PDA

View Full Version : Remove "Clan Online"?

Lecko
04-12-03, 15:18
As was stated by Menolak in a previous thread - Should we remove the option to see how many of a particular clan is online?

I've only EVER seen it used to weigh up which OP to take depending on the amount of players online. Which is just madness. It has no RP value, no informational value other than weighing up your opposition. Which shouldn't be public. You may think it's useful so you can pick on a clan with noone online, but remember they can do the same to you.

-Yes
-No
-Change absolute numbers to somekind of "clan activity". High, Medium, Low corresponding to different numbers of runners online.

Note: no dead animals as it christmas.:eek: :eek:

JustIn_Case
04-12-03, 15:25
Well, you need to be able to see if the leader or any subleaders are online, but the rest could be hidden for all non-members of the clan.

Psyco Groupie
04-12-03, 15:28
Agreed, the #2 has a good idea too

Apoc
04-12-03, 15:31
We used and use it the other way, only if enough are on, we attack, so we know they MIGHT come to defend and we dont have to wait 1 hour to realize there wont be a fight.

robinitnow
04-12-03, 15:33
only clan members can see how is on

Dade Murphey
04-12-03, 15:33
why do you need to be able to see if the leaders or subleaders are on...only things I can think you would need this for would be to set up op fights :wtf: (still think that's dumb, "hey guys, we're gonna try to take your op at 3pm (gmt -6) on the nose, please be there to put up a resistance.") or so people who'd like to join could apply...but you could also just go thru other members to get to the main guy...I like the clan activity idea personally

I mean sure, you want a fight at an op or whatever...but you could still get one...go for clans that are medium or high activity...ranting...sorry...going now

LVirus
04-12-03, 15:34
How about only showing leaders online so there is a room to contact leader of clan or highest ranked person. Hide others.

Spoon
04-12-03, 15:34
Originally posted by Dade Murphey
why do you need to be able to see if the leaders or subleaders are on...only things I can think you would need this for would be to set up op fights :wtf: (still think that's dumb, "hey guys, we're gonna try to take your op at 3pm (gmt -6) on the nose, please be there to put up a resistance.") or so people who'd like to join could apply...but you could also just go thru other members to get to the main guy...I like the clan activity idea personally

To open up GenReps...........

Dade Murphey
04-12-03, 15:36
Originally posted by Spoon
To open up GenReps...........

get a job and get a car hippy!!! and cut your hair while you're at it!!:D

JustIn_Case
04-12-03, 15:38
Originally posted by Dade Murphey
why do you need to be able to see if the leaders or subleaders are on...

Several reasons...here are a few examples:

- I want to join clan x, hmm, who of the leaders are online...
- I want to "report" a member (mom, he hit me, buhu) to the leaders.
- I need backup from another clan, want to know who to talk to.

Lethys
04-12-03, 15:52
Even better idea:

Make it so that in order to see who is online in a clan, you need about 150 hack skill.

JustIn_Case
04-12-03, 15:55
Originally posted by Lethys
Even better idea:

Make it so that in order to see who is online in a clan, you need about 150 hack skill.

My thought as well...but since its probably "ninja hackers" checking online numbers that wont help much since they can hack the CityCom.

Lecko
04-12-03, 16:46
but surely if you want to join a clan, you can always send an ingame mail? If you know the clan and want to get them to help you, put them on buddy and they'll reply if they want to.

I agree the leaders should be seen, but if a vagueness is applied to the numbers online, it will reduce the definate "they've only got 2 people online, lets take their OPs" aspect which is bad for ALL clans. If it's a fight you want, go for the "HIGH" activity value...

Vampire222
04-12-03, 17:29
id like to see who of a clan is online, to communicate with em directly, makes sense doesnt it

Jest
04-12-03, 18:36
Hmm at first thought no but I am starting to think yes now. Perhaps it should only show which members of rank 10+ are online. I like that idea.

Carinth
04-12-03, 20:21
There are many reasons why checking for members online should stay.

1) Checking for somone to contact about opening a GR
2) Seeing who in your clan happens to be now (I do this everyday when i login) Some people are quiet and don't say anything unless you engage them in conversation.
3) Estimating both enemy forces and your own forces to decide if attacking/defending is worthwhile. (darn ppus)
4) It is one of two ways to check if a certain player is online. You can either direct them and check the response, or check the member list of their clan. (assuming they're in a clan)

Shadow Dancer
04-12-03, 20:27
Originally posted by Carinth

4) It is one of two ways to check if a certain player is online. You can either direct them and check the response, or check the member list of their clan. (assuming they're in a clan)

YEA!

I always check if FF members are online, so I can harass them to open the gr. :lol:

Promethius
04-12-03, 20:30
Originally posted by Lecko
As was stated by Menolak in a previous thread - Should we remove the option to see how many of a particular clan is online?

I've only EVER seen it used to weigh up which OP to take depending on the amount of players online. Which is just madness. It has no RP value, no informational value other than weighing up your opposition. Which shouldn't be public. You may think it's useful so you can pick on a clan with noone online, but remember they can do the same to you.

-Yes
-No
-Change absolute numbers to somekind of "clan activity". High, Medium, Low corresponding to different numbers of runners online.

Note: no dead animals as it christmas.:eek: :eek:

well it works both ways. When we looking for a fight we don't like to attack clans with no runners on.

Phlith
04-12-03, 20:31
@SD: like yours truely.... :p

I myself don't use the "Online" option very much, but I don't see the point in removing it either, maybe modifying its use with Lethys' idea, that would be sexi :D

Archeus
04-12-03, 20:33
Originally posted by JustIn_Case
My thought as well...but since its probably "ninja hackers" checking online numbers that wont help much since they can hack the CityCom.

Well you could make it that only hacking citycoms in the OP owned by clan will give you the information. Also hacking activates a message to the clan that someone in Outpost X is hacking (extend it to a fail that the persons name is shown).

Actually you could extend that outpost hacking so that you could listen in on CLAN chatter for 10-20 seconds (with success rate dropping with each attempt).

.. If you wanted to
join a clan, report a clan member. You could use email instead. Or maybe an option to send an email to a clan (Clan email box!).

{MD}GeistDamnit
04-12-03, 20:43
change it so you gotta be in that clan only maybe. but also this is bad cause what if you have honor and you want to attack a clan, and when u get there u find 2 members defending to your 10 attackers, so I just say leave it as it is.it's not a big problem.

Ghard
04-12-03, 20:46
your standin at an op you just hacked from an enemy faction waiting for a fight u didnt check any online statuses b4 u did it now your waiting an hour later you get bored and check who in the other clan is online and lo and behold noone is online so that means u can wait till hell freezez over cause they aint coming lol itsa good 4 that

Dade Murphey
04-12-03, 22:36
Originally posted by JustIn_Case
Several reasons...here are a few examples:

- I want to join clan x, hmm, who of the leaders are online...
- I want to "report" a member (mom, he hit me, buhu) to the leaders.
- I need backup from another clan, want to know who to talk to.

-Send an email or talk to a friend you have in that clan
-Send an email to the leader (when I say email I do mean in game email too)
-You could really talk to any member of the clan about this or just ask em if one of their heads is online