PDA

View Full Version : question about DoY (no, not when its coming =/)

Spectra260
02-12-03, 23:47
i just wanted to know somthing...

i just read that post about what MJS said in the german community forum, and what was translated and all..

this is what i got from it,

its going to be store bought, it will be called something on the lines of

'Neocron - beyond the Dome of York'

they said they will have to do it this way because basically they need to re work alot of things, including rebuilding the city, and also changing game elements and such... so obviously people with regular neocron will not be able to play with people who have DoY.

what i wanted to know is are we going to have to start from scratch with our chars? or are they going to somehoe be rolled over to the new servers...or whatever...

the reason i think that we might have to make all new chars is because i remember there being talk about skill adjustments and changes to the caps...

i dunno now, sure i really want DoY to come since it will bring alot of old friends back and also alot of new players...but is it going to be like somethings that when they changed a part of the fun went with it too...

take CS for example...it used to be 2 times funner 2 years ago, now you cant bunnyhop...steam is a pile of shit... they also made it harder to bind things in 1.6....blah blah etc etc...everyone couldnt wait for it to come and then it did and it changed the game so much that alot of people who liked the way things used to be stoped playing (or just do what i do and play in 1.5 servers only)

anyways....what do you guys think, (im kinda bored...gonna play cs now;) )

Mirco
02-12-03, 23:54
That post got me thinking a bit about balancing. If the game is being balanced towards doyness, how can we know if something needs nerfing? Perhaps monkcron is balanced towards DOY?

I got the feeling KK was talking major gameplay overhaul here.

LVirus
02-12-03, 23:55
DoY will prolly NOT be a free download, rather a 20€ expansion pack. :eek:

naimex
02-12-03, 23:56
what i think is, that people who have used insane amounts of time with neocron (me included), might not keep playing if we had to start from scratch..

If they make DoY store bought because of the large amount of new things, remaked char caps, new cities.. well this is an online game.. these are servers.. not just something you create like a normal game.. and pull down when finished playing.. everyone has to have the same type of game, running with the same rules etc etc etc.. so if they make servers run DoY then everyone who wants to play.. has to have DoY..

and it seems less believeable that they would make the expansion storebought since, lots of people bought the game in stores (before download / cd key registration got up and running) donīt you think itīs kinda unfair that they should go buy another game, cuz the previous got useless because of an upgrade, which actually has been paid for in the monthly payment which as far as i know should cover :: Server, People working for the neocron game team (the peeps that get the money for it), and for new stuff, upgrades and whatever might come to the game..

but thats just what i think, thought and my general point of view to this entire thing..

(not meant as a flame or anything, just my personal view on the matter)

Psyco Groupie
03-12-03, 00:02
I wouldnt mind starting over, it'll be like all the people who exploited their mc5s wouldnt be good anymore .. heh

Shadow Dancer
03-12-03, 00:04
I seriously doubt we'll have to start over, that's dumb. But I'm concerned about people without doy not being able to play with people who have DOY. And since DOY will actually have a price(since the publisher wants to make money) then that means people will be forced to pay to continue playing!!! Right?

I mean pay for the expansion. :p

J. Folsom
03-12-03, 00:06
Keep in mind that MJS said in the same thread that there would most likely be a discount for the current subscribers, and that you'd only be paying for a new client; if you have multiple accounts you only need to buy NC:BtDoY* once.

I'm actually also pretty certain KK would prefer to have the expansion free, but they could never get a publisher to agree on that.

I feel slightly bad for probably being the first one to use that acronym, oh well.

Spectra260
03-12-03, 00:09
i know i would hate to have to start over, and it would make me re-think about buying the expansion...

buy you know, you cant really blame KK for not making DoY a download...with the canceling of accounts and LOTS of people leaving, and MJS's pimped out fits, they have to be getting low on money...

and if you think about it, most MMO's cost more monthly than neocron does already, plus there expansions are always storebught and no one seems to complain.

yea i know neocron has ALOT more bugs than the other games that im talking about...but still...i can understand why they would need to SELL DoY and not just let people download it...

PLUS it would be better advertising...more people would see the box in stores and go hrmmm and pick it up...it would probably be better advertising than just having some banners on some websites..

