PDA

View Full Version : Person beats Mario 3 in 11 minutes.

t0rqu3
01-12-03, 16:11
http://poststuff.entensity.net/112603/mario.php

Wow, just watch, k?

Archeus
01-12-03, 16:18
Hmm white screen. cool.

Mumblyfish
01-12-03, 16:20
Shit, this video is making the rounds on every message board I visit. Popular.

Every time I saw the first Death Ship level being done, my drawers hit the floor, and much fapping commenced. The accuracy and memorisation needed to get that many 1-Ups WITHOUT exploiting was immense.

Good skills.

Glorfindel
01-12-03, 16:20
Incredible... lol

evs
01-12-03, 16:21
lol someone who's kept play thie game since release (what nearly 10 years?!?) bloody should be able to!

RuButt
01-12-03, 16:24
he is japaneese.....what else do i need to say? :p

Jesterthegreat
01-12-03, 16:24
filtered page dammit lol

J. Folsom
01-12-03, 16:26
That's insane, seriously. It's also vaguely impressive, but it's mostly just insane.

Furion
01-12-03, 16:27
holy hell! h4x!
i watched the entire video, that was insane!

*goes to play mario*

L0KI
01-12-03, 16:28
When i watch that video, i picture a fat, balding sweaty man who has:

a) Never lost his virginity
b) Played Mario3 WAY too many times
c) double jointed thumbs

nuff said.

Jesterthegreat
01-12-03, 16:30
Originally posted by L0KI

c) double jointed thumbs

nuff said.

ONOZ! it was rabbi! lol j/k mate :lol:

Archeus
01-12-03, 16:30
Is there a link somewhere to download it rather then just trying to view it and fail.

... Nevermind. Created a webpage on desktop with a link to
http://www.stanford.edu/~jmpark/moSMB3.wmv

So I can save it.

J. Folsom
01-12-03, 16:33
Originally posted by Archeus
Is there a link somewhere to download it rather then just trying to view it and fail. Here ya go:

http://www.stanford.edu/~jmpark/moSMB3.wmv

Mumblyfish
01-12-03, 16:39
Originally posted by L0KI

c) double jointed thumbs

nuff said.

Or, you know, it could just be someone who's really good at Mario.

Shujin
01-12-03, 16:45
who knew a plumber could do all that

Rizzy
01-12-03, 16:46
seen it before, still good though

SnotNosedBrat
01-12-03, 17:09
did he use the secret areas to get the flute things? if not then that is crazy, if so, i think i did it pretty quick when i was about 6 or 7 :O

but not 11 minutes maybe 35-40

shodanjr_gr
01-12-03, 17:09
omfg....11 min, cant believe it! We used to play this game for ages with my cousin, i dont thikn weve beat it yet!

Jesterthegreat
01-12-03, 17:11
yeah he used the flutes. i could complete it in less than an hour with ease... but this is an impressive clip :p

Syntax-Error
01-12-03, 17:13
Dosnt this just prove that guy has WAAAAY to much time...

Thundercade
01-12-03, 17:19
thats superhuman, he's jumping at objects that havent yet appeared on the screen and meeting them when they appear :)

The optimist is me says good job but the cynic says he's running that on an emulator and he's got an AI player holding the virtual gamepad ;) Set up a neural net and play Mario 3 through a few times to train it and I bet the comp could do it for you in record time...

Jesterthegreat
01-12-03, 17:23
maybe hes so sad he knows all the timings? i know people who do that in a game...

i know people who know the exact runspeed in counterstrike and if they watch someone run behind something, they know exactly where / when to shoot to headshot them either through the wall or the split second the head leaves the wall :p

Marx
01-12-03, 17:26
I suspect haxing.

Or the lack of a girlfriend.

shodanjr_gr
01-12-03, 17:27
Originally posted by Jesterthegreat
maybe hes so sad he knows all the timings? i know people who do that in a game...

i know people who know the exact runspeed in counterstrike and if they watch someone run behind something, they know exactly where / when to shoot to headshot them either through the wall or the split second the head leaves the wall :p

Bah u gota hate those geeks, i hate them cause i cant tell wether they are cheating or got some uber geeky skill!!!!

Jesterthegreat
01-12-03, 17:28
or possibly both? :p

Syntax-Error
01-12-03, 17:30
i know the runspeed in CS... but thats just like 4 years solid playing it :P (its 1.45353533424411m a second ... lol)

Mumblyfish
01-12-03, 17:31
I still play Mario 3 to this day. There was no "haxing" involved. Levels like the Death Ship are all patterns which can be learnt through enough practice, and absolutely nothing in that game is random. No cheats, just a good memory and bloody amazing dexterity, especially with a NES pad.

