PDA

View Full Version : Look at this thread from MJS. So whys NC becomming more and more carebear?

VetteroX
05-12-03, 03:51
Penalties removed from LE's. HQ's getting more guards. Hunting zones. Huge SL penaties. copbots all over so Red SL cant get by. NC's getting more and more carebear.... so what happened to KK's attitude after this post by MJS? The whole point of NC was to be a PvP, and it seems MJS used to agree, what the hell happened?

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42692

Psyco Groupie
05-12-03, 03:54
its called roleplay, you know the S T O R Y:

kamis is the reason for more guards.

the rise in copbots is gearing up for DoY.

jesus your a ****

Shadow Dancer
05-12-03, 03:59
Originally posted by Psyco Groupie
its called roleplay, you know the S T O R Y:

kamis is the reason for more guards.

the rise in copbots is gearing up for DoY.

jesus your a ****

That doesn't answer his Q. You can roleplay anything for any reason. The majority of these changes aren't for roleplay reasons anyways.

I never saw that post by MJS vet, I'm glad you showed it to me though. Very interesting..................

Cyphor
05-12-03, 04:03
Imo its because neocron is a business, as much as the creators are going to want to stick to their vision they cant when it wont be commercially viable. Pkers are a minority of the community so they have to make the game for the masses.

Style
05-12-03, 04:13
then quit puttin down neptune, vet. get meand if your thinking da cron is 'getting' carebear i tell you dis now blud, neocron az been carbear since the bounty hunter citycom system woz taken out.

neptune is da only hope init form serious

laterz

Martin J. Schwiezer
05-12-03, 04:27
DoY will get us closer to the original vision. We've found a way to inject even more RP into the game by reducing safe zones and the general care-bear attitude at the same time.

Be patient... it's worth it. The official announcement about all DoY features will be released _latest_ by the end of January.

Mirco
05-12-03, 04:36
Originally posted by VetteroX
Penalties removed from LE's. HQ's getting more guards. Hunting zones. Huge SL penaties. copbots all over so Red SL cant get by. NC's getting more and more carebear.... so what happened to KK's attitude after this post by MJS? The whole point of NC was to be a PvP, and it seems MJS used to agree, what the hell happened?

In the matter of HQs getting more and stronger guards I think this is great. It just feels so silly that you can just walk in and rape a HQ of an enemy faction. I dont think they are able to improve AI to make it difficult to do so, so they improve numbers of guards and their power to show people that if you gonna be a naughty boy you get smacked. Cant see anything carebearish about that.

So you got red SL and got ganked by the pigs? To bad. You`ve been bad and need punishment. I think its totally logical that you get ganked inside NC city limits. Go live in the wasteland like the reject you are. I know that the SL system needs a rework and it can be a little unfair, but hey if you got bad SL you most likely attacked a person you where green to or hit some innocent bystander (npc). You didnt follow your faction rule of engagement and perhaps they sold your ass to the pigs to set an example?

About the LE chip. There are plenty who dont use the LE chip isnt it? Prevent abuse by making it a 12 hour prosess of re-inserting it or something like that.

With doy I hope they remove all safezones in nc and have non-guard areas like pp and something similar for doy. Every other area should be full of guards but no safe zone. Like TH. Imagine sneaking as a stealthed spy into doy or nc to do some assassination or real spying.

I dont see consequence to your actions as something being carebareish. In my eyes its just something of a challenge for you gankers to overcome.

VetteroX
05-12-03, 04:37
Well, you dont have to worry, I'll be here till the end I think. I really hope its true the cearbearism will be reduced, that will be awesome.

Mirco
05-12-03, 04:39
Originally posted by Style
then quit puttin down neptune, vet. get meand if your thinking da cron is 'getting' carebear i tell you dis now blud, neocron az been carbear since the bounty hunter citycom system woz taken out.

neptune is da only hope init form serious

laterz

Read testserver patch notes if you havent allready man. Something`s stewing in the pot.

Jest
05-12-03, 04:49
Originally posted by Martin J. Schwiezer
DoY will get us closer to the original vision. We've found a way to inject even more RP into the game by reducing safe zones and the general care-bear attitude at the same time.