Carinth
03-12-03, 00:25
I'm pretty certain you will hafta start over. You are in effect buying a new game. MJS said all current subscribers will receive a mail offering them a "deal" with buying NDOY. Wether that is free or a discount is still to be seen. In the snippets we got, it seems they're doing much more then just putting DOY in. They are improving the graphics engine, to the point were they didn't want any old graphics in the game. Hence why it's nolonger just a patch. It would be pretty silly to walk around and see characters drawn in crappy graphics standin next to much more details ones. I believe they are also trying to improve the netcode, which might *gasp* reduce synching? Maybe the graphical improvements... might reduce fatals? I really don't care about DOY at all, if I was able to play neocron for an entire day without crashing or synching... I don't know what I'd do. I would prolly hafta ctrl alt delete or alt tab every so often just to simulate a crash ; ) That would restore my faith in kk completely.

Spectra260
03-12-03, 00:28
yes no doubt i cant wait to play a new and improved neocron...

its just will it change so much that PvP just doesnt seem the same...will it take away that feeling that i still sometimes get like when i first got the game back in beta...

or will it change so much that it feels like a completly different game alltogether...

Lethys
03-12-03, 00:30
I think DOY will be better if you have to start over. Well Pluto will be at least..........

Cliffraiser
03-12-03, 00:33
Originally posted by LVirus
DoY will prolly NOT be a free download, rather a 20€ expansion pack. :eek:

and to be honest i give them the full right to do it just like any other mmorpg expansion :D

Shadow Dancer
03-12-03, 00:37
What do you mean by start over Carinth?

You mean losing all my rares and shit I worked hard for and releveling my PSI by doing boring ass cave runs, grave runs, swamp runs, fire mob runs, etc.......

And trying to get my rares again with the shitty drop rate and no one having any stock of parts i can trade from.

Fuck that. I wouldn't even bother with it.

Spectra260
03-12-03, 00:40
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer

You mean losing all my rares and shit I worked hard for and releveling my PSI by doing boring ass cave runs, grave runs, swamp runs, fire mob runs, etc.......

And trying to get my rares again with the shitty drop rate and no one having any stock of parts i can trade from.

thats what im worryed about

retr0n
03-12-03, 00:48
as far as paying a fee for DoY i don't mind doing that, but if i was to
do that and i login and the first thing i get is perma sync, then i relog,
and after 2 minutes i get a FRE i would really be pissed

but if i have to reroll and start from scratch, i highly doubt i would
play the game, it somehow feels like all these months of lvling
and collecting tech parts was for nothing

//Radium

Spectra260
03-12-03, 01:05
i would just like to know if its possible for them to save our chars...

i mean, i got 4 chars on saturn, my capped pluto tank, high level pluto monk, and a high level PE on uranus...

thats all from the start of retail, i would hate to have to do all that crap again...

Zanathos
03-12-03, 01:13
An official response is really needed.

msdong
03-12-03, 01:14
MJS say there is no charwipe.

MAYBE (my Thought) there should be an itemwipe for everything not implantet/quickbelt and some money that match you rang.

... now you cant bunnyhop..

thank you, whoever the god up there in heaven...

Carinth
03-12-03, 01:24
Originally posted by Shadow Dancer

Yes : )

Unless they design a character export/import system, I doubt NC characters will be moved to NDOY. There is the problem of graphics, since your character was made with lesser quality. The biggest problem I'd see though is that we would be severely restricting what they could do with NDOY. It is much easier to start from scratch and say redesign the classes so they're more balanced, then to take an existing class structure and try to fix it. This would also wipe the slate clean and purge the illegaly gotten equipment over the months. So far KK has been mostly reactionary in terms of exploits. Player actions bring an exlpoit to light and KK produces a fix to prevent it. That does nothing to those who have already gained from the exploit. The worst example is MC5, industrious players took advantage of the place before it was common knowledge and amassed lots of MC5 chips before the lockdown. The rest have to deal with the much harder MC5 while those that exploited can move on. I've been in favor of wiping monks and startin over for a long time now, so in that regard I approve of having us have to start fresh. On the other hand, having everything I've worked a year for tossed out the door and bein forced to start over from scratched... would not be that appealing. Though there is something to be said about starting fresh. In my experience leveling isn't really that bad once you get into it. It's gathering the motivation to start that usualy stops me : ) Sure you'd hafta farm rares, but so would everyone else. For those that were here when a server first opened up or for one of the many Beta wipes, it can be a lot of fun to have everyone be noobs again. When someone puts together a rare, omg that's a big deal! Money is sooo much more precious, because noone has billions of credits stashed away. In short many of the mechanisms the game was designed around only exist during this time. Money is fairly accurate, with people rarely having a billion or more nc. Rares are truely rare, what a concept : ) The biggest thing though is that for the most part, we're much more dependant on each other. Currently, most players have the resources to reroll or start a new char and for the most part stock up themselves.