There was ONE time when a cannonball seemed to hit Mario's cap, but I watched it over and over, and noticed that he did the "underwater trick", whereby if you swim while holding down (like he obviously did), your hitbox decreases, yet the animation doesn't show it.

Mad skills!

Marx
01-12-03, 17:33
How can a person not want to get the racoon suit?

That shit was the bomb.

Mumblyfish
01-12-03, 17:33
Originally posted by Marx
How can a person not want to get the racoon suit?

That shit was the bomb.

KURIBO'S SHOE!!

Xian
01-12-03, 18:15
Originally posted by Thundercade
thats superhuman, he's jumping at objects that havent yet appeared on the screen and meeting them when they appear :)

The optimist is me says good job but the cynic says he's running that on an emulator and he's got an AI player holding the virtual gamepad ;) Set up a neural net and play Mario 3 through a few times to train it and I bet the comp could do it for you in record time...

My friend can get up to around 90 lives on that cannonball level just like that guy did, it's all about timing and knowing exactly how to jump.

Kasumi
01-12-03, 18:26
Well to be honest that isn't that great. Something like that takes a bit of a practice I could easily do that. :) No that isn't a brag, what he did isn't hard. For the average player doing the level up thing yes that takes time to learn. But completeling it in that time isn't to difficult.

Tratos
01-12-03, 18:31
:eek: buh...buh.....buh.........OMG H4X!!

lol, thats fuckin amazing

~T

Psyco Groupie
01-12-03, 19:12
someone save it and upload it, im behind a proxy and media player cant connect :P

Shakey -=Tank=-
01-12-03, 20:25
Jesus I just watched it and that dude must know mario 3 better than he knows himself. Damn I used to love that game when I was a nipper.

I can imagine quite a few ppl trying to beat his time and more of these vids getting released.

Ormy
01-12-03, 21:01
If nothing in the game is random, as it probably isnt, then learning all the timings just take lots of time and determination, and not that much skill.

Call me sad but i used to know MGS (Metal Gear Solid, for Playstation) inside out. The path of every guard, how long he waited, what direction he faced, the same with some of the boses. Damn i love that game.

Mumblyfish
01-12-03, 21:03
Originally posted by Ormy
If nothing in the game is random, as it probably isnt, then learning all the timings just take lots of time and determination, and not that much skill.

Erm... surely that is in itself skill? Not only that, but I play the All Stars version pretty much every day, and I know all the enemy patterns for the world 1 -> warp whistle -> world 8 route. But I'll be damned if I could pull it off without dying. Because knowing the patterns is only one part of it, being able to successfully pull everything off (with amazing dexterity and accuracy) is a whole different kettle of cocks.

SeXy Happy
01-12-03, 21:11
The only game that I knew inside and out on the NES was Surf and Skate or something like that. It was the one that you could surf or you could skate, there was a big ape in it too.

I could skate through the entire game blindfolded...literally. Same patterns over and over again I built up the ability to beat it blindfolded...surfing was another matter though. And I did this when I was a little kid. Man I loved that NES.

g0rt
01-12-03, 21:18
no good

he used the flute exploit

:p

Mumblyfish
01-12-03, 21:27
It's not an exploit. The challenge was to complete the game as fast as possible, and the fastest way is to use the hidden warp whistles (note that they're part of the game, even mentioned in the manual... they're not cheats) to jump straight to the last world.

Ingrates :D

shodanjr_gr
01-12-03, 21:48
Originally posted by SeXy Happy
The only game that I knew inside and out on the NES was Surf and Skate or something like that. It was the one that you could surf or you could skate, there was a big ape in it too.

I could skate through the entire game blindfolded...literally. Same patterns over and over again I built up the ability to beat it blindfolded...surfing was another matter though. And I did this when I was a little kid. Man I loved that NES.

Damn i love teh nes. Heck i got it around here somewhere. Loved Zelda on it!!!!

SeXy Happy
01-12-03, 21:54
Yeah meh too. I had a friend go around and start asking friends if they had old NES games that they didnt want and wouldn't mind giving him. I thought sure hell, I dont play it. When I went over to his house he had a HUGE collection going form games that he got from people. Alot of them were doubles.

He had about 3 of the Zelda. That was my favorite game and I am really wanting to play it now, too bad my NES doesnt work or I would go pick it up. Oh well.

Shadow Dancer
01-12-03, 21:54
That's just incredibly amazing. Very impressive. When he did the THIRD ship in the last world, my heart was racing. lol. He had amazing dexterity and some of the tricks he used had me laughing. Like the part where he went through the wall at the very end near the ONE UP. lol

Originally posted by Ormy

Call me sad but i used to know MGS (Metal Gear Solid, for Playstation) inside out. The path of every guard, how long he waited, what direction he faced, the same with some of the boses. Damn i love that game.

Ya same here. I played MSG the same way this guy played Mario 3 lol.