Be patient... it's worth it. The official announcement about all DoY features will be released _latest_ by the end of January. Sweet. Reducing safe zones = teh win. Man I'm itching in my shoes for these announcements they just keep getting better and better. :D

Edit: The BDoY expansion is starting to look up. Most people (including myself) were highly sceptical that it would only be a new city and maybe new mob or two, buts its definitely starting to look like a yummy expansion pack and I certainly can't wait for it.

KRIMINAL99
05-12-03, 04:49

Be patient... it's worth it. The official announcement about all DoY features will be released _latest_ by the end of January.

Sounds awesome!

Shadow Dancer
05-12-03, 05:15
OMFG

THIS IS AWESOME. NEW SIG!

f8l3rr0r
05-12-03, 05:29
It's because carebears make up the most of this game and they complain whenever someone kills them and whine. And most PK'ers aren't very socialable people outside of there own groups and the GameMasters become to like the carebears better and help them instead and ignore our problems and we hate the game more and strive harder to kill the carebears so they cry more..

P.S. - Thanks nid for the help last night @ tawkeen with the broken NPC...like the only time I've ever been helped besides from moony out of a billion bugs and problems.

MayhemMike
05-12-03, 05:55
Just look at the sig :O

VetteroX
05-12-03, 08:30
Well, the hope is NC gets advertised as a pvp game and attracts pvp people, screw the damn carebears... I know theres enough pvp oriented people out there to make neocron work.

Ive got an idea for KK. How about making a trial SERVER, where people can play like the test server, become any level they want, use any items etc, for a week. Then they could experiewnce the game beyond killing rats and roaches, that might hook them.

So mike, then, by your calculations, someone whos proven better then u are is a noob? Time for a new calculator and taped glasses, isnt it?

LVirus
05-12-03, 09:11
You VetteroX is making my stomach hurt. Your a sick bastard, did you know that? :p

Why? I have read enough of your posts where you whine that you cannot go rampant there and kill all red players you can see in one hour. Why cannot you do like rest of us "carebears" - attack higher rank players rather than pick on nubies and lower rank players? Don't have guts or BALLS for it?

Distaria
05-12-03, 09:48
After a while you get used to his incessant whining about the fact that there are people who have the audacity to not die on command:rolleyes:.

KramerTheWeird
05-12-03, 10:08
It is not a pvp game. I don't care what you think. Just because it has pvp doesn't make it a pvp game. Just because it has levelling, classes, and an item system doesn't make it a role playing game either. This game is an MMORPG, a hybrid of action/rpg that relies on BOTH aspects to survive. You can't have one without the other.

This is the main problem, the biggest thing I have with this game. People are even pro or anti. Nothing in between, like they believe you can't have good pvp with good roleplay, or that pvp ruins roleplay. So they stick to their desired way of playing it and fail to understand that your character puts you into a role in this game. Being killed by anyone, or killing anyone, that's a person's choice, and they play out their role in that manner. I don't think many try very hard to fit within a storyline, or faction background, but how mmo's work and how the game is designed, they are forced into it no matter what. Your character makes actions and they are noticed, and can change other people's actions, and you develop reputations, like admiration or animosity. You make a footprint on this game.

There are strengths and weaknesses with how the game attempts it's goals in content and storyline and pvp balance, but you simply being there creates a world that you have a stable role in. It happens by itself, "role players" are just people who push it foward and try to act out something within the storyline, but still actions they do are are done to affect them, in rp or not. You seem to be thinking of the PvP like "good game" or "fuck you" after a 15 minute round against some random people who joined the server, no remorse and little impact done to yourself or others. Compare that to a game that has been going on for over a year, with people who have had many battles throughout that time, made many enemies and friends.

Opar
05-12-03, 10:19

MJS FOR PRESIDENT!!

^^

But, this game is not care bear! I tried was almost ganked by a a /65 spy... on my APU. Beeeyawahaahahah.

msdong
05-12-03, 10:22
... HQ's getting more guards. Hunting zones. Huge SL penaties. copbots all over so Red SL cant get by. ...

do you have any problems on this ? maybe because you dont want to be responsible for anything you done ?

whos the carebear ?