Well, I'm gettin carried away. If NDOY has a free trial period, I will prolly give it a try. If they truely have improved the game and not just given us eye candy, then I'll most likely be addicted all over again : )

Carinth
03-12-03, 01:37
I just read msdong's post, how does that work? MJS actualy said no charwipe? Hmm that would indeed make it harder on kk, I would almost say just wipe our chars in favor of a much improved NDOY. The first issue that comes to mind is how new players will feel when fully capped and stocked characters are walkin around on the first day. The resources many of us have are beyond most player's wildest dreams. I know Carinth is sitting on a treasure trove of rares, implants, spells, and other equipment. It would seem to me that would be hugely unfair to people just starting out. As I said previously, a good deal of people's fortunes were made before KK fixed something. Duped rares, money exploits, etc. Even for those not involved in shady actions, you have MC5 and the rare part drop rate. Is it fair to allow players who happened to be around at a time when the game was easier, to exist in tandem with new players starting in a much more difficult world? It's a tricky question.

Second I'm concerned that no char wipe means they will not be modifying characters/stats that drasticly. If they think they can balance the classes without drastic measures, that's great... but I'm skeptical.

Sealdude
03-12-03, 01:45
I think MJS said something like "They wont wipe the characters but they might make a new server so people can start fresh"

I wouldent really care if they restarted because its going to be almost two months before they tell us the release date which will be a few months from then, we got plenty of time.

Scikar
03-12-03, 01:49
They did say that they weren't making major changes to the skills. IIRC the plan was that once your char is capped, if you earn a certain amount of additional XP you activate a special bonus.

SigmaDraconis
03-12-03, 02:13
im gonna.. *ew sick feeling* agree with SD..for once... the other SD that is..

VetteroX
03-12-03, 02:32
I really dont want to start fresh, Ive dont too much work. I dont even want there to be a server with the option to start fresh, because we already have too many servers as it is... we need more people per server. I say make it easier to start out, more money, and some help program for the new players, and epic open to all where you can get a moveon version of sf, psi core, ss, or marine, and an epic open to all where you get one of: like an artifact, garenteed 1 slot tl 90 plasma cannon, tl 90 energy beam, tl 90 assult rifle, tl 90 smg etc etc.

This way new players would have a chance, old ones cn keep their stuff.

Sealdude
03-12-03, 02:44
I dont care if they do a character wipe or not but I do want a new server becuase the other ones are filled for me.

Spectra260
03-12-03, 03:43
well im not much of a programmer or skinner or anything...

but wont they onyl have to replace the file with a newer and improved skin, and just name it the same thing... i.e.

a tanks face, lets say its only xx polygons and colors, with DoY they upgrade the graphics so that now its xxx poly's and colors...wouldnt it be that they just have to replace 'face.xxx' (not what its really called obviously) and the new graphics would automatically be implemented?

like i said im no pro or anything...just wondering if this is somewhat how it kinda works...

Rade
03-12-03, 03:50
Theres plenty of solutions that does make it possible to have doy
and non-doy accounts playing on the same server, other
MMORPGs has done this over and over and it has recently
become more or less a standard.

Ivory
03-12-03, 03:58
SD has a point, it will piss off a few players if we are forced to make a new character just to play the expansion... the other thing that concerns me is will there be a monthly fee for playing the expansion on top of the neocron fee? if so then it might not be that much appealing for me to play. I dont mind buying the expansion from the shops but i dont want to have to pay 2 fees one for neocron and one for DOY :(

NeoChick
03-12-03, 04:14
I really do not have a problem with paying for the expansion. These guys have to make some money and heaven knows at this stage they probably are a bit tight with the subscription money only and the new promoter will want to be paid too, it is a bit unrealistic to get everything for nothing

What would shock me is if I have to start chars from scratch
This is a year's work of maxing out a constructor, resser and barterer and very high level PSI and Tank

If all that work and tediuous collecting of imps etc was all for nothing would be extremely discouraging

I love this game but if it came to that, it would be like a new beginning and if it is in two months time only , then I would have to review my options of what other MMORPG's there are on the market
whereas if I could retain my chars then that would be a drawcard for carrying on to rather play NC