And I'm talking on Extreme mode. :p

VashTheSoldier
01-12-03, 22:39
holy cheese!!! that was awsome :eek:

t0tt3
01-12-03, 22:41
loooooooool best part is when he jumps on all cannonballs and get 1UP all the time O_o impressive hmm hes Korean :P

Mumblyfish
01-12-03, 22:43
Originally posted by t0tt3
hmm hes Korean :P

Because, as much as we don't want to admit it, people in the west suck at being uber. We just have to call people "motherfucking bitches" a lot to make up for it.

Edit: Great siggy, Shadow. Should have used the Sapphire/Ruby graphics, though. Because they ownzorz j00 n00ben...

Spy<VS>Spy
02-12-03, 00:03
pretty impressive i must say, all the mario levels are scripted yes but still to memorize those levels to get the timeing down so complete is pretty good. nerves of steel and especailly a really good memory is needed.

though its sure funny to watch. in the words of glacius.

"There is something wrong with those japanese"

well, okay he called them something else but i'll remain PC. ;)

this game was released for the gameboy advanced recently as well. so if you dont have your super 88 system. heh...ahh, those where the days.

Anna
02-12-03, 00:03
lol i was like ... o_O ... 8| .... :eek:

really nice, though i too expect a serious lack of women in his life :lol:

t0tt3
02-12-03, 00:11
Originally posted by Mumblyfish
Because, as much as we don't want to admit it, people in the west suck at being uber. We just have to call people "motherfucking bitches" a lot to make up for it.

Best country in CS? "Well its the biggest game so far and the pricemoney just getting bigger and bigger"

so? Yea thats right sweden wooohoooo kicking all the best butts in Korea and US :p:eek: :D :rolleyes:

]v[ortice
02-12-03, 00:44
Great to Watch.

It could have been a cut and paste job tho.

I agree the guy played all the levels, but I bet he cut out the ones where he died and added his best ever goes instead :)

t0tt3
02-12-03, 01:07
Originally posted by ]v[ortice
Great to Watch.

It could have been a cut and paste job tho.

I agree the guy played all the levels, but I bet he cut out the ones where he died and added his best ever goes instead :)

Yea thats why he brings in 1000 1UP:s hehehe so you cant see it :rolleyes:

BeaNo
02-12-03, 01:35
*clap clap*
just finished watching it, mightly impressed

1up 1up 1up 1up 1up 1up had to giggle at that :)

Vampire222
02-12-03, 01:42
and he skips rite to the end, with the faggot flutes

Glok
02-12-03, 01:45
shut up faggot u r dumb

REMUS
02-12-03, 01:59
wow...... pretty damn impressive, although its not likely to suduce a lady well a *normal lady* ive been playing this game a year obbsessivly and i think thats stupid but i have to admit i doubt ill ever be as good in pvp as that guy is at mario 3!!!!

Shadow Dancer
02-12-03, 02:12
Originally posted by Glok
shut up faggot u r dumb

Dude homophobic flames get you an insta 3 day ban. Why can't people remember this, this is why people get banned mysteriously for 3 days lol.

Glok
02-12-03, 02:14
I was replying to him calling the flutes faggot, not necessarily him. :p

But I'll leave that there, cause it's funny, even if I get a temp ban.

Lenard
02-12-03, 02:20
This video is actually pretty old. Er I should say the method to make the video.

A while back a video was made for Mario 1. The person eventually confessed that he played the emulator in slow mode. Those of you who have emulators know you can record your play to a file.

Well he played back the play file, except he played it back in normal speed while feeding video out to a vcr, then later played back that video to a video capture card and made a movie.

Since then there have been many movies made with many different games. This topic has been beaten to death on japanese forums.

You guys are like 2 years behind.

REMUS
02-12-03, 02:26
maybe, maybe not, even on slow mode co-ordination of that type would be hard, and if he did do it normally well hes a console god!

Lenard
02-12-03, 02:33
No it's not a matter of maybe or maybe not. Go search around some forums and youll learn how these videos are done. It's pretty easy, I made a playback for Donky Kong Country played in -16 to -32 and it looks like I'm super Kong.

ino
02-12-03, 03:10
Heheh ahh wierd.. But you heavent seen impressive until you have seen Qauke done quick the last one :) thats the shit 12:23 on nightmare...

Zanathos
02-12-03, 07:41
Its not really wierd... but..... wow.... its amazing when you look at it.

Put it this way.

I know where every enemy is on every difficulty and where enemies pop out from if alarms go off in Goldeneye for N 64. Except of course the levels that are random.

Same goes for Perfect Dark.

Its not hard.

BTW... @ Ormy

If I had Metal Gear Solid for my Playstation id probably memorize the guard patterns just as well.

Unfortunatly, I dont have it.

METAL GEAR SOLID OWNZ ALL SPY GAMES!