VetteroX
05-12-03, 10:26
The prob is the creator of the game wants it less carebear, yet it got more carebear because people wont stop whining about people like me. Im playing how the games meant to be played, grinding enemy factions into a red paste.

These new patch notes about guards getting more firepower sucks. Its not up for discussion... they all do massive damage as it is. Anyone wanna take my challenge? duel me, test your weapon on me, see the damage u do. Then ill show you how badly guards fuck me up. Im not afraid of CS, lib, or pain easer, but I am afread of cm, tg, and fa guards, they hurt like hell. Its up to FA to defend TH, C to defend MB, TG to defend TG. and YES, if BD gets their HQ, up to BD to defend BD, not god damn NPC's with 10,000 health power and auto aim.

Anyway, according to MJS, it IS getting less carebear, so hopefully you carebears are gonna suffer, you have had it your way for too long.

honest question: where did this idea that I only attack newbies come from? if your red.. your dead. 0/2 and 70/70 or 90/65 or whatever idiotic rank monks have.

BTW virus, u didnt seem to have a prob with it when I was leveling my rifle pe back in spring and you wanted people killed while we were leveling at the cyclops bunker at mb. plz dont deny it, I have a good memory for events and hate when people deny shit.

Stigmata
05-12-03, 10:42
VetteroX
05-12-03 08:26 This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

nothing more to say

VetteroX
05-12-03, 10:46
omg no.... no... tears are welling up in my eyes... stigmata muted me? oh god have mercy on me please, what ever will I do? excuse me, Im crushed, I've got to go pull myself togeather.... I mean the only reason I EVER post is to get someone ive never even fought, talked to, or even seen standing around, the great stigmata, to noticed me, and now its blown up in my face! Oh the horrible punishment!

evs
05-12-03, 11:07
I dont know why people are bashing vetterox.

i think he's one of the more amusing members of this community :D

Shadow Dancer
05-12-03, 11:51
Time for a new calculator and taped glasses, isnt it?

:lol:

Anyways i'm inclined to "partially" agree with Kramer. First of all, too many people think black and white. Their should be some middleground and the game should try to cater to multiple sides. However even though this is a hybrid of multiple tastes and interests, from MJ's posts it appears he wants it to be a bit more geared towards PvP.

LVirus
05-12-03, 13:19
BTW virus, u didnt seem to have a prob with it when I was leveling my rifle pe back in spring and you wanted people killed while we were leveling at the cyclops bunker at mb. plz dont deny it, I have a good memory for events and hate when people deny shit.

Hah! Like I played in spring. That point, I was on break from NC. And killing people, sure but just don't get your OWN hands dirty ;)

05-12-03, 13:34
Im playing how the games meant to be played, grinding enemy factions into a red paste.

I'm just interested how you are so sure of that?

Spikadelia
05-12-03, 14:02
Vetterox..............

THE LEAD BANNER QUOTE ON THE NEOCRON WEBSITE IS.......

"This MMO RP G Looks set to take the world by storm"

RP stands for Role Play not Rampant Pinhead.

Keeping a leash on the PKers gives people a better chance to develop and enjoy their characters, and identify more and more as their skills improve with a chance to pick up items, vehicles, rares. This is crucial to the enjoyment of the game of so many players..... getting ganked relentlessly destroys this in a way you don't seem to appreciate.

I've played since the start of retail and seen the demise of PK legends like Starkes and strangely sometimes miss the blood curdling fear of seeing that name in local. I have characters who are LE and those who ain't and shrug off the random attacks. I think the balance is okay now, I'm interested to see the development of NC over the next few months and as long as changes happen within the context of RP and game world development I'm ready to see more of an edge to focused character conflicts.

