PDA

View Full Version : CA guards getting CopBot rifles?

Scikar
02-12-03, 22:47
According to the article in the NEMA, CA guards are being upgraded with CopBot rifles. I have 2 questions about this:

1) Are other guards being similarly upgraded? I know BD guards on the test server have been given Pain Easers and BioTech guards have received CSs, but what about TG and TH guards? Didn't someone say the improved TH bots are temporary?

2) Why can't they have EPRs? With the addition of server-side death only it has become impossible for an NPC or mob to kill a player it was not targetting. If you are hit by a direct fire projectile (e.g. plasma bolt, fusion blast, bullet) launched by an NPC at a target other than yourself, then your health just yo-yos back up. Therefore there is no need to equip them with CopBot rifles. Especially with the FPS issues CopBot rifles cause. Even PSI-spells aren't too difficult for FPS, but CopBot rifles make even the fastest computers suffer. This game should have less CopBot rifles in it, not more and more.

Marx
02-12-03, 22:55
TG

I'd imagine a Malediction - would be pretty badass.

What's really need though are different types of guards, like spy guards (rifle) PE guards (pistol)... Ya' know?

:)

J. Folsom
02-12-03, 23:03
Originally posted by Scikar
Didn't someone say the improved TH bots are temporary? I'm pretty certain what was said that the ones currently in TH on test are temporary, because they were still too weak. They're most likely going to get the same kind of weaponry as the DoY bots now.

Was going to post a link to a full list, but apparently that was just some players idea, I might compile a fully changed list once I have some free time on my hands though...

Originally posted by Marx

I'd imagine a Malediction - would be pretty badass. All the TG guards used to have fusion cannons but this was changed to rifles because they either tended to kill friendly people, or just plain miss all the time because whoever they were attacking didn't stand still long enough.

msdong
02-12-03, 23:04
for TG all we need is that guards run away from the enemy instead of running towards them and do half damage

Duder
02-12-03, 23:05
I hate Plasma rifles that shoot plasma that comes from the sky, lagging my comp as well as making no logic at all.

Hey, make Copbot rifles fire normal now?

Mumblyfish
02-12-03, 23:07
You do know why making Copbot rifles fire "logically" would never work, right?

Scikar
02-12-03, 23:08
Just ditch CopBot rifles altogether and give all mobs that use them EPRs instead. EPR does more damage anyway so if anything that would be worse, except that you don't freeze whenever you get shot by one.

Duder
02-12-03, 23:13
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
You do know why making Copbot rifles fire "logically" would never work, right?

As in plasma comes out from the barrel? Yes

Or as if we were to make a fruity plasma rifle right now? No

Just make Copbots AI a bit better, give them a speed upgrade, anything, instead of seeing them crawl against the wall with a magic plasma wand +5.

Ren
02-12-03, 23:18
too many innocents died from the old copbot rifle (in my mind a good thing, this is a huge cyber punk world and these copots should enforce the law how they feel is needed) ...

but KK nerfed them for teh n00bs

Duder
02-12-03, 23:21
How about just making the copbot rifles "seem" to fire from the barrel, and keep the wank ultra 110% accuracy, monk aim no need to lock, full resist copbots that dont need drugs or ppu support as it is?

Mumblyfish
02-12-03, 23:22
What I mean is that the purpose of Copbot rifles is to eliminate troublemakers before they can cause any harm to civilians. Now, I don't know about you, but I don't think making plasma fly directly from the Copbot to said troublemaker would be pretty. Intruder decides to stand between a crowd of people in Plaza 1 and duck. Plasma kills everyone standing around him. What a mess.

And I don't think any speed upgrades, or better AI routines will fix this problem. I'm fine with the "Smite thee" rifles. Better something nonsensical than something which doesn't do it's job.

Although it would make sense if the rifles were changed to fire balls of plasma that travel in an arc. Intruder runs, Copbots aims up in the air, plasma arcs up, down, one dead TG without any innocents being harmed. Again, this would probably be impossible to program in. Arse.

Now... where was I going with this?

Scikar
02-12-03, 23:22
As I showed in the starter post, CopBots using EPRs would not kill innocents.

And an arc would also work, just take the Blast spell code.

Mumblyfish
02-12-03, 23:23
Maybe, but then it'd be even worse. Nasties could just shield themselves behind innocents and never get hurt.

Duder
02-12-03, 23:23
Eh im feeling like lomming to rifles and exclusively use a EPR now, such a bad ass weapon.

Scikar
02-12-03, 23:27
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
Maybe, but then it'd be even worse. Nasties could just shield themselves behind innocents and never get hurt.

Where do you see enough people to do this? You can't shoot in Plaza remember. Also, even though you can't be killed, you can still appear to take damage. If a CopBot fired in your direction and your health dropped, would you stand still? No, you wouldn't. And do you think it would be easy to put a moving player between you and a CopBot at all times? Not to mention the fact that CopBots are now being moved to the point where there are always more than one in the same area. In CA HQ there are almost always 2 guards able to hit you. Hiding behind someone to avoid one NPC is just about possible, but extremely difficult. Hiding behind someone to avoid 2 NPCs? No chance.

Spectra260
02-12-03, 23:27
copbot rifles shoot like psi spells incase you didnt know, so basically if you run around a corner but part of you is sticking out your still gonna get hit...

i dont like the idea of them getting copbot rifles, i wouldnt mind EPR's...or even first loves...but copbot rifles i think are just the wrong choice

Psyco Groupie
03-12-03, 00:11
unless they were really fat!

Carinth
03-12-03, 00:37
When I first found out they were plannin on having copbots kos Tsunamis, I thought up so ways to have fun. As a ppu monk I can withstand one copbot very easily, two I can handle but not indefinitly. I used to be able to take on three at a time, but we're not as strong anymore. My goal was to infiltrate the city into Plaza 1 and start having fun with the copbots. It wouldn't be that hard to get there, I can keep moving and hide in key points along the way. If you changed copbot's weapon so that it fired a projectile... I would have the time of my life. I'd cause mayhem in plaza, since I can easily withstand the shots. Yet most people in plaza aren't buffed and will fall over fast if a copbot hits them while tryin to kill me. Now you could say this is just cause I'm an overpowered ppu, but I'm sure clever players will find ways to do it anyway. It would be too much fun to resist!

As an upstanding criminal, it's my job to keep CA on their toes and having copbots murder citizens while trying to kill me.. would be perfect! Maybe it might even convince some of the sheep that Reza isn't all hes cracked up to be. :D

Scikar
03-12-03, 00:41
But as I said, nobody would actually get hurt. The worst you could do would be, god forbid, spam the plaza local chat.

Original monk
03-12-03, 15:28
Originally posted by Scikar
This game should have less CopBot rifles in it, not more and more.

Sorry for oftopic: but anyone wanting to trade or sell a working copbotrifle to me on saturn ?? i know some guys on pluto got one for an event... i want an event on saturn also involving copbotsrifles :/

sell me a working copbotrifle and you dont have to work anymore in youre neocronlife :) (im a collecter of unobvious stuff)