FatDogg
02-12-03, 10:48
fuck

yeah, I have super mario 1 memorzied, me and my friends used to race on it on two different screens, but I dont think we have this uhhhh.... determination or video knowledge?

Archeus
02-12-03, 11:24
Originally posted by t0tt3
impressive hmm hes Korean :P

Japanese I would of thought considering his name is in Japanese and it points to a japanese website.

garyu69
02-12-03, 11:31
Thats impressive.
Very fast.

Is it just me though or has he somehow cheated to get to world 8?

I am sure that you need three magic whistles to get to world 8

Mumblyfish
02-12-03, 12:14
Nope, using the method he did, it's entirely possible to go straight to World 8.

I'll try to find the Metroid Prime Done Quick video. I have all of it on my hard disk, but can't host the bugger. 100% item completion in an hour and a half. It is absolutely fuggin' insane.

FatDogg
06-12-03, 09:34
ever see Quake 1 finished in under 30 minutes?
Some people complained that it wasnt fully complete, so another was released with 100% items and monsters in 1.5 hrs, the guy is at monster spawns before they are there and telefrags them

its sick

Psycho_Soldier
06-12-03, 09:41
I've been investigating how this guy beat this game. He cheated using game genie, He uses the skywalk cheat, there are just some moves that he does which is impossible to do without it. He still has some skill though.

FatDogg
06-12-03, 09:52
no I think the other guys are right about slowing it down, I've seen the feature on my emulator but never toyed with it, but I used to mod multiplayer doom2 so that the game was about 3 times faster.... fun server....

Mumblyfish
06-12-03, 11:47
Originally posted by Psycho_Soldier
I've been investigating how this guy beat this game. He cheated using game genie, He uses the skywalk cheat, there are just some moves that he does which is impossible to do without it. He still has some skill though.

He doesn't skywalk, look carefully. He skims just past the heads of monsters and hits A at the right time to rise even higher. He's got the timing hammered so well he doesn't even fall. He keeps doing this to move up diagonally until he reaches the cloud at the top of the level (you really have to look for the cloud, since he's so fast, but it's there) which he then immediately jumps off.

No cheats.

Edit: This video was recorded off a TV from an actual NES. I've done it before, with River City Ransom, and it looks exactly like that.

QuantumDelta
06-12-03, 13:14
I guess I was the only person that was left thinking "For a guy or gal who has obviously played this game that much, he/she made an ass load of mistakes..."
Infact, the only part done perfectly, was the very final part vs bowser...
I can't do better without practise, but it's far from perfect...

FatDogg
06-12-03, 19:29
you mean QD ain't perfect... *gasp* impossible

KRIMINAL99
06-12-03, 19:43
Nah thats not hax or anything when I was a kid I did all that stuff with anticipating the stuff not on the screen yet when and flying through bouncing off everything... You just play a board once or twice and just automatically know where everything is going to show up.

never kept at it till I could beat the game in 11 min with 99 lives tho thats pretty funny

In case you missed it he did use many exploits but since exploits don't get fixed in 1 player console games you can't really complain about it heh I mean you have to or the next guy would put a video using the exploits and get credit lol...

I kinda have to wonder tho why he is playing NES super mario 3 at this point... was it remade for game boy or something? I mean that thing is like what 11,12 yrs old lol

Mumblyfish
06-12-03, 20:16
Mario Bros. 3, if memory serves, was released in early 1990. 13 years. That's just going off my immaculate knowledge of the Mushroom Kingdom, though. ;)

It was remade for...

Super Mario All Stars (SNES) released in 1993, as part of a compilation. Graphical upgrades, but no physics were changed. That said, they did fix up the odd bug, so I don't know if this could be done on All Stars.

It was recently remade for Super Mario Advance 4 (GBA) this year. Pretty much completely redone, many things have changed. There have been slight changes to the physics in regards to jumping.

Tah-dah!

Edit: And he did it on the NES version because... well, it's BETTER. It's just more impressive to do it on the original than the remakes.

//Ring\\
07-12-03, 03:27
i think this guy needs to lay off his mariocrack for a while.. ;)

Shakey -=Tank=-
07-12-03, 03:54
After watching that video I reckon the guy is too far gone on his mariocrack addiction to give it up now :lol: I bet his thumbs r f**ked from that crappy NES pad, Nintendo didn't know about ergonomics back then ;)

Mumblyfish
07-12-03, 13:10
He would have probably used a better pad (if he didn't... good God...) like teh NINTENDO ADVANTAGE! RAWR!

http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives/photos/NesAdvantage.jpg

Just think, if you get a NES Advantage, you too can be one of these cool kids. YOU CAN WEAR JUMPERS! HOMOYAY!

http://www.8bitjoystick.com/archives/photos/NesAdvantageBox.jpg