PDA

View Full Version : Internet prob - Any clever people around

DigestiveBiscui
05-12-03, 12:13
ill make it as short as i can

a m8 of mine used to be on AOL dialup, some time ago (few weeks) he did a spyware scan and deleted the spyware etc. After booting his comp AOL didnt work (SURPRISE, AOL FULL OF FUCKING SPYWARE SHIT), webpages didnt work, neocron couldnt conn etc etc

anyway, he got BT broadband today, got it installed etc, but STILL nothing works, this time in IE not in the shitty AOL one. Web pages dont load, no neocron, email etc

So, i was wondering if anyone knew why this wasnt working, and if there is a way round it

tubby bye

DB

Jesterthegreat
05-12-03, 12:19
i am having the exact same problem... i did a full virus scan (trend micro systems - the online one) and found i had 131 uncleanable .exe files. after deleting them (and getting someone on #neocron to dcc me neocronlauncher.exe and client.exe) i was able to access neocron.

however as for the internet - i have not been able to solve it. it seems to only be internet explorer. i have a program called BYOND installed (it is used to play extremely small and low quality games) which has a browser function built in. i am able to access any and all pages through this.

i suspect it is a problem with internet explorer and will be reinstalling it ASAP. i would suggest that your friend does the same thing.

i say i have the exact same problem... but i never used AOL :p i am on freeserve broardband and i am unable to access websites. i have tried looking at the proxy setting etc and it all seems fine

DigestiveBiscui
05-12-03, 12:22
i love pc-cillin :D

anyway, someone said its possible that AO Hell wasnt un-installed properly, or something became corrupt, and therefore fucked windows because it likes doing that, therefoer a format is the only thing possible :S

he is on the phoney to BT now, so if nothing works ill mention ab00t re-installing IE

if they find a fix, ill reply to this thread again for ya

EDIT: also, it happend in AOL explorer as well, not just in IE

s0apy
05-12-03, 12:23
this is similar behaviour to that which you'd see if you had a firewall blocking stuff. i've had spyware that changed my settings similar to a firewall (ie stuff had to be routed thru it) and when i removed the spyware, the re-routed stuff went nowhere. resinstall time.

another instance is when they change proxy settings, which again get left behind. still another is when your ip info gets changed to something static (as opposed to the usual DHCP automatic config). ask your friend to check his tcpip protocol settings for hardwired IPs and DNS server addresses.

failing all that, a full wipe and resinstall should do the trick.

DigestiveBiscui
05-12-03, 12:37
meh well

he had about 130 pieces of spyware before teh uber wipe

just got off the phone to BT, they have told him to ring AOL and ask them how to remove EVERYTHING - but it sounds to me like the dmg is done

Jesterthegreat
05-12-03, 12:46
well be sure that he remembers the effect of AOL on his computer :p

personally i would do a search in the reg and delete anything "AOL" :p however i wouldnt recommend others do that as it may b0rk the system even more :p

tbh unless the computer is packed with stuff i would backup important stuff and do a complete format / reinstall

numb
05-12-03, 13:13
I may be able to help. One of my friends was on AOL before, and half the websites he liked to visit no longer worked when he changed internet provider. (sorry if this is irrelevant, I'm forced to skim posts atm at work)

I think this is because AOL software makes entries in your hosts file for various sites. This hosts files overrides DNS.

I dont know what operating system you have but :

c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Is where it is at work. Just do a find file on hosts you should find it.

Then you edit it in notepad and remove all the lines but

127.0.0.1 localhost

And your internet connection should be opened up.

I use this file a lot at work to test how sites funtion on various urls etc.

Hope this helps.

edit : I'm guessing that this file will be filled with loads of entries if it's the same problem my mate had.

DigestiveBiscui
05-12-03, 13:26
didnt work :(

format time :(

Dardalion
05-12-03, 13:32
could be a routing problem - Virgin had 1 a couple of weeks ago

DigestiveBiscui
05-12-03, 13:35
it starts 4 weeks ago when AOL was checked for spyware and found about 20 objects :)

since then its been down, so both AOL and BT have routing problems, on this 1 phone line?

Jesterthegreat
05-12-03, 14:36
try netscape nav or something - as i said i have the same problem but i can access it through BYOND (dont remember the URL - sowwy) so i know its not an ISP problem

Sanch0s
05-12-03, 14:49
I had problems unistalling aol too, i dont think its possible, but i just formatted:(
Its a harsh lesson to anyone whos ever used aol

05-12-03, 14:51
Can you ping or tracert any hosts from a command prompt (and if youre on Win NT/2k/XP can you nslookup?)

Does his IE have a proxy server defined?

t0tt3
05-12-03, 15:44
:lol: AOL does americans still use that O_o :lol:
Oooh well put the cash into war instead :rolleyes: o_O

DigestiveBiscui
05-12-03, 16:32
pinging doesnt work

obviously somethings blocking it (cough - remaining AOL shit)

Ormy
06-12-03, 00:40
I'd just do a full HD format/reinstall windows.

AfterDark
06-12-03, 01:35
The computer will never work right again without a full format/reinstall. AOL fucks up so many registry and system settings that it's impossible to ever get the computer working right again without a reformat.

What's the moral of the story kids?

EDIT: Attention Swedish guy: It's obvious that the only AOL user here is from the UK. Please look into things a little more before you make snide, uninformed, anti-American comments. kthx.

DigestiveBiscui
06-12-03, 09:58
meh well, booted it off CD, installed XP and it formatted for him anyway without asking him :p

so all is well, except for a lack of virus checker (yet)

oh, and msblaster took about 12 seconds to get on the comp LOL

FBI
06-12-03, 10:22
http://housecall.trendmicro.com very good free online virus scan/cleaner

spybot search & destroy
http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10194058.html?tag=lst-0-1

hope this helps

FBI

Sanch0s
06-12-03, 19:25
LOL yeah i got msblast within like a minute of sining onto the net, before i could even get the windows patches.
My mums comp had it like a week ago, but i saw no signs of msblast yet it showed its signs, so i looked through the task manager and saw a mslaugh.exe lol
What bastards someone changed the name of it?