But you know what I'm tired off...... the relentless posting of the PKing fraternity. Talk about bleats and whinezzzzzzzzzz.
A message to you all...Just up the dose of your Teenie Prozac and relax.

greploco
05-12-03, 15:00
you are correct

safety is good, some more was needed

now the game needs a little more spice again

Syntax-Error
05-12-03, 15:10
Im sorry.. did i miss when this game became a MMPCSG (massivly multiplayer Counter-strike game)

When i joined it was a MMORPG now suddenly theres claims that its PVP based ... wtf???

The whole point of NC was to be a PvP

Who said that? and when and if so.. wtf happened to this game?????

Syntax-Error
05-12-03, 15:10
EDIT : Damnable double clicking submitt sux

jernau
05-12-03, 15:31
[edited for violation of the forum rules]

If the game were the way you want it no-one would play.

Why? Because if you want CS you play CS, you don't play Tetris, space invaders or Neocron. If Neocron becomes CS it will be a ghost town.

MJS was forced to bring in the changes you hate not by the "carebears" but by the fucktards that were destroying his business.

Futureman
05-12-03, 15:45
Uhh, come on guys,

Vet makes a post without bragging, making a simple point about how MJS said the game was one thing and not another, and you all jump on him? Its pretty childish.

Btw:

Mike>Vet

Strych9
05-12-03, 15:48
I have to point out that if you look at the posts by 'carebears' and the post by 'pkers' which is the group that you would most likely want to align yourself with and keep happy from a business standpoint?

Which group complains when their gaming experience is interfered with, and which group responds usually with insults and name calling?

I am not saying that MJS has catered to the non-PvP crowd, but based on the types of posts and rationale you typically see posted here, I certainly wouldnt blame him.

Frankly, I dont think there should ever be ANY whining about PKing in these forums. The LE chip is 99% viable as an option now- except for the clan/community sharing of cabinets aspect, which is actually QUITE big to those people that do not want to PvP but still take their LE out. I suspect that if they were to allow LE users to congregate and share cabs like a 'clan' can, this pvp vs carebear problem would go away almost entirely.

Then that would leave the PvPers able to attack basically only those people that wanted to PvP- and then suddenly they would have to actually use more RP themselves because there would be fewer non-PvPers to beat up. I, for one, would love to see that happen- then PvPers wouldnt have to worry about their targets coming into the forum and whining about it.

Furion
05-12-03, 16:09
come on guys, when are you gonna realize that this game really revolves around vet? he is the best player here, and he is always right. this isnt a rp game, its a fully fledged pvp game, just ask vet....... no rp at all.

:lol:

VetteroX
05-12-03, 20:55
your suppost to rp yes.... by killing your faction enemies. thats why we specificly have enemies. If you dont want to fight, be protopharm. that faction has no real enemies. The LE is just stupid, and MJS himself didnt really think it should be used in the higher levels. its a mmorpg with a focus on PvP. Everquest is a mmorpg with a focus on killing monsters and collecting items.

Gydjia
05-12-03, 21:02
your suppost to rp yes.... by killing your faction enemies. thats why we specificly have enemies.

WOW! Thank god this game still has players with a Roleplaying style that has so much depth as yours (as in that of a puddle). *deep sigh*

Marx
05-12-03, 21:12
Vet, just don't bother dude.

The game has to be balanced, you have the side of the RP and the side of PvP, both claiming the game revolves solely around them.

The game revolves around both - Yes, it is a MMORPG but it was also designed with PvP as a core (base, central - revolve around?) feature as well.

What people forget when someone mentions PvP - is that RP does factor into it. Generally those you kill are people your faction wants you to kill; there's bad blood betwixt the two groups; and they rely on you, the player, to settle the conflict.

But, if the person(s) wish(es) to make peace, they're able to. The chat applet gives everyone every available opportunity to make peace. Politics are very 'RP' in my opinion; and politic'ing is constantly going on.

I see the offshoots of it all the time, I see groups that are completely hostile working together because peace is brokered. These people have founded a role - and they play it.

Anyway the biggest problem I see with the RP community in this community, is that you've yet to define RP - In every thread where someone's bitched about it being lacking, I call on them to define their view of RP. No one ever does.

Will someone please enlighten the Neocron community as to their view of RP?

Because until we all can semi-agree on what actually CONSTITUTES role playing; we'll continue to have petty indifferences like this.

