PDA

View Full Version : check it out --- the beginning of it all

greploco
01-12-03, 19:43
couple people had some games movies up and someone today reminded me of the old quake clans -- specificly quake 2. never was a part of that --- but quakeworld is another story.

the begining of it all --- clans, custom skins, custom clan skins, threewave capture the flag and the grappling hook. tis the oldest of the old school. the beginning of online communities, the red annihilation tournament, killcreek, thresh, team fortress. It was really something because quakeworld was all there was for a while, the whole world was playing it.

anyone remember any of this ?

anyway, here is a flick showcasing the uber of the uber. I have both low res and high res versions --- if you can handle the bandwidth go high res, it looks and sounds much nicer.

if you don't know anything about the quake 1 game environment, take my word for it -- the guys in this clip were probably among the best in the world.

http://64.177.97.97/video.htm

just test downloded the clips, should be fine

they are divx encoded, if you can't play them download the decoder from

http://www.divx.com/

QuantumDelta
01-12-03, 21:45
If Quake 2 is old skool I must be rotting....

amfest
01-12-03, 21:48
*picks up a finger off the ground . .. errr QD I think this belongs to you :D

Richard Adregen
01-12-03, 21:49
Wait a minute! THAT'S MY FINGER! Give that back RIGHT... now... *tongue falls out of mouth and decomposes*

RA.

shodanjr_gr
01-12-03, 21:49
DAmn, 60 megs for the low res. Wish i had the spare time to DL it!!!

Mumblyfish
01-12-03, 21:51
I was in diapers when you were playing Quake II. But still, the oldest I harken back to is Doom (sad, I know, but I made up for it by spending extortionate amounts of money buying the oldies, and a decrepid PC to play them on) and the days of keyboard-for-all.

Hell, I remember playing a friend on LAN so long ago. I was confident that I was the Doom champion, noone else at my school had beat me on any map. And besides, I'd kicked his arse many a time. But he brought a new peripheral. What the fuck? A mouse? What was he going to do, use Paint on my ass?

I've never been so proverbially owned in all my life.

I see him in front of me, start frantically tapping away at keys... before I can do anything he pulls a fucking 180 degree turn in less than a second. Ker-chik BOOM! And again... Ker-chik DEAD! This sorry cycle lasted for about half an hour before he took me down Newcastle and, using all my month's pocket money, bought me a mouse.

I'll never forget the time I bought my first mouse...

Drake6k
01-12-03, 21:58
Quake 2 will always be the best deathmatch style game.

I was in USA, highest ranking deathmatch clan for a long while.
Later I got into 1v1 duels and tricks.

Anyone else play Q2 WF - Weapons Factory? I LOVED IT. The quake 3 version did a good job recreating the levels and gameplay but not nearly as good.

Downloading the video now...

RuButt
01-12-03, 22:00
Q1 > Q2

Quake 1 was teh shit!

retr0n
01-12-03, 22:01
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
I was in diapers when you were playing Quake II. But still, the oldest I harken back to is Doom (sad, I know, but I made up for it by spending extortionate amounts of money buying the oldies, and a decrepid PC to play them on) and the days of keyboard-for-all.

Hell, I remember playing a friend on LAN so long ago. I was confident that I was the Doom champion, noone else at my school had beat me on any map. And besides, I'd kicked his arse many a time. But he brought a new peripheral. What the fuck? A mouse? What was he going to do, use Paint on my ass?

I've never been so proverbially owned in all my life.

I see him in front of me, start frantically tapping away at keys... before I can do anything he pulls a fucking 180 degree turn in less than a second. Ker-chik BOOM! And again... Ker-chik DEAD! This sorry cycle lasted for about half an hour before he took me down Newcastle and, using all my month's pocket money, bought me a mouse.

I'll never forget the time I bought my first mouse...

*sheds a tear*

those were the days...

Psycho Killa
01-12-03, 22:02
lmao no way quake 1 was better.

If quake 2 is old school and qd is rotting.... and the first game i played online was quake1.... how is it that im only 20 lol. You guys are making me feel old.

Though my favorite mod of all times was runequake for quake 1.
Omg it was a blast theyre where different ruins that woudl spawn that gave u special powers until u died and dropped the ruin. One of them made u look like one of them spawned a mob that would follow you around and kill everyone that wasnt you. One of them was the orb of death where u had a small ball rotate around you and if someone touch it it was instant death :). Along with the more traditional speed bursts damage enhancers etc common in most fps'.

