehase=-
07-12-03, 22:27
u can get good FPS even on a lowend PC if the components working good together and a little bit finetuning

AMD Duron 1600 Thorton @ 1680
sis746FX mainboard
256MB PC2700 [additional 256 r on the way to me]
Hercules 3d Prophet 2 MX @ 200/200 [new one r on the way to me]

full detail [except Grass] on 1024x768x32

Plaza 1 with 20 people: 20-40 FPS in movement

Apartment: 100-140 FPS without movement, 80-100 FPS in movement

wastes & fights:
something between 25 and 90

so what?

the engine is old... its a optimized Genesis 3d
and the basic one isnt capable to run a game like this "details" NC has...

so what? it does well with that what it does when u see the background

btw: AMD >>> Intel [means MUCH bigger than]

TheEnemy
08-12-03, 07:58
The NC graphics engine doesn't seem too bad to me... In beta I used to play on a P3 700 with a TNT2 graphics card. Worked alright in low resolution, with force fog on for wastelands.

People with lower end specs should try lowering the game's details to match and see what performance you can get.

And do try to get an AMD processor if you're still using Intel. I'd also recommend nVidia video cards over ATI, but only from my limited (bad) experiences with ATI cards (some people seem to like them better).

Omnituens
08-12-03, 11:31
im getting a Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 after christmas, with (hopefully) 512MB PC3200 ram (depends on the cash i get)

[TgR]KILLER
08-12-03, 12:01
here goes..

AMD2000+
512 MB DDR
Geforce 4 TI 4200
Msi mainboard
5.1 sound

i think DOY will run on it or else ALOT of ppl gonna need new comps hehe.. some places i get about 70 FPS and others i get just 30 ( Gab mine zone rocks with all the grass :D ) but i think i'm doing that to myself running with everything on max/full..

Elric
08-12-03, 12:05
Originally posted by [TgR]KILLER
here goes..

AMD2000+
512 MB DDR
Geforce 4 TI 4200
Msi mainboard
5.1 sound

i think DOY will run on it or else ALOT of ppl gonna need new comps hehe.. some places i get about 70 FPS and others i get just 30 ( Gab mine zone rocks with all the grass :D ) but i think i'm doing that to myself running with everything on max/full..

Same setup (I have more memory tho, 768MB DDR :p) and a Gigabyte motherboard. I'm lucky to get half those fps in NC. (appartment is fine, 68+ FPS, when going outside 30 - 52ish, plaza 1 when busy and running through 10 - 28fps, op fights 13 or so.). Im sorry, but NC's FPS is fuckin ridiculous considering what other NEW games Im running on full detail with no problems at all.

ElfinLord
08-12-03, 20:52
Originally posted by Omnituens
im getting a Asus A7N8X Deluxe nForce2 after christmas, with (hopefully) 512MB PC3200 ram (depends on the cash i get)
If you go with the PC3200 RAM be sure to check Asus' QVL (http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X%20Deluxe&langs=09) (scroll down to find the list) for the right type of RAM. Asus is very picky with hardware compatability in my experience. It pays to use the right kind of RAM, IMO.

I didn't know if you already knew this or not, I just thought that I would share my experience anyway. :)

BOT, I hope that the new textures and everything aren't going to cause problems for most people. It would really suck if a lot of the people who play now wouldn't be able to play because of this "polishing".