Artie
05-12-03, 21:28
Keep killing all of the reds till they get the point. I respect you Vett, you pwn...

I have made a new sig for this very thread

IF YOU'RE RED, YOU'RE DEAD. ^_^

Gydjia
05-12-03, 21:28
Good points Marx. TBH I think most of the ppl who bitch about a lack of RP are ppl who have a background in pen and paper RPGs. Now, online MMORPGs can never deliver that kind of RP, they can't deliver that kind of depth. Live runs is a very good attempt to do this, but the effort involved by KK and the volunteers/GMs means that it can only ever be provided to a minority. Shame, but that's how it is.

Yeah, politics and deals do get arranged within NC, and that is good RP, and frankly, it's the only RP we're ever going to get if we're honest. That game-whose-name-can-never-be-mentioned is going to try to create more RP possibilities by allowing the players to run the admin and police force. That's a good idea, but it doesnt take a genius to see how it's going to blow up in their face (imagine if a clan could control all the copbots here in NC). I expect they'll have NPC copbots running on simplistic logic b4 the thing leaves Beta. I reckon the main reason why they've adopted this approach is so they don't have to bother creating NPCs ;).

Anyway, back to the point. Vet, although I took a swipe at him, is completely right. Killing faction enemies is about as near to RP a lot of players are going to get. It's also probably the only chance to RP they're going to get. So, NC is just as RP as Planetside then ? Well, yeah(ish), we do have pokers, ressers, consters etc, etc. But as we all know it's not viable to have a non-combat character to RP with here (no matter what the original marketing blurb said), so we're all armed, we're all fair PvP game.

I was involved in a clan that tried it's best to make RP the focus, but it could never extend that playstyle outside of the clan, except with a few individuals that we knew.

Anyhoo, I quit about 3 months ago, reasons many, not important. At the mo I'm waiting for my Uru Live account to be activated. That has no PvP nor PvM. It will be interesting to see how that 'works', it may just end up being a large and pretty IRC client, dunno *shrug* but I'll give it a go.

Nullifidian
05-12-03, 21:47

You do realise you're going to be held to your word this time right? For many, this is the last chance they're going to give you. The track record so far is that DoY release dates, etc. have been given before and all have been incorrect.

I know I cancelled my account, but I have good reason: I don't enjoy the game in it's current state. That's a flat fact.

However, I have been waiting and waiting for what seems like an eternity for Neocron to be the kind of roleplaying environment I was originally hoping for. For a time when I was a GM I saw hope. Then certain individuals in certain places never responded to any requests I made. So nothing got done.

Well, you claim that BDoY will bring more roleplaying elements to Neocron. You say it will totally revamp the graphics. If what you say is true, then I will most definitely return. Please don't blaim me however for having my doubts. Personally I think there should be a renewed free trial when DoY comes out. 7 days would be enough. I for one won't be spending any more money on this game unless I can see for myself firsthand that it has changed in the ways I've been looking for.

Distaria
05-12-03, 21:48
Originally posted by Strych9
I have to point out that if you look at the posts by 'carebears' and the post by 'pkers' which is the group that you would most likely want to align yourself with and keep happy from a business standpoint?

Which group complains when their gaming experience is interfered with, and which group responds usually with insults and name calling?

I am not saying that MJS has catered to the non-PvP crowd, but based on the types of posts and rationale you typically see posted here, I certainly wouldnt blame him.

Frankly, I dont think there should ever be ANY whining about PKing in these forums. The LE chip is 99% viable as an option now- except for the clan/community sharing of cabinets aspect, which is actually QUITE big to those people that do not want to PvP but still take their LE out. I suspect that if they were to allow LE users to congregate and share cabs like a 'clan' can, this pvp vs carebear problem would go away almost entirely.

Then that would leave the PvPers able to attack basically only those people that wanted to PvP- and then suddenly they would have to actually use more RP themselves because there would be fewer non-PvPers to beat up. I, for one, would love to see that happen- then PvPers wouldnt have to worry about their targets coming into the forum and whining about it.