RuButt
01-12-03, 22:04
first game: WarCraft 1
first game that i played online: Quake 1

Q2 / Q3 will never ever compare with Q1!

got a server that i can fix up if anyone is up for a Q1 game ;)

if u gimme teh server shite.....no idea where to find it theese days

Rith
01-12-03, 22:14
Duke Nukem 3D > ID Software's greatest

The sheer pleasure of shrinking your oppponent and chasing the fecker around to stamp on his head is a joy never to be seen again in PVP (until Duke Nukem Forever is released... around 2019)

amfest
01-12-03, 22:17
lol Psycho Killa
. i'm 27 .. now I think in making you feel old . .I've just made myself feel even "older" :eek:

Psycho Killa
01-12-03, 22:20
Omg duke nukem was the most fun game ever. I hope they ever come around to making/releasing duke nukem forever. :(

You think doy is late? HAH

shodanjr_gr
01-12-03, 22:21
Does playing doom over a network count as playing online?? Because i was doing just that when i was 7!!!!!! OMG I OWN J00!!!!!

Beat this old zch001!!!

greploco
01-12-03, 22:49
btw --- this is Q1, not Q2

never got into Q2

heh, yeah doom, was awesome -- never was an internet game though. it was rare and lucky to play that on a lan.

but if you really want to get old -- go on about wolfenstein 3D

that's actually before my time

greploco
02-12-03, 00:09
forgot about the duke, that was one kick ass game. and lol, duke nukem forever --- the company developing that invented the answer "when it's done!". the movie they released for it is downright awesome though. You know, I think they might actually still be working on it, but they may have just hacked up what they had and released it under a differnt name to make cash.

so ....

I'll put that up too, same page

and another little tidbit I found

same link

http://64.177.97.97/video.htm

and yeah --- I have heard about the wepons factory mod, that was a while ago, by the time it came out I was getting out of the game, but it was rreeel popular

so did anyone check out the flicks ?

//Ring\\
02-12-03, 17:07
lol i think the first game i ever played on a comp was wolfenstein 3D, it came with MS-DOS back in 1996 when i bought my first comp

it was a monster at 100 mhz and 1 mb ram 0.o it could run EVERYTHING lol
actually i played in that comp till like 2000 :p eventually the sims was making the cpu fry up after 40 minutes of playime

probably the first game i played online was starcraft but im sure i played Q1 demo version online at least once, the begginings of my online fps owning career ;)

Oath
02-12-03, 17:15
Doom, Online mod > quake :D

Doom was the first and best fps i played and when some twat made a network patch it was MORE fun :D

Leebzie
02-12-03, 17:21
The first thing I ever installed all by myself was a Transport Tycoon Deluxe Demo :cool:

Omg I was teh proud.

I started PC's on a green monitor, who's most entertaining feature was Dr.Logo :lol:

First real game I played was Doom, but not addictively. My first obsessional game was Transport Tycoon (the normal one) which consumed my life.

Strych9
02-12-03, 17:38
I loved DN3D. Best thing about it, like all of the Quake series, is that you never had to install it... you could just copy the entire folder over, and it ran fine.

I used to work for the state, and in our offices my bud and I had DN3D installed on our machines. We would stay after hours, and copy the folders across the network onto the machines of our employers, and then have friends come up and LAN. When done, we just deleted the folder, and put their desks back to normal. :)

DN3d was great for the following:

1. Taunts. We loaded up the Full Metal Jacket and Evil Dead Part 2 sound taunts. Mad fun.

2. Pipe Bombs

3. Laser Tripmines

4. Laser tripmines that could set off the pipe bombs.

We always played this one custom made levels with tons of fortresses looking into a central area. I always made a dash for a certain one, that had a door that opened upward, and behind it was a wall. Ditch a few pipe bombs on the ground, and then put a few laser mines on the wall, facing the door. As that door was the only way in... invariably someone in the heat of battle would forget I was in there, run up to the door, and as it raised it would set off the laser mines, and blow the f@ck up whoever was standing there.

Good times.

Mumblyfish
02-12-03, 17:46
Originally posted by Leebzie
My first obsessional game was Transport Tycoon (the normal one) which consumed my life.

Thanks to my Pocket PC, it still does to this day. Especially since I patched it up. Time limit begone!

Rawr!

//Ring\\
02-12-03, 20:09
Thanks to my Pocket PC, it still does to this day. Especially since I patched it up. Time limit begone!

lol ahh the evolution.. from block sized things to gettin into internet and playing with 32 bit quality (and in color) in a cellphone.. :P