I really wish we could get an official reply to this issue because I am loosing interest now in further levelling my chars because what for? If I am going to loose those chars I'd probably better off spending my time on single player games like Deus Ex and Knights of the ... until new MMORPG's come out

Spectra260
03-12-03, 04:27
Originally posted by NeoChick
I really do not have a problem with paying for the expansion. These guys have to make some money and heaven knows at this stage they probably are a bit tight with the subscription money only and the new promoter will want to be paid too, it is a bit unrealistic to get everything for nothing

What would shock me is if I have to start chars from scratch
This is a year's work of maxing out a constructor, resser and barterer and very high level PSI and Tank

If all that work and tediuous collecting of imps etc was all for nothing would be extremely discouraging

I love this game but if it came to that, it would be like a new beginning and if it is in two months time only , then I would have to review my options of what other MMORPG's there are on the market
whereas if I could retain my chars then that would be a drawcard for carrying on to rather play NC

I really wish we could get an official reply to this issue because I am loosing interest now in further levelling my chars because what for? If I am going to loose those chars I'd probably better off spending my time on single player games like Deus Ex and Knights of the ... until new MMORPG's come out

yup...thats pretty much how i feel...and is why i made this thread:p

Spoon
03-12-03, 05:21
The only way I would pay more for Neocron/DoY or a higher monthly fee, would be if it came out with new game engine or they totally reworked the gamecode/netcode.

The Neocron map really isn't that big, as it is....
DoY, Regents Legacy OZ 7 should have already been in the game we are paying for, any further expansions I wouldn't mind paying for.....

Pay for DoY, and wipe characters or have to start a new character to utilize DoY?...Fuck that noise.....

I think you people are crazy for even considering paying for DoY, especially with the current game engine........:rolleyes:

Don't even get me started about character wipes/item wipes...... O_o

Spectra260
03-12-03, 06:10
Originally posted by Spoon
The only way I would pay more for Neocron/DoY or a higher monthly fee, would be if it came out with new game engine or they totally reworked the gamecode/netcode.

The Neocron map really isn't that big, as it is....
DoY, Regents Legacy OZ 7 should have already been in the game we are paying for, any further expansions I wouldn't mind paying for.....

Pay for DoY, and wipe characters or have to start a new character to utilize DoY?...Fuck that noise.....

I think you people are crazy for even considering paying for DoY, especially with the current game engine........:rolleyes:

Don't even get me started about character wipes/item wipes...... O_o

i think there reworking the engine though, and are suppose to really improve it...or atleast i hope so:rolleyes:

LVirus
03-12-03, 08:34
Being a ex-reroller addict I have no problem to start over again from fresh or even have to pay from DoY. Stop whining you guys and accept fate. Almost a year ago I knew that there will be NO FREE DOY but I kept that to myself :o . And about starting over .. seriously guys -- think of lvl3 imps going on like 50k not 500k :D

deac
03-12-03, 11:25
yea i have no problem starting out freash, would be fun again...

Right now i have one of every rare there is ... and the i have 2-3 of the usefull ones.... tank weapons x 3 of em all.... apu weapons x3... only thing im short of is good ppu spells hence im not going to pvp outside a op zone :P

would hurt to try and get some 5 sloted heals shelters again...

Soo in conclusion new server new skills new stuff new mobs YES PLEASE

xkorpio
03-12-03, 12:03
Look here (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83508) maybe you can get some answers

CarniFlex
03-12-03, 14:25
if doy comes in an expansion pack, and you can use it for multiple accounts...

*cough* could someone send it to me trough dc++ or mirc plz *cough*

xkorpio
03-12-03, 14:31
Look, here is the official answer (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83508&perpage=15&pagenumber=5) to your question

Jesterthegreat
03-12-03, 14:35
well i was thinkin i would quit if DoY was extra (there is nothing ingame to keep me playing as it is) however if it is a full server wipe i would play... everyone starting from scratch again...

then again i am considering getting SW:G O_o

Sealdude
04-12-03, 03:12
I think you people are crazy for even considering paying for DoY, especially with the current game engine

So KK is susspossed to come out with a new expansion and fix bugs and pay the new publisher with out getting money from people buying DOY? Yea ok whatever :rolleyes:

//Ring\\
04-12-03, 20:38
already got my ass wiped more then 4 times in beta without even knowign there was a wipe

trust me ur going to like it :P its fun doing it all over