Amen. The only problem here is that Vet would still be whining because people aren't playing the "right way":rolleyes:. I've read many of his posts, and he'll settle for nothing less than totally ruining the fun for anyone than doesn't agree with his playstyle. He seems to take issue with the fact that there are people who don't want to PvP, and if he can't get rid of them he wants them penalized into gimphood.

g0rt
05-12-03, 21:49
mike = win

VetteroX
06-12-03, 02:15
Ive said it 100 times before. This game differs from planet side because you need to build a char, and you CAN do other things then fight, but PvP was designed to be a part of the game. You dont have to want to pk all day like I do, but if you dont wanna do any pvp, your in the wrong damn game.

Richard Blade
06-12-03, 02:48
Ive said it 100 times before. This game differs from planet side because you need to build a char, and you CAN do other things then fight, but PvP was designed to be a part of the game. You dont have to want to pk all day like I do, but if you dont wanna do any pvp, your in the wrong damn game.

Then why are there constructors, researchers, implanters, and the ability to use other non-combat skills?

:wtf:

Psycho Killa
06-12-03, 02:52
To poke me when my imps fall out from killin and to make my weapons that i use for killin :D

KramerTheWeird
06-12-03, 03:03
Vet is right about pvp with factions is RP. Hell even randomly killing can be considered it, as you enact a role of mindless killing and develop a rep from it. But there are more elements of RP. Like Marx said, peace is an important one, and stability of that. People learn to expect that there are guidelines and lines people don't cross when it comes to rp, but the truth is everything matters.

MJS said himself that he is introducing more RP elements, in fact he didn't even say PvP once. This means to me he understands they are one of the same in this game and both rely on each other.

The rest of the RP content, or lack thereof, can be explained that there aren't any mechanics or ways to successfully create an rp interraction or event. For instance, if you wanted to polish up a typical TG/MB/TH raid by organizing a group by having interrogations about secret technologies they have, it would have so many pitfalls. First most obvious is that everyone is tuned to KOS, meaning they will attack you, without question or provoke, just because you are within their sights. This can certainly make an interrogation difficult, as your guard would be down and it would be interrupted easily. Plus, the person you are interrogating, unless they beforehand agreed to cooperate OOC, could say nothing, as there is little fear of death and he would be out of harms way if he did die. Lastly, there is no secret technologies that you could retrieve. A planted datacube with facetious information about some secret weapon would be nice, but it's not like you can use it to develop a weapon yourself and gain an edge. Since everything is accessible to everyone, there is no supply, demand or advantage anyone can gain in interrogation, data retrieval, or sabotage/hacking, let alone mercenary work or protection. Only level of RP exists now is OP battles and clans at war/peace.

Marx, this is the RP everyone wants. For actions to have benefits and consequences, for factions to be in direct competition and have actual benefits from their progress. For assignment of duties to take out installations or facilities and have it make an impact to the opposing faction. A shifting of balance and power, not because of how many ops you control, but because of technology and information.

g0rt
06-12-03, 04:18
Originally posted by Richard Blade
Then why are there constructors, researchers, implanters, and the ability to use other non-combat skills?

:wtf:

omfg

because you can use these things to PREPARE yourself for pvp

the game isn't revolved around building shit

ffs

VetteroX
06-12-03, 04:35
also, there are plenty of spies who construct or ress that can fight quite well.... and yes, guns of course contribute to the pvp. If all you wanna do is hunt mobs with an LE in, seriously, why are you here? At very least, fight for "good" and prtect lower levels from pkers.

Futureman
06-12-03, 05:23
mike > Vet

comeon, lets you and him fight!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:

Is there anyone as good as or better than you, vet? Im curious to hear your input.

Artie
06-12-03, 05:48
Vet is a very good PE player. I respect him in nearly every way.

Question: If people did things not centered on combat like you guys claim, then why do nobody rp's with the food out there?

BTW: PWNED.

I>U
Fin`
(Disclaimer: The above phrase simply was a joke, and is not intended to have a "air of superioriority" over you. If you bitch, whine, moan that this post is unfair, get a life kthxbye. ^_^)

Richard Blade
06-12-03, 05:54
Gort, no shit, it's not revolved around building stuff. But, for the PvP crowd to have weapons and spells, somebody has to be a constructor. And, if you want good stuff, he's gotta specialize in construction. That omits weaponlore to a very high degree.
Some of the changes that came with the last couple patches help this to a small exent, but still, it's far from feasible.

My point was that he said, 'if you're not here to pvp, you're in the wrong game.' But, constructors to be any good, have to specialize beyond decent combat skills. That being said, they can't PvP for crap and really shouldn't try. Therefore, not belonging in the game.

Eric Draven has several posts about what people expect from a constructor. You have to have 200+ skill before people even think about using you for their precious guns.
The specialization this game requires ruins the idea that a spy can construct and fight at the same time.

For Vet to say that there are decent constructor / fighter spies out there... Are they decent, in that they die when you look at them? And, they only scratch your armor for 1 maybe 2 points of damage? If they hit you. I have to disagree with him.

KRIMINAL99
06-12-03, 08:15
Originally posted by Strych9

For the most part it seems to be the carebears that stoop to low levels, fling out of character insults for in game events, generally ruin rp for everyone..

All pker or pvper means is someone that plays the game according to the rules. A carebear is basically someone that can't deal with competive environments. Imagine playing a basketball game and when you steal the ball from someone he goes "WTF your so immature stupid l33t teenager omg go masturbate REF HE STO TEH BALL FRUM MEEZ!!"

The name comes from their assertion that its for some reason wrong to pk in a video game, which is really just a veil for their inability to cope with loss. They aren't willing to contribute to making the world a better place, which can only be done by forgiving and not being judgemental... because they really don't care how people act until their vision of becoming the best NEOCRON player ever is thwarted.

The origin of this problem is that this type of attitude is encouraged by mmorpg volunteer staffs in games which waiver on their level of PVPedness. (you wont see people whining about pking to gms in shadowbane...) By nature gms want to hang around new players and sympathize with any problems they have in the game, and when they get pked they encourage the idea that it was unfair in some way...

Just the other day I was checking out another pvp based fps mmorpg endless ages... First thing I heard was the gm complaining saying "I'm ending this event because people are camping the rigs and dissallowing some players to participate" Obviously irl an event would be a perfect opportunity to prey on usespecting travelers... Nothing makes you realize how stupid the way most mmorpgs work with volunteer staffs now than to log into a brand new game and thats the first thing you hear.

And at one point when i died and there was some bug which didn't allow me to loot my corpse on a hill the gm killed all the mobs and let me go even though he wasnt supposed to do this and all i wanted was a fix or explanation for the bug...

These people as far as interacting with the community is concerned actually hurt the game 10x more than they help it. IMO if they are to serve any usefull purpose at all other than to deal with bugs than they should be so you couldn't tell that they weren't NPC's... they just had some story fuction and don't spam chat chastizing players for roleplaying. Let newbies adapt... most of them that is what they are here to challenge themselves to do. in work costs money.

Jake Cutter
06-12-03, 09:10
Question: If people did things not centered on combat like you guys claim, then why do nobody rp's with the food out there?
Some people have....maybe you just didn't see it. :D

And with regards to others...PvP is a part of this game, but not the "be-all-and-end-all" of game participation...if you feel that it is, then please go back to CS.

Regards,
Jake Cutter

KramerTheWeird
06-12-03, 09:21
I used to take my wife out to eat at chez cypher and rocco's seafood :)

We usually talked on local and people would yell at us for spamming.

Sammson
06-12-03, 11:22
Well boys all I can say is this. I've been playing this game for about a month now. Excellent effort btw MJS, trully a change in the many mmorgs I've played. I went the standard leveling route, le in, collected money for a new apt, a vehicle, had a decent smg built, even got some power armor. So, after getting to level 60 I figure I'm strong enuff to offer some value to a clan so it's time to join. So, le out.

That was 5 days ago. Since then I've been shot in the back a dozen times while on my knees healing after a pvm battle, had my pistol, my armor, and several hard to find other parts looted. Had my vehicle destroyed. All this by the way by veteran players.

So now I have to start from scratch with no money, no decent weapon, no armor and on foot. Now will I have to spend weeks collecting the money to get this stuff all again only to give it to the the vets again? Is that your idea of fun? Not gonna happen my friends, the le is back in, the clan aspect of the game is not available to new players ( or "carebears" as you so insultingly say) and you can go play your "pvp". ( or should I say "veteran player kills and robs new player when they are least prepared", not that I could put up a fight if I was prepared) Is that your idea of player versus player? I thought it meant a player duel type of thing, at least in all the other pvp mmorpgs I've played that was the idea.

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not "whining" as you say, being killed is no big deal, but the mentality here seems to be to have your fun by ruining other peoples, and to be honest when I want to do pvp, I play Americas Army, which lets face it is what real pvping is all about (I wonder why you guys aren't there? Too tuff?). So to your contention that they are ruining the pvp aspect of this game, I say you veterans have only brought it on yourselves. No wonder so many people have left if this is the way you've been treating them! For one second why don't you think about the lack of fun you are creating for new players with your attitude? Really, think about it. What option have you given kk?

VetteroX
06-12-03, 11:35
first, its IMPOSSIBLE to lose your weapon, unless your an idiot. even being new, SURELY someone explained to you that you cant lose the item in slot 1? so you shouldnt have lost your gun. as for being killed a lot, are you city admin in TG territory? or what? And making money REALLY isnt that hard.... my apu currently has 2.5 million on him, nothing to some people, but im guessing a lot to you. its ALL from kiling monsters, no selling of loot, just the $ you get from killing swamp cave and chaos cave mobs.

Or, you could kill warbots, get 10 tech parts. Sell all 10 if you want, i garentee there will be at least 1 in the match you could sell for a few hundered thousand cr.

You have to learn to play before making comments like it will take weeks to get stuff back. ask on help for good leveling spots, other ways to make $, and maybe try dueling people in nf, and figuring out a good setup. I started out in beta getting killed all day by capped tanks, all it made me do was wanna get good and kill people myself. Now I can kill pretty much anyone 1vs1. Why cant you do the same?

Sammson
06-12-03, 12:59
Ok it was my spare pistol, and ya prolly hours, not weeks, but come on Vet. Give me a break. I was hoping this was going to be the adventure to pass the winter by. I'm really not interested in being killed or killing other people non stop for the rest of the winter, I was happily on my way to Irata III, but the ship I was on was hit by a meteor, and the escape pod dumped me back in Mid Ocean. All I wanna do is work to pay off Tangent Tech for rescuing me from the the frigid Ocean, make a decent living while ridding the wastelands of mutants and such, exploring the land, seeing the sites, making a few friends and maybe having a few friendly duels in battledome or somesuch, are you saying I can't do that? I HAVE to try to kill all red faction players when I see em? I HAVE to be prepared to lose and replace stuff on a regular basis? You guys not gonna let me do that? Am I in the wrong game?

Shadow Dancer
06-12-03, 13:08
Um I think their are way too many restrictions and carebear rules for high level PvP. I don't think you should even lose SL for killing anyone. However, I think you should face TREMENDOUS penalties for killing someone who doesn't have a realistic chance of beating you. And I don't mean a high level spy, :p, I mean like someone who has base 50 in their main stat. IT's just stupid TBH. Low-mid level people don't have a chance in hell of running away(it's usually too late, they can even often die without knowing what happened, that's how weak they are) or fighting back.

So I think MORE restricitons or penalties for killing low-mid levels chars, and less or preferably NO restrictions for killing high level chars.

IMO.

Furion
06-12-03, 17:19
i cant believe how self centered you are vet. sammson said he had been playing for a month, that means he does not know all the game mechanics etc, so maybe he will have a harder time getting weapons and money then you? ever think that not all people have connections everywhere to help them?

jernau
06-12-03, 18:26
MJS himself didnt really think it should be used in the higher levels. its a mmorpg with a focus on PvP.

That explains why his chars have LEs in, even at cap. :rolleyes: